Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager | Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager
3.66/5
Good
Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House
Montana, United States
greatnorthernbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

Added by Todd on 08-08-2003

Reviews by dwarbi:
4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

i dont care what the ratings say, this is better beer than its getting credit for being, i absolutely love it. thanks to my girlfriends parents for hooking this one up for me! super cool of them. the beer is fantastic, the best and truest use of huckleberry i have encountered in a beer. it is a little sweet, juicy though, ripe fruit generally is pretty sweet, so that makes sense. the brilliant and probably less appreciated elements are the wheat malt base, which gives this a lively fluffy texture, and the lager yeast, which does its best to dry it out with a congruent crackery balancing element. the fruit is awesome though, jammy and dark, healthy tasting, no hops at all, but they arent missed, at least for me. i like the crispness from the yeast even though it has some residual sugar, its different that way, and all the body is just awesome. i would crush six packs of this if it was available here. this is a little more old school in terms of fruit beer, but i think its perfect for what it is. amazing how refreshing this is when its ice cold, takes me some place i like to be. really excellent stuff, ignore the reviews, try it, you will love it.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle in Yellowstone NP: home of everything huckleberry.
Clear bluish amber body with a good off-white head. decent retention.
Aroma: Blueberries and faint hops.
Flavour: berries, baked wheat bread and light hops. Nearly as sweet as it is bitter.
Medium-light body with medium carbonation.

3.99/5  rDev +9%

I know that the huckleberry is quite similar to the blueberry, but I still find huckleberries a bit on the exotic side, especially since I'd only ever had them in beer before my recent trip to Montana. Now I have Huckleberry Vodka, Huckleberry Tea, and of course, this Huckleberry beer, one of a few that I procured stateside.

This beer pours a cloudy, pale straw colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which disappears in an instant, leaving some random specks of lace around the glass. The aroma is pretty much evident from a foot away - sweet and tangy huckleberries, and upon closer inspection, a wheaty maltiness. The taste is a balanced huckleberry fruitiness - sweet and acidic, with a nice, light wheat graininess sitting right behind. The carbonation is average, and unobtrusive, the body light and zingy, and it finishes dry and fruity.

A very nice, refreshing wheat beer, which just the right amount of the eponymous fruit character. Perfect for a hot summer day's quaffing.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

Had to drink this one out of the bottle due to lack of a glass on a camping trip. Sweet, fruity aroma. More of the same on the palate - sweet, almost like a cherry soda. A bit too candy-ish for my taste. If you like sweet stuff, though, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Really not a bad beer at all for the style. I am pretty cautious of fruit/berry beers but I am in Montana for a week and really wanted to get a good feel for a lot of the local beers here. And Huckleberries seem to be huge in these parts, so I figured, "Why not?"

First off, I really missed the part about this being a "wheat lager." Pay attention to that as I think it is an important factor in why this beer actually works. I have had huckleberry ales and it just doesnt work. But the the smooth, crispy flavor of the wheat combined with the huckleberry really works. It looks like a lager but a lot more cloudy. The aroma is basically just fresh, handpicked huckleberries. Has a smooth, refreshing mouthfeel. All in all, relative to what this beer is trying to do, and in comparison to others that have attempted the same thing, I say this is a very worthy beer! I will do my best to find it somewhere back home.

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +6%

A - clear straw golden, solid white head retained very nicely with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - strong aromas of grainy wheat, some adjunct like notes, leafy hops, and pleasant berries
T - robust sweet and slightly tart berry flavour, bready wheat backbone with some leafy hop notes, a very refreshing taste
M - effervescent carbonation with a light body, light tartness to finish
O - a very tasty beer with a nice balance of malt-hops-fruit, this would make a great summer sessioner

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Backlog. 12 oz bottle. Berries and wheat aroma. Cloudy, pale yellow in appearance. Medium head which disspiates, leaving a thin collar of foam. Berries and wheat flavor. Not bad.

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer is exactly as advertised: a wheat lager with a hint of huckleberry essence added. The huckleberry is not overpowering or sweet, but its there in the background. Otherwise, pretty standard American lager........ watery body

64/100

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%

I do feel somewhat unqualified to review this beer. I normally do not like fruit beers, nor do I think I have ever experienced the flavor of huckleberry (or so I think). That being said, I found this beer not pleasant for me. Had this been a style that I like, my review may have been lower. It poured with almost no head at all, and looked like cider. Huge aroma- sweet and sugary yet also flowery. It says this beer has honey in it and you can taste it. It really tasted more like a mead- except it is not. For people who do not like beer, this may be acceptable. I could not finish it.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.14/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House