B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,737 |  Reviews: 1,036
4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a near midnight black. Near oily in appearance. No head and essentially flat. Nose is slightly sulphuric with a nice wholesome breadiness.

Flavor is quite good. I thought I was going to be disappointed by this beer but was not. Coffee and oats. Some chocolate. Light spruce-ness to balance out the sweet. Body is a bit of a downer. I thought it'd be thicker after seeing it pour. A tad thinner than I thought it was going to be and what I was hoping for. Still a good beer altogether.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

A: um, did I just pour a beer into my glass or some Quaker State? Poured s-l-o-w-l-y like motor oil. No head what so ever.

S: smells yummy. Like oatmeal covered in chocolate. Sweet

T: tastes almost like it smelled. Sweet with hints of toasted chocolate malts and coffee. Alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming.

M: Feels thick and heavy yet smooth and silky. Light carbonation.

D: Surprisingly drinkable being over 9% abv. A very nice Oatmeal Stout. I'm sure it will be even better on a cold winter night.

Would drink again and recommend.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

I have a bottle or two delivered from Ohio every time friends come to visit. Hoppin' Frog does some pretty amazing stuff.

Appearance: Black as black could be with a small amount of coffee colored foam head. No light gets through this one.

Smell: If dark had a smell it would be this... Roasted malts, coffee and chocolates... with a hint of somethig else... After four bottles I still can't put my finger on it.

Taste: THIS IS STOUT! I know that goes without saying but is a near perfect example of the style in my opinion. Tastes just as it smells... notes of malt, dark coffee blends and rich dark chocolate... Not enough that it over powers the taste but enough that you know it is there

Mouthfeel: Smooth as silk. As dark and rich a flavor it has I find myself surprised at just how smooth it is. Thick creamy... yet glides around one's mouth like dancer on a stage.

Drinkability: Every time I have this beer I am shocked at just how quickly it disappears. I've been trying to cellar a bottle for the past six months but find my self drinking it when I've had run of bad stouts to redeem the style.

My dream: Bourbon aged version...

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pickd up @ Kahn's in Indianapolis while visiting my girlfriends mother.

Pours that good ol' black with a deep brown head that leaves quickly, but leaves a cool coating of bubbles on the glass after each sip. The aroma makes me think of blackened oats. with some burnt grapes and currents in the middle. With soe creamed coffee and a dash of alcohol. The taste starts with some coffee and oats up front. Lots of blackened fruits. Maybe even chocolate covered black cherries. Dark chocolate that would explain he bitterness with a little softened black licorice. The palate is pretty dark, yet warm and inviting mixed with some sweet bitterness.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle at 52 F. Poured a black color with an average creamy brown head that mostly lasted and produced good lacing. Moderate roasted chocolate aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture. Good complex roasted flavor with a medium burnt bittersweet finish of long duration. Good complex brew.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Onyx, ebony, obsidian, pitch, midnight... you get the picture. Ain't no accents in this bad boy, I don't care how bright your light source is. The mochachino colored cap started out creamy and is becoming even more so as it melts. Spider web-like lace graces the glass in fine fashion. What's not to love?

If you like your big stouts to smell like an explosion of black malt and hops, look no further than B.O.R.I.S. Aromas include bittersweet chocolate, espresso, licorice and a not-quite-citric hoppiness. German Northern Brewer were used for bittering and Liberty were used for flavor.

I have no doubt that this is going to be great beer because I've already tasted it... back in the fall of '06 when I visited Hoppin' Frog. Fred Karm was kind enough to show me around and to get us each a plastic cupful of B.O.R.I.S. straight from the tank. It was amazing at 34 degrees, so it should be even more incredible at 60. Incidently, my knowledge of the ingredients is from notes that I took that day after talking with Fred.

I'm a little let down (but only a little). This is unquestionably a good RIS, but it can't hold a candle to the best of style, which are some of the finest beers in all the world. More malt would help since it feels a bit thin relative to where it ought to be. That said, it's bursting with loads of 'black' flavor... from the black patent malt, no doubt.

The flavor profile includes dark chocolate fudge brownies, espresso, blackstrap molasses, licorice and a few shavings of citrus peel. Pretty similar to the nose, which isn't surprising. There's minimal char and no smoke. I can't believe I'm saying this, but fewer hops might have resulted in better beer. This should be a malt bomb all the way.

The mouthfeel just does manage to hang in there and earn the above score. It's plenty smooth, but needs to be creamier and chewier. The gentle carbonation is right about where it should be.

B.O.R.I.S. is a killer name for a Russian Imperial stout. Too bad the beer itself can't stand toe-to-toe with the greats. It's still worth a purchase and I will still buy a bomber or two whenever I make it back to the Buckeye State.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Extremely black; looks like dark coffee and the head is dark brown--looks like chocolate mousse; the head tries to dissipate but clings on relatively long for the style

S: Loads of roasted dark malts and oats--lots of oats; coffee, chocolate, and grains; a touch of a spicy quality as well

T: Lots of oats and dark roasted maltiness with subtle coffee bitterness and a touch of chocolate; chewy and bready

F: So thick, creamy, and chewy; this beer just sits on the tongue

D: Alcohol is well masked and though the bitter coffee and over the top oat maltiness can be somewhat cumbersone, this is still a damn drinkable and delicious brew

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage.

4.16/5: A winner with a year or two of age on it - moderately complex yet easygoing, but still featuring a substantial mouthfeel

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to dontcostnuthin for sending this one my way. Review from notes.

A: Pours an inky/oily dark black. A one finger tan/mocha colored head forms on top, with decent retention and no lacing.

S: I immediately get the sweet oats. There is also some roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

T: Very roasty flavor with the oats coming through as well, but not as strong as the aroma indicated, and not as sweet either. Nice mixture of coffee, licorice, and a little bit of molasses.

M: Full bodied and on the thicker side, but very smooth. Has a bitter-sweet finish.

O: A solid RIS, but not my favorite. From what I have seen a bit pricey as well, even though I got this one in a BIF. If I found it for the right price I would certainly get it again though.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Black with modest medium-brown head. Nice looking stout.

Smell: Chocolate,roast malts, and some brown sugar. The chocolate is prominent here.

Taste: The chocolate is prominent with some roasted malt notes. There is also a well integrated hop element.

Mouth-feel: fairly full-bodied with modest carbonation. The oatmeal is playing a significant role resulting in a creamy and full bodied beer.

Overall: My first time trying this one and I'm pleased. I would have no problem picking this one up again.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Complex, well balanced RIS. Would have liked it to be creamier in feel.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

This one has been pushed towards the back of the fridge (where it's been for about half a year) so I thought I would bust it out and review for my one year anniversary of being on beer advocate. Into a pint glass it pours pitch black with a small dark tan head. The head fades to almost nothing but it slightly there. No lacing to be found. The smell right off is really chocolatey followed by some roasted malts. There is also a small hint of coffee buried underneath as well. For the taste it's mainly chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee followed by alcohol. There is another underlying taste I can't quiet put my finger on, maybe it's the oats. A nice thick creamy mouthfeel. A bit higher ABV on this one which usually isn't noticeable to me but on this one it is though it still isn't a problem at least it's nice on this cold night. And I could do another bomber afterward if I had one. Overall it's really good. My first beer from Hoppin Frog and one of my favorite styles. I'll probably pick another bomber of this up sometime soon.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark black with very little head. Smell is a complex blend - chocolate covered cherrys (chocolate, cherry and cream), coffee, prune, raisin, vanilla, anise, smoke. Taste follows smell with a robust chocolate and fruity flavor (above mentioned cherry, prune, raisin). Background has vanilla, anise, herbal notes, hints of earth and wood. Nice resiny piney hop flavor in the back end. Slightly noticeable booze. Would have enjoyed a more robust malt presence, or tuned down fruit and herbalness. Full bodied yet smooth, oily and coating, warming, decent carbonation. Very good RIS which sits on the bold and assertive side of complex, some of the malt charachter does get lost in the shuffle.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Wife took me out for my bday to my fav place in the Lehigh Valley, Porter's Pub in Easton! I wanted to get something a little special to celebrate the big day and I thought a bottle of the Crusher would do nicely.

A: Pitch black color that light could not hoepe to penetrate with a thin head that departed a bit too quickly and didn't leave much lace.

S: Chocolate, oatmeal, dark fruit, and some espresso.

T: Bursts forth with a sweet, dark fruit laden chocolate flavor that introduces the dark roasted coffee elements by mid-palate. A bit of hoppy bitterness provided a decent balance at the end.

M: Full bodied and smooth, with moderate carbonation.

D: My first Hoppin' Frog brew and I was very pleased with the brew, a good bday choice. My only complaint is that it was a bit too sweet and lacked a good of balance with the hops. Still this was a rock solid brew and a yummmy RIS. If you're looking for something original try this one, but to be honest, there's probably better RIS's more easily available.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark opaque black with a purple hue. No head though I poured hard, just a ring and lacing.

Smells like a chocolate malt, roasted marshmallows, vanilla, dark bittersweet chocolate, and candied cherries.

The taste is smokey and bittersweet with chocolate, cherry, and caramelized sugars. There is also an earthy flavor. Boozy, like Jack Daniel's and coke.

Thick and syrupy, a heavy dose of carbonation bites the tongue at first, the flavors stick to your tongue as it dries.

Just a little rough around the edges, along with a lot of big bold flavors slow down the consumption of this beer. A warming sipper.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

When I opened it I opened it carefully and near the sink remembering the near disaster with The Dogfather. I had stout foam everywhere! Not so with this beer. The bottle opened with a weak pfft and nothing moved inside. After pouring it, it seemed to have a hard time generating a head and when it finally did (huffing and puffing the whole time), it sank back quicker than it had formed. When it briefly had a head, it was light brown to mocha in color and the beer is jet black and appears flat.

Smells like an RIS...toast and espresso, but you get a whiff of alcohol and chocolate, like Godiva liqueur, but not as smooth.

More of that chocolate comes out in the flavor backed by a roasted malt bitterness. This is sweeter than most RISs and that sweetness presents itself as molasses. I'm drinking it a little colder than I should, but I don't get the usual stout uber-bitterness that rears its ugly head when its temperature drops below 55 degrees. After warming up, the molasses goes to the background and the chocolate comes to the fore, but more in cocoa-like flavor with a little nice not-so-bitter finish. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is silky and full, which is better than silly and fulk. I have no idea what fulk might be, but it doesn't sound good. Anyway, the heat is barely detectable, but it is detectable. After warming up a bit it seems to get a little thinner and the alcohol recedes. Odd for an oatmeal stout. Drink this as close to room temperature as you're comfortable with.

Not sure how many of these I can pound down. After half a glass I'm making stupid Spoonerisms in my beer review and have a strong desire to visit Vietnam due to a show I'm watching on Travel Channel. Yeah, this is good beer, but I'm glad I don't have to drink another. I'd be on the roof yelling stuff at the neighbor about figs and getting shades on their second floor bathroom. Frankly, I looked at the word "roof" a few times and it looked funny to me. Could be a long night and a rough morning as I am now rooting around the beer fridge for something else. :)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

This bottle has been in my cellar since August, 2009. I'm pouring it into my Smuttynose Big Beer Series goblet.

Poured into the center of the glass, the beer produces a small brown head. The body is opaque and colored a dark shade of brown—it's nearly black. The foam is disappearing quickly, but a good sized ring around the edge remains. A slight hiss was heard when I opened the bottle, one not a forceful as a non-cellared beer, so I am not surprised the head isn't lasting long. Swirling leaves a film and some clinging foam on the walls of the glass.

A strong chocolately aroma comes off of this beer. I am also picking up some roasted malt scents.

The beer has a very good flavor. Chcocolate is strong, but isn't sweet. I wouldn't call it baker's chocolate though. Oatmeal can be tasted as well.; it provides a nice contrast to the chocolate malts. Bitterness is very mild and alcohol flavors are non-existent.

My lips feel sticky after consuming a portion of the beverage, but inside my mouth it doesn't leave too much of a film. Carbonation is very low after three years of aging, and it remains full-bodied (but without being thick).

I like this beer. I'm not blown away by it, but perhaps drinking it fresh would have produced a more favorable review. I don't regret aging it. Cellar experiments are always fun.

bottle courtesy of photomike

S: Chocolate, bananas briefly, more generic fruit sweetness as it warms

A: Dark brn w/purple tinge in the light. Minimal head

T: Same as smell but with oat and roast involved.

M: Fairly thick and very smooth

D: Very smooth and drinkable, despite sweetness and fairly high abv. Pretty tasty. Reminds me of Ten FIDY from oskar blues quite a bit.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber poured into tulip may,21,2011

A shes pretty dark right out of the bottle with some cola around the edges of the glass. It has one of the darker mocha heads I've seen recently but it falls fairly quickly and leaves just a few random patches of lace

S lots of bakers chocolate, some booze, raisin, and a little licorice and espresso

T what I smell but darker with some charred wood and even more espresso and super dark chocolate. A little more intense then the smell with just a little sweetness, the booze gets in the way just a little but for 9.4% its not to bad

M nothing to thick but far from thin with enough carbonation to give it some life and just a little booze burn, flavors linger very strong for quite some time

O pretty solid beer overall, something I wish I could get in my part of the world, tasty stuff

I'm pretty happy I got to finally try this one and I need to thank liamt07 for sending it my way

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter. It pours jet black with a thin tan head. The nose has coffee, anise and dark chocolate. The flavor is sweet and pleasantly bitter at the same time. Coffee and chocolate notes dominate, the finish is slightly bitter and it lingers. A full creamy mouthfeel makes this sipper very enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Decided to give this one a bid, although I have been very underwhelmed by Hoppin Frog in the past, especially at their price point. Still, maybe this one will be different.

Appearance- Pours thick and black. A very thin cap of rich dark mocha dissipates pretty quickly. No real head on this one, kind of disappointing. No lacing.

Smell- Strong roast coffee. Some nice rich chocolate as well. Definite some hops as well. Earthy and roasty.

Taste- Very nice and roasty, with some coffee bitterness, but not too much. Definitely some hops. It's got a nice nuttiness and sort of a coffee ice cream thing. There is some nice dark fruit hints. The chocolate sweetness really balances out the bitter coffee roast, making this a fine beer.

Mouthfeel- Very thick and creamy, a little still. Downright chewy.

Drinkability- No hint of the booze, and very nice and balanced. The mouthfeel gets a little tiresome, and it might be a tad sweet.

I actually really like this beer. I'm not a huge coffee person, so the chocolate is nice, and I like how it's balanced out. It may still be a tad pricier than I'd prefer, but it's a nice beverage and I'm glad to have it.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery