Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
4.23/5

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

#886

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 1,038
3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

Appearance:
This beer is dark, black with a rich chestnut head even though from a rough pour not much head is produced. Since the head is a little weak there's little retention and lacing to speak of.

Smell:
The first thing I picked up was a stinging alcohol presence which is a little surprising since generally speaking 9% is pretty easy to bury, especially in rich malts. Aside from the rough alcohol there's big scents of coffee and strawberry fruit snacks. Overall the scent has a good potency which has been missing in some recent beers I've had.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The coffee subsides in the flavor giving way to more of the candy cherry and strawberry notes. The malts come across in more of a bitter dark chocolate kind of way and there's a healthy dose of oatmeal which lends a substantial amount of viscosity to the beer. The alcohol has become a bit more subdued but it's still apparent as a brief astringent tinge towards the end of the drink. The finish is Ovaltine like and carries that flavor in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
This is a decent stout but it doesn't play well to my flavor preference for stouts (it's a little too dark and rich) and as such I'm not finding it very downable. I don't know, I just got done with my daily run an hour ago so maybe it's just not refreshing enough at the moment but either way I'm not feeling it.

Bottom Line:
Another pretty good beer from Hoppin' Frog, a brewery I'm coming to like more and more. If you're in to really rich stouts then this would be the one for you. I'm looking forward to revisiting this beer during the winter, perhaps an aged bottle as I feel this beer could benefit from some rounding of the rough edges.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a pry-off 22oz bottle to my Cigar City snifter. Not dating visible anywhere on the bottle or label, but my best guess is that this bottle is about a year old. The store I got it from received one shipment, I believe, of Hoppin’ Frog about a year ago, so that’s my estimate.

Appearance (3.5): Head is minimal, but the color of chocolate milk while it sticks around. Fades quickly to leave a couple of sudsy spots on the sides of the glass, but that’s about it. The body is black-black-black, not even turning reddish at the corners, which I dig. Just wish there was more head going on here.

Smell (2.0): Very tame aroma here. Wish there was a lot more. What’s there recalls dark fruits, sweet molasses and some very faint char. Some chocolate?

Taste (4.0): Following the nose, there’s a strong malty component in the background that’s like dark stone fruits—dates, raisins, prunes—mulled in warm molasses. A bit sweet in that regard, though there’s a lightly bitter coffee note that comes around and cuts through it, which is nice. The oats really are quite noticeable though, smoothing everything over and even helping to mask the alcohol (which is present, too). Light, bittersweet chocolate character floats around everything else going on. The more this warms, the more I enjoy what’s going on.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Nice and thick, viscous but not syrupy, but the carbonation is incredibly subdued—just a light tingle towards the end.

Overall (3.5): This beer feels like it could be great. Maybe it needs to be fresher. Maybe it really benefits from barrel aging. But right now, at about one year on the bottle (at my best estimate), it’s relatively smooth and subdued but not necessarily for the better. I’m not into the harshness of a lot of Russian Imperials, so the “Imperial Oatmeal” idea really speaks to me, but I think there are better examples out there. Good beer, above average, but not a stunner.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%

Great at first but noticed a weird after taste after first sip..that grew into a fishy aftertaste... which grew into an almost drain pour because by the end it tasted like I was drinking shamu

3.47/5  rDev -18%

Vigorous pour of this black oily elixir yields about a centimeter of head that just falls into nothing but a little ring...Smell is chocolaty and boozy. Chocolaty taste as well, like a boozy gouache or a heavy dark chocolate liquor. Heavy bitter and roasted flavors as well. Slight astringency. Silky, chewy, thick mouthfeel. It really just seems like the thought behind this was something like "lets see how EXTREME we can make this!!!" but without much effort to really produce something drinkable. I have been hanging onto this bomber for about a month for a good night to drink it and...disappointed. At the price they are charging, not worth it at all. It will surely get you a hell of a buzz though, since the only option is to buy it in a bomber. Thanks, but at this price point, I will happily stick to my KBS.

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

S: Chocolate, some coffee, dark fruits, touch of dark bread, cinnamon.

L: Thick, thick black, viscous, nice dark tan head, creamy retention.

T: Sweet toffee malt with a mellow roastiness on the backbone. Coffee and cappucino flavors persist throughout. Spicy dryness keeps everything together. Alcohol noticable.

M: Creamy body, full, alcohol noticable, slightly warming.

For wahtever reason, i found the flavors lacking in such a big beer, maybe it was the amount of oatmeal? Not sure, but i was definitely expecting more.

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Pours jet black with a thick mocha head. Head continues to expand for several minutes, leaves sticky residue on glass. Nice looking beer.

S - Definite sweetness from the oats, quite a bit of powdery cocoa and dark chocolate. Malt background, no hops to speak of.

T - Initial dry chocolate taste gives way to oatmeal sweetness. For me, the beer was a bit over-roasted and had an acidic bitterness.

M - Nice, thick and chewy, very smooth.

D - I had a hard time with the bitterness in this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

Black pour with minimal head. Lots of chocolate aroma, molasses, and a fair amount of alcohol. Lots of chocolate flavor upfront, oats lending to a nice smoothness of flavors and a very bitter coffee finish. Medium-thin body, lots of alcohol warming, dry finish.

3.49/5  rDev -17.5%

Had this recently at a tasting where we tasted it along side the BA version. I was excited to try this beer as I have heard a lot about it.
Pours a dark brown almost black color with a slight tan head. The aroma is the biggest let down. I didn't get a real strong aroma at all from it. The taste is quite flat as well in my opinion as there really isn't too much there. Dark roast malt. The mouthfeel is medium. The drinkability is fairly low for me. We had 4 guys splitting a bottle and no one really wanted to finish it off. One thing to say is that the abv is well hidden as it did not seem boozy to me.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Black with absolutely no opacity and a brown head. Roast almost burnt coffee on the nose.

Very long finish on this beer.big toasty flavor of both malts and coffee. Very smooth rolling body.a lot of stuff going on. Lots of layers of flavor going on with a distinct roasted character to it all. Lots of complex coffee notes.the oats really add a nice sweetness and mouthfeel that counter some of the most stringent and harsh flavors of the beer.

While there are some harsh aspects to this beer, they cover it up and compliment them pretty nicely. Oddly no alcohol detection

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery