Hite | Hite Brewery Company LTD

Korea (South)
hite.com

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

Yes, had this on many a night in Teagu outside the gates of Camp Henry. It's an unfortunate beer. Tastes a little less like perspiration than OB, but still - the taste is still there.

1.09/5  rDev -55.9%

Appearance – This was light orange in color with an up-and-down head and a bit of effervescence.

Smell – Oh, this is nasty. The rotten grain and cheap sugars are just horrible.

Taste – This is Pale Lager at its worst. The cheap Gummi-Bear sweetness is retched, and the nasty grain notes almost made me vomit.

Mouthfeel – I couldn’t hold this in between my cheeks long enough to gauge the mouthfeel, but it’s thin I’m sure.

Sinkability – I wouldn’t drink this again if someone paid me to. The s-hite refrence was already used, so I’ll just assume that the word “hite” is Korean for, “nasty-ass crap in a bottle.”

1.37/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Beer flavored water...seriously. no aroma, no taste...Even the color is very light, noticed on pour, it seems more clear than golden...not horrendous, but there isn’t much here to taste or savor either. Another country ticked....

1.38/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

640 ml brown bottle. 20070312 date code on label.

Clear pale yellow, any lighter and it would be the color of water.

Aroma is not good. Faint smell of latex gloves.

Flavor is very bland, some hints of lemon and honey but that is barely there.

Overly carbonated like bud light and that’s the only thing that let me know I was drinking beer.

1.4/5  rDev -43.3%

According to the bottle, a Korean brew that I drank from the bottle (sorry, no visual descriptives as a prelude) but since there were other reviews on this, just had to put my 2 cents in. A strange empty tasting brew (?malts?) with no flavor. But there must be something in it, because it leaves an awful aftertaste.

1.41/5  rDev -42.9%

I worked in South Korea for a few weeks. I had to try at least one Korean beer, and because of my ticking nature I had to take some notes :)

A: Pours a dull, but translucent light yellow color. A tiny white film forms, but fades with no lace what so ever.
S: Overcooked vegetables, adjunct like rice, sulfur, and metal. Pretty offensive to the senses.
T: It does nor get much better. That same overcooked vegetables, sulfur and metal flavor that is in the nose. Sour with some light pale malts. This is bad.
M/D: Thin, watery, week. I could barley finish the bottle. Really bad on this front.

I had to try some just because I was there. Really bad though. I was not expecting much, but US macros are much better than this no matter what kind of beers you like. All I can say is that this was another tick.

1.41/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Hite? A Korean beer that was purchased in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Huh, go figure.

Well, in an endeavor to be a goo beer advocate and try everything new I can find, I was in a Korean food store in the dead center of South America and encountered Hite.

It's notable the that "cold meter" on the bottle label has apparently reached Korea, and my bottle indicated that it was the appropriate time to drink. Unfortunately there were no cups available to see the beer to evaluate it properly. But it was obviously the golden/pale lager color. Smell was dull at best, and taste followed suit. Hite gives you the effervescent sensation as any other mass produced lager. Would I drink it again? Not a chance. The only uniqueness to this beer is that it's the only Korean beer I've ever had.

1.48/5  rDev -40.1%

not good.

pours a pale yellow with a small white head that quickly goes away, not much lacing.

smell is a typical lager smell, somewhat sour.

taste is watery, grain, sourish malt, touch of corn, ends with a strange aftertaste that is somewhat nutty.

1.48/5  rDev -40.1%

Alright, it's my first beer review, and fairly reviewing a beer of this low quality is quite a challenge, but I've tried to be as fair as I could.

Appearance - The carbonation is very high, very champagne like. The head retention is very poor, which makes me think of cola soda foam. The color is very light in the yellow-ish tones, almost transparent. The beer is crystal clear.

Smell - The smell is difficult to describe. It smells very alcoholic, and it smells like aluminium. This couldn't come from where it was conditioned, since I poured it from a glass bottle. There is a smell very far away and discrete which reminds me of a very faint earthy hop. But this is very far away.

Taste - The taste is as the smell. Very aluminum-ish, the hops are non-existent, and it's very alcoholic considering the alcohol percentage. The beer is absolutely unbalanced. The alcohol is too much overpowering.

Mouthfeel - The beer is very much over carbonated, yet watery. It's a very thing mouthfeel, yet aggressive.

Drinkability - It's definitely not appealing and I wouldn't drink another one. Definitely not.

1.5/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear, pale yellow with a skim of white foam that instantly shrinks to nothing. Green apple skin, corn and cereal grains with some dusky, herbal hop notes in the aroma. Light and grainy with a distinct cheap, adjunct beer quality. Sweet and corny with a touch of washed out hop bittering. Light and highly carbonated. Why is this beer exported..it really isn't worthy, I've had American malt liquors that blow this crap import away. No thanks.

1.52/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

only if you wanna get drunk and want carbonation. People usually mix this with soju which is Korean distilled beverage

1.53/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12oz. can; no "canned on" or "best before" warning.

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw-colored gold; fine, two-fingered head; not much in the way of head retention or lacing.

Aroma: Largely or cooked corn and grain; slight vegetal hints.

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with a faint bitterness in the finish; predominant flavor characteristic is of grain; light bodied; crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: One word, "s-hite".

Hite from Hite Brewery Company LTD