Belhaven Scottish Stout | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish StoutBelhaven Scottish Stout

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: English Stout

Added by John_M on 02-28-2009

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

I have been a big fan of Belhaven Scottish Ale for a long time, when I found this on the shelf I was quite excited. I wasn't disappointed. It poured very dark garnet/black. Good off-white head and nice malty aroma. From the first sip I was impressed. Nice mouthfeel, not too chewy but nice body. The flavor was chocolate, vanilla and slight roastiness. Truly, even though the bottle says Belhaven Scottish Stout, it is a Porter, a strong porter, but still a porter. They even say so on their website. It does not have the coffee overtones associated with stouts. This one of my favorites. Slainte!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours coffee colored (black in the glass), with a finger of medium brown head. Decent retention and some lacing.

S: Roasted, creamy malt and sweet milk chocolate.

T: Roasted malt and some dark chocolate. Cola and coffee on the finish. A little hop presence which adds brightness without the bitterness.

M: Medium body, medium-light carbonation.

O: Pretty good, although the flavors don't quite come together.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Yep. This is a sweet beer. Deal with it. Unlike many other reviewers, I don't expect every beer I drink to be hoppy or bitter. It's nice to have a Sweet malt beer sometimes and this doesn't disappoint there. For me it goes down easy and tastes better as it warms up. Great for in the winter sitting at a pub on a cold evening. Malty sweet dark tasty scotch import. I was lucky to get it on tap during beer week. I'll have one more please! 7.0 abv hits you aftershock.

A: Pours very dark brown to black in color with a finger tall tan head. The head reduces quickly but a quarter finger tall head is retained. There is significant lacing observed.

S: Aromas of roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, and hints of dark fruit.

T: The flavor is full of roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. There are hints of dark fruit and smoke present as well. I really like the lingering bitterness in the finish. There is a nice amount of complexity to the flavor. Overall this is sweeter than expected but very pleasant.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very creamy.

O: Not my favorite of the different styles of stout but this is avery nice example of the style and a very enjoyable beer. Hides the alcohol very well and I could easily sip of these all afternoon while watching some soccer.

2.52/5  rDev -35.7%

I picked up a bottle of Belhaven's Scottish Stout last week for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have never heard of this brewery or beer before but the price was right so I thought I would give it a shot, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 500ml bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and not that eye catching, and I don't see why they put this in a clear bottle, nothing to see here. It poured a pretty dark brown color that had some ruby tinted edges when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing. This English Stout looks good.

S- The first thing that I pick up is tons of really sweet lightly roasted malts that have that typical sweet and malty, almost sherry like aroma that I get in most darker English beers. There was also a slight metallic aroma that mixed in with a very sherry like raisin aroma. I am not to impressed with the aroma, where are the roasty aromas.

T- Thankfully the taste is a little different from the aroma. It starts off with some very sweet medium roasted malts that impart a light chocolate and roasty flavors along with some brown sugar sweetness and some raisin and sherry flavors. At the end I got a light amount of earthy hops followed by a very sweet and slightly bitter finish with a sweet and lightly roasty aftertaste. Not too impressed with the taste, too much sweetness and not enough roast.

M- Smooth, cloying, a little creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. Not a bad mouthfeel but it could be a little thicker and not as cloying.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a below average English Stout. It seems like most of the English beers I have tried lately all have this super sweet malt profile that seems to take over any features of the particular style and dominate the aroma and taste, that is pretty much what happened here. This beer didn't have good drinkability the sweetness is far too high for me to finish the whole bottle, glad I got my brother to help me out. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked like a proper English Stout. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, it was just way too sweet for the style and the sweetness seemed to drown out most of the other flavors and aromas. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty cheap but even at the bargain price of $1.39 a bottle it doesn't really warrant a repeat purchase, not recommended. This beer turned out to be a let down, I just don't get how sweet all these English styled beers I have tried are and almost all of them seem to have that, maybe I just don't like the style but I have had some that aren't so I know it can be done. Not a good first impression for this brewery, I don't think I will be revisiting them again anytime soon.

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

500ml bottle poured into an english pint.

Appearance is jet black with a one finger dark tan head.

Smells of dark chocolate and espresso. There is a metallic smell present along with a bit of skunk.

Taste is roasted malt and some dark chocolate. Some bitterness is present from the malt and there is some brown sugar present as well. Some earthy hops finish it out. Mouthfeel is a little too light and watery.

Overall I am not too impressed with this beer. The mouthfeel is off and it is a little too sweet.

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

This is a very dark beer. I couldn't even see threw the drops the dripped on the counter. Had to really get my noise in to it to get the smell of coffee and malt. The taste was a bit better got some chocolate, and roast flavors, good beer but not much to have it really stand out from other Stouts, really didn't get that "Scottish" style from this one. But as I said not bad.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this beer on Half Time’s website. I recommend checking it out. The pricing was pretty reasonable and I liked the selection. I took advantage of this selection to knock off another style from the 104 (only 16 left).

I poured the Scottish Stout into a pint glass, and this is a very dark, black beer. There was a thin tan head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Off the top I get chocolate, malt, coffee, and some roast. I get a little bitterness as well. I didn’t pick up any off the hops as listed on the label.

The flavor was complicated and balanced. There was a good presence of coffee, and behind it you get some of the chocolate. I liked the malt and roast. The hops don’t come in the taste as well.

The only downside was the bitterness present at the end of each drink. What starts with a very good look and smell; ends with a pretty strong dose of bitter. I know that this is typical to the style, but it hurts what is otherwise a very good beer.

Belhaven Scottish Stout from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.