Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mad Brewer Porter | The Brew Keeper

Style: American Porter

Added by joekfsu on 05-05-2008

Reviews by AwYeh:

None found.

Appearance- Deep chestnut brown- almost black. Nice tan head. Light on lace.

Smell- Toasty malts, with cocoa and some hoppiness to balance.

Taste- Nice, focused malt flavor. Some roastiness and light coffee. Good hops to balance.

Mouthfeel- Medium body. Appropriate for the style. Good carbonation.

Drinkability- Pretty drinkable for a porter. Lots of flavor, but still quite refreshing and not overpowering.

Thanks to Aw Yeh (I guess) for splitting this with me.

Appearance - This looks quite obviously infected. A few inches of alcohol with a fist-full of head that is not quick to diminish.

Smell - Smells like sugary water. No other properties whatsoever.

Taste - This tastes absolutely HORRIBLE. WHAT IS THIS. This is most definitely not a porter; let alone a beer. Just an awful watery disgusting sewer taste.

Mouthfeel / Disgusting - I really hate to put this down but honestly this is the worst beer I've ever had in my life. No more than a few sips could be downed without me wanting to gag. Sour skunked sewer all throughout with a ridiculous unneeded head.

3.28/5  rDev +51.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with 2 cm of tan head that is slowly diminishing. Initial flavor is balanced and very light, nothing really comes out. Ends kind of nutty. There is some creaminess too. Thin to medium body, some lacing, no noted carbonation, and hint of alcohol noted. OK beer, I think its above its rating, but not by much.

1.32/5  rDev -39.2%

Not sure of bottle date but i live in ohio so for a porter it should be fine. I have tried a couple of there other brews (average) and thought i would give this a try. All i can say is WINE! It looked like beer had the mouthfeel of beer and smelled and tasted like wine! My wife (average light beer drinker) smelled it and said it smelled like prune juice. Instant drain pour and my first in a long time. Off batch? I know they are a brew here est. and i guess brew there own also. Even if it was a bad batch where is the quality control?

1.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Rec'd as an extra in a recent trade.

Pours black. Smell sends up scarlet flags, & they reek of buttery corruption. Scarcely a hint of porter in the air.

Mad Brewer Porter is going to be my second drain-pour in a week, a new world's record. This is plainly infected, with a grainy, bitter, buttery popcorn taste to it, layered on top of a musty, slightly sour tone.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the BA below me. There must be a bad batch of this going around, because this is not good. Fed to the sink.

Mad Brewer Porter from The Brew Keeper