Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout
4.23/5

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

#887

Ratings: 2,749 |  Reviews: 1,038
4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

Got this bomber from beeronthebrain, cheers Khen!!

Pours black with 2 fingers of brown mocha head & a nice oily shimmery look. Average head retention & above average lacing

S: Rich chocolate, vanilla, toasty malt & a hint of bananas??

T: Dark fruits, baker's chocolate, & dryness up front. Roasty malt & rich chocolate take over as this warms, with a touch of coffee, a bit of nuttyness & some bananas (it's working for me!). Finishes dry, oaky, with vanilla, pecans & rich dark chocolate

MF: Medium bodied, slick, a touch over-carbonated, once warm this is no longer a detractor, smooths out nicely

Drinks through the roof for the style & ABV. I like this one a lot! Recommended

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a brackish, blackish body with no real head.

Smell: Rich dark, roasty malts nose with full notes of molasses, creosote, charred oats, and ground licorice root.

Taste: Dark maltiness with a dialed up licorice taste. Smokey creosote character. Only a mild sweetness. Oats coated in molasses. Mild, earthy bitterness. Finishes roasty with a touch of pine bark.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Mild carbonation. Somewhat oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Man, that's one yummy frog. Very drinkable, very tasty.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to dontcostnuthin for sending this one my way. Review from notes.

A: Pours an inky/oily dark black. A one finger tan/mocha colored head forms on top, with decent retention and no lacing.

S: I immediately get the sweet oats. There is also some roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

T: Very roasty flavor with the oats coming through as well, but not as strong as the aroma indicated, and not as sweet either. Nice mixture of coffee, licorice, and a little bit of molasses.

M: Full bodied and on the thicker side, but very smooth. Has a bitter-sweet finish.

O: A solid RIS, but not my favorite. From what I have seen a bit pricey as well, even though I got this one in a BIF. If I found it for the right price I would certainly get it again though.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Onyx, ebony, obsidian, pitch, midnight... you get the picture. Ain't no accents in this bad boy, I don't care how bright your light source is. The mochachino colored cap started out creamy and is becoming even more so as it melts. Spider web-like lace graces the glass in fine fashion. What's not to love?

If you like your big stouts to smell like an explosion of black malt and hops, look no further than B.O.R.I.S. Aromas include bittersweet chocolate, espresso, licorice and a not-quite-citric hoppiness. German Northern Brewer were used for bittering and Liberty were used for flavor.

I have no doubt that this is going to be great beer because I've already tasted it... back in the fall of '06 when I visited Hoppin' Frog. Fred Karm was kind enough to show me around and to get us each a plastic cupful of B.O.R.I.S. straight from the tank. It was amazing at 34 degrees, so it should be even more incredible at 60. Incidently, my knowledge of the ingredients is from notes that I took that day after talking with Fred.

I'm a little let down (but only a little). This is unquestionably a good RIS, but it can't hold a candle to the best of style, which are some of the finest beers in all the world. More malt would help since it feels a bit thin relative to where it ought to be. That said, it's bursting with loads of 'black' flavor... from the black patent malt, no doubt.

The flavor profile includes dark chocolate fudge brownies, espresso, blackstrap molasses, licorice and a few shavings of citrus peel. Pretty similar to the nose, which isn't surprising. There's minimal char and no smoke. I can't believe I'm saying this, but fewer hops might have resulted in better beer. This should be a malt bomb all the way.

The mouthfeel just does manage to hang in there and earn the above score. It's plenty smooth, but needs to be creamier and chewier. The gentle carbonation is right about where it should be.

B.O.R.I.S. is a killer name for a Russian Imperial stout. Too bad the beer itself can't stand toe-to-toe with the greats. It's still worth a purchase and I will still buy a bomber or two whenever I make it back to the Buckeye State.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

From 5/22/10 notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown with 2 inches of brown head and light carbonation,

s - Smells of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and vanilla. Very nice balance.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, bitter hops, and hints of alcohol.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

d - A very nice RIS. I thought the smell was great and taste was quite enjoyable as well. Would definitely have again.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured a thick black as night liquid with a huge cream colored head that just did not go down. Very milkshake looking in consistency and took a very long time to settle. I knew immediatly I was about to get my butt kicked by this one. Perfect looking stout. Smell was very sweet, with hints of milk and sugar intermixing with the big players which were coffee and chocolate. Hints of alcohol as well, which at 9.2%abv does not shock me in the least. Had a very dessert like look and smell to it, getting very excited to try this one. Taste was very thick, milkshake like consistency. Big creamy and very smooth going down, definatly made this a dessert beer. Taste again was very sweet, roasted coffee with milk and sugar. Flavors of caramel and chocolate, very rich. Slight warming from the alcohol, but not too bad at all. Very filling and just very very good all around, thats all that really needs to be said. Nice long lingering dry finish capped it off beautifully. This was really a treat and I would never turn it down anywhere at anytime. Really great and I hope to be able to try it again one day.

4.14/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

650 mL bottle poured into a CCB snifter. No bottle date. Silly breweries with no bottle date.

Appearance - Deep inky black body. Almost no head, but some mocha foam surfaces before dissipating into hardly anything.

Smell - Rich chocolate and coffee aroma. Sweet molasses and booze. Quite boozy, really.

Taste - Really chocolatey in the smell. Some coffee persists, but it's less intense than the chocolate. The coffee comes out in the bitter finish as the roasted malts really come out.

Mouthfeel - Excessively boozy. Really strange considering it's only 9.4%. Low carbonation with a nice body.

Overall - Nothing stands out as spectacular in this beer, but everything really works well together. Oatmeal gives it good body and the rich chocolate gives it a wonderful flavor, really despite the booze. I look forward to the variations on this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Brewdlyhooked13 for this trade, I shared a taste of this w/ carlos and his gf Rianna. Poured from the 22oz brown bottle into a goblet at cellar temp.

A - Thick black like pitch w/ a very thin tan head that is essentially a ring of lace atop the opaque dense ale.

S - A very full aroma of many malts w/ a boozy and fruity nose. The odors are coffee-like w/ plenty of plum and berry notes and subtle vanilla w/ creamy cocoa sweetness. The aroma also has a dry nutty edge w/ roasted coffee-like hints under the fruity instense sweet note.

M- Thick, almost viscous w/ very little bitterness and a deeply chocolate-like dry roastiness w/ a little booziness for good measure

T - Deep, dark chocolate like a fresh baked triple chocolate desert w/ bean essence and coffee accent in the taste. The flavor has an instense bittersweet cocoa and toffee taste w/ thick dark berry and raisiny sweetness. The flavor is not overly sweet though with the balance of the roasted and dry toasty elements playing counterpoint until the boozy finish

D - A great oatmeal Imperial Stout, just fantastic to sip. The strength is a bit limiting and I recommend savoring this for at 9.4% it is like a meal in a glass. The overall drinkability for me is excellent since there really aren't many beers that match the quality and layered maltiness in the oatmeal accented stout world. The booziness is expected, but subtle for the strength, A must try!

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Finally getting around to reviewing the regular version. Bottle courtesy of Eric in a recent trade.

A: The pour is viscous and black with a small brown head forming, which dies down to a thin ring.

S: Really intense aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt, and licorice. Some burnt sugar notes, hints of vanilla and molasses, and some coffee in the background. Just a little bit of alcohol in there as well.

T: Sweet caramel malts and molasses to go along with the sweetness of the licorice notes. Plenty of dark, roasted malts with a hint of char and burnt sugar, as well as a little bit of coffee and bitter hops.

M: Full in body with a smooth, medium level of carbonation.

O: Really solid and possibly even better than the barrel aged version.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Crush ME!!!! Damn that's a good Stout! Trying the Crusher Imperial Stout from Hoppin Frog after an evening of sled riding....Great beer to end the night with. The beer pour a oil black with very thin tan head that does not appear to be lacing in my chalice glass. The smell is a beautiful chocolate with hints of roast and espresso. The taste great balance of chocolate, roast, and booze. The mouthfeel is full bodied with smooth carbonation. Overall this is a great beer.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

A: The beer is black in body and dark brown at the crest when held to the light. There is very little head to begin with. What is there fizzes away immediately, leaving no lacing whatsoever. It resembles a cola.

S: Big chocolate presence, roasted malt

T: Again, a very large chocolate flavor. The body is medium-full. The beer has a nice taste, but overall, I find it to be a bit one dimensional. The oatmeal aspect is there, but I wish it had a larger role in the taste profile. There is a subtle roasted or burnt malt flavor near the finish. This brew has potential, but is just not quite there.

M: Carbonation is too low. Otherwise, the feel is pretty good.
Alcohol is disguised very well.

D: A good, but not great, beer. I really enjoy oatmeal and imperial stouts. I was hoping for a little more.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

I've been wating to try this bad boy for some time. It begins. The pour results in a thick, viscous tar pit filling my snifter, topped by a half-finger of dark brown foam, which sinks into the dinosaurs' abyss fairly quickly. The nose comprises dark coffee (complete with a light hint of olfactory bitterness), roasted and toasted malts, and charred wheat. Something seems off here, but I can't put my finger on it. Are the malts too blackened? I dunno, but it's something like that. The taste holds notes of dark chocolate syrup, coffee, blackened oats, and a slightly bitter aftertaste. A step above the nose, fer sure. The body is pretty thick 'n' chewy, but not too, with a moderate carbonation (higher than I expected, but, again, not too much so) and a decent oral coating. Overall, I see this as a solid stout, but not among the better ones. Still definitely worth a shot, though.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with a dark mocha head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing on the way down. Aroma of Coffee roast chocolate and brown sugar. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, dried fruit, a little alcohol. Has a roast bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste forever. The mouthfeel is oily yet creamy as hell. Thick syrupy body, light carbonation. This is a damn fine imperial oatmeal stout, I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

I picked this bottle up 2 years ago not knowing if it was the fresh release or a leftover. I guess that places this bottle in the 2008 range. There is no visible indication on the bottle to confirm.

Poured from a bomber into a snifter, this brew appears black in color with a faint amount of brown clarity around the edges when held to the light. A finger's worth of creamy dark tan head forms and holds for awhile before retreating to the edge of the glassware where it holds throughout the duration. Some faint spotty lace sticks and holds on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is dark and roasty with some signs of light oxidation. Licorice is present along with a solid oatmeal to grain characteristics. It is sweet with a scent of chocolate mixed with coffee and caramel, lightly citrusy with hops and a touch of dark fruity character almost like raisins.

The taste of this brew is bitter roasted grain with a flavoring of licorice coupled with semisweet chocolate. The chocolate flavor develops into something more in-line with a flavor that is left in your mouth after eating 75% cacao. There is some herbal bitterness which mixes and contrast with a dark fruity flavor like raisins. Throughout the body are flavors of oats and sweet grains keeping the bitterness and fruity alcohol elements of this brew in check.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. The 9+% alcohol is well integrated and as the brew warms maybe becomes a touch distracting. I almost forgot that I had this brew and a recent taste of the new Royale offering reminded me that I need to have a taste of the base brew. This is a pretty solid example but perhaps a bit dated at this point. For as much as I enjoyed the Royale version, it is my intension to get out there and snag a fresh bottle of Boris and the normal barrel aged version.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

For those of us who know the history of this brew, and know Fred Karm's original recipe for Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night realize how contract brewing in Frederick brewing keeping the brand alive can kill what the beer was all about. Now enters Hoppin' Frog and all is right in the world. Appears pitch black motor oil that absolutely absorbs every band of the visible light spectrum where everything fades to black. Head is a dark brown mocha hue, forms thick. With my first gulp of the brew head is left evenly all around my Southern Tier pint glass. Aromatics bring out deep roasted malts with coffee and dark chocolate and the oatmeal adds that layer of cereal grain softness to the mix, while herbal hops flow as well. Sweet decadent creamy burnt marshmallows with singe of alcohol tickling the ol' nares. Flavor a rolling wave of oatmeal and roasted malt sweet and roasted malt bitterness. Creamy sweet syrup added to a bowl of plain oatmeal, with cocoa powder and flame roasted marshmallow added to the mix that's what this beer tastes like. After your first few sips you think where's the hops because in flavor only minimal herbal balancing hop flavor survives the malt trip, but by the third or fourth sip the hop burps arrive and you realize where those sixty international bitterness units are hiding. Huge yet perfectly balanced beer sweet and creamy yet roasty and hoppy, the ying and yang of all dark beers. Mouthfeel is huge creamy borderline custard at times, carbonation rolls sluggishly trying to move that high gravity around, you can tell when you watch the pour. It takes awhile for the head to form even after a vigorous pour. Drinkability is effortless even after 22oz I could have another glass. I learned this after having it on tap before it arrive in Pittsburgh. I made a beer run up to Boardman, OH to visit Ron Bush at his Diamond Bar where Boris was flowing. A couple glasses later had me owned by this brew, my second meeting with this fine brew came at Smokin' Joe's in the South Side after a Pirate's game, needles to say I tried to make this brew a session beer....I know I know...respect beer. By the way thanks to Valley Wine Cellar I can now by it in the city where I live for $7.99 a bottle, that's value.

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%