Hite | Hite Brewery Company LTD

View: Beers

2.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.5/5  rDev +41.1%

3.91/5  rDev +57.7%

My first beer of New Beer Sunday (Abeyance Week 1)! I got this CAN through BeerDocT after I reviewed if from a bottle and realized that it was also available in CANs. I then put some feelers out among previous CAN reviewers and Doc and I set up a small trade to keep The CANQuest (TM) humming along. This is how we do ...

From the CAN: "The open mark turns blue at optimal tasting temperature"; "Clean tasting, Refreshing beer"; "preserved by F.T.K. (Fresh Taste Keeping) System".

Ha! As a retired sailor, any time F (foxtrot) is used as an abbreviation, the default position is "F*c*", so I CAN see this as F*c* This KAN! That's just me, though. Hey, when did FTW become "For the Win", vice "F the World", which is what it always used to mean?

Onward! A Crack followed by a no-holds-barred Glug produced a massive two-plus fingers of fizzing, foamy bone-white head with very limited retention. Hey, if I'd have known you were going to leave so quickly, I would not have bothered showering! Ya hear me, ya jagov?!? Bye! On an up note, the color was a deep-golden yellow to make Midas and Croesus proud, coupled with NE-quality clarity enabling me to read the postcard offering me a a complimentary entree for my birthday. I will be headed to PHL tomorrow to the University City Mad Mex to take them up on their offer. Once again, I digress ... Nose had the sweetish smell of pure unadulterated lager, no adjuncts, and my mouth began to water. I swear, there are more CANned AALs than I would have ever imagined. Mouthfeel was a tad thin and it tasted like lager with Noble hops, slightly tangy, mellow in a grassy way. Yum! Finish was semi-dry and definitely refreshing, so kudos for them for truth in advertising. It really is not a bad beer and I would probably fill a cooler with it for a day at the beach. YMMV.

3.12/5  rDev +25.8%

Bought a 640 ml Bottle of this from Friar Tuck's in Fenton, MO for $1.99. Poured from the Silver/Baby Blue labeled bottle into a 16oz Pint Glass. Has no freshness date on the bottle but not too worried about it.

Aroma- Has a ton of malt and clean aroma. Nice and appropriate for the style! Shouldn't be much around anyways.

Appearance- Pours a 2 finger head that has great, long-lasting retention. Has a golden colored body with perfect clarity. Leaves tons of suds behind.

Flavor- A very easy going, soft malt taste upfront. Has a nice banana character found in mid-drink and finishes with a light bitterness level.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, Crisp, and easy going to the finish. No characters out of the ordinary.

Overall Impression- I would definitely come back to this brew! Very refreshing and had a nice banana character mid-drink that I found. Would enjoy this before most BMC products and awesome we can get something from South Korea! Thanks for carrying this Friar Tuck!

2.23/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a pilsner.

It's pale yellow, white head and a lot of bubbles.

It's got a faintly sweet and adjuncty odor.

It's taste like adjunct grain, there's a hint of floral or fruit flavor. Not much for hops.

It's thin bodied and brisk.

Had a sushi restaurant because they were out of Hitichino. Too bad for me.

2.78/5  rDev +12.1%

Tall 22 oz. bottle served at Chizakaya (RIP) with a highball glass alongside.
Review from written notes. Blue bottle opener activated, it's cold!

Pale transparent gold, rising trails of carb visible. Thin layer of white foam, fairly compact with tight bubbles.

Grainy pils malt aroma and taste, a little bit papery in the aftertaste. Feel is dry and crisp though also a bit bland. Flavor is rather subtle and it's well carbed. Fairly clean and utilitarian.

Overall an average industrial lager with few flaws, but not much defining character either. It was pretty drinkable as I was thirsty, and it paired well with some izakaya-style snack foods like salty pigs ear pork rinds, beef tongue skewers, and hamachi kama.

I've seen this beer in an odd larger format 1.6L plastic bottle also, called the "pitcher" size. The empty bottle may or may not have been thrown at a Wyomingan.

2.41/5  rDev -2.8%

11.3 ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Super clear yellow in color with about 1-2 fingers of white head that disappeared before it was done but stuck around for a little.

Smell: There is a slight smell of sweetness (sweet corn) but not much else.

Taste: It starts out tasting like an American macro brew but the taste goes away really fast and then tastes very watered down.

2.33/5  rDev -6%

330ml bottle poured into a ordinary glass at a good Korean restaurant in Geneva.

A: Pours a pale yellow lager color with a medium bubbled white fluffy lager head. Small retention and only few lacings left

S: Simple beer. Mainly adjunct malts and flowery hops

T: Follows the nose. Nothing special, crispy malt followed by a mild hops bitterness

M: Very light body, low carbonation and mild bitter aftertaste

O: A large production rice based lager. Nothing special here...

2.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a wan straw yellow - not inspiring - with a white head that doesn't stick around for long. OK, maybe it gets better. Aroma is typical of a pale lager, malty with a fruity hint. Flavor is typical, crisp and malty and just a little fruity - nothing special, but OK. Texture has average body and a fair amount of fizziness. Mediocre, but give it a fair shake.

2.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I spent about 14 months in Korea and drank a river of Hite. It is an unremarkable macro lager, and can vary from somewhat pleasant to nauseatingly bad depending on the setting.

Hite is best enjoyed ice cold from a bottle, and preferably as an accompaniment to Korean bbq (spicy cuisine also works).

Avoid the huge plastic "pitchers" of Hite if you see them. It doesn't taste nearly as good from the plastic, and can be absolutely gross if you encounter a particularly bad jug.

I probably should have given Hite lower marks, as it really is not a good beer, but I associate many fond memories with this brew so that is undoubtedly influencing my opinion.

2.07/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours an unappealing yellow a shade darker than most adjunct lagers with a really pitiful white head that dissipates entirely in around 20 seconds. For a beer that depends so heavily on marketing, this was nothing short of pathetic.

S: Much more appealing on this front. Although the smell isn't particularly strong, floral hops come through up front while malt notes take the back seat.

T: Unfortunately, the hops from the nose don't carry over into the flavor whatsoever. This beer is seriously lacking in terms of bitterness, and I would describe it more as sweet than anything else. I would say it's analogous to drinking "beer soda" -- just like cream soda, but replacing the cream flavor with "beer" flavor.

M: Unpleasantly high levels of carbonation make this one much too dry for my taste.

D: No matter what the occasion, I would choose almost any other beer in the world over this one.

3.41/5  rDev +37.5%

I've had Korean beer before (O.B.), but had never heard of "Hite." It was cheap, and I thought, "why not." Results follow.

Poured from a can into a glass, and also consumed right from the can.

-Appearance 3.5: Very attractive, deep golden color. Not at all what I was expecting. Big head, about an inch. Head completely dissipated very quickly. Small carbonation bubbles present all over the beer.

-Smell 2.5: Very little bouquet, but still has a pleasant "beer bouquet." I smell lots of grains, but that's it.

-Taste 4.0: Pretty darn good. Nice, deep, lager taste. Nothing like what I expected. I can taste the grains, but not as much of an "adjunct accent" in the taste as I expected. Great balance of sweet and dry. Clean aftertaste with a nice hint of malt. I'm sure this would be a fantastic beer with food.

-Mouthfeel 3.0: Just average. Not bad, not good, the right amount of carbonation for this style of beer. This is a "the brewer needs to get this basic thing right" category and these brewers did get it right.

-Overall 3.5: This would be a fabulous session beer. Tastes great, nothing artificial, no weird aftertaste, just good lager beer. I would recommend this beer with food, with football, whatever. Nice.

I purchased this at Lotte/ Assi Plaza in Atlanta; $4.99 for a six pack. 4.5% ABV.

2.45/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear light yellow with a 1 inch bubbly white head that fades to a few bubbles on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smell is of grains, rice, and cooked veggies. There is also a sulfur smell that comes out as the beer warms. Taste is of grains, bubble gum, and vegetable broth. For such a bubbly head the carbonation level is on the low side with a somewhat flat mouthfeel. This is a pretty bad beer. Their motto is "cool & fresh" which I would have to disagree with on both claims.

2.1/5  rDev -15.3%

I was an English teacher in South Korea for a year, so I drank A LOT of this stuff. Beer selection as it goes in SK is nil with MASSIVE taxes on imports (you could pay $4 for a single Heineken in a store!) and this is their Bud. Cheers.

It's a very fizzy rice beer with big head at the start that tails off as it is customary to pour at the center of the bottom of the glass until it's full. Very pale, almost a silver-yellow color.

No significant aroma to speak of (aside from CO2 quickly escaping).

The taste is...and I struggled for a long time to put my finger on it...artificial. Artificial in a plastic sense. Like any mass-produced, this one can be settled into though.

Tempted to class Hite as sparkling alcoholic yellowish water, though I can say I never got a hangover from it. Points awarded on that basis. If you ever find yourself in SK, feel no qualms about drinking 20, so long as you had a friend phonetically spell out what to tell a taxi driver to get where you're staying and you're confident you can do it in deep.

Hite from Hite Brewery Company LTD