Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Added by JMBSH on 01-05-2014

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

Served alongside B.O.R.I.S. & Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S.

All three variants had remarkably similar appearances: deep, dark black with a thin beige cap, and fairly low carbonation.

The aroma brings a more potent whiskey scent than the Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S., with a similar roasted malt profile.

Terrific flavor. I am a huge fan of this beer, as well as the other two variants. In addition to the whiskey and barrel flavors, notes of oak, vanilla, and chocolate blend beautifully into the beer.

The feel is creamy and smooth, with subtle heat in the finish to tie it all together.

Great beer. Recommended.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.09/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Opened a bottle I have had for about a year in the cellar.

A-black with not a lot of lacing. No visible carbonation. But there is some hints of head.

S - Coffee and chocolate.

T - lots of coffee and chocolate. Don't really taste any whiskey aging but the coffee is really strong, but not overpowering. Tastes great!

M - Smooth. No noticeable bitter aftertaste. Each sip is like a new one.

O - Great beer. The whiskey aging is not really noticed though, after a stay in my beer cellar. The coffee and chocolate notes are the stand out effects. Even after a year plus time in the cellar, this beer has a good amount of alcoholic kick. I could have left it another year and it still would have been become even more complex.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Royale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery