B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Reviews: 1,033 | Ratings: 2,723
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

I've actually been looking forward to trying this beer, having heard good things about it. Having said that, let's away...

A: It certainly rates in the looks department; it's a lovely dark brown, with a nice foamy chocolate head that holds up roughly two minutes before dissolving into the expected lace.

S: I dive in with my nose, and... success. I've got coffee. I've got milk chocolate. I've got citrus hops. And, I've got oatmeal. I'm praying right now that this lives up to its aroma.

T: I open my mouth, tilt the glass, and... oh yes, this is a good 'un. I taste the expected coffee, chocolate, orange, and oatmeal, but there's a hint, if not a reasonable suggestion, of pepper. Wasn't expecting that, but it works, kind of like the fourth ingredient in 'Chopped'. I'm so glad it stood up to the weight of expectation.

M: Okay, so I'm a big stout fan, sue me. No, don't. I'm going through a divorce, and finances are tough, though I manage successfully to keep beer in the budget. With ramen noodles. I digress. Medium-bodied, good carbonation, really nice on the palate, wonderful citrus finish.

O: I really like this beer. I picked up two in anticipation of liking it, as well as three other offerings from Hopping Frog. Looks like I chose wisely.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

what can you say about this beer? well except sit down when you drink it. it was a cold winter night in between whiffle ball innings, and me and a buddy decided to split this epic brew. smells of burnt marshmallows and roasty dark chocolate. can't wait to try the bourbon barrel.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: black, very dark with a one finger brown head that laces down the glass

S: roasted grains, roasted coffee, chocolate, some alcohol. very bold and refreshing.

T: mimics the aroma. very roasty. roasted grains, coffee, chocolates. the alcohol is noticable, but not overpowering. you can also taste some caramel and molasses.

MF: full bodied, moderate carbonation, very thick, creamy, and chewy.

Drinkability: the sticker on the bottle says its a GABF Gold Medal winner 2008 for Imperial Stouts. it certainly deserves the prize cause this beer is awesome.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours a viscous pitch black with a three finger head of mocha. One of the tastier looking stouts in a somewhat bland category.

S - Roasty, yet sweet malts followed up by a little bit of chocolate and coffee.

T - A blast of roast to the tongue, it borders on harsh yet ends up clean. All the requisite flavors are here, chocolate and coffee are the more predominant but are also followed by dark and dried fruits and even a touch of marshmallow.

M - Creamy, smooth and wonderfully coating on the mouth. I see some people say this stout is thin and I am not sure where that comes from. It's not the thickest stuff ever, but it sure is no slouch!

D - I wasn't so impressed when I had this beer the first time around, but I drank it straight from the cellar this time and I believe the proper temperature makes this beer shine; I could chug it constantly...

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

What a peculiar stout. For someone who has been drinking a good deal of stouts lately BORIS completely colored out of the lines and changed the way I look at stout potential. The flavor is sharp as a knife and gets more and more pungent as the tasting goes on. Surprisingly, the sweetness of the oatmeal is not used to cut the alcohol which instead makes the flavor profile come off as a very harsh raisin. It looks just beautiful however, which was the most impressive part of this stout. Frankly this beer is better for just a tasting as the flavors tire out the palate towards the end making it not nearly as enjoyable as it was towards the start. BORIS is necessary to try due to the creativity displayed, and I am sure I will have it again no matter the finish.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to Eric Bart for hooking me up.

Pitch black in appearance. Brown head dissipates quickly. Minimal brown lacing around the edges of my glass. Smells of wet camp fire, chocolate brownies, sweet dark fruits, a hint of maple syrup and roasted burnt malt. The taste is incredible! So much going on. Rich chocolate, raisins, sweet roast malt, and some bitter hops at the end. Mouth feel is thick and smooth then becomes sticky. Low carbonation. This RIS coats your teeth and your glass! Overall drinkability is great. Hardly detected the high ABV. A bomber to myself went down quite easily. Highly recommended!

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours opaque black with 2 cm of dark tan head that lasted a while. Aroma of roasted malt with a hint of cherries. Initial flavor includes chocolate, grains, and a hint of something sweet, maybe cherry. Flavor ends with some dryer components from the hops and oatmeal. Light carbonation, medium body, some lacing, and noted alcohol towards the end of the taste. High drinkability, very tasty, and have had it before and will continue to keep it in my stout rotation.

2.87/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours deep brown and thick, looks black in the glass. small tan head fades fast. pretty.

chocolate, licorice, raisin and a bit of booze. really sweet nose, fruity, almost cherry? I want some bitterness to balance this out, and I'm not getting it.

I am sad to say I expected more from this beer. It's just too sweet. Licorice, a tiny bt of coffee, some chocolate, booze, and again, that cherrylike sweetness. weird. 2.5. It's good up front, and then it starts to taste a bit like cough syrup.

Feel is good. Smooth, heavy and slick. Minimal carbonation.

Drinkability is not high for me.

I'll finish this, but I won't have another. For those who like cherry and licorice flavors, or like your RISes on the sweet end, this might be worth a try. For those who prefer roastier, more bitter RISes, find a beer-loving friend to taste this with if you simply must try it.

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours inky black with barely visible burgundy highlights. Looks viscous like syrup. Small head of light brown foam. Huge aroma that is mostly dark fruit – prunes, raisins, figs over a sweet chocolate maltiness. Flavor is outstanding. If you’re a fan of sweet stouts this is among the best – sweet robust chocolate malt with plenty of fruity esters with a dry bitter finish, lots of stuff going on here in the flavor department. It has a great slick mouthfeel that is back up by just the right amount of carbonation. If you’re a fan of huge tasting Russian imperial stouts then you are going to love this.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Black with a very thin brown head that fades real quick to noghintg.

S: Great unique aroma. Very rich. Coffee but mostly chocolate, but heavy vanilla with some cherries, plum and raisins.. Very sweet. Booziness creeps in with an oakiness and roasted malts.

T/M: Really smooth and heavy. Very little carbonation which works in this very rich beer. Starts off all chocolate for a while, developing into roasted malt, vanilla then comes in and mixes with cherries and rasins. Finsish is smoky and oaky and looong with the hop spiciness coming to the front. Big and fat and chewy though the slightest bit hot.

D: This is a huge fat and chewy beer meant to be sipped.

Ovr: I've been drinking a lot of oatmeal stouts recently, Devil Over a Barrel, and KBS, and this is right up there with all of those. Definitely heavier than all of them, and more full bodied. Great great great beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to Goliath for the chance to try this beer:

A - Pours an opaque black with a nice two finger mocha head that disipated quickly into a ring leaving a heavy lace.

S - Dark Fruits, some coffee, dark chocolate, and some roasted grain. A little bit of alcohol in the nose.

T - Definatie oatmeal and molassas, with some dark chocolate and a mild coffee and dark fruit finish. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming.

M - Chewy with a decent carbonation and a present alcohol burn.

D - Good Brew. Lots of oatmeal that makes the beer a tad bland, but is true to the style. Would love more of this beer.

3.89/5  rDev -8%

First time having BORIS, have heard great things.

A: Pours slow, black syrup of a body. Thin bubbly head fades after seconds to leave a thin ring on edge. Not tons of activity.

S: Rich chocolate with tons of grain aroma. Crisp and clean.

T/M: Smell carries over to the taste with a powerful oatmeal backbone. Tastes more like cooked oats than fluffy. Resinous mouthfeel with hints of dark fruits (chocolate covered berries). Big yeast flavor as it warms up, banana/fruity esters. Hint of booze afterwards.

O: This did not live up to the hype. It is incredibly delicious and spot on for style. I would still prefer a TenFidy which has the same flavors yet more potent or a Yeti that is on the same line as Boris just a bit more complex. Still I would recommend this stout and will be drinking more of Hopping Frog in the future.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A big thanks to stevemcqueenjr for this one.
This beer pours thick and pitch black with a one finger head that disappears quickly. The smell is one of this beers high points - Huge chocolate, malt and hints of alcohol. The taste is bitter chocolate and oatmeal with the alcohol being very upfront. I love the thick full bodied and silky mouthfeel. The alcohol comes out more as this beer warmed so im glad I didnt wait to start drinking this beer especially since its a bomber. Drinkability is good - the bomber was all I needed.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

This is the first review of an epic bundle trade with TheHoppiest. Midwest exchange for some of Boston's brews.

Black gold smells great. Sweet roasted malts (of course), rolled oats, warmth.

Taste and feels like . . . creamy, silky, warm, roasted barley and rolled oats, dark roasted coffee beans, bitter cocoa, alcohol. A bit sticky.

Note: Drink it paired with something. I drank the first half pint alone -the ph and carbonation take over the palate, mucking with the finish in particular. I drank the rest of the bomber with a well paired appetizer . . . boom! This thing comes alive! Put hair on my chest.

4.11/5  rDev -2.8%

A - very black with no hints of light seeping through. There was a small 1cm head, but it disappeared quickly.

S - chocolate, nothing else. It was a pleasant chocolate smell, but it seemed one dimensional.

T - Chocolate (milk or semi-sweet) and oatmeal followed by a lingering bittersweet chocolate taste with a hint of hop bitterness.

M - good overall. It was above average for an RIS, but it wasn't perfect.

D - Good. It's not my favorite RIS, but I'll drink it. I wish it came in smaller bottles however. Putting down 22.9oz of a thick beer doesn't make the stomach feel so great.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

This beer is extremely dark. There is a big mocha colored head that left sticky lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet with a lot of chocolate. It smells a bit like a cappuccino. The taste is not as good as the aroma. It just doesn't taste "stout" enough. There is a bit of a Hershey Bar flavor, and some prune or plum like fruitiness. The mouthfeel is smooth, but thin and weak for a stout, much less an imperial stout. The drinkability is better than average. It is pretty strong too!

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

A- pour a dark, thick black. Small amounts of carbination with a lacing that disapears fast.
S- this smells great! Dark chocolate mixed with red fruits and not in a bad way. coffee and sweet malts. Small amount of alcohol but, like a desert wine.
T- chocolate and licorice, alomost a chocolate cherry, this may have turned a little but, this is great as is, red fruit and chocolate mixed togeather, a coffee finish
M-Smooth, full bodies with a nice silky fininish, There is alot of dark chocolate texture to this.

O- Not sure if it was suppose to have the red fruit element or not but, it was very good. Overall a very smooth beer that has a good amount of fruit characteristic for a stout

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured like printers ink into my pint glass. Two full fingers of fine foam that is almost purple. Clarity??? It's too dark to tell if it's cloudy or not.

The aroma reminds me of caramel corn. Pleanty of brown sugar and raosted malt.

You could almost use a knife and fork to consume this beer, but it's easier to drink it from a glass. Chocolaty! Smokey! A perfect blend of sweet and bitter.

The mouthfeel is almost the best part of the ale. Full and velvety. Absolutely one of the best Imperial Oatmeat Stouts I have ever drank. Than you Hoppin' Frog.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black, one finger head quickly recedes to small bubbles.

S: Dark fruit, chocolate, bitter smell

T: Dark chocolate, espresso, a little heat, roasted malt with nice clean finish. A bit of bitterness lingers

M: Thick and waxy. Coats the whole mouth. Very nice

O: Well balanced. Quite drinkable. Bought two so we'll see how one does a few months down the road.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

A: Jet black. Opaque, no light gets through this bad boy. Descent tan head that dissipates down into a thin ring around the glass. No real lacing to be found. I'd assume with an oatmeal stout, imperial or not, that I would get more head and lacing.

S: Pretty much what I find to be a standard RIS smell. Dark chocolate, some burnt sugar, dark fruit, but a pleasant oat smell once it warms up. Nothing to complain about here. Almost like an oatmeal cookie, a chocolate raisin oatmeal cookie.

T: Reminds me of kahlua. Dark chocolate, coffee, and some booze. I'd love to say I taste some oat in there but I'm getting too much booze. Wasn't there when it was cold, but now that it has warmed up I'm getting more booze.

M: Medium body, fairly viscous. Coats the tongue well.

D: This drinks very well for an Imperial Stout. Goes down smooth and has lots of good flavors.

Not my favorite but there is nothing bad about this beer really. I bought this while I was out of state and probably would save my money or buy something else if given the chance again. Not bad but doesn't stand out to me. Good beer but not great. Rather have a Stone IRS any day.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance-Pours black into the snifter with that trademark RIS viscous, slick motor-oil consistency. A tiny bit of really dark brown head, no lacing to speak of either but it still has that classic RIS look.

Aroma-Some mild hopping upfront followed by an overload of dark maltiness; black molasses, chocolate and darkly roasted oats come to mind. Some alcohol on the nose as well.

Taste-Dark roasty malts reminiscent of the aforementioned oat character minlge with more of that black molasses quality upfront. Something of a licorice flavor as well. A mild kind of bitterness enters towards the end and finalizes the finish bitter.

Mouthfeel-Somewhat oily with a mild level of carbonation. Could be plusher with more of that viscous chewiness I like in my RISes.

Drinkability-Very drinkable, quite tasty.

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours an opaque black color topped with a thin and lacy brown head. From the head flows a deep dark chocolate and roasted coffee aroma. The viscous body with low carbonation is a velvety drink. It is sweet with tastes of coffee and chocolate. The sweetness and chocolate become emphasized in the finish which fades gracefully with just a touch of warming alcohol at the end.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

A big thank you to goryshkewych for this one!!

S = Roasted malt and dark chocolate with a faint hint of alcohol in the background.

T = Dark chocolate flavor upfront with a very nice roasted coffee flavor near the end. The finish was like eating dark chocolate expresso beans. The bitterness level was very low along with no harsh, burnt coffee taste. The alcohol was well hidden.

MF = Not overly thick, lightly carbonated, incredibly smooth and creamy.

Overall, I highly recommend this beer. Exceptionally easy to drink and one of the best that I've tried.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz Bomber, which I was surprised to find at a hole-in-the-wall liquor store.

Poured a pitch black with a think, dark brown head which laced extremely well.

The nose is dominated by chocolate, coffee and some roasted oatmeal.

I get malty and sweet chocolate right away laced with a mild but pleasant alcohol. The oats provide a pleasant base that really compliments the malts and the beer is very well done with a perfect balance of hops and sweet undertones.

Felt thick and earthy in the mouth, but it was pleasant to drink and my pint glass emptied rather quick.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bottle

Appearance - Deep Dark Rich Black color. Almost no light passes through the glass.

Smell - Chocolate, Coffee,

Taste... Malty,

Mouthfeel - Smooth and rich texture.

Overall - A very smooth and enjoyable beer. It doesn't have any spectacularly distinctive qualities, other than being a highly well balance and enjoyable beer. This is particularly true with respect to the mouthfeel of the beer. That is clearly the highlight.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery