Wee Heavy | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Wee HeavyWee Heavy
4.06/5
Exceptional
Wee HeavyWee Heavy

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Scotland, United Kingdom
belhaven.co.uk

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-24-1998

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,068 |  Reviews: 571

Nicely balanced malt and spicy finish. Nothwithstanding that this is a heavyweight sort of ale, it is not overwhelming.

L: This poured a deep copper brown with some red notes to it, a very inviting appearance.

S: Caramel, butterscotch, some toffee, vanilla, strong malts, and something like a caramel-apple pop.

T: Very similar to the smell, so, in a word--delicious. I could barely believe I was drinking a BEER, not some sort of dessert. The overwhelming flavors are of caramel and butterscotch, then some vanilla, an almost apple-like flavor in there somewhere, with some malts and a tiny sort of alchol presence way in the back, which helps remind you that this great brew is, in fact, a beer, not a milkshake of some sort.

M: Nice and robust, not too thick but not super-light or fizzy or anything like that.

O: This is an absolutely stellar brew. I have had several other scotch ales/wee heavies since, and none of them have reached this mark.

I get this on tap regularly at a local pub here in Chicago. It took me a long time to find a brewery that consistently puts out products that I love and Belhaven is that brewery. I recommend their brews to everyone I have conversation to about beer and they deserve the attention.

This could be my perfect beer.

I previously called Guinness home, but if it weren't for this brew's hard-to-find nature, we'd definitely have a new contender.

Yes, I know this isn't a stout...now. But it's everything I ever thought a stout should be, I just didn't know that what my buds were actually craving was a strong scotch ale. Dark, super malty, rich fuller-than-full body and a refreshing dry finish. Completed by a very reasonable ABV. It's the perfect formula!

Why, oh why can't every bar have this on tap?? I found it at the Map Room (Chicago), and if it was on a standard tap and not nitro, it sure fooled me. Perfect pour with a thick creamy head and excellent retention. Here's the sad part. I finally found my soul-brew, but when I popped in to say hello a week later--it was gone! Whether it was a temporary outage or tragedy of long-term distribution schemes, I don't know. But I will find it again!

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Wee Heavy from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 4.06 out of 5 with 1,068 ratings