Buckeye Beer | Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Added by AtLagerHeads on 10-01-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 84
3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

Perhaps my review shouldn't count. I spent my childhood 15 miles from the brewery in Bowling Green, Ohio, and am a proud graduate of THE Ohio State University. So I will summon every objective fiber in my body to make an honest review here.

This is an old school lager that knows it's an old school lager, and is damn proud of it. Love the retro label, and brew pours a clear golden yellow, with a soft foamy head on top. It's solid lager in aroma and flavor department. The malt is biscuit-like, the hops is grassy. Right level of carbonation and no of flavors. Just a solid, old school lager, and there's nothing wrong with that.

3.11/5  rDev -1.6%

Glowing, crystal clear golden yellow brew with a smallish head. Admittedly, my estimate of the appearance may be a bit off because I tasted this via their sampler; so it's hard to say for sure what the head looks like on this beer.

A bit grassy and plain. Nose is dull and almost non-existant. Similarly, it's got a bland flavor about it. Nonetheless, it's a quality brew as evidenced by its richer, heartier mouthfeel. Certainly not the best pilsner I've ever had, but it gets the job done. And from what I learned today, Buckeye Beer has a remarkable history behind it. Nice little brew.

3.09/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

on tap at Maumee Bay brewpub in Toledo.
This light golden pilsner looks as it should and has no major flaws. However, I found it a bit under-hopped and a tad sweet. This had more effect on the aroma, which reflected way more malt than hops. The particular mix(?) of hops (Noble?) seems appropriate.

Medium-light body with medium carbonation.

3.04/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to beervirgin72 for the bottle!
Very light yellow pour with a smallish white head. Smell is cor and grainy like maltiness. Kind of reminds me of the honey smacks cereal with the frog mascot. Taste is sweet maltiness, and is very honey like. Somewhat crisp mouthfeel. Very easy drinking, and this could be my guilty pleasure beer if I lived in Ohio.

Color: Light Yellow
Smell: like grain and light citrus
Taste: Very light clean taste..
Drinkability: Very smooth and light.

Overall: Buckeye is a very average light tasting beer, in no way offensive, but not great by any means. There are Better cheaper beers out there.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

This review is going to be identical to my bottle review; I saw no change at all in any aspect in getting it fresh, probably 1. because I'm in the town where it's brewed and 2. I've gotten bottles from the brewpub itself. It's light in all aspects, a little above the standard macro in craft. It seems made for the BMC drinker with a little more care and quality.

2.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a clear yellow with a small head that fell quickly. Lots of carbonation. Little to no head retention or lacing.

Grainy smell with some hop aroma. Maybe the slightest hint of honey.

Crisp grain/light malt flavor. Dry finish that is slightly sweet.

Light and refreshing. Goes down easily like most pils.

I grabbed this beer on a whim and I'm glad I tried it. I don't know that I would have more than one at a time, but it would also be good for a hot day.

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%

served on draft at the brewpub.

very pale yellow color in appearance. not much aroma or taste, clean. typical pale lager. thin, but at least not over carbonated.

2.72/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a nice-looking pilsner. A straw-yellow color with a nice thick white head that laces nicely.
Smell is not good. A bit of strong wheat smell and almost a skunk hop smell too.
Taste is not much better than the smell. A biscuit taste with a bit of bad hop as well.
Mouthfeel is okay. An okay thickness, but nothing spectacular.
Drinkability is good. A balanced beer, but nothing going on that would make one want to drink a lot of these. Eh...

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a really light orangish yellow color with a small foam head the quickly dissipates to nothing. There is no lacing to speak of.

S: Very mild on the nose. There is some warm biscuit, caramel and some earthy hops.

T: Not overly complex but an ok pils. Starts off with a nice amount of buttered biscuit and caramel. I was waiting for some hops to come through but there were none.

M: Nicely carbonated, leaves a creamy taste on the palate.

O: I wish there was some hops character in this beer as there is a lot of potential. I thought there would be some hops to balance out the buttery biscuit.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Extremely light, clear, high carbonation, and little foam.. Looks like generic cheap beer....

S:Almost salty... hmm.. Not a good sign....

T: Slightly sweet, with a strong barley aftertaste.. Malty and biscuity.. dry indeed.. The taste is a pleasant surprise, considering the bad smell.

M: Light and crisp.. a little slick at the end. Leaves a huh kind of after taste and feel...

D: One and Done. I see no need in buying this again.. but it is something different and new.. worth it for the try.. but don't buy a six pack...

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like Toledo..

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sample at the brewpub: Clear straw color with an endless stream of bubbles and a wispy white head. Very little lacing is apparent. Light malt and grass aroma. Light-bodied and bland but has flashes of hoppiness here and there. The finish is round and lightly hopped with very little aftertaste. Would be an easy transitional beer from a Macro light but it’s really more of a lateral move than anything. Could try harder.

2.23/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance - pours a bright lemony yellow, a snowy cap of maybe a finger. Can't tell for sure, it's gone so quickly, leaving just a scant cover and collar.

Aroma - a fairly average grain, mildly sweet.

Taste - a husky, stale cereal grain flavor. Some apple tartness on the swallow resolving to a bitterness of some kind, or maybe a sourness. Can't tell; either way, it's not too good. It gets a little better as it goes, but stays primarily husky and cereal-like. The main problem here is no presence of anything Saaz-like. This tastes no more like any kind of pilsner than does MGD or Bud.

Mouthfeel - crisp and light to moderate body. Meh.

Drinkability - not that enjoyable but I suppose if I had to...no, no I probably still wouldn't.

2.21/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance is pale yellow with fine easy carbonation defnitely not your typical fizzy beer. Although the head doesn't last too long here, leaves behind thin speckled lacing. Aroma has some tart grainy offness to it with a touch of metallic character. Not a typical hop character for a Czech pils, some honey cracker sweetness in there as well. Flavor is pretty pathetic a lot of underwhelming characteristics with faint tart finish mild biscuit sweetness and some watery hop flavor, pretty much generic beer. Mouthfeel is light with ample carbonation not too dry compared to a true Czech pils. Drinkability is average at best, I bet this beer sells in the Buckeye state despite the fact that the beer isn't all that. I'll pass on my next Buckeye beer, it's just not worthy.

2.17/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz. bottle with a red and white label that has a retro drawing of a waiter serving beer. He must be moving fast because they put black streaks behind one of his legs. It's either that or he's tripping. I failed to see a date anywhere on the bottle or label. That's probably because they didn't put one on.

When poured into a Southern Tier pint glass, this retro Sparkling dry beer was a clear as crystal pale straw yellow. It was so pale that it was about a shade up from being a urine yellow. What did the head of foam look like? You have to be joking! The head of foam was nothing but a sad looking faint string of bubbles acting as the head of foam. Pathetic! What was there quickly disappeared into oblivion. It left nothing behind to say that it even was there. Overall, it's a sad appearance from any beer.

I wish I could go in depth about the aroma, but there's not much to write about. It was simply a grainy aroma filled with cheap malted grains. That's it folks! No hops or fruits, just cheap malted grains like corn and rice.

This beer featured a sparkling dry taste of more cheap malted grains. There was a faint hop presence toward the back, but nothing to write home about. I don't care if it's labeled as a Czech Pilsener here, it tasted just like a Macro Lager to me.

This was a light bodied beer with more than enough crispy carbonation and a tiny aftertaste of cheap malted grains and a gentle touch of bitter hops.

Do you know the saying "You get what you paid for?" Well, that's what I get for a $1.25 a bottle. If you want a cheap Macro Lager with a retro label that makes you feel like you stepped back in time, then grab a bottle of this.

1.74/5  rDev -44.9%

Really wanted to love this beer, as I'm from the Toledo area and wanted to show my Cleveland snob beer friends that N.W. Ohio could roll with the big boys...boy, was I mistaken. Purchased in a 12-pack of bottles from the Andersons (great place for beer, BTW). From the first bottle, I noticed the exact difference of a too-hoppy beer -- Buckeye is way too grainy for my taste. I drank it on six separate days with five separate meals, and each time it was lacking and actually gave me a headache most of the time -- that has never, ever happened before. Not a terrible beer on the level of Milwaukee's Best Ice or something, but I won't be buying it again. Bummer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last