Belhaven Scottish Ale | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish AleBelhaven Scottish Ale
3.83/5
Very Good
Belhaven Scottish AleBelhaven Scottish Ale

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: Scottish Ale

Our signature Scottish Ale is the beer we've brewed the longest and is our best-selling bottle world-wide. We brew it from 100% Scottish Optic and Crystal barley malts for a nutty, biscuit character, balanced with a subtle spiciness from Challenger and Goldings hops for an all-around satisfying beer.

George Howell - Master Brewer, Belhaven

Added by Mitchster on 08-07-2001

Ratings: 2,118 |  Reviews: 916

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to try this out after having a long string of AAL's and wanting something different. When I looked at this beer on shelve I was suprised to see it in a clear bottle.

I enjoyed the carmel, and chocolate smell of this beer it reminded me of butterscotch. Its refereshing to have a beer like this every once in a while. I wouldn't drink a six pack of it though, too heavy with flavors.

The flavor to me is sweet with toffee and chocolate, similar to the smell I'm getting. It does have bitterness in it though, that is not to be ignored. This beer is full of flavors, I'm still trying to think of them all after finishing it. It reminds me of nuts, brown ale, toffee, dark chocolate, mild hop bitterness, caramel, and more. It's on the light end of medium bottied, which is interesting because usually a beer this flavorful is really full bodied. This increases its drinkability to a point in my opinion. Its easy for me to finish one of these, but too keep drinking them I think I'd get too overwhelmed with flavors. This was a fun beer, and I'd like to get another one sometime.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a nice rich, clear toffee copper color. A light cream colored head dissipates to a thin film. Thin lacing. Aromas of toffee and malts are present. Nice flavors abound with a buttery flavor up front. Toffee, caramel, and malts abound. The beer has a nice sweet finish. Delicious. Very drinkable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Overall, a great session beer. It tastes delicious and goes down very smooth. I was surprised at how good this was. A six pack could go down with ease.

2.26/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed December 15, 2011. Poured a nitro-can into a Pint glass.

A: I have no clue on where to say this head actually was, it did an amazing receding type move filling up the entire glass and them coming to. Where it actually stopped at was an a nice creamy thick white one fingered head . This carries an extremely clear amber appearance.

S: Those malts are pretty nice here. It also had a nice toffee aroma as well.

T: Toasty Malts are easily what come up first with some back of caramel.

M: The lasting head gives it an extremely creamy taste, but I know it's not true it's just that nitro-can's head. The thinness of the body is atrocious though.

O: I have no clue why this is rated so hghly when I've had Oktoberfest that have the same taste to it. The thinness is the true killer here because it feels like water and with it's taste this just isn't appealing.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Belhaven Scottish Ale from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.83 out of 5 with 2,118 ratings