IPA | Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Maumee Bay Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
oh-maumeebaybrewingco.com

Style: American IPA

Nicely balanced flavorful ale, made bitter with copious amounts of Centennial hops and a long fascinating history. A real treat for hopheads and the brewer’s favorite beer!

Added by AtLagerHeads on 10-02-2003

4.13/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This IPA pours a dark orange color and is topped with 5/8” of white head that quickly dissipates to an 1/8” of head that lingers nicely. Belgain lacing forms on the pint while drinking.
Smell: The hop aroma of this beer isn’t overpowering but it does have a nice strong aroma to it letting you know that this is a good IPA.
Taste: The taste of this beer goes nicely with the aroma good hop presence but nothing overpowering.
Mouthfeel: This is a good IPA from Maumee Bay it has good hop presence in every aspect but nothing over powering. There is room for more hop definition, I wasn’t able to break down the difference from citrus to pine hops but it is a good IPA none the less.

3.08/5  rDev -11.2%

on tap at Maumee Bay brewpub in Toledo.

This is a deep orangish-amber color. with a bone-colored head of moderate size and excellent duration. Overly bitter given the levels of hop-based aromatics and flavors. Hop component features earthy and piney notes.

Medium-light carbonation with a medium body.

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt amber, small white head that fades quickly but leaves decent lacing and retention; there is some sediment/floaties in the mix. The aromas are pretty subtle and full of caramel malts along with some pine needles. Flavors have hints of orange peel and pine resin. Lots of caramel and toffee in the mix. Pretty malty. This one does have subtle fruitiness to it, but barely. This one is bittersweet. The bitterness is far from overpowering and seems to be dominated by the malts. It's not that the flavors are horrible, they just don't pop and isn't what I believe most IPA lovers are looking for. The mouthfeel is the best part, in my opinion. It's extremely fluffy and creamy with active carbonation. The mouthfeel makes this one extremely smooth. The alcohol goes unnoticed.

This is one of those IPAs that tastes old even though it's relatively fresh. It's really nothing special. I'm sure there are people out there that appreciate this kind of attempt at the style, but it's not for me.

3.49/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is burnt orange with amber and golden highlights. An inch of beige head settles to a thin layer on top.

S - I smell some caramel malt, citrus, and a little bit of alcohol.

T - The first thing I notice is a lot of malt. Then the citrus hops come into play. I also notice some alcohol.

M - Medium

O - It almost tastes like an old IPA. I saw no bottling date, so I have no idea how old this bottle is. I was hoping this would be a good beer because I really like their other bottled selection. It is okay, but I would like to try it on tap to see if there is a freshness issue.

1.96/5  rDev -43.5%

Generally I'll try a beer before I see what beeradvocate has to say, and see how it compares. This time I was way off the mark. Bought a 22 oz bottle of this tonight to try something new, and I have to say, this is a really lousy IPA. the 82 average it has here is very generous. The beer has essentially one flavor note, which is a cloying and overly sweet flavor I've really never even experienced in an IPA before. To make matters worse, this flavors seems to attack the entire inside of your mouth due to the immense over-carbonation of the beer. With the relatively thin body and intense carbonation, this beer can actually burn the inside of your mouth slightly.

The appearance of the beer is a pretty average cloudy copper, and the smell is the same as the flavor. The beer pours with a giant head, mostly due to its over-carbonation.

This is definitely one to be avoided in my book. It is just not a quality IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

2.79/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Poured a nice golden orange…tons of bubbles throughout the beer with an inch thick mother-of-pearl colored head that lasted for several minutes…very inviting…(4/5)

Smell: Mildly aromatic…Malt base with floral and citrus hops…has a classic I.P.A. scent, therefore nothing distinct that separates it from the large field that is the super hop market…(3/5)

Taste: A fairly average I.P.A. flavor, pale malts seem to be the centerpiece flavor here that last throughout taste…floral, citrusy hops definitely counterbalancing initial malt flavor, though I’d say almost to a detriment…bitter to very bitter after a couple of sips and a few minutes…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Very basic…carbonation fluffs flavor throughout my mouth, but there really is too much there…washes down easily leaving mild hop blanket in the middle of my tongue…(2.75/5)

Overall: This is an alright I.P.A., the flavor is good, but not distinct in any fashion…malt character goes well with citrus and floral hops creating a very drinkable beer…Would I drink this one again, yeah, but I would also take a flier on something I hadn’t tried before first…(2.75/5)

IPA from Maumee Bay Brewing Company