Barrel Aged Total Eclipse | Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by leprechaunandfatman on 02-18-2014

4.1

3.82/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent stout! Smooth, creamy, medium mouth feel, vanilla, coffee, bourbon, some mocha. All around a fantastic pour. From draft. Worth the coin...

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

This beer pours black in color and is topped with a film of tan head that leaves no lacing.

The initial smell is roasted malt and alcohol. I don't really get any bourbon notes, and a lot of the aromas that I love in the base beer seem muted or missing.

The coffee seems to have transformed into more of a roasted malt flavor with a little coffee bitterness in the finish. I really have to search for the bourbon. I get hints of caramel from time to time. One again a lot of the element of Total Eclipse seem lost in the aging process.

Full, smooth mouthfeel

I have to say that I am a little disappointed. I absolutely love Total Eclipse. It is right there with Founders Breakfast Stout. I was hoping this would transcend to a KBS-like beer, but it is far from it. The coffee and chocolate flavors that I love so much in Total Eclipse are missing in this version. All that being said, this is not a terrible beer. I like it, but it disappoints given the quality of the base beer. It is still better than a lot of beer out there. I just built this beer up too much in my head. Maybe I sat on it too long, and it is my fault. I will try it again fresh if the opportunity arises.

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.18/5  rDev -71.2%

From the 2015 bottles that were released.

Unfortunately....mine was infected. From the first smell I knew something was off and by the time I tasted it with some tartness and almost no other flavors I knew this was a mess. D: Maybe I'll get to try a good bottle or draft one day!

A very very good brew

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%

4.06/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Pours a motor oil black with a thin tan head. Light sticky lacing.

S - Aroma is coffee, vanilla and light bourbon.

T - The flavor is strong black coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla and bourbon.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel with dry and sticky finish.

O - This is a really nice Barrel Aged Stout. Definetly worth picking up if you come across it.

3.59/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I think maybe I sat on it too long, but I also read that a few bottles had been "infected"

The look and smell were great! - Poured a nice dark brown color with a tan head and smelled of bourbon, roasted nuts and coffee
The taste and feel weren't so great - Coffee flavor faded fast and the bourbon was subtle. The aftertaste had a metallic taste to it. BUT there were some nice chocolate notes.
A very thin body

I want to give this one another shot whenever I get another one. This beer has potential, but I could of let it sit too long or maybe I just got an "off" bottle.

4.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.43/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 edition, 12oz glass poured into a snifter
A: Pitch black with a thin head that quickly settles
S: Cocoa, coffee, dark malts, a bit of funk & vanilla
T: Quite tasty, matches the nose with an emphasis on the cocoa, coffee and vanilla
M: Full-bodied, somewhat sweet and a light bitterness
O: Well-made, tasty. Doesn't overtly show bourbon but the barrel-aged qualities are evident. A solid stout on its own, enhanced by the barrel

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Let it warm up a little and all the flavors opened up. Nice vanilla notes

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

While Total Eclipse is the base for this barrel-aged brew, many of the features that I enjoy about the standard Total Eclipse (i.e., the lactose-sweetness and coffee flavors that make it an excellent breakfast stout) were absent from the palate of this beer. What one is left with instead is a extremely high-quality barrel-aged stout (without overt qualities of breakfast stoutness) that, when fresh, is on-par with an aged Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. There is no residual hotness from the bourbon, leaving only a creamy texture and almost-buttery flavor.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle, 2015 edition. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head that fizzled away quickly. However, there is a good amount of lacing. I like the aroma, the brew smells like bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some oaky woodiness noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's slick and smooth with moderate carbonation. I liked the regular Total Eclipse, and I think the barrel aged version is good too. Definitely worth picking up if you come across some, I know I wouldn't mind picking up another bottle or 2!

Barrel Aged Total Eclipse from Maumee Bay Brewing Company