B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Reviews: 1,025 | Ratings: 2,685
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

jet black, thick pour with a beautiful rich chocolate head that dissapates quickly. Smells very roasty, malty, hoppy? Very warm roasted malt, with coffee hints. Flavor that lasts very long on the tongue. I get a little licorice after warming. Wow lots of very nicely blended flavors, with almost no clue of 9.4 ABV. Very easy to drink. When I poured my second glass I poured it from about 15 inches from the glass. This created a huge head that had an incredible reverse cascading head that left a thick creamy foam that was like ice cream. unbeliablely incredibly wonderful! highly recommended

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2. No apparent bottled on/best by date to be found.

A: Pours black with a dark ruby-like tinge around the edges. Two finger, extremely active bubbly head that fades away quickly with an immediate amount of decent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, licorice, cinnamon, sweet chocolate. More alcohol than I was expecting. Very earthy, some smoke.

T: Actually fairly bitter up front, the hops are certainly present. Coffee/espresso, fades to sweet malts. Something slightly medicinal and off-putting (phenolic?) mixed with some berry aromas. Strong alcohol presence at the back end with a nice roasty oatmeal finish.

M: Low carbonation, fairly thin, but syrupy and oh so sticky.

O: This was pretty lacking, but I had pretty high expectations - the basic flavors were there, but they didn't seem to work together so well, the negative flavors and alcohol burn detracted from them, and the mouthfeel was really pretty thin. By no means a bad beer, but nothing too special either.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours black with little head. The lacing dissipates quickly, seeming flat. The smell is a nice mixture of fruit and roasted coffee. The taste starts off of dark chocolate and espresso, then turns more nutty and fruity - i get hints of almond and raisins. The mouthfeel is superb, very thick and delicious with mellow carbonation. It finishes smooth, with a little hop bitterness and warmth from the alcohol. Overall, a very nice imperial stout - but amidst so much hype, it fell a little short.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass courtesy of jeddsp. Wow. What a tantalizing product. Slowly rolling out the bottle I found a thick dark flow, topped eloquently by a creamy, chocolate crown. Gorgeous. Head lingered a while to boot. Right up front on the nose there is a good mass of chocolate and booze, then behind, the oat and grain. In the mouth it warms, clinging with effervesence, coating the orafice with dark chocolates and fresh oats. The alcohol hides well in the flavor, but is apparent. Good hints of coffee compliment the warm nature. Nice voluptuous body makes this a wonderful beverage. Excellent tick. Competes strongly with the d.o.r.I.s. the destroyer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Black colour. Thin, dark brown head. Leaves no lacing.

Great smell of coffee, cacao and roasted malts.

Actually rather sweet taste of coffee, oatmeal and malts. There are even some hops making themselves apparent from behind the heavy malts.

Well balanced mouthfeel. Sweet, strong, the alcohol doesn't bother you at all.

Very high drinkability, the beers starts strong and grows on you throughout the session.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow! The first thing you notice is an intense caramelly sweetness that luckily ISN'T marked by diacetyl. It balances with a wonderful roasty oatness that lingers in your mouth with slight coffee notes. I should also mention that the head is a GORGEOUS dark tan.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Tastes are fully deep dark dark chocolate, soy sauce, French toast, smoke, smog, booze, engine fuel, (milk of) magnesium, plum skins, hops, graham crackers, tree leaves, dark fruits, week-old coffee, cough medicine, and kilned malt. Quite the journey, maaaan.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a snifter

A - black with only the slightest hint of brownish red at the very bottom of the glass. Thin ring remained after the 1 finger head left due to pretty active carbonation. Nice oily lacing.

S - very rich chocolate and roasted malts but not as dark as it looks in smell. Not a bad thing, let's just hope it doesn't take a lot from the taste.

T - very nice dark chocolate and roasted malts, but not as heavily roasted as many stouts. Big espresso notes and licorice also noticeable.

M - it's an above average mouthfeel for an oatmeal stout. Not perfect, but damn good.

D - I had a new holland the poet earlier that tastes like sour, band-aid and copper penny so I thought this may be a bad luck day for stouts so I was tempted to go with a quad, but I saw Boris sitting as the first stout next to my quads and took it as a sign. Glad I did. Not the best, but this is worth picking up as a go to for when your tops aren't around. I'll be picking more of this up - definitely recommended.

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Jet black with a slight dark cappuccino head that settles quickly.

S - Sweet roasted malt and oat. A touch of cocoa.

T - I think my eyes just rolled to the back a little. That is delicious. The same roasted malt flavor. The oats sweeten it a bit. Some chocolate and coffee. Good hop profile provides a goo. Very good.

M - Coats the mouth well. Well carbonated.

D - Oh yeah. I could do this one all night.

The only problem with this beer is that for $1 more I can get a six pack of Siberian Night.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

B.O.R.I.S. THE CRUSHER Review

I knew I was pretty much up a creek when I bought this bad boy tonight...I picked a bomber off the shelf and asked the clerk if he would recommend it. "You taking a lunch break" was his response. When I got it home I popped open the cap and dumped about half of it into my standard tasting glass; a 22 oz. crystal snifter. The head that was created was rich and creamy, like the froth from a freshly stirred glass of chocolate milk. Over the next few minutes it slowly dissipated, but left a thin film of carbonation across the top of the beverage. The color was jet black, the negative of light, absolute darkness. No life was able to penetrate its absolute darkness. The aroma was heavy, loaded with dark roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, and very few hops. Ditto's for the taste. There is such a malty sweetness in the beer that almost all of the hops are cancelled out. I've had very malty beers that were brewed with lager yeast and malty beers brewed with ale yeast, and I can say that I love the ale yeast. It's something about the yeast characteristic that draws me to this ale. Very robust and assertive, unlike a bock which has a like yeast profile and uber malts to back it up. Communism does suck the Almighty Big One, but this beer is truly a grand gift from the Czars.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Shared with walows, from his cellar. Thanks beer geek girlfriend! You are the best.

It's a perfectly delicious Oatmeal Imperial Stout, and totally sexy pouring out of the bottle. Smells good, tastes good. It's thick, viscous, and luscious. But the best part: I love the way it slinks across my tongue.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to my buddy Capt. Chapman USAF for giving me a bottle of this.

Appearance is a deep dark brown with a one finger head that quickly dissipates down to a thin lace. Minimal lacing as it goes down. Smells of dark rich chocolate, and slight alcohol notes. Taste is of toasty malt with mocha. Oats give it a nice aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very creamy. Drinkability I think was quite high for a big beer.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

A. Pours a thick, syrup-like, jet black like an Imperial Stout should. Seriously, it lets no light through. It has a thick brown head that lasts.

S. Dark and Chocolaty, with strong roasted malt. Sweet with hints of coffee and brown sugar.

T. Dark, very roasted, almost burnt flavor. This beer is sweet and strong. The flavor lives up to the appearance and smell like few others do.

M. Strong and chewy with great body and decent carbonation. This beer is not just a pleasure, but also a meal in itself.

D. A couple of pints would be my limit. While the 9.4% alcohol is not overbearing, there is a lot here to enjoy. This would be a great beer to sip on a cold winter night.

This beer is an excellent example of the style and a true pleasure to enjoy. Great beer!

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Pours pitch black with thick foamy tan head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Chocolatey, roasted aroma, with some dark fruit and alcohol added in.

T - Lots of dark malty flavor, with coffee and chocolate. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy bite.

M - Full bodied, a bit of an oily mouthfeel. Goes down smooth.

D - Excellent brew, highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz. bottle, pint glass
*1 year cellar aged! Thanks Bruisin' Ales, you rock :D

Appearance - Black as midnight. Not sure if the age had anything to do with the carbonation, but I had to do a full, aggressive center-pour to produce a one-finger foam. Head was very very dark...I would say a gunmetal color. Lingered for a while but eventually settled into a ring around the glass. No lacing.

Smell - Chocolate malts, but otherwise a very quiet and balanced scent. I can smell the alcohol as well...9.4% + whatever a year of aging gives you though, makes that forgivable.

Taste - Burnt sugar sweetness in the front that mellows through the middle, and gives way to coffee off the back and dark chocolate in the aftertaste. A fun ride, well balanced. Despite smelling the alcohol, it is almost unnoticeable in the taste.

Mouth Feel - Pretty good here. I still think its a touch low on the carbonation, but has a nice creamy feel and is smooth all the way down. No sting from the alcohol - this puppy is dangerous!

Drinkability - Very pleasant to drink, however at the end of the bottle I was feeling...well, nice :) Two bombers of this stuff would probably be my limit. But the ABV is really the only thing that would keep me from drinking this over a long period of time.

3.68/5  rDev -13%

ok. My initial caveat is that I have Zero experience with style. I've always been a Belgian ale drinker, and a relative novice at that. But, I came to this site to expand my palate and seeing that more than 50% of RIS get A's, I figured I should introduce myself. Where better to start than with my local Akron brewery.

A - viscous and black. Oil in a glass. Very thin khaki head.

S- chocolate, burnt sugar, coffee beans

T- all of the above plus a bitter tobacco flavor that slowly transforms on the palate to a more conventional hop flavor.

M- it thick but not as thick as I would have guessed

D- what can I say. Its a sipper for me but there's nothing wrong with that. Don't imagine it was designed for quaffing.

One of the most memorable beers I've had.

This brew combines my two favorite styles and delivers on both with a payload of flavor, body, and interest.

Pour: Black, thick, with a dark head. Yes!

Smell: Enormous, malty, and with some sweetness. Yes!!

Mouthfeel: Full, creamy, slick. Yes!!!

Taste: Huge helping of malts, boosted by a tremendous body and presented nicely with just the right combination of the flinty or grainy notes of dark malts and the balancing and body-fortifying effects of the oats. Perfect amount of carbonation carries this beer effectively on the palate. Flavors of chocolate, coffee, nuts, and an almost wine-like presence made this one incredible beer. YES!!!!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher now has a space in my top ten favorite beers, and it will become a regular in my purchases. I'm also pleased to be able to support an Ohio brewery.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance - poured a deep dark brown with a thick fomy brown head.
Smell - Rich chocolate, coffee oats and a bit of vanilla
Taste - The taste is of a heavy rich chocolate. Also getting some coffee and vanilla.The oats come out at the end very nice.
Mouthfeel - Full body beer smooth/creamy mouthfeel. good carbonation
Drinkability - A very good beer overall.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A/dark choclate like

S/ it smells like whiskey barrel some wood

T/ it taste like whiskey with a hint of vanilla and wood

M/ the whiskey taste stys in your mouth quite a while

D/ if you like whiskey you like this beer good imperial stout a winter warmer.

4.14/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle poured into a glass

A: A deep, dark black with a nice chocolate head

S: Sweet, dark chocolate, cinnamon, coffee, oatmeal

T: Pretty sweet, especially with the dark chocolate, but not too sweet. After the initial sweetness, there is some nice roasted malts, the oatmeal backbone and some other sweet and bitter flavors.

M: Very thick and creamy. Little carbonation. Goes down easy.

Overall: Excellent stout. This was my first offering from HF after a friend from the area suggested them. I definitely recommend this for anyone who wants a darker, heavier stout that's on the sweet side, but not too sweet. Definitely a sipping stout and I made it last.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Nearly jet black, opaque, chocolate milk colored head. Hearty aroma of chocolate, oats and roated malts. Huge flavors, like a liquid dessert. Chocolate, dark roasted malts, some coffee. Very sweet at first, but just enough hop bitterness catches up and ends up being well balanced. This brew has layers. Feel is silky smooth, full body, slightly dry finish. Good drinkability despite girth and high abv. Overall, a deliciously heavy beer with bold flavors that ends up just slightly too sweet for Imp Stout perfection.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

This was one hell of a Stout.

It poured like texas tea out of the bottle with a thin, mocha colored head. So black, Me thinks Hades himself has ever seen such a hue.

The aroma coincides with the taste, a truly layered, roasty, carmely, toffee-like, hoppy, explosion of flavors, centered with an ethanol bite that brings everything to a point.

Truly a REAL ALE, I actually opened it up, and recapped it after having it open for about 30 mins. 18 hrs later when I took the cap off expecting a flat stout, the cap rocketed off such a vigo as Ive never seen!

This beer would proudly tango any dairy laiden dessert, however can march into the world venison, and aged steak quite nicley. I would also thing certain cajun seafood dishes would meet their match with this guy.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark black with a creamy brown head.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, and a boozy aroma of dark fruits.

Taste: Dark chocolate and roasted coffee. The finish is slightly boozy with a lot of dark fruit flavor. Overall the beer is balanced a little towards the sweet side - although not so much as to be cloying.

Mouthfeel: Decadent, rich and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: An excellent imperial oatmeal stout. One of my favorite beers and one I go back to again and again.

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a thick brown with minimal to no head. Nice lacing along the glass.
S: Sweet licorice.
T: Upfront-dark fruit, Finish-roast. Somewhat more boozy than I would have thought for 9.4% abv.
M: Nice

This is my first Hoppin' Frog experience. There's nothing bad about this beer, but at the same time I don't find anything great about it.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

poured out black as night which was expected. The head had a brown lacing to it. Dark malts and coffee were right up front on the smell, with oat overtones coming through as it warmed. Coffee was in the taste too with a little bit of hops to even it out. Very good brew in my opinion with a heavy mouthfeel.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery