B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,737 |  Reviews: 1,036
2.91/5  rDev -31.2%

A: This beer pours velvet black. Even the head on this thing is dark! It's completely opaque, and the head is a thin dark brown. The head doesn't last long, and leaves only a ring with little foam bubble lily-pads.

S: I could smell it from my desk before even getting near it. It has a coffee smell. It smells like roasted nuts, and I get a bit of alcohol smell. It doesn't smell bad, so I'd put it about average.

T: Immediately I get a dark herbal and fruity flavor. Similar to figs and licorice. It has a lot of sweetness and has a roasted flavor but isn't bitter. There is definitely alcohol flavor in this one. It's not all that impressive, but there is some complexity to it. It probably just needs to age more before I drink it.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good, it has a decently smooth and sweet character to coat the mouth. The light bitterness hangs out for a bit but goes away quickly. One of the main detracting feelings can be attributed to alcohol burn.

O: Overall I thought it was an alright beer. I probably wouldn't get it again if looking for an oatmeal stout or a stout of any kind. After being aged it would probably be a lot nicer, but there are many beers out there that taste much better straight from the beer store, out of my fridge, and into a glass.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to CoastieSimon for sharing this brew with me. Discretely consumed out of plastic cups in Straub Park in downtown St. Petersburg.

A - It pours a oily crude brown-black hue, and is capped with an oxblood-mocha hued head. Legs are demonstrated upon the white lining of the Solo cup.

S - The nose is quite hoppy and bitter, with an undertone of coffee grinds, charred grain, and oatmeal(!?!). I must say that the degree to which you can specifically pick out oatmeal is pretty impressive; it is not merely a listed ingredient. As it airs out, raisin and general dark fruit is appreciable, along with anise and some burnt sugar.

T - The brew is quite big, giving full account of roasted grain, burnt sugar, charred coffee, vinous notes, anise, and, again, straight-up oatmeal. The booze is there too, but not so much that it is intrusive, it just adds to the general 'bigness' of the brew. There is a heavy hop dose, but it seems to meld with the burnt-coffee astringency at this point, and does not contribute flavor beyond a general grassy-herbal bitterness.

M - The feel is big, ultra-viscous, and has a long bitter finish. Too long and bitter, perhaps.

O - Good beer. This bottle was about 2 years old, so it may have reaped benefit from the time mellowing; then again, it could've lost a distinctive hoppy punch, just as likely.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to dontcostnuthin for sending this one my way. Review from notes.

A: Pours an inky/oily dark black. A one finger tan/mocha colored head forms on top, with decent retention and no lacing.

S: I immediately get the sweet oats. There is also some roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

T: Very roasty flavor with the oats coming through as well, but not as strong as the aroma indicated, and not as sweet either. Nice mixture of coffee, licorice, and a little bit of molasses.

M: Full bodied and on the thicker side, but very smooth. Has a bitter-sweet finish.

O: A solid RIS, but not my favorite. From what I have seen a bit pricey as well, even though I got this one in a BIF. If I found it for the right price I would certainly get it again though.

3.52/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

A:
Pours a deep, luscious black with a nearly two-finger cocoa colored head that quickly diminishes and leaves no lacing. This stout is as dark as they come.

S:
I'm fairly certain you could smell this from across the room. Very potent. Notes of oatmeal cookies, black coffee, slight cocoa and soy sauce are prominent. Further agitation brings forth a little heat. There's a subtle maraschino cherry sweetness underlying as well.

T:
This is a very nutty brew with loads of coffee on the backend. You catch some heat right before the swallow. Bitter aftertaste coincides with the aforementioned alcohol heat. Very warming, similar to hot cocoa on a cold, winter night. Boris tends to coat your throat and keeps going after the swallow.

M:
Smooth and thick with very low carbonation. Very velvety.

O:
A decent imperial that's worth a try. It's a tad bit too bitter to mark next to my favorites in this genre, but a worthy purchase nonetheless.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

I poured my Hoppin' Frog BORIS Oatmeal Stout into a tulip glass at about 55 degrees. It poured viscous and black with a nice brown head that receded quickly with nice lacing.

My initial nosing was all roasted malt but as I let it sit the hops came through with underlying subtle roasted coffee and cherry notes.

The taste is not overpowering at all and very balanced. It starts with the roasted malty sweetness with the subtle coffee and bittersweet chocolate and finishes very cleanly with a nice hoppy bitterness.

The mouthfeel is wonderfully heavy and viscous just like the pour indicated. It coats the mouth with a chewiness and mild carbonation I look for in an imperial stout.

Overall this is a very easy drinking and excellent example of an Imperial Stout. Those of you out there that enjoy your Imperial Stouts should not hesitate to try this brew. Enjoy!!!

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (no date) into a tulip glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1-finger mocha-colored creamy head that diminishes in a minute or two to a thin dusting and thick foam ring. The body is a deep black that has no traces of color even when held to light. Very little lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Deep coffee aromas dominate the nose. Roasted malts and dark chocolate help to round it out.

Roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee flavors all come together with none really dominating. A slight nuttiness and almost unnoticable alcohol warmth end each sip nicely.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation make this beer very drinkable considering the thickness. While still a sipper, it goes down smooth. It coats your mouth well but isn't really sticky.

The main attraction I have to this beer is the balance. All the flavors flow nicely together with nothing overpowering. Better head retention and lacing would have helped this beer, but the aromas, flavors, and mouthfeel make this beer outstanding.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

A: pours black as used motor oil. Head is a short lasted thin finger that barely leaves any lacing.
S: dark roasted malt. A swirl brings out a little cherry along with chocolate and coffee.
T: dark roasted nutty malt. A little alcohol burn, coffee and chocolate a light but easily noticed. There is a small amount of sweet maraschino cherry. Aftertaste is long and very roasty with some coffee bitterness.
M: thick like a RIS should be, as well as low carbonation.
O: I really like this stout, smooth yet robust flavor. Very good sippin stout.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whoa am I ready for the weekend!! Another great trade from excellent trader GraniteSkunk. Cheers!!

The basics: No idea on price and 9.4% ABV...Yeah Baby!!

Gorgeous lookin' beer. Pours a super thick, syrupy and opaque black. Huge, frothy, creamy dark tan head - two to three fingers - and never really dissipates. Lots of thick, sticky lacing. Sweet!!

Aromas are very rich and robust...and unique. I'm getting like a chocolate-chip pancake type of thing amoidst the roasted chocolate malt and huge oatmeal component. It's like a really sweet breakfast in a glass. The smell is so roasted and huge - it really smells like toasted pancakes or somethin'. Super cool and unique. Top notch on aroma.

Whoa man is this a robust beer. It's super creamy and delicious. This is a highly impressive beer. It's big...I mean REALLY big. It's goin' to be too big for many people. Very thick and chewy in the mouth. Alcohol is very forward and obvious, which is really the only drawback with this beer. The mouthfeel has to be tried to be understood. It's the creamiest beer I've ever had - it's like silk in your mouth, but with tons of chocolate and espresso. This is like Sofia Vergara - it's so smooth and round and really big all the way around...It's incredible. As far as flavor components - I get a lot of chocolate malt and espresso, as is to style. In the front, though, I'm getting stuff like Black Cherry juice, too. It's awesome. Maybe a hint of apricot nectar - all the stone fruits in there. The middle and finish are long and bitter in a good way. Superior effort from what I hope is a brewery I drink a lot from. Must find folks - definitely something to be had with BBQ and perhaps big, complicated burgers...

What I like most: Pretty much everything.

What I like least: The less than hidden alcohol notes in the flavor profile.

Verdict: Superior Imperial Stout - World Class and a must find.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Very dark stout. Little disappointed by the head. Dark lacing on the glass doesn't disappoint.

S - Molasses nose and roasted malty goodness. Nose mimics and prepares you for the taste. WYSIWYG.

T - Caramel / Molasses taste. Just the perfect amount of sweetness to go with the dark roasted malt. Just a hint of dark cherry /berry to go with espresso malt. Fantastic.

M - Right amount of body as a good porter should be. Maybe just a touch more carbonation would round out.

D - Very interesting and I could put down pint after pint.

O - Fantastic stout I will definitely be revisiting in the future. 9.4% alcohol by volume could have fooled me. Instead of a port for dessert give me B.O.R.I.S

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass, reviewed from notes taken earlier this week.

A- it's a stout, it's black, delivers as you would expect it to.

S- Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts are all present, but none really overpower the other, very nicely balanced in that regard.

T- Wow, the balance in the different flavors really shines through here. Coffee noticeable up front but that mellows out pretty quickly and gives way to a dark chocolate.

M- Nice body to it, minimal carbonation, easy to drink.

O- I was very impressed with this one, did a side-by-side with the barrel aged version, they were both good, but I may actually prefer this one.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz bottle poured into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip.

A - Pours out thick and black like oil, with a certain lustrous sheen to it. A 2-finger head slowly grows out of the darkness, slowly at first then ending with a flourish. The head here is seriously dark; think dark mocha creme bloom that can be seen on the top of a dark roast. Retention is moderate, lasting a minute or two, and the lacing as it leaves resembles a spiderweb.

S - Smell is deep and robust. There's light characters of anise, dark fruits, and sweet malts. There's some roast here but not much; I'm actually getting some more chocolate here. At the back-end there is some alcohol heat astringency.

T - Much like in the nose, the first thing I'm getting in the taste is the anise licorice. Next comes a slight roastiness, but it doesn't linger long at all and adds a bit of bitterness. The chocolate is bittersweet as well. The malts add a nice chewiness to it, while adding some sweetness. Not the most complex RIS I've had, but there's nothing wrong with it at all. The finish has a good amount of alcohol in it, which lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth and creamy and feel the strong malt bill gives this an excellent feel. Not too thin but not overly thick.

D - Drinkability is moderately high. A nice tasting RIS, but not incredibly complex. At $8.99 a bomber, I think I'd rather take a 4-pack of Old Rasputin over this, but I feel this has the better mouthfeel than Old Rasputin.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%

[Best served in a Snifter]

Poured a thick dark rich black with a very small (less than 1 finger) dark medium brown creamy head that was fully diminishing and had fair lacing.

The aroma hits you right off the bat with a strong tawny port alcohol scent followed by dark roasted cereal malts and a leathery yeast odor with hints of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, some dark fruitiness, oats and a touch of toffee.

It tasted mildly sweet with a note of toffee and dried fruit in the beginning then progressed into a nice bitter-sweet flavor with strong coffee and dark chocolate notes at the finish with the flavor lasting an average duration on the palate.

Mouthfeel was extremely full in body and a little syrupy yet rather creamy in texture with a nice soft carbonation.

Overall an awesome tasting Imperial Stout which has the flavors blending so well that the heavy alcohol odor barely shows itself in the taste.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

A. Nearly black in appearance with a brown head of about two fingers. Leaves minimal lacing.

S. Cream, vanilla, coffee, roasted malt, chocolate - everything you'd expect.

T. Plenty of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. I nice shot of lingering hop bitterness kicks in to clean things up. Sort of reminds me of Old Rasputin.

M. Creamy and thick with minimal carbonation.

O. My first Hoppin Frog - call me impressed. This is a big beer that still drinks easily given its ABV and size. Makes for a nice sipper on a cool spring evening. I wish I had access to this around here.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to bulletburke for this one.

Poured from a bomber into a Cigar City pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger dark brown head that has pretty good retention. Lacing is spotty...

S - Chocolate, coffee, roast, licorice, and a hint of alcohol...

T - Chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts. Ends with lingering sweet chocolate and licorice. Don't pick up any of the alcohol that came through in the taste. Abv is well hidden. Very tasty...

M - Nice viscous mouthfeel. Rich and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Very solid RIS. Would definitely be in my regular rotation if it was more available in my area. Hoppin' Frog brewed a winner here...

Cheers...

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into my Tulip glass. Deep depths of despair, with no light at the end of the tunnel. One finger stout golden brown head, which didn't lace all that well.

Smell is reminiscent of my favorite RIS The Abyss. Dark chocolate, licorice, dark roasted coffee, this nose has it all. A bit of booze. Right on the money!

Tastes like coffee with cocoa powder, and brown sugar. Not quite as good as the smell, but a solid RIS. It is similar to Old Rasputin from North Coast. I am not at all disappointed, but not really blown away either.

For the style the mouth is spot on. It is not watery, and the carbonation is nice and mellow.

All in all, a solid example of a Russian Imperial, however there really isn't much sweetness to call it an oatmeal stout. That really is why I gave it the score that I did. Maybe it should be called B.R.I.S. But isn't that the Jewish ceremony where a baby boy is circumcised?

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours brown and sits black with a moderate head. No retention and lite lacing.

S- not much of a smell. Subtle sweetness with darker fruits.

T- light heat with oatmeal sweetness and lighter dark fruit. Burnt roastyness and malt in the middle.

M- very smooth, almost flat.

O- maybe because i just had a nice serpent stout but this seemed a little lackluster. Hopefully the barrel aged is better

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black, a hard pour with some distance at the end coaxed a 2+ inch espresso brown foamy head that bubbled away a lot like blooming coffee grounds.

S: Tons of dark roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, oats, dark molasses, a little dark fruit, slight citrus hops in the background, a tiny bit of alcohol. Smells divine.

T: Wow, it definitely follows the nose! The firs thing to hit the palate is that coffee, chocolate, and licorice. I absolutely love the flavor the coffee imparts, it's not just bitter, but has a nice earthy taste. The citrus hops comes break through the background as it moves to middle. A lot of hoppy stouts use really bitter, leafy hops and that's a huge turn off for me. This is all citrus with just a little bitterness. The dark roasted malts and molasses round out more in the middle, though the coffee and chocolate still dominates. I try to avoid the cookie reference, but this does remind me of a heavily chocolaty oatmeal cookie due to just massive amounts of malt and the perfect balance of oats. The dark fruits and licorice seems to get pulled out of the background as it transitions to the finish, leading to a little bit of a blast of citrus hops giving just a touch of bitterness. The coffee just doesn't want to give up, it lingers on well past the finish. The finish does remind me a lot of an cappuccino with a lemon peel. Alcohol is extremely well hidden and is only ever evident occasionally in the finish or a big sip. Excellent.

M: Thick and chewy, though not the most viscous I've had, it's still pretty massive. Very smooth and creamy, it slides easily down the back of the throat. Coats every inch of the palate.

O: I had moderate expectations going into this, mainly due to the hoppy nature of this beer. I'm very glad to say this blew away my expectations. I know I don't dislike hops in Stouts, I just hadn't found a hoppy stout I liked yet, now I have. I just love the citrus hops in the background to balance things out and add a little depth, with the astringency kept to a minimum. There's absolutely none of the "chewying on grass root" finish in this I've grown to dislike in some hoppy stouts. If you like coffee, chocolate, and citrus, you'll love this beer.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Syrupy, fruity, dry, baker's chocolate RIS.
___

A: Opaque black body with a hint of dull ruby highlights that are only revealed when held to a light. A one finger creamy dark khaki head that quickly settles to a thin layer tops it off. '

S: This nose is all about the intersection between powdered baker's chocolate and sweet, overripe dark fruit, namely prune. Little hints of molasses, cinnamon spice, and roasted coffee are present, but most definitely in low relief. If hops are detectable, they are of the earthy variety and are not contributing much. Alcohol is there, but just as a edgy presence, not at all spirity.

T: Hops come through on the palate much stronger, meeting you up front on the tip of your tongue at first sip, tasting as a generic bittering rather than with personality. Cream, baker's chocolate, and dark fruit make up the body, together creating an effect that is firmly on the sweet side of the fence, almost syrupy. Hops and bitter burnt cocoa are always there waiting to tighten up the reigns however. Finish is shorter than average, on dry baker's chocolate and a slight off flavor.

M: Overall dry with some creamy meat and a grainy texture that sticks in the tongue even after the flavor is gone.

O: A solid effort and an enjoyable beer, but firmly in 'B List' territory.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from Bomber into my pint goblet - No best by date visible.

A: Poured so dark it would make a strong man turn on a night light,
One finger head that dissipated into a thin tan creamy lacing, moderate carbonation.

S: Deep roasted malts, bitter coffee ,slight vanilla.

T: Strong bitter coffee upfront, slight toffee and vanilla hints,slight hops, full body ,I'm really enjoying this - so many flavors crushing my taste buds however they are well balanced and blended , Hopping Frog did an outstanding job on this.

O: Overall B.O.R.I.S The Crusher isn't for the average beer drinker or the weak, It's depth of flavors open up nicely as it warms , Very solid RIS that I will be seeking out again.

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%

BORIS has a dark body that doesn't allow any light to travel through it. The head is a deep brown color, and it is at least two fingers tall. Retention and lacing are both pretty good.

The aroma has loads of chocolate, coffee, black malt, light roasted notes and malt sweetness.

I think I like how this one smells more than it tastes. Up front is a good dose of chocolate, with a moderate amount of coffee; the chocolate definitely dominates. Next comes a bit of black malt that mixes with a sweet, molasses or toffee flavor. A hint of dark fruit lurks underneath the malt base. The finish is where things go off course for me a little bit. A big American hop profile adds more bite or bitterness than flavor. The hops are followed by a huge alcohol warmth and a bit of a harsh alcohol flavor, which makes me less enthusiastic to take my next sip. The malt up front is so good, but it's always followed by that booze.

Although the heat and alcohol detract from how BORIS feels, it is still a full-bodied and creamy beer that feels pretty good.

Less booze and a little bit less hops and this one could rock. The malt base is pretty good. I'm guessing plenty of people love this the way it is, but it isn't quite there for me yet. Although BORIS is Certainly a pretty good beer.

No bottling date that I could find. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Dark, black body that looks foreboding. Thin, mocha head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Faint aromas overall. Sweet, dark fruit and a touch of chocolate. The alcohol is a little noticeable here as well.

Solid flavor mix of dark, roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark fruit, and a hint of coffee. Some notice, again, of the alcohol. But, a good blend of flavors overall.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout like this. Good offering.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

A-Pours a very dark black color with one and a half fingers of light brown head.

S-Dark chocolate with lots of dark fruits and some alcohol notes on the finish.

T-Deep dark chocolate and roasted notes with some vanilla and dark fruit on the finish.

M-I was hoping that as an Oatmeal Stout that the mouthfeel would be a little thicker on this one; it's not quite thick bodied but it's close with low carbonation and a slight warming alcohol finish.

D-This is a pretty good beer, but the alcohol is a little obvious for my taste. I might try this one again.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2. No apparent bottled on/best by date to be found.

A: Pours black with a dark ruby-like tinge around the edges. Two finger, extremely active bubbly head that fades away quickly with an immediate amount of decent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, licorice, cinnamon, sweet chocolate. More alcohol than I was expecting. Very earthy, some smoke.

T: Actually fairly bitter up front, the hops are certainly present. Coffee/espresso, fades to sweet malts. Something slightly medicinal and off-putting (phenolic?) mixed with some berry aromas. Strong alcohol presence at the back end with a nice roasty oatmeal finish.

M: Low carbonation, fairly thin, but syrupy and oh so sticky.

O: This was pretty lacking, but I had pretty high expectations - the basic flavors were there, but they didn't seem to work together so well, the negative flavors and alcohol burn detracted from them, and the mouthfeel was really pretty thin. By no means a bad beer, but nothing too special either.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Finally getting around to reviewing the regular version. Bottle courtesy of Eric in a recent trade.

A: The pour is viscous and black with a small brown head forming, which dies down to a thin ring.

S: Really intense aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt, and licorice. Some burnt sugar notes, hints of vanilla and molasses, and some coffee in the background. Just a little bit of alcohol in there as well.

T: Sweet caramel malts and molasses to go along with the sweetness of the licorice notes. Plenty of dark, roasted malts with a hint of char and burnt sugar, as well as a little bit of coffee and bitter hops.

M: Full in body with a smooth, medium level of carbonation.

O: Really solid and possibly even better than the barrel aged version.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to both betsona and mjmadden for this
22 oz bomber pour into a snifter

A- Black with a very small tan head.

S- Roasted malts, chocolate, hint of coffee and alcohol.

T- Sweet chocolate, some coffee, some hops in the finish that add a nice bitterness, hint of alcohol.

M- Full body, smooth, creamy.

O- This is a good stout and I am glad I have another bottle try, hopefully it has a head. I have to say this is not a complex stout but a nice sweeter/chocolaty stout.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery