Belhaven Premium Scottish Export | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Awaiting More Ratings

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by kmacphail on 03-22-2009

Reviews by CrazyDavros:
3.59/5  rDev -3.5%

Creamy covering of off-white head leaves some lacing. Murky copper/brown, loads of sediment floating around.
Toasty/earthy/toffee malt dominates aroma, some dark chocolate.
Taste is much the same, sweet toffee and toasted malts.
A bit watery.
Very easy drinking, and at 3.9% you really would get through quite a few of these without too much trouble.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

I had a few bottles of this in the Park Guest House in Stornoway, when I asked for a beer I was told it was Belhaven so I expected a pint of Best to come along.

However I was surprised when a dark mahogany red beer with a thin white head was placed in front of me. The head died quickly but I was still looking surprised at the colour.

The beer had only a faint nose, some malts and a bit of vanilla sweetness. Not unpleasant, just very faint.

The taste was very refreshing, initial hit of malts combined with caramel, toffee and a slight aftertaste of burnt fruitiness. This was quite similar to McEwan's Export, not quite as nice though. As with most commercial beers the body was a bit weaker than it should have been, but this was still a beer, not as weak as a lager.

I sampled several more of these throughout my meal and at the end asked to see the bottle, this was not one I had seen before but on asking the owner he said that this was there regular beer and he informed me it was not seasonal.

A nice change from the only 'beer' in a restaurant being Tennent's lager (urghh!!!!). A very nice beer, especially for those who enjoyed McEwan's Export.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Catch-up rating. The beer looks nice with a copper body with a thick creamy head. This has a nice amount of sweet malt and a different sort of fruit smell. The taste is very nice with a strong amount of malt, but it because sort of a chocolate flavor. There is also a good amount of burnt caramel.

Belhaven Premium Scottish Export from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.