B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,737 |  Reviews: 1,036
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

L: Pours a deep brown to black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that laces the glass a lot on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, black malt, sweet oatmeal, caramel, and chocolate. Everything smells very balanced.
T: Like the nose, deep roasted malts followed by deep sweet caramel, chewy oatmeal, and rich chocolate. Really well done on this one.
M: Slightly chewy, smooth, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, I didn't even feel the alcohol, all of the flavors blended together and with that classic oatmeal stout mouthfeel, it was easy going down. Too bad I only had 1 bomber!

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Man is this stuff good!
It has a bit of a brown motor-oil look when it hits the side of the glass, but when it hits the bottom it's as black as night. Really thick looking with a moderate tan head.
Smells very chocolaty and coffee infused, but with a hint of sweetness.
This brew is like drinking liquid silk. Super smooth and chocolaty with just the right amount of sweetness and roasted nut flavors. The flavor finishes very clean and you can't help but want more immediately.
My 1/2 of this bottle was finished off before I knew it.
This has to be the smoothest textured beer I've ever had.
World class for sure!

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to HopDiggityDawg for this want.

A: Super black. Only about a quarter to a half finger dark mocha head that stays around for a while and leaves very nice lacing.

S: Big dark chocolate and roasted coffee. Molasses, a touch of anise, and traces of dark fruits. Very complex, and this hasn't even warmed yet.

T: Bittersweet dark chocolate upfront. Huge roasted coffee and dark fruits, nice hints of vanilla. Finishes with hints of oatmeal and a medium alcohol bite.

M: At the lighter side of Full bodied. Medium high carbonation. Smoky burnt notes linger in the mouth for ever. Slight creaminess.

O: Damn good RIS. Complex, lots of roastiness. Sipper for only 9.4% ABV. This should age pretty good.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

It pours a perfectly impassable, squid ink black. Two fat fingers of puffy hot chocolate brown head sink slowly to tannish froth. Sticky tiers of lacing striate the inside of the glass.

The aroma is an absolute refreshing breath of sweet, dried dark fruit, charred roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, anise, and dusky, earthy oatmeal. A muted intimation of hops falls before some hefty alcohol winds.

Upon sipping, with a clear emphasis in sipping, the roasted malt is thick and sweet with raisins and dates, as well as molasses and chocolate and brown sugar, along with an aptly burnt malt bite. Vanilla and a puff of soft smokiness precede an incorporated but sinewy flex of alcohol. A slowly clamping edge of hop bitterness aids the burnt grain in turning over a very crisp card. A vinous presence is dried by a long lingering clean stout finish. It delivers a lot of extreme goodness in a brassy and highly impressive fashion.

Full bodied, it's motor oil slinky and it leaves a dense yet cleansing impression on the palate when at last it deigns to flow on.

It's busy and complex, but it's also artfully blended into a thick, rich, ichorous brew. Sweet and bitter are glued fetchingly together with stripe of oaty happiness. It's the crisp mix that helps make the ABV a willing accomplice in the journey to fine drinkability and impending inebriation. Dark as night, it's a froggy delight, not to mention a croaking good time.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle of this from Dobbys in Palatine to compare to the barrel aged version I'll probably try tomorrow. I've actually had this beer 10+ times as it's my favorite 'readily available' ever. Also very surprised this is my first reviewed Hoppin' Frog brew. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a super dark black with a nice half finger dark tan head that looks soft and creamy. A decent cap and collar is left despite the alcohol but no lacing.
Smell- This has always been the weak part of B.O.R.I.S in-my-opinion. The hops are very prominent and very citrusy and very fresh. Not exactly what you expect from a Imperial Stout of any kind. A roasty background is noticeable as is some black licorice and a bit of ashy molasses (no sweetness though). They hold nothing to the hops though.
Taste- The smell is deceiving especially once you take a sip. It's not the hops aren't present, they just aren't anything like they smell. The beer starts very roasted with a almost bitter char that is pretty damned licoricy. Plenty of molasses and a lightly sweet bit of caramel show early as well as a bit of alcohol. I'm fairly sure this is a pretty fresh version because this is way hotter than other bottles I've had. A bit of dry charred cocoa and vanilla play off each other very well. The hops really do come into play though in the finish ass they add a bit of vibrant bitterness that is somewhere between citrus and grass.
Mouthfeel- Pretty thin but sort of acceptable in my book. The oatmeal isn't really dominant here in the feel as I think it would have more impact if the body was a bit more robust. I think it's hard to feel that slick creaminess in a thin beer.
Drinkability- Okay, I know that my review probably didn't sound like a ringing endorsement but I've had this beer so many times that I know it's good. I think I'm just picking out the faults. It's so tasty and so solid I appreciate every drop of this I've ever tasted. Great beer by a damn fine brewery. A must try.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer, I feel, was hard pressed to live up to the hype. I definitely enjoyed it, but when I see it's medals from the GABF and read the reviews... even the name means this beer's sights are aiming very high.

The beer pours a thick black - best comparison is used motor oil or day-old coffee. There is a very dark mocha head on it but it was short-lived.

Smelled of burnt malt, roasted coffee beans, and had some oaky, bready notes.

Tastes of sweet molasses, oak, and chocolate espresso beans. There is a huge amount of maltiness and decent hop bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not as thick and chewy as some oatmeal stouts, but definitely not thin either. There is medium heat on this beer too.

The high abv and richness of this beer make it hard to drink quickly. Nevertheless, I found it extremely enjoyable and look forward to drinking this again, preferably where I can split the bottle with a friend or two!

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

22oz bomber. no date found. poured into tulip. tasted in early april 2009

totally opaque! brown, 1-finger head fades to thin wisps, then mostly just a ring. lacing never sticks, always sliding back down after each sip.

very fruity aroma, with cherries and fresh figs. gentle caramel and molasses. touch of alcohol and phenols, almost boozy, yet not. some coffee and cocoa underneath. touch of grassy earthiness - hops? or roasted malt? whiffs of vanilla, especially in back.

taste: fruity character meets with light booziness, like dark rum. some caramel, some roasted malt, but a bit overtaken by the booze, with phenolic note to the vanilla. moderate bitterness also clashes with alcohol and phenols. coffee in the aftertaste.

lightly viscous, but has moments of watery thinness. acidity and astringency in the finish, which at least aren't overly affected by the phenols and alcohol. moderate carbonation doesn't contribute much.

wow... talk about overrated... or maybe it's just this batch. i remember this from a tasting a couple years back, and it definitely wasn't like this...

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

Got this one for Christmas...

A: Very dark with no head and a slight mocha colored ring around the edges that disappears quickly.

S: This smell phenomenal! This took me by surprise. I smell awesome oakiness and roastiness in the scent. Smells amazingly smooth and tasty.

T: Very surprising. I love the taste on this. Has a sweetness upfront followed by oaky oatmeal flavors that linger on my taste buds. Taste amazingly smooth! So close to perfect! Just a little againg would make this one perfect!

M: The carbonation on this is good. A little sloppy in the stickiness feeling, but not too bad.

D: This one goes down very easy. I might finish this entire bomber myself.

All in all, this brew was a pleasant surprise. I'm very happy I got to try this brew. This is an awesome example of a stout for people looking for the best of the genre that is easily attainable. Highly recommended!

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 750 ml bottle that has been in my frig for maybe 6 months.

Poured into my Stone glass. Got a big head if I really tried. Poured slowly into my friend's glass and got hardly any. The head was pretty dark brown with an absolute dark body.

Nose was charcoal and malty and chocolate.

Taste was one of the best balanced stouts I have had. It had chocolate, sweetness, bitterness(not much) and malt balance. Really easy to drink and the mouth feel was just right. This is a heavy bodied beer with medium carbonation. One of the best stouts I have tried.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery