Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by tectactoe on 09-20-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 20
3.59/5  rDev -0.8%

Orange and grapefruit in aroma, with a touch of caramel malt. Flavor is fairly sweet, with a slightly medicinal, candy note. Flavor also add a resiny, lightly bitter character. Would be better without that medicinal note.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Ashley's in Westland for a Dark Horse tap takeover. Opaque, copper-brown body, surprisingly dim and not quite as vibrant as blood oranges themselves. The creamy, eggshell head gets a nice froth going and leaves a few solid rings of lacing behind during the first few sips of the brew. Nice looking, but nothing to write home about.

The aroma is a little perplexing at first, mainly because I don't think I've ever smelled anything quite like it. "Spicy" orange flesh (spicy was the best descriptor I had), orange peel, mild residual sugars, Pez candy-like sweetness, and a touch of soft, grainy wheat. Is this a wheat beer? I need to confirm, but I definitely can pull some wheat from the nose. I wish the "blood" orange aspect was a little more tart and vibrant, however.

I also get a lot of wheat with the first sip... This really tastes like a fruited wheat beer, though I can't say for sure. Hints of orange zest - again, not as strong as I'd like, and more akin to regular oranges or tangerines than actual "blood oranges". It's missing that vibrantly tart and juicy aspect. There's a mild tartness mid-palate, but it does little to satisfy my full, blood orange craving.

Dry, wheat-filled finish with some toasted bread flavors in the finish. By this time, most of the fruit has faded, leaving the mouth yeasty and bready; sort of clumpy. Thin and crisp body, expected from the style and ABV (style meaning, "fruit beer"). I will say that the liveliness of the oranges grows with warmth and the beer gets better... but I still feel like these are original oranges, and not special blood oranges.

Reign in Blood Orange is a decent fruit ale, through and through. It has the chance to be great, but the blood orange character needs to be more... well... blood orange-y. Believe me, you can tell a difference between a blood orange and a regular orange. This is missing the tart spike and mildly bitter finish of the blood oranges. Still a nice beer, but nothing I'd constantly go out of my way to get.

Reign In Blood Orange from Dark Horse Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.