Belhaven Scottish Ale | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish AleBelhaven Scottish Ale

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: Scottish Ale

Our signature Scottish Ale is the beer we've brewed the longest and is our best-selling bottle world-wide. We brew it from 100% Scottish Optic and Crystal barley malts for a nutty, biscuit character, balanced with a subtle spiciness from Challenger and Goldings hops for an all-around satisfying beer.

George Howell - Master Brewer, Belhaven

Added by Mitchster on 08-07-2001

Ratings: 2,095 |  Reviews: 909

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with only a few bubbles rising to the dense, off-white, two-finger head. Head is a ring of bubbles half way down the glass and completely gone at 3/4ths. Leaves behind a few dabbles of lacing near the bottom of the glass

S - A rather mild aroma of caramel and peat.

T - Caramelized sugar upfront followed by a very balanced body. The sweet caramel malt notes offset by moderate herbal bitterness as well as some nutty tones in the background. Smooth ride of caramel with a hint of bitterness as the beer passes over the back of the tongue, which slowly becomes eclipsed by a nutty finish.

M - Medium bodied with substantial carbonation. Could possibly benefit from being a tad thicker and richer.

This is my first go with a Scottish Ale since I had Railbender a couple years back. This beer had some qualities that reminded me of a nice scotch and I found it to be a nice change up from my usual fare. At $10 a six at the World Market up in Albuquerque, I don't see Belhaven becoming a staple in my fridge, rather something I'll pick up now and again when the mood strikes for a nice session brew.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

This is the bottled version..bottled in crystal clear glass.
It's the color of walnut stain and has an abundant amount of foam after just an average toss into the glass.
The initial smell contained a whiff of skunk, but it quickly gassed off and left behind just the faintest trace of that skunk perfume.
I actually enjoy a tiny trace of it.
The flavor is dominated with a fairly powerful blend of hops and malt. Nothing special, no flavors that remind me of anything else.
This tastes like what it is, beer that is made from the 3 basic ingredients and nicely executed.
I would like to try this in the can just to see if the skunky element goes away, or if it was meant to taste this way by design.
Either way, I find this beer to be quite enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Belhaven Scottish Ale from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.