Bodacious Black & Tan | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: Black & Tan

Added by klewis on 11-11-2006

Reviews: 121 | Ratings: 172
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

So the black and tans I've had were made with Guinness or some porter and Bass Ale. The clear distinction between the two made this beer stand out. Now the mixing of the two is interesting, but I still like the separate levels with black on top and tan down below. Oh well....

Pours a dark ruby almost black topped with a nice, medium-dense, off-tan head.

Yup, quite a blend of IPA and Stout here in the aroma. Dark malts and chocolate, some coffee and toffee. Fights hard with the pine, wet grass aromas from the hops. This reminds me of a campfire in mid-summer roasting some s'mores...without the smoke.

And the taste follows the nose. Roasted malt and slightly burnt caramel are on one side and the pine, earth and some mild citrus are on the other in battle for flavor dominance. In the end, none of them win and the balance is quite nice.

Although, the strong bite at the finish pretty much wipes out any residual roasty malt-ness. Overall a very nice beer. Perhaps this is a black IPA?

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Bomber from Wegman's in Princeton in 2009 (catching up on ticking notes).

Dark brown in color with a medium brown creamy head and decent lacing.

Aroma of roast, coffee, and piney hops.

Flavor is chocolate, coffee, sweet and roasted malt, piney hops, and slight fruit.

Full body with a rather smooth palate and a nice long finish.

Probably the best pre-mixed black & tan I've had, but the mix is not really as good as the sum of its parts in my opinion. Still good though.

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

I finally am getting around to this review. I lost my notes from the first bottle I had, which was by far the best. I've since had this several more times. Listed as a Black and Tan, two threads Hoppin' to Heaven IPA, one thread B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout. 65 IBU's.

Appearance: Black, thick pour, with little head unless you do a fairly tall and vigorous pour. When done thusly, you get a one finger head of dark dark frothy chocolate and mahogany. Decent lace and a small ring of bubbles ring the beer all the way down.

Smell: Hops! Bold, fresh piney hops. Grassy and floral, the hops dominate the smell. There's a faint sweet maltiness married with light roasted coffee, but you have to work pretty hard for it. (With a less fresh version you get much more stout in the nose).

Taste: Bold, bitter hops prickle the tongue immediately. This is followed by a malty dryness and some nice roasted character. There's bitter chocolate and toasted bread notes.

Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated, smooth but prickly and bitter. Finishes very dry and you definitely can taste the alcohol.

Drinkability: I keep coming back to this one. It's never been the same as my first Black and Tan from eariler this year, but I think I've worked out why...

My first HF Black and Tan was bought at a local beer/wine shop and I have a large suspicion that this may have sat on the shelves for a decent amount of time (several months at least). I can't say for certain because HF does not date their bottles. But the first bomber I had was very dark and roasted - it tasted like a hoppy B.O.R.I.S. which was sublime.

My second tasting was a day after I bought some bottles direct from the brewery, so I knew they were fresh. That bottle was super hoppy, and I got very very little of the B.O.R.I.S. character.

This third bomber was also bought on the same day from the brewery, but I've held onto it for a month and a half to try and let the hops mellow a little. It's worked, but still wasn't long enough to return the beer to what I fell in love with.

Final notes: However you drink this, it's a great beer, and likely the best Black and Tan that's commercially brewed you'll ever find. If you like a super hoppy and bitter beer, drink it fresh and it's a perfect Black IPA flavor-wise. If you prefer to get more of the B.O.R.I.S. flavors, then age this beer a few months to mellow the hops enough that they don't quash all the wonderful stoutness. This is how I prefer this beer...

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 7.6% ABV, 87 O.G., 25 FG, 65 IBUs, No date.

Big thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing this surprisingly awesome brew!

A - Black but clear with ruby highlights and a dense tan head. Low retention but fantastic lace clinging to the glass.

S - Surprisingly awesome aroma of musty wood, cocoa, and a low hint of roasted malts. Reminds me of the smell of Ray's. Nice lower level of hoppiness with oats coming through in the back. I really, really enjoy the earthy aroma of this.

T - Interesting blend of dusty cocoa and bitter-sweet chocolate with earthy wood notes and smooth floral hops. Good flavor going on here.

M - This is incredibly smooth in the mouthfeel with a great silky texture and dry, lightly bitter finish. Fantastic!

D - A great blend! Very smooth and nice tasting with a great balance. I like this way more than I was expecting to and I'm sad to see the bottle empty.

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

Huge thanks to garbercury for this extra.

A: bottle into a tulip, dark chocolate brown, light mocha hued head spotty lace

S: this smells wonderful, solid citrus hops surrounded by chocolate and coffee, this surprised me how well all the aromas gel so well

T: light citrus bite up front that fades perfectly into a smooth roast malt with hints of coffee and chocolate lingering

M: medium somewhat creamy body, light carboantion, dry finish

D: I simply love this beer. I could drink this all day if given the chance. I may have to trade for a case of this.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Although this is my first black and tan, I expected it to be lighter in color. This 22 oz bomber was poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. It looks very much like a
stout, although it is 2/3 Hoppin to Heaven IPA and 1/3 BORIS the Crusher Stout (my favorite stout!). Maybe it looks more like a porter... not so thick so I can see some light getting into the corners of the glass. One finger head dissipates after a couple minutes, but leaves a beautiful lacing on the glass like an IPA would.

Nose - I am not excited after smelling this one. Intense hops, alcohol is there to the extreme, very little stout-like qualities in the smell.

Taste - After smelling this I wasn't excited, but the taste is another story. I don't know much about hoppy beers, but this one must use some good hops, I can tell you that. Strikingly sweet bitter hops in the initial taste, but this quickly fades to mix with a chocolatey, oatmealey, roasted maltey, coffee-like deliciousness that I HAVE experienced before... Yep, tastes just like BORIS after the swallow. The combination was shockingly awesome.

Mouthfeel - Pungent and bitter at first (though not overpowering), with a creamy malty stout quality afterwards. Carbonation seems to be about medium. This one is very well balanced. I don't get the bitter finish that others describe. Maybe my bottle is a little old? Oh well, I like this one.

Drinkability - Great drinkability. I finished my 22 oz bomber in about an hour, and I was upset that I didn't have another. I would love to drink more than 1 in a night, but it gets to be pricey when you can only buy $8 bombers of it. This one hides the alcohol nicely and is a treat to drink. If you have not tried a black and tan brew, this IS THE ONE that you should try, hands down!

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Quite a nice black and tan, but then again, a black and tan is only as good as its base components, and both base beers for this one are excellent. The stout brings some nice roasty and chocolate flavors and the IPA brings some nice citrus fruitiness and sweet malt. Pours black with a nice initial head and some scant lacing. Smells dry and a tad dusty with cocoa and citrus peel. Nicely balanced flavors with the dry chocolate of the stout and the juicy citrus of the hops combining very nicely and creating a long, pleasant, bitter finish with a touch of rich but dry sweetness at the base. Bitter and dry in the mouth. Quite nice.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours up black with a bit of dark red around the edges when held to a lamp. Two-finger sand coloured head subsides to a quarter inch thick blanket in about 60 seconds.
Smell is a nice combination of resinous, moderately citrusy hops and roasted malts. I was unsure what to expect here, but the smell is quite tempting.
Starts out hoppy on the palate and slowly turns malty. Finishes dry and a bit stout like with the hops returning about 2 seconds after you swallow. Unusual, but well crafted and certainly interesting.
Mouthfeel is moderate being neither thin nor heavy in the mouth. Carbonation is a little tame, but not too much so. Drinks quite nicely for 7,6%.
As I mentioned earlier, I was unsure of what to expect with this one, but it turned out very nicely and I can see myself purchasing this again. At $9,99 / 22oz, however, it could be a little bit before I pick up another. Ten dollars is totally worth it, though, if you've never tried this.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Another new one from Hoppin Frog, seems I end up with new things from them every week a this rate. This one I had been waiting to try though. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/16/2010.

The pour was much bigger then I would have guessed. Deep and dark brown color with nearly no light shining though. This gave way to a smallish, but near permanent head of light tan lacing that really just seemed to do the job quite nicely. Settling down it coated the glass and left large sticky lacing all throughout. Really a classic look for a dark porter, but we will see where this goes.

Aroma is hoppy as heck. Deep citrus and pine hops lead the charge here. Crisp, clean and definitely very full. I was quite impressed with the way this one was starting off now. Warming allowed some nice touches of roasted malt and light cocoa to balance in. First sip though left no doubt in my mind as to the direction this one was going in. Rich hop notes dominate every ounce of flavor here. Piercing at times with pine and grapefruit taking turns with the destruction of my taste buds. Really just a great tasting ale here. Warming brought out some, and I stress some of the dark, more robust notes, but this maintained a very hoppy profile from the start.

Overall not at all what I was expecting and that was a very good thing. A fantastic, really, really interesting and different take on the style. Would love to try this one on tap.

3.26/5  rDev -15.5%

Interesting beer. Drank this one out of a bomber with a couple of soft pretzel sticks from the local bakery.

A - Wow, looks great. Much blacker than I expected with a big rocky head that leaves intricate lacing down the side of the glass. The bottle says this is 2/3 IPA and 1/3 Stout, but it looks all Stout.

S - Big upfront hops, along with alcohol, and what I think are both caramel malts and roasted grains. Maybe something a little sour in there too.

T - This tastes to me much more like an IPA than a stout. Even with the 2-1 ratio described above I thought the BORIS Oatmeal Stout was going to overpower the IPA but that's not the case. I can really taste the hops, but there's a funny clash between the bitterness of hops and the bitterness of the roasted grains in the stout. It has a long, acrid aftertaste that loses some points for me.

M - It's interesting. Creamy and rich. Feels good, but the aftertaste is not pleasant

D - It's pretty boozy and the finish is bothering me.

This isn't a bad beer by any stretch but it's not one I'd seek out again, especially for a $9 bomber.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle purchsed from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of citrus hopa and an interesting mix of pale and roasted malts, with the pale malts pulling out the surprising win. As the beer warms mild amounts of herbal hop aromas join in as well.

Tastes significantly different than how it smells. Smooth roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined shortly by good amounts of leafy and citrus hop flavors. Midway through the sip good amounts of dark chocolate flavors make an appearance before fading out to let the roasted malt and hops carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation - as it warms it thickens however it's not as smooth as BORIS.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have a few more with no problems.

Overall I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this beer, which is surprising because I enjoy both of the base beers. I was shown to be incorrect in my assumptions, the juxtaposition of flavors and aromas work very well. Worth a shot.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours into a nonic the darkest shade of brown, almost black. Huge frothy tan head that leaves gobs of lacing around the glass with good head retention.

Great hop aroma with some molasses and leather.

Getting the flavor components of the IPA and stout, but they just don't mesh really well. It's more of a roasty black IPA than anything. Still nice hop profile with the sweet and roasty malt. The aftertaste consists of the roasty stout. It's close to working, but just not quite there.

Medium bodied and feels good. Mildly rough carbonation, but pretty smooth.

Drinks pretty well. One of these would be enough for me. I really enjoy the attempt at this beer, but the flavor just doesn't mesh as well as I'd hoped. A unique beer that is worthy of a try.

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

A-Pours almost black with a thin mocha colored head that faded quickly and left little lacing.

S-Citrus/Pine hops at the forefront with some dark roasted malt in the back.

T-I'm getting roasted malt and some coffee up front with the citrus/pine hop combo providing a bitter finish. The aftertaste is all puckering piney hops. Very bitter aftertaste.

M-Feels like a porter. Medium body. Carb bite is a bit harsh. Dry finish.

D-The intense aftertaste makes this one a one and done.

This is not a bad beer, but, its just too expensive for what you get. If I pay 10 bucks for a bomber, it'd better be worth it. And this one (like all of HFs beers with the possible exception of BORIS) isn't.

HF is not a bad brewery at all, its just that their beers aren't worth the cost.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours pitch black and completely opaque. Topped with a loose and thin, tan head.
S- Roasty malts and slight hop aroma.
T- A caramel profile is later accentuated with coffee and chocolate. Bitterness is perceptible, but not prominent. It is surprising that this beer is touted at "66 2/3% India pale ale."
M- I'm not sure if this is an actual blend of two beers, or rather an amalgamation of the two styles to create a black and tan, but either way, this is surprising "light" beer. Well balanced, it does not leave the mouth with a malty coating or an astringent feeling.
D- Very drinkable. I wouldn't mind to get my hands on a case of this to share with friends.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked this up at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

Note: Two thirds Hoppin' to Heaven IPA and one third BORIS Imperial Stout.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger medium looking tan head with decent retention. Dark brown, almost black in color with some carbonation evident. Definitely more stout looking than pale ale. A think broken wisp remains leaving some decent lacing down the sides of the glass.

SMELL: Pale malts with some floral hops and citrus notes. Some roasted qualities as well with a touch of smokiness and pure chocolate notes. A nice blend of the two beers for sure, but just not bold enough for some reason to really make a statement. I don't know why, but it's not as bold as the other two beers on their own.

TASTE: This works out much better. Taste profile leans towards the IPA side with pale malts and some floral elements first. These flavors mesh well with some roasted malts and toffee sweetness too. Moves into some citrus hoppy flavors and ends with a bitter hop and roasted finish. Medium strength and long lasting aftertaste is slightly bitter with some citrus hops and a bit of roasted malts. Pretty nice really.

PALATE: Medium-full body with medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a slight bite at the end and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Nice feel.

OVERALL: A great blend of two great beers. This turned out much better than I'd expected. Looks more like a stout, but the nose and taste is more like a Black India Ale. One worth having again. Another great brew from Hoppin' Frog.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

I feel as if I'm doing this in slightly the wrong order. I'm drinking the black and tan, then BORIS and then the IPA. Oh well, this is the hand I was dealt.

67% IPA / 33% Stout

Beer is dark black and forms a thin brown head that is slightly broken, a few larger bubbles. Mild lacing left on the glass. Brown at the edges, beer is clear. Cannot determine carbonation levels due to color.

Sweet roast and only muted hops. I was expecting a lot more hop aroma since its mostly IPA, but the Stout wins on appearance and aroma.

There are some hops in the taste at least. There is a lot of roast in the back of the palate. Some sweetness up front and some hop flavors in the mid. Beer is a little low bodied, lower than I expected. Second taste, the hops are most obvious in the mid-palate region, lots of citrus flavored hops, not the pine variety. Overall, the beer is pretty drinkable.

This was my first review of a black and tan.

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%

Purchased on clearance at Brews Bros 6 pack shop in Mt. Lebanon, PA.

Poured into a Stanley Cup Champions 2009 Pint glass.

So I understand that this was supposed to have a bitter finish, and it does.

Dark tan head. Doesn't smell that great. Cannot taste the alcohol. A little citrusy, with some bitterness and fullness of a stout.

Maybe a little too much carbonation. Either that or I should have had some pepcid prior to drinking.

I won't buy again.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to corby112 for this interesting extra, poured into a dogfish head signature glass. The pour yields a black head with ruby edges and a thick foaming off-white head. As the head fades there is some bubbly sticky lacing on the glass.

The smell is a crazy blend of citrus hops, mostly sharp orange peels, and roasted malty oats and coffee.

The citrus hop characters hit the tongue first, with some orange peel, nectarine and a slight twang of pineapple. The bitter hops give way to roasted/almost burnt coffee malts, toffee, oats and chocolate. After all the stout characteristics there is an earthy/piney hop bitter finish.

The beer is well carbonated and the alcohol doesn't interfere with the flavors at all. This beer is awesome to drink, as you get the flavor profiles of both the ipa and the stout and they alternate throughout the taste.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - poured black with nice off white head

S - mostly maltyness, not the amount of hops I'd hoped for

T - This beer tastes like 33% IPA and 67%, the only problem is it the other way around, tastes like a weak stout with minor hops

M - low carbonation and a thinner taste than expected for the appearance

D - Not a bad brew just not what I expected, the drinkablity is the best part

4.09/5  rDev +6%

pours pitch black with a nice and fluffy tan head. aroma is mostly pine tree and pine needle smelling with a hint of coffee and caramel. when you drink it, its mostly stoutish, as is tastes very coffee like, roasty, full bodied and malty with a hint of hops. this stuff truly is a beautiful mix of a great IPA and a great stout.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%

A - One and a half fingers of tan head on top of a black body with good clarity and ruby highlights. The foam settles quickly and leaves a thin coat of lace on the glass.

S - An aroma of nutty, roasted malt balanced by equal amounts of citrus and pine hops. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted almonds, dates, grapefruit, and oranges.

T - Thick, sweet coffee malt and oats up front. Lots of caramel and toffee flavors in the middle that darken slowly towards the finish. Coffee and bittersweet chocolate in the finish with moderate pine hop flavors and ample malt and hop bitterness. Lingering smoke and espresso flavors with tobacco-like pine hops.

M - Thick, oily body, moderately low carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - I'm impressed, this may be the first black and tan that I have ever actually liked. The blend is well done with noticeable contributions from each beer. It is a testament to the obscene intensity of the stout that it dominates the flavor even though it is only 1/3 of the blend. Despite the stouts flavor dominance, the IPA makes a significant hop aroma contribution and adds a hop flavor backbone that was sadly lacking in the strait Imperial Stout. In the end, this really comes off as a weaker version of what I had hoped BORIS would be. The IPA dilutes the overwhelming, sticky malt soup of the stout and balances it with a hop character that not only makes it more drinkable but also works with the dark malts to add complexity, especially in the finish, that was simply not there before. If they brewed this as one beer, turned everything up about 20% and called it an Imperial Porter, it could be their best beer and it might even live up to the hype that BORIS has somehow generated.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

The aroma is both very hoppy and very toasted with chocolate, coffee, and molasses. The appearance is dark with a tan head and a few particles. The flavor is like the aroma with a nice toasted malt and bitter coffee finish. The palate is smooth and thick. Overall a nice take on the black and tan.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass

67% IPA / 33% Stout Concotion

A - Dark brown color that is very clean looking. Two finger brownish head which settles quickly around my glass leaving some light to moderate lacing

S - Interesting aroma of IPA and Stout with IPA being the clear leader in smell given its % in the beer. Nice complex element of flavors in the aroma much more than the traditional black and tan served at your local Irish establishment.

T - Tasty IPA hops up front which transitions to a nice roasted stout finish that is clean and crisp. Quite the roller coaster of taste here that is complex.

M - A thick pour but this is definitely a beer with moderate body that has a balance of sweetness and malt.

D - Very drinkable but somewhat filling with the combination of IPA and Stout. This would not be my first choice for a session beer but nevertheless a nice drinkable experiment.

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%

~ Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Shoreline Beverage in Huntington, NY. Pours black with a nice tan head that lingers around for a while. Aromas are of citrus, pine needles, and roasted malts. At 67% IPA, there is a good dose of hops up front. The stout flavors then kick in, and at only 33%, it seems to balance everything out quite effectively. Overall, Satisfying. ~

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bottle

67% IPA; 33% Stout - Sounds right up my alley!

A- Pours a dark brownish black color with a light tan head.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts with hints of coffee and some hops as well.

T- The taste like the aroma is mostly stout, with a good amount of roasted malts and coffee grinds. But unlike most stouts, the IPA really shines in the finish with a nice citrusy bitter finish from the hops.

M- The mouthfeel is between light an medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a pretty good beer that I enjoyed. I wish there were more these hybrid type beers out there, they are a nice twist.

Bodacious Black & Tan from Hoppin' Frog Brewery