B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,729 |  Reviews: 1,034
3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

What a peculiar stout. For someone who has been drinking a good deal of stouts lately BORIS completely colored out of the lines and changed the way I look at stout potential. The flavor is sharp as a knife and gets more and more pungent as the tasting goes on. Surprisingly, the sweetness of the oatmeal is not used to cut the alcohol which instead makes the flavor profile come off as a very harsh raisin. It looks just beautiful however, which was the most impressive part of this stout. Frankly this beer is better for just a tasting as the flavors tire out the palate towards the end making it not nearly as enjoyable as it was towards the start. BORIS is necessary to try due to the creativity displayed, and I am sure I will have it again no matter the finish.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

This bottle has been in my cellar since August, 2009. I'm pouring it into my Smuttynose Big Beer Series goblet.

Poured into the center of the glass, the beer produces a small brown head. The body is opaque and colored a dark shade of brown—it's nearly black. The foam is disappearing quickly, but a good sized ring around the edge remains. A slight hiss was heard when I opened the bottle, one not a forceful as a non-cellared beer, so I am not surprised the head isn't lasting long. Swirling leaves a film and some clinging foam on the walls of the glass.

A strong chocolately aroma comes off of this beer. I am also picking up some roasted malt scents.

The beer has a very good flavor. Chcocolate is strong, but isn't sweet. I wouldn't call it baker's chocolate though. Oatmeal can be tasted as well.; it provides a nice contrast to the chocolate malts. Bitterness is very mild and alcohol flavors are non-existent.

My lips feel sticky after consuming a portion of the beverage, but inside my mouth it doesn't leave too much of a film. Carbonation is very low after three years of aging, and it remains full-bodied (but without being thick).

I like this beer. I'm not blown away by it, but perhaps drinking it fresh would have produced a more favorable review. I don't regret aging it. Cellar experiments are always fun.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours black. Very black, with a brown head that dissipates quickly, but has some nice lacing.
Smells of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. The booze comes through a bit here.
Incredible smoothness from the oatmeal and low carbonation. Extremely rich and decadent. bitter and sweet flavors balance out nicely. Nice roasty chocolate taste. Slight alcohol warmth. Nice.

Fantastic RIS (though I'm not sure why this isn't categorized as American imperial stout) with an oatmeal addition. I'll be getting this one again next time I want something extremely thick and... crushing.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

2011 Vintage pours like used 5-W20, but in the best way possible. This is a rich, black beer with a mocha trace of a head. Thick and viscous with molasses legs. This bottle is going to last me all night!

Very complex nose almost port or marsala wne like. Bourbon, vanilla, tobacco, coffee, dry dark chocolate, anise... wow, everytime I put it to my nose I smell something new.

Intense is an understatement for the flavor if this.Sweet maltiness up front with hints of vanilla, dark fruit, and a balanced hop bitterness. Tobacco, charred oak, and bitter dark chocolate finish with a roasted peanut shell aftertaste. At 9.4%, the alcohol is remarkably hidden but then again the is over a year old as well.

Thick, viscous, full bodied, little carbonation, almost like a bordeaux with a hint of tongue tingling fizz..

Call me an amateur, or a band wagoner, or what have you but I simply cannot fault this beer. If I nicked it half a point anywhere, it would be just because I dont want to rate something all 5's, but if a beer exceeds all of my expectations, why doesnt it deserve all 5's? This one does. If you like BIG, rich, sipping beers that warm your soul, this is an absolute experience for you.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery