Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 2,392 ratings

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,392 |  Reviews: 625

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

My impression of B.O.R.I.S without the barrel aging was summedup with two words - beer orgasm! I'm eager to go back to second helpings with the barrel aged version.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a MJ snifter.

A - This mocha head, that leaves quickly. But lots of tiny carbonation bubbles continue to crop up and cling to the sides of the glass. Still black hole dark, no light enters or leaves. Viscous in the glass, oily, but the wood aging seams to have thinned it a bit. Rated same as B.O.R.I.S.

A - First sniffs are of wood, a little sourness, vanilla, the whiskey comes through nicely, some roasted notes at the back edge. The wood aging has scrubbed out the luscious velvety aromas of the original beer, to the point that they dominate eveything else. I really liked the original, and miss some of those oatmeal RIS notes. Gonna have to knock it down one notch, because to me, the original should come through a little more than this.

T - First sip is bourbon, then a woody sourness. Roasted maltiness comes through a little later. Not quite as lush and velvety as the original. As it warms, you get some of the wood tannins coming through. Still wish there was more balance with the original, unaged beer. B.O.R.I.S. really wow-ed me. The barrel aging took some of the wonder off for me. Again, I'm going to knock it down a notch, because I'm looking for a little more balance.

M - still full and lush, viscous, oily, some tannins from the wood give it a little astrigency. Still very nice beer. But still gonna lower my rating from the original B.O.R.I.S. A lot of the chocolatey, velvety, whipped cream foam in the original has been stripped by the wood aging.

D - this is a cold winter night sipper by the fireside. If given as a gift or a trade, I keep it and lay it down for a year to see how it mellows. But from an economic standpoint, I'll pay $9 for B.O.R.I.S. and continue to be wow-ed, routinely, rather than spend the $19 for the barrel aged and miss the qualities of original that I really miss in this example. Still a great beer. If you get the chance, you must try it. Better yet, get them both and try them side by side. Both are remarkable beers.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery