Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager | Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

good
Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House
Montana, United States
greatnorthernbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

Added by Todd on 08-08-2003

Reviews by dwarbi:
4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle in Yellowstone NP: home of everything huckleberry.
Clear bluish amber body with a good off-white head. decent retention.
Aroma: Blueberries and faint hops.
Flavour: berries, baked wheat bread and light hops. Nearly as sweet as it is bitter.
Medium-light body with medium carbonation.

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

I know that the huckleberry is quite similar to the blueberry, but I still find huckleberries a bit on the exotic side, especially since I'd only ever had them in beer before my recent trip to Montana. Now I have Huckleberry Vodka, Huckleberry Tea, and of course, this Huckleberry beer, one of a few that I procured stateside.

This beer pours a cloudy, pale straw colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which disappears in an instant, leaving some random specks of lace around the glass. The aroma is pretty much evident from a foot away - sweet and tangy huckleberries, and upon closer inspection, a wheaty maltiness. The taste is a balanced huckleberry fruitiness - sweet and acidic, with a nice, light wheat graininess sitting right behind. The carbonation is average, and unobtrusive, the body light and zingy, and it finishes dry and fruity.

A very nice, refreshing wheat beer, which just the right amount of the eponymous fruit character. Perfect for a hot summer day's quaffing.

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%

Had to drink this one out of the bottle due to lack of a glass on a camping trip. Sweet, fruity aroma. More of the same on the palate - sweet, almost like a cherry soda. A bit too candy-ish for my taste. If you like sweet stuff, though, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Really not a bad beer at all for the style. I am pretty cautious of fruit/berry beers but I am in Montana for a week and really wanted to get a good feel for a lot of the local beers here. And Huckleberries seem to be huge in these parts, so I figured, "Why not?"

First off, I really missed the part about this being a "wheat lager." Pay attention to that as I think it is an important factor in why this beer actually works. I have had huckleberry ales and it just doesnt work. But the the smooth, crispy flavor of the wheat combined with the huckleberry really works. It looks like a lager but a lot more cloudy. The aroma is basically just fresh, handpicked huckleberries. Has a smooth, refreshing mouthfeel. All in all, relative to what this beer is trying to do, and in comparison to others that have attempted the same thing, I say this is a very worthy beer! I will do my best to find it somewhere back home.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

A - clear straw golden, solid white head retained very nicely with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - strong aromas of grainy wheat, some adjunct like notes, leafy hops, and pleasant berries
T - robust sweet and slightly tart berry flavour, bready wheat backbone with some leafy hop notes, a very refreshing taste
M - effervescent carbonation with a light body, light tartness to finish
O - a very tasty beer with a nice balance of malt-hops-fruit, this would make a great summer sessioner

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Backlog. 12 oz bottle. Berries and wheat aroma. Cloudy, pale yellow in appearance. Medium head which disspiates, leaving a thin collar of foam. Berries and wheat flavor. Not bad.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%

I do feel somewhat unqualified to review this beer. I normally do not like fruit beers, nor do I think I have ever experienced the flavor of huckleberry (or so I think). That being said, I found this beer not pleasant for me. Had this been a style that I like, my review may have been lower. It poured with almost no head at all, and looked like cider. Huge aroma- sweet and sugary yet also flowery. It says this beer has honey in it and you can taste it. It really tasted more like a mead- except it is not. For people who do not like beer, this may be acceptable. I could not finish it.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.14/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

Reviewed at Rising Sun CG, Glacier National Park, MT. Full notes taken on my phone while out of service area.

A- Pours from the 12oz bottle to a goblet with a slightly hazy pale yellow body that has the tiniest hue towards huckleberry. A white crown rests atop the beer at one finger and is foamt thick in texture. Thick ring leaves sheets and spots of lace.

S- Fairly straightforward but brings good strength. Huckleberries reside atop a bready lager yeast reminding me of something sweet I would have at breakfast.

T- Huckleberry is once again the main player as it was in the aroma but the base beer is strong and balances it out. Semi sweet berries slathered on crusty wheat toast with some bready tones from the yeast. Kind of reminds me of a pancake.

MF- The body overall is medium thickness with a foamy and silky texture. Carbonation at a high level causes the beer to puff up like a pillow.

Reminds me of the blueberry beers that are done correctly. Authentic berry flavor with a foamy body and slight sweetness. The underlying yeast makes it all come together like a breakfast bread. Drinks very well in Glacier National Park, Montana.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Brown 12oz bottle, no alc listed, brought back from Montana Trip. Also got to sample on tap at the brewery tasting room. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, one inch of white bubbly foam that left some thin lacing. Smells of fruity berries and lots of yeasty aroma from this unfiltered beer. Tastes like a yeasty wheat beer with just enough tang from the berries to give a fruity flavor. Kind of a thin mouthfeel (on purpose I assume) makes it light tasting, refreshing and easy to drink summer beer. Unique beer featuring wild Montana huckleberries.

Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House