B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Reviews: 1,031 | Ratings: 2,713
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I’ve been looking forward to trying Hoppin’ Frog since I learned of their existence. Through a stroke of luck there is a store in my area (From The Vine of course) that now carries them. As usual I went right to my favorite style first. This beer turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Pours thoroughly black with a medium thick and foamy head that lasts awhile. Nice patchy lacing. Big roasted malt aroma that has touches of chocolate and coffee as well. Rich body with a really flavorful with a roasty character. Lots of malt, chocolate, nuts and coffee flavors. Sweet touches of vanilla as well, and a bit of an alcohol presence. The finish is long and tasty with hops and sweet malt. An admirable offering from a new brewer!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the 22 oz bomber ($6.99 at Jungle Jim's) into a pint glass to produce a thick 1" layer of dark tan foam over an opaque ebony liquid. The lacing on the glass, as I drink, is probably the thickest lacing I've ever seen!

The aroma was very pungent... sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: WOW! a GREAT RIS! The first thing to hit me is a nice warming sweetness. Lots of dark chocolate and warm malt. What have I gotten myself into here?.... This is so rich and flavorful that I'm questioning my ability to finish the bomber on my own! Well, I'll take my time and thoroughly enjoy this one! The taste continues to produce many sensations as I drink. There is a bitterness in the finish that is like a woodsy, charcoal finish.... GREAT BALANCE of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great for a RIS.... thick, robust, chewey, low carbonation. Mouth coating and aftertaste will be with me for quite some time.

Drinkability: HEY!... this is a Russian Imperial Stout.... 9.4% abv! You're not going to sit down and have 3 bombers of this by yourself! But for the style.... it's RIGHT ON! This is a beer that drinks like a MEAL!... in fact.... that's my LUNCH for today. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... go out and find this and have one for yourself... half a pint to go.... I.... can... make.... it...OK... this is my new REFERENCE RIS... formerly Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout.... This one knocked Brooklyn off it's pedestal... It was VERY CLOSE.... but I think this one wins.... Just for kicks.... I should do a side-by-side comparison some day.

All 4.5's for this one.... I must leave room at the top for another beer to come along and dethrone this one...

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

For those of us who know the history of this brew, and know Fred Karm's original recipe for Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night realize how contract brewing in Frederick brewing keeping the brand alive can kill what the beer was all about. Now enters Hoppin' Frog and all is right in the world. Appears pitch black motor oil that absolutely absorbs every band of the visible light spectrum where everything fades to black. Head is a dark brown mocha hue, forms thick. With my first gulp of the brew head is left evenly all around my Southern Tier pint glass. Aromatics bring out deep roasted malts with coffee and dark chocolate and the oatmeal adds that layer of cereal grain softness to the mix, while herbal hops flow as well. Sweet decadent creamy burnt marshmallows with singe of alcohol tickling the ol' nares. Flavor a rolling wave of oatmeal and roasted malt sweet and roasted malt bitterness. Creamy sweet syrup added to a bowl of plain oatmeal, with cocoa powder and flame roasted marshmallow added to the mix that's what this beer tastes like. After your first few sips you think where's the hops because in flavor only minimal herbal balancing hop flavor survives the malt trip, but by the third or fourth sip the hop burps arrive and you realize where those sixty international bitterness units are hiding. Huge yet perfectly balanced beer sweet and creamy yet roasty and hoppy, the ying and yang of all dark beers. Mouthfeel is huge creamy borderline custard at times, carbonation rolls sluggishly trying to move that high gravity around, you can tell when you watch the pour. It takes awhile for the head to form even after a vigorous pour. Drinkability is effortless even after 22oz I could have another glass. I learned this after having it on tap before it arrive in Pittsburgh. I made a beer run up to Boardman, OH to visit Ron Bush at his Diamond Bar where Boris was flowing. A couple glasses later had me owned by this brew, my second meeting with this fine brew came at Smokin' Joe's in the South Side after a Pirate's game, needles to say I tried to make this brew a session beer....I know I know...respect beer. By the way thanks to Valley Wine Cellar I can now by it in the city where I live for $7.99 a bottle, that's value.

22oz bottle thanks to movajo

A- Pours opaque black with a real nice brown 1 finger head that leaves alright lacing.

S- Sweet roasted malts with a definite booze presence. Also some nice coffee and chocolate is noticeable.

T- Delicious roasted dark chocolate and coffee. Tastes like a tall cup of black coffee with some perfectly blended alcohol booze that is nothing like the aroma.

M- Full bodied with lower carbonation and a strong dry bitter finish.

SkÅL!

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours jet black with nice thick mocha colored head that sticks around for several minutes before settling to a thin cap.

Aroma - Wow this thing smells amazing, dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, hints of coffee and molasses as well. I also swear I smell some banana.

Taste - The flavors are very balanced. roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate, vanilla and coffee. There is only a slight hint of the alcohol.

Feel - Full bodied, very creamy and smooth. There is a warming feel from the alcohol. I would say an almost perfect feel

Overall - This is just an amazing beer, wonderful nose and flavors and so smooth. There is no sign of the 9.4% ABV other than a little warmth.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

Got this one for Christmas...

A: Very dark with no head and a slight mocha colored ring around the edges that disappears quickly.

S: This smell phenomenal! This took me by surprise. I smell awesome oakiness and roastiness in the scent. Smells amazingly smooth and tasty.

T: Very surprising. I love the taste on this. Has a sweetness upfront followed by oaky oatmeal flavors that linger on my taste buds. Taste amazingly smooth! So close to perfect! Just a little againg would make this one perfect!

M: The carbonation on this is good. A little sloppy in the stickiness feeling, but not too bad.

D: This one goes down very easy. I might finish this entire bomber myself.

All in all, this brew was a pleasant surprise. I'm very happy I got to try this brew. This is an awesome example of a stout for people looking for the best of the genre that is easily attainable. Highly recommended!

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

22oz. brown bomber, poured into a snifter. No dating.

A: Pours deep black with big viscosity. A semi short head forms from a small pour and holds for a bit. Head is deep espresso froth. Decent lacing.

S: Some of the oats pop out right away, along with a subtle porter like cola. Burnt malts and dark, alcoholic fruits.

T/M: Big robust malt backbone. Lots of roasted, charred, smoky, and woody malt notes. A bit of underlying sweetness accompanied by some dark, juicy fruits. Definitely some chocolate covered cherries, very distrinctive. Some oats come out but as undertones. Enough hops to balance but not to the 'Expedition Stout degree', lol. Mouthfeel is fan-fucking-tastic. Big, full mouthfeel; not heavy, overpowering, cloying. Big velvety, silky feel and is so extremely inviting. Alcohol is hidden rather well. A bit of drying at the end, especially after warming a bit. Bitterness peaks in the long drying finish.

D: 9.4% RIS and it drinks like a low ABV oatmeal stout. I haven't had this in a long time and I have no idea why. I'm glad I realized I hadn't reviewed it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Looks like any decent stout...very little head, and what's there is a glowing toasted-marshmallow brown. Head disappears quickly to a thin crown, while the color is deep, deep, deep black. Zero lace.

Sweet lactic creamy chocolate center, Batman...this aroma is fantastic! Deeply nutty, mellow roast, fresh cream and Hershey bar, all superbly balanced and mingled. Yeah.

Again with the dreamy chocolate and full-on dark roast coffee, the flavor is balanced and big. Plenty of milky sweetness to offset the bitter, roasted flavors. Hops magically weave their way through all the other big stuff here, the balance making this 9.4% RIS insanely drinkable. Just a flash of heat from the alcohol, only adding another depth level to this tasty, tasty beer.

Texture is uber-smooth, round and slick, maybe not quite the creamy insanity I want from any stout (like, say, Bell's Expedition Stout--best stout ever?), but it does a fine enough job.

Very, very good beer. The flavor seems to only improve with warming and repeated contemplation. Perhaps the most drinkable beer of its type...not sure why. Maybe it's the superb balance or relatively sensible ABV. Whatever the case, B.O.R.I.S. = B.A.D.A.S.S.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Cellar-aged version released by Hoppin' Frog. Had during Hobo Tasting #2 with mikesgroove. Served from bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Poured pitch black with a minimal brown head that subsided to no head to speak of slowly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, sweet malt, chocolate, and dark fruit. The flavor was of roasted malt, sweet malt, chocolate, dark fruit, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a complete transformation of the regular brew. It has been in my cellar for a little over a year and there is no clue how long it was in storage before I bought it, but this thing was nice. As Mike stated, the alcohol burn was completely gone which allowed the dark fruits to open up in all their beauty that I had never experienced on this brew before. Definitely became a more complex and tasty brew with time. This brew really shocked me. An absolute MUST try if you can find the version to save yourself some time, or you can just throw a few in your own cellar and wait. Trust me, it is worth it!

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours deep deep black and initially the head pours out blood red but then turns back to a deep caramel brown, but eventually fades into a very thin ring. A dark and imposing beer.

S: Strong roasted coffee, oatmeal, vanilla and brown sugar. I am not kidding about it being strong, seriously. Amazingly sweet.

T/MF: Full bodied, almost chewy yet still maintains a smooth and creamy mouthfeel along with a solid back ended bitterness. Beer sits on your tongue. Smooth almost milky chocolate, smooth oatmeal, roasted coffee and brown sugar, mild caramel, a bit of alcohol heat with a mix of tobacco and dark fruits. Damn, this beer is just an exercise in smoothness.

D: An excellent sipper, a great beer, if a bit expensive but well worth the price.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Thick syrupy black. Two fingers of thick creamy medium brown head with good retention and moderate lacing. Definitely a looker.

4.5 S: Smells almost like straight up bootstrap molasses. Lots of roasted barley and caramelized malts. Oatmeal complements the other aromas well.

4.5 T: I haven't had many oatmeal stouts, but this is easily the best. Lots of roasted barley and toasty flavors. This has one of the most elegant flavor profiles for a stout that I've ever experienced. There are no off flavors: no fusels, no slightly sour flavor from the oats, no excessive burnt flavors. Oats complement the roasted flavors.

4.0 M: Smooth and creamy. Lower medium carbonation which works really well. Good, but not too impressive.

5.0 D: One hell of a brew. I could easily put down a few of these since it's really flavorful, but have no off flavors at all.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

This poured a deep, dark black with a creamy tan head that faded too fast for me, but left good rings of thick lace.

The aroma was of coffee, dark chocolate, mocha, and dark fruit. Earthy hops peek through to balance with a smooth vanilla hint in the back.

The taste follows with a robust roasted malt taste, a lingering sweet chocolate and caramel middle, hints of mocha and vanilla and earthy elements balancing things out.

Very smooth, creamy and thick.

Overall, a nicely balanced, rich, and enjoyable sipper.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Acquired via trade from jpm30, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep, dark black color with a thin brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thin but dense lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of coffee, chocolate, oats, dark malts and a touch of dark fruit.

T: The taste is full of roasted coffee & oats, smoky malts, dark chocolate, toasted oats some dark fruit and an ever-so-slight alcohol burn. The beer has a very mild hops presence but it’s stronger than you would expect in the style. There’s a very good balance for an RIS when most are usually overly sweet. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Very smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily for a beer with 9.40% ABV, not as filling as most stouts, excellent representation of style, this is a damn good beer that you could either knock back 2-3 bombers if you’re looking to pound a big stout or just sit back and sip slowly.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into my pint glass, this beer was an intensely dark brown, nearly black slice of heaven. I got almost no head, and what little appeared went away almost immediately.

Aroma can pretty much be summed up as STRONG. Strong dark malts, and strong dark fruits (mostly figs and prunes). After I became accustomed to it, I detected some faint hops. Seriously, this aroma was so thick I could almost chew it.

Taste was strong dark malt, roasted barley, and coffee at first. This was followed by strong dark fruits, and a slight sweetness. Nice. Unlike many others, I didn't get any chocolate or cocoa flavors.

Mouthfeel was awesome. Thick and rich, full-bodied, but not heavy, if you can believe it.

Drinkability is very high. I didn't have any problems finishing this bottle. That being said, I don't think I could have more than two pints should I be lucky enough to find it on tap somewhere. One bottle did nicely.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours thick and near black with reddish-brown edges, chocolate head, fades to nothing.

Smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, malt, dark fruit.

Roasted coffee, malt, dark chocolate, dark fruit, cocoa, a subtle lingering hop bitterness.

Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

A very nice RIS. No off-flavors. Killer mouthfeel. I'm a sucker for coffee and dark chocolate, so I thought this was great.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours out in a deep black oil color with a brown head.

The aroma is lovely. Big bitter chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, and definitely some umami.

The flavor follows with a deep chocolate flavor and hugely roasted/burnt malt. It transforms to a bit of licorice, but not in an offensive way. It’s almost smokey and burnt with how deep and rich it is.

The mouthfeel is huge on this. It’s so velvety and creamy.

As a beer, this is less big and heavy, compared to the DORIS. This is more drinkable, though still being a huge mouthfeel and flavor beer. I can’t decide which I prefer because they’re both all so good. This definitely has less big burnt flavors and is less heavy on the tongue, despite being only about 1% ABV less.

A really fantastic beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle that I have cellar-ed for a year into my Victory Golden Monkey tulip-ed snifter...

A - Dark black and hints of brown along the edges of the glass. Nice one finger burnt caramel color head recedes after just a few seconds.

S - Lots going on here. Big roasted malts, chocolate, slight coffee, molasses, and in the background, hints of vanilla. Almost a barrel aged quality to this nose.

T - Creamy roasted malts, chocolate, some molasses, and a much bigger barrel aged presence comes out. Not sure why the taste has developed like this, but I have no complaints whatsoever. The alcohol is present but nothing that overpowers, instead complements everything else that is going on. Also get dark fruits as well: raisins and figs.

M - Creamy and thick. Exactly the way I like big bold stouts. This one is as smooth as velvet the whole way through the bottle.

D - Pretty bold and thick so it was a little slower to get done, but nothing that couldn't be handled. It would be great to have in the middle of winter to warm up in front of a fire.

Can't wait to try the other bottles I am going to let age even longer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks go to Mudpuppet for trading me this one.

Poured in a big wine glass at 56 F/ 13 C.

Dark and opaque. Dark tan creamy head that mostly subsides. Finely textured tan lace.

Sweet rich aroma of oatmeal and dark chocolate, along the lines of a fresh batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Tastes sweet, roasty, and delicious. Loads of oatmeal and chocolatey malt. Excellent balance between the sweetness, roast, and some hop bitterness that rolls in. Faint citrusy hop flavor. Long bittersweet roasty finish, with a leathery savory note, and some spice in the throat. Cohesive, characterful, and very tasty.

Killer thick rich texture. Quite drinkable.

Great beer, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Deschutes snifter. Acquired in N00B BIF #5 from Axic10.

A - Pours super viscous jet black with absolutely zero head to speak of. As the bubbles that formed the pour settle i see a nice amber edge on the side of the glass. Swirling the beer vigorously barely creates any head, but what does form is a great medium brown color, like what i have come to expect from an imperial stout.

S - What a great smelling beer. Fairly sweet smelling with dark stone fruits, raisins on the front end and espresso and the darkest chocolate on the back. I smell a bit of oak and perhaps some vanilla as well. The nose it not overpowering at all, and is truly marvelous.

T - Not nearly as sweet as i was expecting. Huge coffee flavors jump out with some bitter sweet chocolate to balance out the coffee. Again there is a hint of charred oak, not sure why, cause this isn’t a BA beer. Those stone fruits that i picked up in the smell as virtually non existent and only manifest themselves with a burp. Weird, but cool.

M - This is one of the thickest and heaviest beers i have ever had. Like Old Viscosity, only more viscous. Thick, oily, great carbonation. Supper smooth and a pleasure to sip. The ABV although 9.4% is masterfully hidden.

O - I was really impressed with this beer and am glad i have another from a previous visit to NY that i was too afraid to open since i was certain i would really like it and not be able to find one for a while. Glad i waited cause the expectation was worth it. One of the best RIS's available.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Bold and dark roasty Imperial Stout. Enjoyed this with my wife at Rattle N Hum in NYC. We have been looking to try this one for a while, and were excoted to see they had a bottle.

Impressive wafting roasty aromas and tastes. Chocolate, coffee, roasty malts, balanced well with some hop character and dark caramel malts. Full body with lower carbonation.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bomber from the Liquor Shoppe in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours an opaque black body with a thin film of tan head. Dark chocolate, coffee, dates, a touch of vanilla. Dark chocolate, coffee, burnt malt, caramel, some oatmeal. Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. While it's definitely a sipper, one sip definitely invites another and this beer was gone way too soon. Phenomenal. One of the best big stouts I've ever had. Awesome.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

A big thank you to goryshkewych for this one!!

S = Roasted malt and dark chocolate with a faint hint of alcohol in the background.

T = Dark chocolate flavor upfront with a very nice roasted coffee flavor near the end. The finish was like eating dark chocolate expresso beans. The bitterness level was very low along with no harsh, burnt coffee taste. The alcohol was well hidden.

MF = Not overly thick, lightly carbonated, incredibly smooth and creamy.

Overall, I highly recommend this beer. Exceptionally easy to drink and one of the best that I've tried.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Havin a party, bottling my latest homebrew batch and my buddy drops in with this baby. 2008 batch.

Appearance: Deep , dark, black color with zero light penetration. Rich light brown headed that diminishes to nothing. Spotty lacing.

Smell: Definitely a sweeter smell, molasses, coffee, maybe vanilla.

Taste: Definitly a coffe taste that hits right away. At the same time theres a sweet note with a long molasses after taste, almost like licorice.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, glides in and then glides down the throat.

Drinkability: I could finish this beer myself, despite this time I shared witha group of friends, its got a great taste that makes you want more.

Notes: I could do wthout the long sweet aftertaste, but overall i lovethis beer.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer was received from BA alleykatking as part of BIF Race 2009. I chose a Duvel Tulip for pouring this into, and the beer was a little bit more carbonated than I had anticipated, which resulted in some fizzy noise, and a two finger thick head atop the pitch black body. The smell was sweet and malty with not a lot of coffee or roast grains. The taste followed the smell closely as well, with berry like sweetness and alcohol warmth, and not a lot of astringency. I liked how the oats added smoothness to the mouthfeel. This was possibly one of the most approachable RIS style beers I have sampled, that was not dumbed down for the sake of drinkability. Good stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Served slightly chilled, poured into a chalice. The color is black and foreboding but the head that forms is small and did not have the greatest retention. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass. I took a whiff even before I poured this beer and I just fell in love with the aroma. The black malt just shines. Hints of chocolate, molassas, espresso melds nicely together. There is also a hint of citrus which I assume comes from the hops. Alcohol is not detected.

Despite this not being barrel-aged, I pick up whisky like flavors. It is subtle. The malt gives pleasant flavors of chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, and coffee. Bitterness is not all that high despite the claim of 60 IBUs. A little burnt bitterness however. I do not taste the alcohol but there is a definate warming affect. I thought the body might be a little bigger and smoother with the addition of oatmeal. The oatmeal should of helped the appearance as well.

Without any barrel-aging voodoo, this developed a really complex aroma and flavor. I would like to enjoy this beer again someday. One of the better examples of the style that I have had.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery