Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

good
Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPABelhaven Twisted Thistle IPA

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: American IPA

Added by ADR on 09-24-2005

1.5/5  rDev -59.7%

1.75/5  rDev -53%

1.75/5  rDev -53%

I bought a bottle after reading some decent reviews. I poured this one into a tulip glass and it had a very nice orange-brown color. Little flecks in the beer reminded me of "floaties"; not a good start. The smell was weird and I could not quite place it. The taste was so bad, like the last reviewer said it was medicinal. It reminded me of an old shoe with the sole lit on fire and melted asphalt poured on top. One of only two beers I have ever poured down the drain. I stupidly purchased two bottles so now how do I get rid of the other?

1.81/5  rDev -51.3%

Poured from bottle into a standard beer glass.

Appearance: Clear amber in color. About four fingers of white head with heavy lacing on the glass. I was not impressed by the selections of this particular beer at the store, I got the only bottle that was "fresh" and did not have anything floating in it.

Smell: Alcohol and strong bitter hops that burned my nose when I smelled.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied, it had a strong bitter taste throughout the beer, rather unpleasant actually. Strong alcohol taste as well.

Overall: I am a huge fan of pale ales, this one, unfortunatly, did nothing but disappoint me. The other beers in the same batch, that were dated the same, in the case at the store had what looked like orange peels floating in them. This beers was the cleanest looking of them all that day, and I wanted to try an new IPA. The bottle cap was secure like it should have been and was not a twist off. So I'm not sure if this was a bad batch or what. I also noticed that the picture displayed here shows a brown bottle, the one I had was clear. Perhaps I will revisit this brew in the future.

1.89/5  rDev -49.2%

Presented in a clear bottle, should have known what to expect.

Smells of raw chicken, a terrible skunkiness, overpowers everything. does not taste very well eighter, could keep drinking it, but I don't really want to. Should not have been in a clear bottle.

2.01/5  rDev -46%

I went into this beer with high hopes and was quickly shot down upon first sip. While I am a big whisky fan as well as an IPA fan, the 2 simply do not mix. The peat was just overpowering and mixed with the hops, it just was plain awful in my book. This soon ended up down the drain. Managed about 2 sips and that was all. Color was nice with a great head but appearance is about all this beer has going for it.

2.01/5  rDev -46%

A- Pours a darker golden amber with the slightest bit of haze to it. A fairly small biege head and no lacing left behind.

S- A huge amount of herbal hops to it that dominanted the entire brew. An almost marijauna smell to it. I could pick up nothing else.

T- A very strong aspirin taste. Very herbal and grassy. Nothing else came through on this one.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

O- Dominanted by the herbs. A struggle to drink.

2.04/5  rDev -45.2%

Reviewed 7/22/2006 (Tap @ Kelvin at Arms, Houston, TX):

Cloudy color, orange color, small head, white, good lacing. Somewhat watery aroma, some hops, not overpowering aroma. Watery hoppy taste, bitter & unbalanced. Bitter aftertaste. Smoother as it warms up, but still not much flavor.

2.15/5  rDev -42.2%

LOOK - gold colored beer, sparkling, clean-filtered

SMELL - malty toasted with some fruit

TASTE - wet cardboardy possible oxidation?, not as much hop flavor as I was suspecting and bitterness.

FEEL - smooth and a bit foamy, light-medium bodied

OVERVIEW - I didn't care for it. It was just okay. Also in a clear bottle? I found it boring. I was expecting something more exciting!! like Lakefront IPA or Singlecut IPA

2.2/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have had this beer on tap at Duke of Perth in Chicago many times, and loved it -- it's a great mild IPA with a nice floral aroma.

Out of the bottle? This was massively disappointing. It was ridiculously sweet, smelling of some sort of scent extract and leaving that sticky sugary feeling you get from artificially sweetened juices.

My bottle was had in the US, and was clear glass, claiming to have been brewed in Dunbar.

I'm heading to Scotland in a few weeks, and i will make a point of looking this beer up to see whether it's been Duke of Perth or the bottle deceiving me as to this beer's true nature. I hope Duke of Perth had it right!

2.24/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

500ml
Pours an orange/yellow color with particles in suspension. Very light on the carbonation. Thin head of off white bubbles. Aroma is earthy with a touch of citrus and grass.

Taste… uh… taste is astringent and reminiscent of socks. Stinky, dirty, sweaty, socks. Simply awful. I am so overwhelmed and distracted by this awful sock flavor that I can’t pick up much else. Can’t wait to get the taste out of my mouth.

500ml is way to much of this tragedy. Oh the humanity.

2.3/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drain pour. Poured from a clear bottle. Pale in color. What little flaovior this beer had, was off-putting. A lot skunky.

2.31/5  rDev -37.9%

Amber color with a white head leaving good lacing, some yeast chunks floating. Floral, little caramel background, medicinal. Cardboard and caramel with a weird hop twang and a sour aftertaste. Average carbonation and light bodied. I would probably try this again because I think I got a bad bottle, but this one was not very good.

2.35/5  rDev -36.8%

My bottle read 6.1% (European standard I guess.) Sampled on 9/4/07 from 500ml bottle into a tumbler (all I had available.) Slightly hazy yellow. Aroma speaks highly of a malt profile. Taste also left me wondering about the hops. Left me with a gummy palate (first ever to do that.) Tons of floaties! Undertones of blueberry/raspberry with slight bitterness. Not much to say about head or lacing. Drinkablilty is seriously dampened by the conditioning, way too much bloating effect for me. To me this is a niche brew; I will not try again.

2.4/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very little hop aroma. Fairly flat with minimal bitterness.

2.49/5  rDev -33.1%

On tap at Ye Old Ship in Fullerton.
Dark orange in color, served in a nonic pint glass. The hoppiness was just weird. It was a floral malty scent I've gotten out of IPA's sometimes that just isn't appetizing. Even if I weren't judging it against the much better West Coast American-style IPA's, it'd still be a poor beer in my opinion with weird flavors.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.