B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by klewis on 11-10-2006

Ratings: 2,738 |  Reviews: 1,036

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Bomber into a 12 oz. Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance: Black as night with a thick and dark mocha-colored head, though with little retention and a few spots of lacing.

Smell: A lot going on here. Initial rich, dark caramel, molasses, dark berries, mildly charred brown sugar, rich coffee with cream, hot fudge, black magic marker. As it warms there's some vanilla with bright maraschino cherries, contrasted with the roasted malt aromas throughout. There's a lot going on here. Initially seemingly really sweet out of the fridge, but sipping on it long, for me, as far as a brew like this goes, is most interesting: seeing how it changes from temperature to temperature instead of drinking a brew like this at cellar temperature, which I used to do, or maybe a bit above that. The roasted characteristics and fierceness come through a lot more once it warms. This is one of the most nuanced of the style I've had in a while.

Taste: Hugely dark and roasted, but what I like at the beginning is the good amount of oatmeal creaminess balancing everything out, as long as a good amount of nuanced sweetness. A lot of brews like this need to be laid down, the heavy versions of the style, because they seem to be so overloaded with hops. I think this has been so well-received is from the already-balanced-and-nuanced state of things. Nothing outdoes itself here as far as all the elements. You have mild coffee, charred malts, chocolate, dark berries, mocha cream, nice earthiness, and lingering dark chocolate. But everything works with each other so nicely, providing a nice lingering subtle burst of hops to add some citrus and minor sourness, but the lingering balance of all the dark and charred flavors is what makes this so damn good, along with the oatmeal, which seems to be the creaminess and the binding agent of everything. I could be wrong about that, But I see this as a style more folks will be trying to brew in the future.

Mouthfeel: Ultra heavy-bodied with a fighting creaminess that cuts through the cloying nature, letting it become extremely coating, with a burst of even thicker carbonation, extremely concentrated, at the end.

Drinkability: This is pretty much a no-brainer if you see it. I imagine it could be laid down, but as I said before, I really don't think it has to be. A rich, balanced, bold, nuanced version of the style that's completely worth the time and effort to track down and sip. This is only my second Hoppin' Frog brew, but I'll be on the lookout for everything I can find from now on.

4.11/5  rDev -2.8%

Got in a trade with johnnnniee - many thanks! Poured from a 22oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. It was pitch black even against the light. Too dark to see any carb. Great lacing. It had a massive dark brown head that took forever to settle down into a light foam and thin collar.

The aroma was roasted and chocolate malts primarily. Along sweet malt and alcohol present. The alcohol aroma was a tad too strong so hurt the score slightly. Not sure of the age of this one so the alcohol might settle with more aging...or not. The taste was really good but again was impacted by the alcohol. This one seemed to be still hot. I know it's a high ABV and this style comes with alcohol taste usually but I've had several that have either settled with age or hide it a little better. It's still an outstanding beer but I prefer a little less hot. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy.

Overall, a really good beer that I highly recommend. Mine was a little hot so looking forward to getting another and aging for 6 months to try again. My first Hoppin' Frog but eager to try some more from them.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

A delicious, mellow, roasted treat. Not much of a head on the black brown opaque fluid. What there is is tight and firm, dark tan in color. Smell is roasty and sweet with malt and oats, chocolate and toasted coconut. A superb light banana like fruitiness. Taste is full of mocha and mild chocolate. Coffee bitterness fuses with roasted oats to form a rich luxurious bed for the sweeter flavors to play out. Caramel and burnt sugar flow gently underneath. That faint banana again. Finish is smooth and mellow with a firm hop bittering that moves into a delicious dark bready malt lingering. It keeps the coffee and oats on the palate. Feel is full and thick with a superb carbonation that keeps it lively on your tongue. A very easy going sipper. There is no trace of the alcohol and it goes down like a much lighter beer.

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Another beer delivered to me by JeffKrenner

A: Pitch black with one of the darkest beige’s hues I’ve ever seen in a head. It is minimal, I would have preferred something a bit bigger.

S: Oatmeal cookies, milk chocolate, carob, crème fresh, gingerbread and banana.

T: Starts off oily with super robust bitter black chocolate. Next comes an awesome blend of cascade hops, burnt butter, roasted peanuts and espresso. Really fresh flavors…almost like there’s some cilantro, coriander and jasmine inter mingling with these rambunctious imperial stout flavors. Finishes even oilier than it starter with delicious heavy roasted barley, chewy chocolate brownie and café mocha. Aftertaste has an interesting banana dimension that I caught in the aroma as well.

M: Full mouthfeel, slightly sticky with good carbonation.

D: I’m totally digging this brew. Really, really good. Massively complex with awesome dimension.

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. I've had this bottle for about two years at least, before I found it in a box recently. Beer pours pitch black with a finger of dark brown creamy head. Head dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing, to a thin collar of foam around the edges. Good amount of alcohol legs when swirled.

Nose is dark chocolate, cocoa, fudge, roasted malt, savory soy sauce, dark fruit.

Taking a sip, roasted malt, burnt sugar, dark chocolate, mellowing to sweeter fudge and cocoa. Some dark fruit sweetness mid tongue. Finishes with a salty and savory soy sauce along with the roasted malt and dark chocolate flavor, lingering for a bit on the tongue.

Full body, thick and creamy with moderate carbonation. Plenty of body and mouthfeel from being an oatmeal stout. Alcohol is non existent, making the beer really smooth and easy to drink right now.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into my Delirium tulip glass.
Pours a dark brown with a half inch head. This thing pours real thick.
Smell is roasty and rather strong with the alcohol. First off, I have to say that it's nice to see a "real" imperial stout. If you're going to call it a russian imperial stout, it better be close to 10% ABV or higher, and be thick on the mouthfeel. This beer accomplishes both.
This beer tastes huge. It reminds me of the Expediton Stout in mouthfeel. But is nowhere near the complexity of the Expedition Stout. This is a thick, creamy, smooth drinking oatmeal imperial stout. My only complaints are that the alcohol taste was too present in the mouth and it was not near complex enough to keep my attention through the entire bomber.
Kudos to Hoppin Frog for making a solid imperial stout and even more kudos for opening a brewery in my home state of Ohio. We still need a lot more. I'm going to keep my eye on this brewery. If the first lineup they release has an impy this strong, I can't wait to see what they do next.

3.77/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a very little head with little retention. I know most stouts aren't highly carbonated, but I'd like to see some lace. The color is beautifully dark. VERY DARK.

Smell is of some chocolate malts with a bit of licorice. There is a tiny bit of a black patent smell as well. However, it isn't strong or complex.

Taste is of big chocolate malts with some black patent to compliment. It seems decently straightforward. The oats add a little smoothness and help give a little bit of body to this huge ABV beer. There is a hint of caramel and burnt sugar with a touch of raisins. This beer REALLY comes together and smooths out as it warms.

It's hard to get a big body with this much ABV.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery