Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
4.23/5

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

#889

Ratings: 2,750 |  Reviews: 1,039
4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice. well paired with a chocolate brownie topped with cherry ice cream.

A: pours thick and black with a thin caramel foam. foam dissipates quickly with just a bit of lacing.

S: just what I was expecting for a RIS- dark malts, bitter coffee and sweet chocolate battle for top billing. bitter coffee starts out strong, but the sweet milk chocolate takes over and lasts throughout.

T: again, as expected. roasted, bitter coffee and milk chocolate.

M: thick and rich. a bit dry at first, but just as with the aromas, the sweet chocolate takes over and this brew becomes smooth and creamy.

D: at 9.4% in a 22oz bottle, difficult to have too many of these, but B.O.R.I.S. is incredibly drinkable. a good representation of the RIS style.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

I drank this one at cellar tempature. A vigorous pour gets a beautiful rsult. Thick oil black body hosts a one inch milk chocolate colored head. Looks like I might need a spoon for this one. Nice chocolate cola nose is vibrant and hosts notes of minerals and alchol. At first sip you get wonderful up front dark cacao chocolate. Roasty burnt malt highlights a tingley mouthfeel. Alchol is slightly noticeable on the tongue and on the belly. Ends with a slightly soured bitter that is indective of good dark chocolate finish. Drinks well even as it warms. For those who like thier stouts on the more bitter side.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber bottle just purchased from New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
Heard a lot of good things about this R.I.S. so I was curious to give it a shot when I saw it available for the first time...
Appearance: A hefty pour yielded a thick, viscous, obsidian, jet-black, ebony hue with a minimal red, tannish head that quickly receded...
Smell: Immediately was greeted with a thick, overpowering whiff of pure, dark chocolate and mocha...
Taste: Robust, full-bodied, thick, alcoholic flavor with intense dark-chocolate flavors, rich espresso, mocha, and roasted malts...
Mouthfeel: Extremely full-bodied, viscous...
Drinkability took a hit due to the intense flavor and hefty 9.4% ABV...
Good stuff...
Recommended...

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into Vault 16 oz oversized snifter.

Black motor oil pour with a thin dark khaki head which dissipates quickly into a rim around the edge.

Roasty toasted malt, vanilla, cacao, caramel, alcohol, dark fruits, coffee

Malty and toasted, sweetness, vanilla, chocolate, bitter hops, coffee, figs, pretty much to the smell.

Feel is full, sticky and chewy, really great body for a stout. A tad high on the carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall, a solid enjoyable RIS, nothing special to the point of being on anyone's top 10 lists, but for $9 and available year round this is a very solid option. Definitely one of the blackest stouts I've seen in a while.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Just finished one a few moments ago.

A- Black, viscous fluid with a thin brown head. Very good-looking pour. Lacing throughout, albeit a bit thin.

S- Coffee, malt, toffee, roasted scent. Not very smokey.

T- Coffee, oatmeal, roasted taste. Middle of the beer thinned in flavor it seemed, ending the beer in a
molasses flavor. Very complex journey.

M- Not as thick as I normally like in a Russian Imperial Stout. Not a bad mouthfeel, just not substantial enough.

D- A good session beer. It did give me the burps a little, but it was geat otherwise.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

750mL (shared with Shelton/Howard)

A: Dark brown, near black. Modest, even tan head with soft bubbles. Sticky lacing down the glass.

S: chocolate malt, roasted coffee

T: starts with bready malt and semisweet chocolate, some slightly bitter/roasted coffee; floral hops and earthy tones round out the finish while holding onto the roasted character. I did not sense the oatmeal per se but that may have been the blend up front on this one

M: thick, full, chewy but drinks smooth. Finishes very clean/crisp for a big RIS. Settles heavy as it should. A meal in a bottle as they say

D: all around a very pleasant drinking experience. Leaves me feeling feel so this is one I would reserve for a night cap or as a dessert - not the brew to start of a night of activity.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally got around to reviewing this black beauty. Thanks Brendon fer the sample on a hot back porch summer night in Columbia. Inexplicably, a cute Peruvian also drank this with us.

A. Pitch opaque black, low dirty red head, thick and dense looking. I'm scared...

S. Subdued all the way around. Roast grains, chocolate, noticeable smoothness (via oat), some coffee and altogether too light smelling for a 9.4% Imp stout. A little nutty toasty scent is here, and way too little alcohol...

T. Mmm, slick. Big upfront roast grains with bittersweet coffee / chocolate (milk) and mellow, afterthought bittering hops to balance the large amounts of charred grain and sugar. Very blended, nothing jumps out really. Really quite smooth and seductive. Cocoa and coffee as per the smell. Rather tame and not adventuresome, but it all works together and is easy to drink... perhaps too easy...

M. Very thick and slick. Finishes roasty and bittersweet. Coating. Heavy.

D. 8 ounces was ok. But if the night wasn't 90 degrees, I could see myself drinking more.

B.O.R.I.S. is a well blended, easy to drink heavy Imperial stout that is too smooth for its own good. Recommended, but drink with caution -- the frog means business.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I found the Crusher to be almost identical to Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. with the exception on not getting the grapes taste this time. Below is my eval for Barrel Aged which works but for the above exception. BTW, Crusher was $8.99/bomber, Barrel Aged was $13.99/bomber; there's a difference!

It pours with the absence of all light with very little head, vigorous pour (who cares). The aroma was not overpowering, of choco-coffee. As for taste, I rate it a bit ahead of Speedway stout, chocolate, coffee (not overwelming), and don't ask me where this comes from, but I'm getting grapes too. Someone mentioned that it looks like motor oil... well it feels that way too. Overall, top-notch. I will buy, share and drink again.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to Goliath for the chance to try this beer:

A - Pours an opaque black with a nice two finger mocha head that disipated quickly into a ring leaving a heavy lace.

S - Dark Fruits, some coffee, dark chocolate, and some roasted grain. A little bit of alcohol in the nose.

T - Definatie oatmeal and molassas, with some dark chocolate and a mild coffee and dark fruit finish. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming.

M - Chewy with a decent carbonation and a present alcohol burn.

D - Good Brew. Lots of oatmeal that makes the beer a tad bland, but is true to the style. Would love more of this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

A-dark black with almost no head whatsoever
S-I think there is actually oatmeal in the smell
T-alot like it smells with a strong mocca finish.suprising amount of oatmeal...
M-medium body and a nice aftertaste. Cant quite nail it down though
D-very drinkable. Nice brew

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This one has been down in the cellar for a little over a year. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber bottle into my nonic Imperial pint glass. B.O.R.I.S. appears an opaque deep brown color with at least two fingers of creamy ecru colored foam. Flavors and aromas are dominated by notes of bittersweet and milk chocolates, dark roasted grain, plenty of sweet malt, mocha, earthy and the slightest wisp of smoke. Quite smooth, as most oatmeal stouts are, with a rich body. Alcohol is still present, but not overpowering. A very satisfying stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to dontcostnuthin for sending this one my way. Review from notes.

A: Pours an inky/oily dark black. A one finger tan/mocha colored head forms on top, with decent retention and no lacing.

S: I immediately get the sweet oats. There is also some roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

T: Very roasty flavor with the oats coming through as well, but not as strong as the aroma indicated, and not as sweet either. Nice mixture of coffee, licorice, and a little bit of molasses.

M: Full bodied and on the thicker side, but very smooth. Has a bitter-sweet finish.

O: A solid RIS, but not my favorite. From what I have seen a bit pricey as well, even though I got this one in a BIF. If I found it for the right price I would certainly get it again though.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Black with modest medium-brown head. Nice looking stout.

Smell: Chocolate,roast malts, and some brown sugar. The chocolate is prominent here.

Taste: The chocolate is prominent with some roasted malt notes. There is also a well integrated hop element.

Mouth-feel: fairly full-bodied with modest carbonation. The oatmeal is playing a significant role resulting in a creamy and full bodied beer.

Overall: My first time trying this one and I'm pleased. I would have no problem picking this one up again.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Complex, well balanced RIS. Would have liked it to be creamier in feel.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

This one has been pushed towards the back of the fridge (where it's been for about half a year) so I thought I would bust it out and review for my one year anniversary of being on beer advocate. Into a pint glass it pours pitch black with a small dark tan head. The head fades to almost nothing but it slightly there. No lacing to be found. The smell right off is really chocolatey followed by some roasted malts. There is also a small hint of coffee buried underneath as well. For the taste it's mainly chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee followed by alcohol. There is another underlying taste I can't quiet put my finger on, maybe it's the oats. A nice thick creamy mouthfeel. A bit higher ABV on this one which usually isn't noticeable to me but on this one it is though it still isn't a problem at least it's nice on this cold night. And I could do another bomber afterward if I had one. Overall it's really good. My first beer from Hoppin Frog and one of my favorite styles. I'll probably pick another bomber of this up sometime soon.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark black with very little head. Smell is a complex blend - chocolate covered cherrys (chocolate, cherry and cream), coffee, prune, raisin, vanilla, anise, smoke. Taste follows smell with a robust chocolate and fruity flavor (above mentioned cherry, prune, raisin). Background has vanilla, anise, herbal notes, hints of earth and wood. Nice resiny piney hop flavor in the back end. Slightly noticeable booze. Would have enjoyed a more robust malt presence, or tuned down fruit and herbalness. Full bodied yet smooth, oily and coating, warming, decent carbonation. Very good RIS which sits on the bold and assertive side of complex, some of the malt charachter does get lost in the shuffle.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Wife took me out for my bday to my fav place in the Lehigh Valley, Porter's Pub in Easton! I wanted to get something a little special to celebrate the big day and I thought a bottle of the Crusher would do nicely.

A: Pitch black color that light could not hoepe to penetrate with a thin head that departed a bit too quickly and didn't leave much lace.

S: Chocolate, oatmeal, dark fruit, and some espresso.

T: Bursts forth with a sweet, dark fruit laden chocolate flavor that introduces the dark roasted coffee elements by mid-palate. A bit of hoppy bitterness provided a decent balance at the end.

M: Full bodied and smooth, with moderate carbonation.

D: My first Hoppin' Frog brew and I was very pleased with the brew, a good bday choice. My only complaint is that it was a bit too sweet and lacked a good of balance with the hops. Still this was a rock solid brew and a yummmy RIS. If you're looking for something original try this one, but to be honest, there's probably better RIS's more easily available.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark opaque black with a purple hue. No head though I poured hard, just a ring and lacing.

Smells like a chocolate malt, roasted marshmallows, vanilla, dark bittersweet chocolate, and candied cherries.

The taste is smokey and bittersweet with chocolate, cherry, and caramelized sugars. There is also an earthy flavor. Boozy, like Jack Daniel's and coke.

Thick and syrupy, a heavy dose of carbonation bites the tongue at first, the flavors stick to your tongue as it dries.

Just a little rough around the edges, along with a lot of big bold flavors slow down the consumption of this beer. A warming sipper.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

When I opened it I opened it carefully and near the sink remembering the near disaster with The Dogfather. I had stout foam everywhere! Not so with this beer. The bottle opened with a weak pfft and nothing moved inside. After pouring it, it seemed to have a hard time generating a head and when it finally did (huffing and puffing the whole time), it sank back quicker than it had formed. When it briefly had a head, it was light brown to mocha in color and the beer is jet black and appears flat.

Smells like an RIS...toast and espresso, but you get a whiff of alcohol and chocolate, like Godiva liqueur, but not as smooth.

More of that chocolate comes out in the flavor backed by a roasted malt bitterness. This is sweeter than most RISs and that sweetness presents itself as molasses. I'm drinking it a little colder than I should, but I don't get the usual stout uber-bitterness that rears its ugly head when its temperature drops below 55 degrees. After warming up, the molasses goes to the background and the chocolate comes to the fore, but more in cocoa-like flavor with a little nice not-so-bitter finish. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is silky and full, which is better than silly and fulk. I have no idea what fulk might be, but it doesn't sound good. Anyway, the heat is barely detectable, but it is detectable. After warming up a bit it seems to get a little thinner and the alcohol recedes. Odd for an oatmeal stout. Drink this as close to room temperature as you're comfortable with.

Not sure how many of these I can pound down. After half a glass I'm making stupid Spoonerisms in my beer review and have a strong desire to visit Vietnam due to a show I'm watching on Travel Channel. Yeah, this is good beer, but I'm glad I don't have to drink another. I'd be on the roof yelling stuff at the neighbor about figs and getting shades on their second floor bathroom. Frankly, I looked at the word "roof" a few times and it looked funny to me. Could be a long night and a rough morning as I am now rooting around the beer fridge for something else. :)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery