B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

#952

Ratings: 2,768 |  Reviews: 1,043

A: Dark and murky brown, with red hues. Tan head on top, good lacing.

S: Quite a bit of chocolate, but more roasted malt and oats.

T: Bitter chocolate up front, and a strong booze taste to go along with it. There is a faint taste of dark fruit, as well.

M: Very smooth due to the oats for sure, carbonation is not high, solid.

D: Simply good. The price of 9-10 dollars a bomber, however, is not justified, in my opinion. Much better RIS's out there.

3.36/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the mothman for sharing this one.

Pours a deep, dark brown, oily black with a mocha colored head.

Licroice, banana, roasted malts, oatmeal and sweetness. Very big and rich smelling beer.

Oatmeal and big roasted malts, very interesting for an RIS. Weird off taste in the finish though, an oxidized taste. Average for the style, I was expecting more out of this sought after beer.

Low carbonation, very thick and syrupy. This beer could be described as a "desert beer."

Good, but very thick and heavy with nothing to distinguish itself as a top representative of the category.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

A - pours beautiful rich dark almost cherry color, minimal rich head with little lacing and also hints of cherry color

S - smells rich, oatmeal-y and alcoholic

T - intense bitter malty flavors, coffee, oats, maybe even hints of rasberry

M - creamy creamy creamy delicious

D - with the high ABV i dont see myself needing to drink many of these, but am definitely capable of

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled at the 2010 Stout tasting in a Orval Chalice.

22oz bottle.

Mahogany black with a very light brown head, nose has a ton of oatmeal and malt.

Taste is very good (way better than the Dark Lord I just had)., It's rich and smoother and very mellow. It's super easy to drink for such a big RIS. It's light on the sweetness and really sharp. Awesome beer that's very well balanced.

3.49/5  rDev -17.5%

Had this recently at a tasting where we tasted it along side the BA version. I was excited to try this beer as I have heard a lot about it.
Pours a dark brown almost black color with a slight tan head. The aroma is the biggest let down. I didn't get a real strong aroma at all from it. The taste is quite flat as well in my opinion as there really isn't too much there. Dark roast malt. The mouthfeel is medium. The drinkability is fairly low for me. We had 4 guys splitting a bottle and no one really wanted to finish it off. One thing to say is that the abv is well hidden as it did not seem boozy to me.

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a 22 oz bottle into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Jet black with a nice chocolate head that died to a good lace.
S: Deceptively light, the aroma comes off as cranberries, banana-rum alcohol, hints of oatmeal, and milk chocolate coffee liqueur.
T: The taste starts off with a banana sweetness that quickly gives way to chocolate milk and cranberry-vodka alcohol with a lingering charred malt and alcohol. There is a familiar nuttiness that I can't quite pinpoint.
M: Moderately syrupy, but extremely creamy and frothy. There is an excellent "dessert beer" balance with this one.
D: This is not as drinkable as Rasputin, but it is pretty damn drinkable. I finished the 22 oz with no complaints.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Did a side by side with this and BA Boris.

Pours very little tan head that fades down fast. Leaves no lace. color is a solid black.

Aroma: Roasted, malts, chocolate, some light coffee. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Rich and chocolaty, roasted dry malt, sharp grassy hops, caramel, and then some dark fruit in the aftertaste. Better than the aroma, but nothing special.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and warm, a little creamy. Fuller bodied than the ba version with a low amount of carbonation. Ends sweet, dry, and malty.

Overall, not a very solid RIS imo. The barrel aging helps this beer a lot. This beer is not something I want a lot of. I would rather drink the BA version.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Got this as part of the Minnesota BA's Secret Santa. Yeah, I didn't deserve this.

A: Velvety black with a thin brown head and no active carbonation. Poured like a cola extract.

S: Very grainy, no hops. Heavy roast, but not as intense as I expected.

T: There is a certain toastiness to this more so than roastiness, it's very nice. Sort of a "diet" RIS, in a good way. Also, no chocolate.

M: Light (for a RIS) and smooth. Low carbonation (but not flat).

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark opaque black with a purple hue. No head though I poured hard, just a ring and lacing.

Smells like a chocolate malt, roasted marshmallows, vanilla, dark bittersweet chocolate, and candied cherries.

The taste is smokey and bittersweet with chocolate, cherry, and caramelized sugars. There is also an earthy flavor. Boozy, like Jack Daniel's and coke.

Thick and syrupy, a heavy dose of carbonation bites the tongue at first, the flavors stick to your tongue as it dries.

Just a little rough around the edges, along with a lot of big bold flavors slow down the consumption of this beer. A warming sipper.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to krisandajt for this trade offering.

Pure black in color with some nice creamy foam which is dark tan in color.

Cream, chocolate and oats fill the nose. Mouth watering.

Tons of malt, nice hop bite as well. Chocolate, some cream and cola as well. Solid, well rounded flavor.

Silky smooth full body. There is some prickly carbonation though too. Dry finish.

Drinks phenomenally. Great all around RIS. Recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

I cracked the BA version for St. Patty's Day with the family, so I figured I'd follow up with the regular the next night. I didn't review the other bottle, but I'm surprised to like this one almost as much if not more... 2009 poured into a tulip.

A - Dark creamy black with a thin brownish head. Good lacing.

S - I definitely get cherry in here - it is a rich dark chocolate without much bitterness at all, and just the smallest indication of alcohol.

T & M - This is a creamy, chocolate-cherry, dessert-like beer. Very well-balanced, albeit intense. I need to seek out more oatmeal stouts - I love how chewy it is. There is a nice warming finish, but the flavors do die out pretty quickly. For as creamy as it is at first, it almost finishes a bit watery if that is possible.

D - Dangerous. I had no trouble with this bomber and I could drink more, but I think I need a nap now...

This is a great beer. I am going to have to get some more soon! It is also worth noting that the BA version was very different. The whiskey was intense, which was tasty on its own accord, but this beer stands on its own without the barrel aged aspects.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

A - Thin but dense head the color of brown sugar. Nearly 100% opaque with just a tinge of light escaping along the edge of the glass.

S - Wonderful chocolate aroma similar to melted milk chocolate or a chocolate milkshake. Some subtle vanilla bean as, too. Not an outstanding nose, but pretty good.

T - More of the aroma, but with the tastes of cherries and some burnt character as well. Perhaps a very tiny amount of smoke.

M/D - Very thick oily mouthfeel that is a bit juicy, in the sense of the way a berry sort of explodes in your mouth after taking a bight. Great beer altogether!

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks goes out to one of my trade partners. They sent me this as an extra and I can't remember who it was.

Poured into my pint glass the beer looks like used motor oil out of the bottle. Thick black sludge with about a half a finger of dark mocha head. The head dissapates almost instantly leaving soapy lace.

The aroma is pure rich fudge cake. Some mild coffee along with roasted malt some through as well. It has a great sweetness about it that just makes it smell so delicious. A light hint of booze is noticeable as it warms.

The flavor is heavy on roast malt with mild chocolate and black coffee hints. The booze is rather strong in the flavor for sure.

Full thick and chewy body. Light carbonation.

Overall a real nice RIS. A touch hot in the flavor but not too off putting. Rather drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +4%

Bomber (thx milwaukeeclassic!) cellared for about 9 months, poured into my Delirium snifter, B.O.R.I.S is dark black garnet with a light brown head that leaves light, scattered lace.

Smell is roasted malt, toffee like, some coffee, a hint of butterscotch, a nice acidic bite to the dark malts, which sweetens as it warms from cellar temp, picking up some prune notes, perhaps a hint of lactose as well.

Taste is very nice, rich and flavorful, yet smooth. Nice roast, well tempered by the sweetness of the malts. I've had this once before, on draught, and this age version might be preferable, in spite of how enjoyable that first glass was. It's picked up some nice dark fruit notes with age, which is why I love cellared RIS.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. The oatmeal really shines here, silky smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability is very good, an awesome RIS that has developed well with some light cellar time, very smooth and satisfying. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Big thanks to kmurray8621 for sending me this bottle! Thanks Kevin.

Pours a deep black color with a brown sugar colored head. It looks like someone squeezed brown mousse on top of my beer. Thick and sticky, it leaves awesome lacing and has great retention.

The nose is nice and roasted, with a solid chocolate aroma to it. Can definitely tell this is an Imperial Oatmeal stout, as it has that distinct smell. Smells good.

Taste is smooth and creamy, with chocolate and lightly roasted malts, vanilla and molasses. I get a little bit of tart cherries in the background, which I'm not used to in an oatmeal stout, but it seems to work here. Great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a low carbonation and a nice drinkability.

Overall, a solid Imperial Oatmeal stout. Glad I got a chance to try this one...now I have an excuse to crack one of my multiple Barrel Aged BORIS!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a snifter. I aged this one for several months before sampling.

A - A deep, dark black with a moderate brown head that dissipates quickly.

S - Rich notes of chocolate, toffee, brown sugar and roasted marshmallows.

T - Flavorful but very balanced and well behaved. The roasted malts are there but they aren't dominant. They're joined by notes of molasses, chocolate and coffee. There's a hint of sweetness and a lingering bitterness.

M - Velvety and smooth. Thick yet soft and delicate. The carbonation is very mild and doesn't interfere at all.

D - This is a big, flavorful beer yet it's still quite easy to drink.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Bought this 22 ounce bomber in Manhattan, KS today. Was hoping to try the oak-aged version, but the price tag got the best of me. But hell, 7 bucks for this bomber was well worth it.

Appearance: As dark as a struck match. Only the most aggressive pour will reward you with a 1/2 finger head. The color of the head resembles the foam you get after quickly stirring up a glass of ovaltine.

Smell: You can go so many ways with this one. Besides the dark baker's chocolate, I'm getting brown banana, cherry, molasses, and a little bit of alcohol. Very nice interaction between the malt and hops.

Taste: I notice the malt sweetness as soon as it hits the front of my tounge. It stays sweet all the way through, picking up bitterness gradually. It's probably the hops, but I'd like to think I'm getting some bitterness from the dark cocoa that I'm smelling and tasting. I notice some cherry/dark fruit flavors when I breathe in slightly with the beer still on the back of my tounge. Also possibly a note of anise all the way through. The alcohol doesn't jump out until it's down your throat, as it begins to warm you up. Leaves you with a nice dark chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer is very smooth from start to finish. As expected, not much carbonation. Bordering on syrupy and aqueous, I wouldnt quite call this chewy; it's at a perfect mid-point.

Drinkability: This 22 ounce bottle is the perfect amount for me...I think. I could probably drink a couple if I had the time, and money, but I would rather not judge imperial stouts on drinkability. In my opinion, if you can drink a bottle (whatever size) of this style of beer without getting alcohol poisoning, it's drinkable.

4.14/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bomber into a Palm tulip, reviewed from my phone.

A-Jet black with very little head. The head that was there was off-white that leaves little lacing.

S-Chocolate and oats dominate the aroma. Much sweeter than other imperial oatmeal stouts I've had. Hints of fudge, caramel, and coffee as well. Barely noticing some dark fruit hints. Very balanced.

T-Follows the nose mostly here, but maybe not as balanced. Malt, caramel, and dark fruit take a far back seat to the oat and chocolate.

M-Thick and full bodied. Medium carb. Nice warming feeling on the way down. Leaves a nice oatmeal aftertaste.

D-High abv obviously makes it a sipper. Fairly smooth though, and could probably do two of these bombers on a Saturday night.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured to a 1 finger, bone white head. Color of the beer is black as night with very little carbonation. This is one THICK beer, I love it! Nice, dark fruit taste comes right out front with a beautiful malt sweetness. Great oatmeal smoothness with a slight caramel backend. I like how this took the sweeter route than the bitter route that some RIS' take. Definitely my favorite for the style.

~Jonathan Passow

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

Hoppin' Frog
B.o.r.i.s. the crusher
Imperial-Oatmeal stout
ABV 9.4%
IBU's 60

L= 5.0 Thin white dispersing head. This brew pours a beautiful oily dark brown black body with little carbonation to be seen

S= 4.0 Lots of dark ester, dark cherry, fig and it has a certain roasted sweetness as well. A light alcohol presence

T= 4.0 Dark cherry! Mmm lots of dark fruit and sweetness upfront the flows so smoothly to creamy chewy finish. Medium finishing bitters that seems to coat your mouth for a good while. Very nice beer

F= 4.5 really creamy feel. Very chewy beer.

D= 4.5 this is one of those really rare beers that you could drink everyday for your entire life and not get tired of it. Great beer and it holds a flame against some of the greats, but is shadowed by its big brother the bourbon barrel Boris which is a life beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Poured out of a bomber, the beer had a pitch black colour with little head on top.

S: Nice combo of burned malts and sweet oatmeal.

T: Very sweet cacao taste to the beer. I also detected some malts and roasted coffee flavor.

M: Extremely smooth for an imperial stout. Usually, with imperial stouts, there's some sort of aftertaste kick, but with this one, there isn't one.

D: Right now, it is about 30 degrees F outside and the beer has warmed me up very nicely. Great beer overall!

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Dark, opaque, thick pour. Minimal 1/2inch dark brown head. No light's getting through on this one.

S: Roasted malts, burnt oatmeal, and a hint of sweetness - cinnamon or nutmeg maybe? Nothing too overpowering in the nose.

T: Coffee, creamy chocolate & vanilla, roasted or burnt malts. Not as much oatmeal here as I would have expected. Almost like a latte.

M: Smooth and creamy. Goes down wonderfully.

D: Warming and smooth. Very nice beer on a cold winter night.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Hoppin' Frog's Boris the Crusher beer was all that it was said to be. But it was very expensive and very hard to find. I got lucky and found a store on Addison St. in the Wrigleyville Chicago area that carried it. The hunt was worth the time and the effort. Great Beer!

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

bomber in to a snifter
A: opaque black, thin tight brown head.

S: Chocolate, oat, alcohol, inviting, rich when you get deep in the glass it is not as aromatic as others,

T: lots of chocolate, coffee and rostyness, a hint of smoky goodness, there is a boozy taste that leads to a good warming finish, there it tastes of a higher abv beer.

M: great thick body, low carbonation, rich this one has amazing mouthfeel it does not get much better than this.

D: it is not as high as others i have had but is still up there.

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%

I split a bomber of this with my gentleman friend (is that the appropriate masculine version), CharlatanSin. While I normally seek out stouts which emphasize chocolate or coffee flavors, I was happy to give this oatmeal imperial stout a try.

This beer is attractive enough, but not anything special - very dark color; slight tan head which quickly dissipated; no lacing.

The smell had a nice roasted malt element, combined with coffee and chocolate. I was happy that those coffee and chocolate flavors definitely came out in the taste; I found the coffee to be a bit stronger, but the chocolate was definitely there. This is very smooth, luxurious-feeling beer, somewhere between silk and velvet.

I quite enjoyed this, and would definitely have it again; I found it to be a particularly good example of an imperial stout which has those rich coffee and chocolate flavors and scents, but presents them more subtly than would a specifically coffee or chocolate stout. It is an ideal dessert beer, rich and delicious.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher from Hoppin' Frog Brewery