B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,729 |  Reviews: 1,034

3.32/5  rDev -21.5%

first off let me say im not a big stout guy or coffee guy

but I checked it out

it pours a jet black, like black black
some brown head

the smell is like coffee mixed with a little oats and some faint chocolate

it tastes just like it smells

its smooth to drink

its a good beer, just not my favorite style

i would have it again though

the high abv really works for me with this beer

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Served from a 22 oz. bomber into an oversized pint glass.

Appears dark as night. Pure motor oil with a tiny bubbly ring around the outside cwouldnt even refer to it as a head.

Smells like chocolate and dark coffee with a bit of a medicinal quality too. A decent heaviness to it through the nose.

Tastes chocolatey and of coffee but I'm not getting too much oatmeal.

Mouthfeel isn't so pleasant. There's a residual aftertaste that leaves me less than thrilled.

Overall I was really let down. I had heard good things about this beer and I love the genre but this disappointed me. This is the second beer that I didn't enjoy by this brewer. Fearful ee just don't see eye to eye (or eye to liver).

3.36/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the mothman for sharing this one.

Pours a deep, dark brown, oily black with a mocha colored head.

Licroice, banana, roasted malts, oatmeal and sweetness. Very big and rich smelling beer.

Oatmeal and big roasted malts, very interesting for an RIS. Weird off taste in the finish though, an oxidized taste. Average for the style, I was expecting more out of this sought after beer.

Low carbonation, very thick and syrupy. This beer could be described as a "desert beer."

Good, but very thick and heavy with nothing to distinguish itself as a top representative of the category.

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

Served at cellar temp from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass.

Pours like oil, very heavy body and no head. Very aggressive final pour generates some coarse bubbles.

Aroma is sweet, with coffee and malt predominating, followed with some fruitiness and chocolate.

Flavor is heavy with oatmeal and coffee, a nice burnt whiff. No defects for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel is slick and mighty heavy. Lots of aftertaste filling the mouth, low bitterness for the style.

Drinkability is decent but there are so many better recipes out there. Oatmeal stouts don't lend well to being amped up. This one has no technical brewing defects, just doesn't taste that good. The nice burnt malt note and strong coffee are the redeeming features.

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%

BORIS pours pitch black with a little bit of head which recedes quickly. There is no lacing, but this is a pretty big beer, and I am not super surprised by the appearance. The aroma is very roasty with little else going on in the aroma. Not bad, actually pretty nice, just doesn't jump out at me. Taste is also very roasty with a bit of coco with a touch of hot alcohol. Not much, but enough to notice. I am also noticing a touch of sweetness which is a nice balance to the roasted barley. Mouthfeel is very good. Thick, but not overly so and it is very smooth. Good level of carbonation as well. Definitely the best part about this beer. Overall, this is a very nice beer that is well brewed, but is not anything outstanding. Definitely liked it though.

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Thanks to pieper for this '08 vintage bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours almost black capped with 2 fingers of dark brown foam with some reddish highlights. This settles into a creamy skim after a few minutes and leaves some decent lacing.

Smells like it will be a sweetish beer. Some black malt, but mostly chocolate chips, cherry, vanilla, maybe some raspberry and a hint of sherry. Very sweet and gentle, like a freshly baked chocolate torte.

Thankfully there proves to be some bitterness in the mouth, including a subtle hop presence I didn't pick up in the nose and a decent level of dark roasted malts. The flavor profile is strongly fruity and sweet overall, though, with lots of dark fruit, raisins and cherry along with sweet chocolate. Hints of sherry and leather. The sweetness limits drinkability a bit.

A full bodied brew with moderate carbonation, smooh mouthfeel with a lingering fruity/chocolate/alcohol combo.

Overall impression: Pretty enjoyable. I think it would be improved by replacing some of the chocolate malts with more of the burnt variety to counteract the sweetness and fruitiness a bit.

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours all black with a chocolate-brown head that almost instantly reduces to just a ring in my glass.

It has a light aroma of roasted malt and alcohol.

The taste is creamy and chocolaty, with big alcohol flavors that are overpowering the malt.

A very nice body, no doubt thanks to the oatmeal and high alcohol.

This is a decent RIS. There are better, and cheaper, Russian Imperial Stouts out there. Check out North Coast's Old Rasputin and Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout (that's only a winter release, though).

This is the third of three Hoppin' Frog beers I bought, seeing as they are new in Florida. My overall opinion is their beers are way overpriced.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

1.5 finger tan head, black body.

Nutty, woody nose.

Oaky body, surprising tartness and some coffee with milk chocolate and some hop tang.

Slightly foamy... okay.

A good imperial stout... some of that oatmeal.

Pretty all right, on the whole, but didn't live up to the hype.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

A: Jet black. Opaque, no light gets through this bad boy. Descent tan head that dissipates down into a thin ring around the glass. No real lacing to be found. I'd assume with an oatmeal stout, imperial or not, that I would get more head and lacing.

S: Pretty much what I find to be a standard RIS smell. Dark chocolate, some burnt sugar, dark fruit, but a pleasant oat smell once it warms up. Nothing to complain about here. Almost like an oatmeal cookie, a chocolate raisin oatmeal cookie.

T: Reminds me of kahlua. Dark chocolate, coffee, and some booze. I'd love to say I taste some oat in there but I'm getting too much booze. Wasn't there when it was cold, but now that it has warmed up I'm getting more booze.

M: Medium body, fairly viscous. Coats the tongue well.

D: This drinks very well for an Imperial Stout. Goes down smooth and has lots of good flavors.

Not my favorite but there is nothing bad about this beer really. I bought this while I was out of state and probably would save my money or buy something else if given the chance again. Not bad but doesn't stand out to me. Good beer but not great. Rather have a Stone IRS any day.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

Appearance:
This beer is dark, black with a rich chestnut head even though from a rough pour not much head is produced. Since the head is a little weak there's little retention and lacing to speak of.

Smell:
The first thing I picked up was a stinging alcohol presence which is a little surprising since generally speaking 9% is pretty easy to bury, especially in rich malts. Aside from the rough alcohol there's big scents of coffee and strawberry fruit snacks. Overall the scent has a good potency which has been missing in some recent beers I've had.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The coffee subsides in the flavor giving way to more of the candy cherry and strawberry notes. The malts come across in more of a bitter dark chocolate kind of way and there's a healthy dose of oatmeal which lends a substantial amount of viscosity to the beer. The alcohol has become a bit more subdued but it's still apparent as a brief astringent tinge towards the end of the drink. The finish is Ovaltine like and carries that flavor in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
This is a decent stout but it doesn't play well to my flavor preference for stouts (it's a little too dark and rich) and as such I'm not finding it very downable. I don't know, I just got done with my daily run an hour ago so maybe it's just not refreshing enough at the moment but either way I'm not feeling it.

Bottom Line:
Another pretty good beer from Hoppin' Frog, a brewery I'm coming to like more and more. If you're in to really rich stouts then this would be the one for you. I'm looking forward to revisiting this beer during the winter, perhaps an aged bottle as I feel this beer could benefit from some rounding of the rough edges.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery