Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager
Notes: A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 93
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a yellow/orange color that was murky with a nice white head that dissipated rather quickly. The aroma and flavor are both dominated by the fruitiness of the huckleberry juice. Very smooth and thirst quenching. Nothing spectacular, nor offensive.

4.57/5  rDev +23.2%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Brown 12oz bottle, no alc listed, brought back from Montana Trip. Also got to sample on tap at the brewery tasting room. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, one inch of white bubbly foam that left some thin lacing. Smells of fruity berries and lots of yeasty aroma from this unfiltered beer. Tastes like a yeasty wheat beer with just enough tang from the berries to give a fruity flavor. Kind of a thin mouthfeel (on purpose I assume) makes it light tasting, refreshing and easy to drink summer beer. Unique beer featuring wild Montana huckleberries.

2.46/5  rDev -33.7%

I do feel somewhat unqualified to review this beer. I normally do not like fruit beers, nor do I think I have ever experienced the flavor of huckleberry (or so I think). That being said, I found this beer not pleasant for me. Had this been a style that I like, my review may have been lower. It poured with almost no head at all, and looked like cider. Huge aroma- sweet and sugary yet also flowery. It says this beer has honey in it and you can taste it. It really tasted more like a mead- except it is not. For people who do not like beer, this may be acceptable. I could not finish it.

3.34/5  rDev -10%

Hazed light golden appearance. Thin, tight white head leaves sporadic lace. Nice berry nose mixed with wheat and NW hops. Another easy drinking brew from Great Northern. My second of the night. Nice prickly carbonation and a light-medium body give this a pretty nice drinkablility on a hot day. Some wheat tanginess mixes with the huckleberry tones without friction. Another Great Northern brew I'd drink if it was around and there weren't a lot of other options. Give me this over most macros any day though.

Thanks budgood1.

2.18/5  rDev -41.2%

Had to drink this one out of the bottle due to lack of a glass on a camping trip. Sweet, fruity aroma. More of the same on the palate - sweet, almost like a cherry soda. A bit too candy-ish for my taste. If you like sweet stuff, though, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

pours out a cloudy sun yellow colour with a tight white head. i don't think i know what a huckleberry tastes like but the nose is very full of the berries. taste is very good...there is enough of the berry flavour to make it unique, but it doesn't overwhelm the whole aspect of the beer. there is enough grain and a hint of spice in the overall flavour pofile to balance things out. now, if fruit wheats aren't what you fancy, this might not agree with you...but it's a fairly tasty and refreshing. the mouthfeel is crisp and clean like a lager should be, with an quick bitter hop snap in the finish. lingering tingle of fruit in the aftertaste.

overall, a uniquely flavoured thirst quencher after a hards day work or just for summertime quaffing. i'm pleasantly surprised.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%

Not bad at alll....I'm a little surprised at this....pours a cloudy yellow/gold...nose is a sweet huckelbery/vanilla mix...the vanilla notes must be from the yeast strain they use as it has been evident in all the beers of theirs I have tried.

The huckleberry flavor is really subtle and works nicely in this wheat beer....combines with that vanilla flavor nicely...a bit watery in the mouth...i wouldn't want more than a couple of these but a nice flavored wheat beer...better than average and worth a try...thanks again to Budgood1 for this new and unique brew...

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House
Beer rating: 83 out of 100 with 93 ratings