Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
4.23/5

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 1,038
3.85/5  rDev -9%

BA Review #450

22 oz bottle, no date. poured into snifter

appears black, with thin dark tan head that fades fast. aroma of bitter roasted espresso, licorice, a touch of smoke. taste is not as bitter, more balanced. but still very roasty, and leans towards savory. medium body, low carbonation. maybe not quite as thick as I'd like to match the rest of the beer.

overall - let the beer warm up, the aroma and taste opens up a lot. but for the very high price of the Hoppin Frog beers, a bit under whelming.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pitch black, opaque imperial stout. Descent head for the style. Little lacing but this is expected.

Big aroma of coffee, dark chocolate and burnt toast. Lots of alcohol in the nose too, bourbon.

Bold roasted flavor with coffee and roasted nuts. Bitter overall. Dark chocolate comes in with a hint of sweetness. Intense hop bite adds to the bitterness. Smooth molasses sweetness is just enough to balance.

Dense, full-bodied feel. Well carbonated. No syrupy feel. Smooth texture from the oatmeal and chocolate.

This is good stuff. Complex, intense and very tasty!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Group rating

Appearance: satin black, small head, looks like a stout

Aroma: rich malts and chocolate dominated the nose. Great aroma!

Palate: smooth, full bodied, alcoholic is moderate.

Taste: huge chocolate flavors, mild malts, and graham flavors make this a great beer

Overall: a fantastically brew and I'm really looking forward to this comin to Wisconsin!

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from brown bomber bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a dark black with dark brown edges. A nice 2 finger brown chocolate head. Good retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is that of milk chocolate, roasted barley, a bit of fruity character, a mild hop character, and some licorice. Very good.

T/M - Just like the nose the beer starts with a nice blend of chocolate and roasted malts. It expands with a mild bitterness along with some light licorice. The oatmeal allows for a full mouthfeel without being overpowering. Good carbonation. The beer finishes creamy and smooth with a nice roastiness that lasts.

D - The beer hides the alcohol well. Good drinkability.

D: It goes down easily and I feel as if I could go for another.

Reviewed on: 03-12-2011 02:36:03

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on 2012-01-26 in Danville, KY.

A - Midnight black with a 2- finger light brown head that drops to a skim coating with some ringed lacing.

S - Dark roasted grain, dark chocolate, some coffee, some ripe cherry.

T - Chocolate milkshake with a couple shots of expresso. Acrid bitterness from the dark roasted grain swells into the aftertaste with a nice amount of balancing chocolate sweetness. Alcohol is subdued.

M - Thick body and light carbonation. As creamy and substantial as I had hoped for.

O - Well-balanced and easy to drink. Reminds me of a Terrapin Wake N Bake with less coffee. Also reminds me of a Founders Imperial Stout although not as charred. Not as commanding a Russian Imperial Stout in terms of boldness of flavors as something like Firestone Walker's Parabola. Guess this is pretty good stuff though based on the beers I am comparing it to!

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Crush ME!!!! Damn that's a good Stout! Trying the Crusher Imperial Stout from Hoppin Frog after an evening of sled riding....Great beer to end the night with. The beer pour a oil black with very thin tan head that does not appear to be lacing in my chalice glass. The smell is a beautiful chocolate with hints of roast and espresso. The taste great balance of chocolate, roast, and booze. The mouthfeel is full bodied with smooth carbonation. Overall this is a great beer.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Grabbed a big ole bottle of this having never tried an oatmeal stout before, this definitely made me a fan. I made a real rookie move drank the first half straight out of the fridge and it didn't do it for me at all, after I let it warm for 15 min, its one of my favorite stouts.

A: Always weird to judge the appearance of an imperial stout. Muddy black, thick as motor oil.

S: Chocolate, oatmeal, little bit of booze and licorice.

T: Dark chocolate, burnt coffee, grainy oatmeal and the small bit of licorice that was on the nose.

M: Milkshake, thick and creamy, low carbonation with a small bitter bite on the end.

O: Great beer, definitely grabbing some more of this. It also makes me want to try a lot more oatmeal stouts. If you are a dark beer drinker, don't pass on this.

RIII

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery. BeerAdvocate lists this one as a Russian Imperial Stout. I've cross-tagged it below as an Imperial Stout, Russian Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout just to cover all my bases.
Score: 94

Unknown vintage bottle, purchased Thanksgiving weekend in 2011. Served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed 01/18/12.

Appearance: Pours a jet black, motor oil color. Completely opaque. Quarter finger of darker brown/khaki colored head that quickly settles into a ring around the glass. Pretty good lacing for a 9.4% ABV beer. 4.5/5

Smell: Lots of mellow, but sweet raisin/fig/dark fruit and milk chocolate upfront. A little earthy nuttiness too. Behind the raisins and milk chocolate is freshly cooked oatmeal and toasted oats. You can tell this is going to be a sweeter stout from the aroma. Tons of classic Russian Imperial Stout flavors here, but they are more mellowed out rather than in-your-face. 4.5/5

Taste: Sweet, roasted chocolate and raisin throughout, but not as sweet of a stout as anticipated from the aroma. Certainly nowhere near as sweet as the Baller Stout. Raw/bitter dark chocolate on the midpalate and in the finish. Some toasted oat on the midpalate too, though the oat characteristics are much more subdued than they were in the aroma. Finish is sweet dark fruit and bitter chocolate. As the beer layers, a little tobacco/leather comes out in the finish. The level of sweetness in the beer also gradually grows as the beer layers, with increasing amounts of raisins, but it never gets overly sweet. Absolute no alcohol presence in the taste. The finish really lingers on this beer and is quite superb. Some 30 seconds after my last sip I am still tasting residual raw chocolate and raisin. Yum! 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, light-medium carbonation. Very viscous, chewy mouthfeel. Finish is sweet and sticky. Perfect mouthfeel for a Russian Imperial Stout. 5/5

Overall: After drinking this brew, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a Russian Imperial Stout. Some of the 4.5's in my review are "soft" 4.5's because they are really 4.3's and I do not do quarter step ratings. B.O.R.I.S. is one of the better beers that I have had in the style, though it is on the sweeter end for an imperial stout. I prefer the original version (this brew) to either D.O.R.I.S. or Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. If you have not yet had this beer, I highly recommend seeking it out.

Recommendation: A great starter Russian Imperial Stout for casual beer drinkers, and a must try brew for beer geeks.

Pairings: Creamy French vanilla ice cream (maybe even a sundae with nuts).

Cost: $9.99 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Bought this near Cocoa Beach in 2010.

Poured from a 22oz. bomber and shared with a few friends.

Appearance: Dense black body with some brown tones. This dark brown ring that kind of hangs around.

Smell: Oats, chocolate and fresh brewed coffee.

Taste: Stronger on the chocolate than the oatmeal. Has a sweetened coffee taste to it as well.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation and ultra smooth. I did find the body lacked a certain robustness.

Overall: A solid stout but not top tier in my book. Still, the ease of consumption and the flavors are attractive.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery