Crema | Matilda Bay Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by ohitsbrad on 01-24-2007

Reviews by ohitsbrad:
3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this a couple of times on tap and once from a 750ml bottle. Described as one of Matilda Bay's "out-there beers". A golden ale brewed with coffee beans. Both barley and wheat malt are used. Difficult to classify since the herbed/spiced beer style is being removed from the site.

Pale yellow in colour. Coffee is obvious in both the aroma and flavour. Tastes toasty and nutty and some fruit flavours appear. Light bodied and creamy mouthfeel. Although a bit odd I quite like it.

3.22/5  rDev 0%

Matidla Bay tasting event at the Platform Bar. I never got to try this the first time 'round, so I'm happy to have had the chance. Apparently there's still a fair bit of it hanging around the brewery which they bust out for special occasions.

Also, what the fuck is an American Blonde Ale?

Poured into an entirely too small tasting glass. Nice finger or so of head, pale straw colour - not the kind of thing you'd expect to have coffee in it at all, at a glance.

Smell is pretty much all coffee. Like a decent cup of espresso gone cold. Little wheaty smell, but just barely.

Tastes much like it smells - coffee, almost entirely. Somewhat nutty light roast coffee. General lagery aftertaste. Some sweetness, no bitterness or hop presence whatsoever. Light/halfway to medium body.

Not much carbonation, which is fair 'cause the bottle is pretty old. Hats off to the guys over there for being the first in Australia to do something like this, but if I'd have bought a bottle when it was first released for $20+ or so, I might have been a bit upset - it's nice, but if you had your eyes closed you might think it was some kind of Japanese coffee-flavored soft drink rather than beer. After an 100ml glass, I find myself wanting another, but after that I doubt I'd be interested in more.

Crema from Matilda Bay Brewing Co.