B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,735 |  Reviews: 1,035
4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Chaney (again!) for this extra.
Poured to NB globe.

A: Black stout pours to gain no head, but vigorous stirring provides a minimal dark mocha film. Little visible indicators of carbonation. No translucency whatsoever.

S: Dark chocolate, nutty, lightly woody. Somewhat sweet with graham, dark toffee, oats,licorice. These all come together and remind me of almond rocha candy.

T: Dark, malty, cocoa nibs, slight bitterness. Fired graham, nuts, toffee. The flavors resonate for minutes after finish. A nearly milky flavor in here.

M: Heavy, low carbonation. Slicks the tongue. Good.

D: If this was sold around here, I would absolutely have a few around at all times. Very good beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

sampled this beer at a recent home brew club meeting (shouldn't we have been drinking home brew? we were using this beer and barrel aged boris to tell the difference between an ris and a barrel aged ris which is wour next group brew)

this beer pours pitch black with a thin tan head even though it was poured vigorously. the smell s of roasted malt, hint of chocolate and the abv is a little aparent in the nose. the taste is fairly similar to the smell, the roasted burnt malt character comes through nicely, but the abv is more apparent than would be expected for the style. even though the alcohol heat is apparent the beer is still very drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting!

A-black, thin tan head

S-strong dark roasted malts. a tad boozey smelling. smells like quite a serious stout!

T-comes in with really deep and strong roasted malts. there's a large booziness of coffee and chocolate malts much like many of the imperial stout that I've had. the oats don't really come in til the after-taste along with some chocolate notes. overall, its a good imperial stout though i don't know if it compares to many of the others that i've tasted

M-low carbonation with a fairly dry finish

D-this is definitely a sipper and its not my stout of choice. the tastes do stay well but a whole bomber of this is just too much.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

A: BORIS is viscous, pouring like motor oil into my goblet. It's ebony body blocks even the most stubborn light from penetrating. While the head is a beautiful mocha color, it is fleeting, falling within a few minutes to nothing.

S: Bouquet is upfront, and loaded with chocolate, dulce de leche, and coconut.

T: This beer presents a perfect balance between the sweet and the bitter. Milk chocolate, caramel, and creme brulee are balanced out by espresso, licorice, and a touch of hops.

M: The words "full body" don't even begin to describe this brew. It is chewy, savory, and satisfying. There is little carbonation in this beer, allowing the delicious flavors to linger on the pallet between sips.

D: This is a top notch RIS without following the herd. Truly unique, yet, recognizable as an RIS. This is a must have for any who can get their hands on it.

2.23/5  rDev -47.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a thick pitch black color. Some brown bubbles, but otherwise no head formation.

(S)- A rich roasted component with a rather potent nutty peanut character. Hints of molasses and raisin.

(T)- Same as the smell. A weird nutty peanut aspect completely dominates what seems to be some sweet raisin and molasses behind it.

(M)- A bit high of a carbonation level with an off-putting peanut flavor and smell.

(D)- Very disappointed with this one. The very off-putting peanut flavor could be the beginnings of an infection, but I cannot be sure. This must be a fluke, because this seems to get rave reviews, but I am not seeing it with what is in front of me. I will re-review to be sure in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

2007 rate.

22 oz. bottle. Pours deep brown with a nice caramel head. Great lacing with thousands of tiny bubbles clinging to the glass. Rich aroma of some kind of good coffee and bitter chocolate. An almost vinous note also, which I really love in a big stout. Flavor is heavy, some hops up front, dark fruits, that vinous touch, and creamy and lush in the finish. Very impressive, especially because this is not my favorite style by any stretch. The bottle becomes a little bit heavy and burdensome after time.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. Thanks to my sister-in-law from Ohio who brought this out on a visit earlier this month.

A-Pours a virtually black hue with a two finger head with decent retention and modest lacing. Head is a beautiful tan color like the type that accompanies a high quality espresso. This looks very promising.

S-Dark chocolate, roasted malts, booze, and a hint of licorice. Aroma is big, indicating a robust brew that may be able to crush me.

T-Chocolate goodness, dark sugar sweetness (like brown sugar or molasses), the warming taste of alcohol, and hints of licorice and coffees.

M-Medium to full body, but a tad astringent and dry. Very smooth, though not as luxuriant as the best RIS beers. Could use a bit more carbonation too.

D-This is a very good RIS, but not quite capable of sharing the accolades of the very finest of this great style. That said, I am disappointed this bomber is depleted and I can't buy this in Oregon

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pure walnut opaqueness dark as brown can get on the body without being black. This really nice borderline thick syrup pour also. Head is really tiny maybe a finger at most, but a great coffee espresso color looking head with tight bubbles. Leaves about 2mm collar throughout the glass for a good while. Minimal lacing.

Toasty oats and malt, with faint milk chocolate on the nose. Very nice smelling. This has to be the only Oatmeal Imperial stout beer I've whiffed that actually smells like it has oats in it. Love the bouquet feels like that malt shake is coming.

As for taste, big chocolate boom, and mild carbonation. Expansive feel in the back palate of an thick anisette aftertaste with a not to big alcohol heat but noticeable.

Pretty good mix of flavors and feel. I'd have again, another winner for drinkability from Hoppin' Frog.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

A - BORIS is a thick beer, dark, pretty much no head on it.

S - Smells like a thick coffee syrup, a hint of bitterness/bite on the end.

T - The first taste I got was a mild to strong coffee taste. The back end of this beer was a little burnt, oddly enough it tastes like burnt pretzels to me. Then the alcohol bite on the end.

M - Smooth like this beer should be, a little alcohol bite on the end.

D - This beer lives up to the hype: A big imperial stout that's dangerously drinkable. You can barely tell you're drinking a 9% ABV beer.

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance - pitch black, very litte head

Smell - malty, chocolate, coffee, oatmeal

Taste - dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Picked up some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - low to Medium... like my stouts to be a bit

Drinkability - decent, better then some, many Id prefer over it. I'd give it another try.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours a viscous pitch black with a three finger head of mocha. One of the tastier looking stouts in a somewhat bland category.

S - Roasty, yet sweet malts followed up by a little bit of chocolate and coffee.

T - A blast of roast to the tongue, it borders on harsh yet ends up clean. All the requisite flavors are here, chocolate and coffee are the more predominant but are also followed by dark and dried fruits and even a touch of marshmallow.

M - Creamy, smooth and wonderfully coating on the mouth. I see some people say this stout is thin and I am not sure where that comes from. It's not the thickest stuff ever, but it sure is no slouch!

D - I wasn't so impressed when I had this beer the first time around, but I drank it straight from the cellar this time and I believe the proper temperature makes this beer shine; I could chug it constantly...

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Cellar-aged version released by Hoppin' Frog. Had during Hobo Tasting #2 with mikesgroove. Served from bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Poured pitch black with a minimal brown head that subsided to no head to speak of slowly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, sweet malt, chocolate, and dark fruit. The flavor was of roasted malt, sweet malt, chocolate, dark fruit, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a complete transformation of the regular brew. It has been in my cellar for a little over a year and there is no clue how long it was in storage before I bought it, but this thing was nice. As Mike stated, the alcohol burn was completely gone which allowed the dark fruits to open up in all their beauty that I had never experienced on this brew before. Definitely became a more complex and tasty brew with time. This brew really shocked me. An absolute MUST try if you can find the version to save yourself some time, or you can just throw a few in your own cellar and wait. Trust me, it is worth it!

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a snifter

A - black with only the slightest hint of brownish red at the very bottom of the glass. Thin ring remained after the 1 finger head left due to pretty active carbonation. Nice oily lacing.

S - very rich chocolate and roasted malts but not as dark as it looks in smell. Not a bad thing, let's just hope it doesn't take a lot from the taste.

T - very nice dark chocolate and roasted malts, but not as heavily roasted as many stouts. Big espresso notes and licorice also noticeable.

M - it's an above average mouthfeel for an oatmeal stout. Not perfect, but damn good.

D - I had a new holland the poet earlier that tastes like sour, band-aid and copper penny so I thought this may be a bad luck day for stouts so I was tempted to go with a quad, but I saw Boris sitting as the first stout next to my quads and took it as a sign. Glad I did. Not the best, but this is worth picking up as a go to for when your tops aren't around. I'll be picking more of this up - definitely recommended.

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%

Stopped in at The Wine Seller in Williamsburg to find something nice for my 300th review. I'd been meaning to try B.O.R.I.S. for a while now, and figured this was the perfect time. It being 22 degrees outside didn't hurt, either! Poured into a snifter.

A - Dark brown coloration, very thin fizzy head which disappeared quickly. Laced in attractive layers.

S - Oh my, one of the most delicious aromas I've ever experienced. Sweet oatmeal, chocolate, and roasted malts. I just sat for a few moments taking it all in before sipping.

T - Initially quite boozy, but after the burn fades a cyclone of flavors hits the tongue. Very sweet, with nice toasty qualities and the perfect amount of bitterness. Complex, and yet not overly so.

M - Full bodied, nice carbonation level, dry finish.

D - Fantastic stout. Definitely worth seeking out. It took an hour or so to finish the 22oz bomber, and afterwards I felt like I'd eaten a four course meal, but I would definitely like to enjoy another sometime soon.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Poured a dark brown/almost black with a tan head. Nice appearance. Looks promising.

S: Smells of roasted malt, maybe a touch of licorice and chocolate

T/M: Enters the palate clean, roasty, velvety and chocolately. Initial taste and middle taste are good. It finishes a touch...burnt and bitter. Dissapointing end. However, knowing next drink will start of so well, its not a deal killer.

D: The bitter burnt flavor lingers much longer than it should. It was still there two glasses of water later. I know that that is part of the higher hopping rate at work, but its really not that much hoppier than Old Raspy. I wanted to love this beer and understand why others do. For me, its just not on the same level as other great RIS's.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Reviewed from notes 1/12/2011

A: chocolate, coffee, malts, oats, caramel

Ap: black with 1 finger mocha colored head, nice lacing

B/T: mild carbonation, smooth, creamy

Af: coffee, chocolate, toffee on the back end

O: very easy to drink

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Notes from 12/17/10.

Poured from a bomber, no head to speak of than the first bit from the aggressive pour. Black in color as to be expected. I am a bit disappointed in the appearance.

A lot of coffee and chocolate in the smell. Some malt creeps in for balance. The smell reminds me of baking...cookies maybe. I also detect some nuts in the scent.

Oh yes, wonderful taste. Loads of dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, oatmeal, and a slight bitterness. The sum is a very tasty brew. I really enjoy the coffee that lingers in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is excellent! Smooth, full, low carbonation, and enticing. This is soft and supple, exceptional.

I really enjoy drinking this one. It is a perfect blend for the rocky road cake treat dessert I will be tasting soon.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours pitch black. Thin head. Looks big and rich.

Smells of licorice, alcohol, roasty, and fruity. Very interesting and complex aroma.

Mellow flavor, dry and roasty. Coffee. Very dry with a big roast and medium coffee background. The sweet licorice and fruit aroma doesn't come through in the taste.

Very good and interesting beer. Not overwhelming in any sense. Its bigness is well hidden. Mellow and easy drinker.

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Pitch black in color; essentially no head aside from a few brown hued bubbles here and there. Chocolate malt dominates the aroma with some roasted malt as well. Aroma is a bit subdued and underwhelming. Plenty of chocolate in the flavor, accompanied by more roasted malts, coffee flavors and a nice bitterness. A lasting rich, dark-roasted coffee aftertaste. Sweet with a full, chewy mouthfeel. Tasty, definitely shows the full body and sweetness of an oatmeal stout with the flavor and complexity of an RIS. Just had a few shortcomings I couldn't overlook.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've had B.O.R.I.S. on numerous occasions. Bomber poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a vicious black w/ nice thick dark fluffy head and very sticky lacing. Great aromas going on! I'm picking up scents of chocolate, vanilla, roasted coffee, oats. There's a nice roastiness to it, a nuttiness as well. The flavors come through in the taste, wow. I'm picking up a slight amount of smoke. This is what I look for in an Imperial Stout, wow. Mouthfeel is exceptional as well. It's very thick, rich, and creamy. Almost like oil, but it all works due to the style. Drinkability is good, but there's no denying this is a heavy one; very chewy. It's not the easiest drinking beer, but it tastes so good, it's hard to stop.

One of my faves. I'm glad to see Ohio brewing some insane stouts. I'm always down for some B.O.R.I.S. Highly recommended! Go get this one right now..

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz poured into Glass

A- Black as night, slight tan head but barely anything at all, with a bit of lacing

S- First smell is chocolate with coffee malts, lots of dry roast smell in this

T- Almost same as smell, dark roasted malts with slight coffee oatmeal, little sweetness and bitterness, nothing to overbearing.

M-full body, low carbonation, silky smooth

T- Great beer, not like other imperial stouts, definitely will be having this again.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, probably around 6-8 months old. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours thick deep black with a one finger brown head that is very active for its short life (I can hear it hissing as I pour). Recedes to a wispy cap and ring in no time leaving almost no lacing.

Aroma is deep dark roasted malts, rich chocolate, premium coffee, dark fruits such as raisins, figs, plums and cherries, anise/licorice, a hint of smoke. Complex, good, but not great strength.

Flavor, however, is a huge blast of roasted malt, sweet chocolate, robust coffee, dark fruits, anise, oats, just a touch of hops and a bit of alcohol but nicely integrated. Somewhat sweet, some astringency from the heavy roasted malt bill, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy and velvety thanks to the oats, medium carbonation.

A fantastic Imperial Stout. Dunno why I waited so long to try this as I had a feeling I'd love it and I indeed do. Can't wait to crack open the barrel-aged version I have sitting in the cellar!

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

750mL (shared with Shelton/Howard)

A: Dark brown, near black. Modest, even tan head with soft bubbles. Sticky lacing down the glass.

S: chocolate malt, roasted coffee

T: starts with bready malt and semisweet chocolate, some slightly bitter/roasted coffee; floral hops and earthy tones round out the finish while holding onto the roasted character. I did not sense the oatmeal per se but that may have been the blend up front on this one

M: thick, full, chewy but drinks smooth. Finishes very clean/crisp for a big RIS. Settles heavy as it should. A meal in a bottle as they say

D: all around a very pleasant drinking experience. Leaves me feeling feel so this is one I would reserve for a night cap or as a dessert - not the brew to start of a night of activity.

Pours pitch black, minimal whisp of a brown head that doesn't last. Lacing makes a purdy design, kinda like an orange cross-section. Smells like chocolate up front, some vanilla and oak in the back, minimal coffee, slight anise, but mostly chocolate. Taste is more complex; sweet malt up front that quickly changes to chocolate and coffee with a nice bitterness that cuts the sweet. Dark stone fruits covered in chocolate, dates, and dark bread. Mouthfeel is spot on for me, not cloyingly sweet and thick, but just about right- it could be a tad thicker. Carbonation is small but plentiful and carries this beer wonderfully.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

130th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint

22oz.

App- It poured a big heavy brown viscous stout pour. No head on it.

Smell- Big flavors of the Oatmeal and malty. Even some chocolate in there. Smelled fairly sweet as well.

Taste- A big rich oatmeal malt flavor. Very very smooth. IT was very good.

Mouth- It's lighter than I would thought but that was okay. Creamy, and a touch of oily richness make it very appealing.

Drink- I'm all for this beer. I'm now super anxious to try the B.A. version for X-mas eve.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery