1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher - Grand Reserve | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

None provided.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

I was so excited to receive this bomber through Tavour that I could not wait to … set it aside. 8=O Today was the day, what with my mulling so many beers! I was a =s f**ked up as a combined lab rat/mascara monkey/maze mouse by the time that it all ended. Gah.

From the Bottle: "

I had Pop!ped the cap well before anything else, so that event was well in my past. It had been warming for a while, so there was no discernible head on my pour. It was a dark, inky Black/Opaque (SRM = 44_, allowing ZERO light penetration. In fact, I saw Cthulhu lift a tentacle up to test the warm waters! Like me, warm (or hot) was NOT the norm & so he wanted to gauge the temperature. No head, but why would that be a surprise? Nose smelled like warm Geritol with heavy notes of prunes, raisins, figs, dates & other dried fruits. Cooling (!), it became like a liquified Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar Loads of milk (sweet) chocolate imbued with dried, dark fruits. Mmm. My headache was gone, as was most of my cerebellum. Man, this rendered me a beer zombie! I loved the way that warm beer warmed me totally up! Phew. This will get you where you are going & warmed … fast!

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From Boxbeers. In Teku glass. Playing Avernum 3. No foam. It has some nice roasty notes but I found it too bland in flavors and feel for its cost. It also had some notes between licorice and metal

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$ 16.00 (Including tax)/capped bomber ($ 0.727/oz) at Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA.
Undated bomber. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 54 degrees in a hand-washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Appearance – 3.75.
Body – Black, opaque. Light penetrates only the minute meniscus.
Head – None. Using a controlled center pour, a five mm fizzy head appears which lasts as long as the pour. It was very dark brown.
Lacing – None!
First pour – Very dark brown with a bit of a reddish cast, clear.
Aroma – 4.25 - Very subdued – hints of chocolate, char, and roasted malt.
Flavor – 4.5 - Begins with a subdued malt flavor and slight sweetness. Char is present as well as hints of chocolate and, I may be imaging it, a bit of coffee. Alcohol (9.4% ABV) is not noticed until the brew is allowed to warm in my mouth, then a slight amount of alcohol is present in the aftertaste. No gastric warming. No hops, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
Palate – 4.5 - Full, creamy, soft carbonation.
Impression and summation – 4.5 - No head, no lacing! What a disappointment in an otherwise superb brew! No date on the bottle or label! An excellent variant of B.O.R.I.S., better than the base beer. This is very tasty but less harsh than most RISs. The aroma and palate compliment the smooth and comforting taste. I had planned on splitting this bottle but hell, it’s all going down in this sitting!

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Half finger head on a clear brown body that was nearly opaque.

Aroma – Roasted malt, milk chocolate, light black coffee

Taste – Strong roasted malt and charred barley, a little coffee in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – Thick, smooth and creamy.

Overall – An excellent beer at a reasonable price for the craft that went into it.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into 20oz tulip glass. No bottling date on the bottle.

Look: Pours oil black, and has the look of motor oil as you pour it out. Formed a chestnut brown 1/2" head, which dissipated quickly. Lacing on glass is present, but not in abundance.

Smell: Roasted Malts, chocolate, molasses, oats, dark fruits like plumbs, figs, and dates. Slight booze on the nose. Chocolate and malt is prevalent on the nose, with the alcohol subtly present.

Taste: Follows the nose, chocolate and dark fruit forward, with complex roasty malts. Besides the chocolate, I pick up on coffee which I didn't notice in the smell. Has a good typical taste that I desire in oatmeal stouts. Alcohol is present on the taste, as well as it goes down, but by no means is overpowering or unbalanced.

Feel: Medium to thick in body, and flirting between the lines of medium and thick in body, leaning more towards medium. Still has a great feel and weight to it. Carbonation is low, and has a slight bitterness which is perfectly balanced.

Overall: This is one heck of an oatmeal stout, and perhaps my new favorite oatmeal stout. It is really interesting, in that it is chocolate forward, but not overly done as in a typical dessert stout. Kind of what I would think is a perfect winter stout with the exception of barrel aged stouts. Really enjoyable, and one I would both partake in again/ fully recommend. Superb job Hoppin' Frog! Cheers!

3.89/5  rDev -5.4%

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black with a slightly more airy mocha foam than regular, receding quickly to a sticky mocha ring.

Smell is really roasty, with dense, chocolate-covered walnut-banana cake, peanut butter wafer and molasses.

Taste is a smooth, medium thick chocolate wafer flavored body with vanilla, toasty roast, dark fruit and molasses that's almost spicy, finishing semi-dry.

While I anticipated this improving greatly over time, I'm having this about 1.5 years later out of a bottle, and feel like whatever malt they use in regular BORIS actually provides a superior treatment in the end.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher - Grand Reserve from Hoppin' Frog Brewery