Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
4.23/5

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

#887

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 1,038

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bomber
$7.99
Sams Marcey

B.O.R.I.S. exits the glass more viscous then I expected and pools in the snifter midnight black. The pour produced a half finger worth dark brown head. The head fades rather quickly to a small cap but each swirl of the glass brings it back to life. The viscosity and dark head make this look like a big bold stout.

The aroma, upfront at least, reminds me of a peanut infused stout I sampled a couple months back from Short's. The peanut butter presence is big throughout but is greeted by a solid amount of roasty malts and dark, slightly under ripe berries from middle to end. The peanut butter is always there and comes in waves, cresting and falling all the while my nose is in the glass. I'm really digging the smell of this stout.

Now this is a quality beer! Peanut butter, thick roasted malts, and a bit of dark chocolate all come together right off the bat. These three flavors intertwine and mingle throughout and the peanut butter comes on a little stronger on the swallow. There's a little berriness here and there from mid-palate through the finish but I have to work to pick them out and the faintest amount of alcohol on the finish adds depth. An excellent beer!

The body has some weight but it's where it should be instead of the huge thickness, more silky then creamy. Leaves a little stick on the back of the tongue.

This is a very easy bomber to put away. All the flavors mingle really well so it doesn't kill the palate like some others. The silkiness keeps it flowing.

I'm really impressed by this stout from Hoppin' Frog. I've heard good things and am glad we now have distribution in Illinois. I'll be stocking up on B.O.R.I.S. from now on. The peanut butter character is very unique and delicious.

Reviewed: 5/4/08

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into Vault 16 oz oversized snifter.

Black motor oil pour with a thin dark khaki head which dissipates quickly into a rim around the edge.

Roasty toasted malt, vanilla, cacao, caramel, alcohol, dark fruits, coffee

Malty and toasted, sweetness, vanilla, chocolate, bitter hops, coffee, figs, pretty much to the smell.

Feel is full, sticky and chewy, really great body for a stout. A tad high on the carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall, a solid enjoyable RIS, nothing special to the point of being on anyone's top 10 lists, but for $9 and available year round this is a very solid option. Definitely one of the blackest stouts I've seen in a while.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%