Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager | Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

good
Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House
Montana, United States
greatnorthernbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

Added by Todd on 08-08-2003

4.57/5  rDev +28%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Had this awesome wheat lager off the tap at Whitefish ski resort after a long day.
The beer filled that glass nice with a golden color.
I took a nice sniff and was a solid lager with hints of fruity sweetness.
A gulp revealed a cold, clean crisp front end with a tart and slight hop to it. I could taste the huckleberry but it was not overpowering like other fruit beers I’ve had. This wheat lager was satisfying and not overwhelmingly fruity. I can easily drink a few pints of this.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Excellent overall! Berry-forward without being sweet, leading to a crisp, wheat finish.

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

4.16/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

i dont care what the ratings say, this is better beer than its getting credit for being, i absolutely love it. thanks to my girlfriends parents for hooking this one up for me! super cool of them. the beer is fantastic, the best and truest use of huckleberry i have encountered in a beer. it is a little sweet, juicy though, ripe fruit generally is pretty sweet, so that makes sense. the brilliant and probably less appreciated elements are the wheat malt base, which gives this a lively fluffy texture, and the lager yeast, which does its best to dry it out with a congruent crackery balancing element. the fruit is awesome though, jammy and dark, healthy tasting, no hops at all, but they arent missed, at least for me. i like the crispness from the yeast even though it has some residual sugar, its different that way, and all the body is just awesome. i would crush six packs of this if it was available here. this is a little more old school in terms of fruit beer, but i think its perfect for what it is. amazing how refreshing this is when its ice cold, takes me some place i like to be. really excellent stuff, ignore the reviews, try it, you will love it.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

No visible date.

4.07/5  rDev +14%

I received a sixer of this beer as a gift from a blog-buddy in Montana.

Very nice. I was a little apprehensive at first, as I don't particularly like fruity beers. But my apprehension disappeared once I tasted this beer. The aroma of huckleberries is strong and sweet, belying the actual taste... which is smooth, slightly hoppy, and NOT as overly sweet as the aroma might indicate. Mouthfeel is pleasant, with a slight aftertaste. Very, very drinkable... I could do a lot of this beer if I lived in Montana!

4.01/5  rDev +12.3%

Reviewed at Rising Sun CG, Glacier National Park, MT. Full notes taken on my phone while out of service area.

A- Pours from the 12oz bottle to a goblet with a slightly hazy pale yellow body that has the tiniest hue towards huckleberry. A white crown rests atop the beer at one finger and is foamt thick in texture. Thick ring leaves sheets and spots of lace.

S- Fairly straightforward but brings good strength. Huckleberries reside atop a bready lager yeast reminding me of something sweet I would have at breakfast.

T- Huckleberry is once again the main player as it was in the aroma but the base beer is strong and balances it out. Semi sweet berries slathered on crusty wheat toast with some bready tones from the yeast. Kind of reminds me of a pancake.

MF- The body overall is medium thickness with a foamy and silky texture. Carbonation at a high level causes the beer to puff up like a pillow.

Reminds me of the blueberry beers that are done correctly. Authentic berry flavor with a foamy body and slight sweetness. The underlying yeast makes it all come together like a breakfast bread. Drinks very well in Glacier National Park, Montana.

Consumed from pint glass. Huckleberry scent is very prominent. Hazy honey coloration, head is foamy, thick but short lasting.

Not as sweet as expected, the wheat works well with the huckleberry juices. Taste is wheat and yeast forward as the huckleberry makes a more gradual and subtle appearance. Flavors do not linger long on the tongue.

Fairly thin with semi-high carbonation, makes it very easy to drink, especially on a day with hotter temperatures. I liked this beer overall. As a Northwest native, it brings forth good memories of huckleberry picking during a camping venture.

3.99/5  rDev +11.8%

I know that the huckleberry is quite similar to the blueberry, but I still find huckleberries a bit on the exotic side, especially since I'd only ever had them in beer before my recent trip to Montana. Now I have Huckleberry Vodka, Huckleberry Tea, and of course, this Huckleberry beer, one of a few that I procured stateside.

This beer pours a cloudy, pale straw colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which disappears in an instant, leaving some random specks of lace around the glass. The aroma is pretty much evident from a foot away - sweet and tangy huckleberries, and upon closer inspection, a wheaty maltiness. The taste is a balanced huckleberry fruitiness - sweet and acidic, with a nice, light wheat graininess sitting right behind. The carbonation is average, and unobtrusive, the body light and zingy, and it finishes dry and fruity.

A very nice, refreshing wheat beer, which just the right amount of the eponymous fruit character. Perfect for a hot summer day's quaffing.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm very skeptical about beers like this, but here goes...I'm seriously running out of beers in my town to review- I've almost tried them all! Good thing we have some new micro breweries opening up...

A moderate pour produces about a 3/4 inch head that proves fairly sticky. The beer is a hazy pale ruddy golden with high carbonation.

Really just a hint of berry on the nose, with no adjuncty aromas. The flavor is subtle, and it actually tastes like real huckleberries, but is not overly sweet. A touch of yeast adds some spice, but the flavor, finish, and aftertaste are quite clean. In particular, it avoids that God-awful fake saccarine taste that I've experienced in other fruity wheat beers (Leinies Sunset- yuck). It has the creamy, frothy mouth feel typical of a wheat beer.

This is undoubtedly the best berry beer I've ever tasted, with the possible exception of one of those Belgian types (whatchmacallthose?), but they tend to be over-sweet and barely have any alcohol. Hmm....

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance- huge 2 1/2 finger white head, golden and slightly hazy

Smell- a little sour and sweet from the hucks, the tart has a bit of yeast behind it

Taste- light breadiness up front almost immediately yields to the sweet berry middle, paler malts round it out with a slight hop touch. The yeast comes back for the finish

Mouthfeel- light body with a smooth feel

Overall- even with an adjunct as strong as hucks it keeps the style rather well. Definitely something nice and summery to sip on.

Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House