Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Ratings: 2,389 |  Reviews: 625

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 yr + old bottle, opened in Jan 2013.

A - Pours with a great, fine bubbled, milk chocolate colored head. Low retention and lace. Thick, solid black body. Almost no highlights.

S - Boozy rasin-bran bread pudding. Silky smooth.

T - Delicious warm, dry, boozy chocolate. Porridge. Caramel flan sweetness. Dry coffee.

M - Stellar smoothness. Full body.

O - Great integration, great balance, great body.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Charred oak barrel black with no highlights whatsoever. No how, no way. The magnificent cap of foam is the color of a double chocolate fudge milkshake and looks to be as creamy and as thick. It melts in super-slow motion and is absolutely plastering the glass with lace. Yeah, but is it perfect? Yessiree.

If the aroma is any indication, Fred left B.O.R.I.S. in the whiskey barrels for precisely the right length of time. The roasted maltiness of the base RIS is easily appreciated alongside the beautiful burnt sugar and vanilla notes imparted by the barrels. This is shaping up to be one gobsmacker of a stout.

Regular B.O.R.I.S. needs a re-review in the worst way. I had a feeling that my experience on the day of that review wasn't what it should have been (because I was lucky enough to taste the beer right out of the tanks on a visit to the brewery). I say that because simply aging this beast in whiskey barrels couldn't have improved it this much. Even without the bourbon, it's a remarkable RIS. A bodacious one even.

The flavor profile can only be described as thunderous, thanks to what tastes like several metric tons of roasted and black malt. There aren't too many versions with this much dark chocolatiness. Other flavors include espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark caramel, vanilla beans and coconut. The flavor and bitterness of the hops gives it that edge that puts it over the top. Even more whiskey would have been welcome, but the beer is still amazing.

The mouthfeel was flirting with the next lowest score until the last few mouthfuls. Warming firms things up, smooths them out and adds a luscious creaminess akin to... well... heavy cream. Laid back bubbles are dead solid perfect.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. is Hoppin' Frog's best beer (and they brew some beauties). It has everything that I look for in a bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, and then some. Here's hoping that Mr. Karm releases it yearly. And that some kind Ohio BA will hook me up if I'm not able to make it back in time to clear out a few stores.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

After a long drive home I decided it was time to crack open a biggie that I have been dying to try, served chilled and poured into a darkness snifter, this one was consumed on 07/26/2009.

Appearance - The poor was black as night with a thin tan head on top. Not hanging around long it faded back into the abyss and left some light side glass lacing that webbed out decently.

Smell - Big aroma here. Lots of dark fruity notes which suprised me, but melted into rich vanilla and oak like notes that wrapped around a soild base of chocolate and coffee. Very well done.

Taste - Again huge here. There are loads of vanilla and oak notes that wash across the tongue first, filling the palate and really exploring the full spectrum of taste here. Chocolate and coffee move in but then the suprise, nice notes of plums maybe? Perhaps figs, where this fruit like note is coming from I am not sure but it is more then a welcome sight here and really serves to thicken the flavor. A long drawn out finish winds down with a light hint of vanilla and cocoa dacing on the tongue.

Feel - Big, but not too thick it is very well balanced. Despite the lack of the big head on it there is very good carbonation that works on all levels quite nicely.

Drinkabilty - Very nicely done again here. The ABV is deceptively smooth and none of the flavors overbearing. I literally thought it was outstanding to sip on and found myself indulging in a bit more then I thought during the course of the night.

Overall it was outstanding. One of the better barrel aged stouts I have had in a very long time. Why it took me soo long to get ahold of this one I have no idea but it was well worth it for sure. I would do this again any day, I may have a new favorite!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Review # 1600 - I picked this up for my birthday tasting a month ago or so at Al's of Hampden. Poured chilled into my goblet.

A deep black look, opaque and has a thin ring of beads for a cap, the head revives when swirled. There is no lace. The smell exemplifies all that I like about Boris plus a huge bourbon nose with lots of dark coffee and mild vanilla from the wood. There are hints of burnt caramel and coffee with a dark cocoa tannic element also. The rich body and creamy malt with concentrated sugar is balanced by the alcohol from the barrel and mild astringent grain accent. The mild carbonation is good with a slick sweet finish and full feeling, rich awesome texture.

This has a smoothness very few rival and the bourbon is full on/not shy at all, the cocoa from the roasted malt and mild coffee bitterness of the dark grain is very pleasing to my senses. There is a light vanilla quality with the sweetness of the bourbon and caramel that comes in and spreads across the palate. Each sip seems better than the last with mild hops adding dimension and the bitter coffee tinge seeming to blend effortlessly with the bourbon and cocoa flavors -a great taste indeed. I love this thanks to phnphilly for bringing me another bottle to enjoy this is a great Imperial Oatmeal stout and the barrel aging has improved it more than I thought possible.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

From 11/25/10 notes. Did a side by side tasting of BORIS, BA BORIS, and DORIS with my brother and dad. Served from a 22 oz. bottle, 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark black, with almost no head or carbonation. Showing much less head and carbonation than both BORIS and DORIS.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, and chocolate. I felt it had less chocolate in smell than BORIS and DORIS.

t - Tastes strongly of bourbon, and also some oak, vanilla, dark fruit, hops, and chocolate.

m - Full bodied and low carbonation. Smooth and a sipper for sure.

d - I thought this was a good RIS, but ranked third to me compared to the other two in the tasting. I felt it had a lot of characteristics in the the smell and taste that BORIS had, but that the bourbon really overpowered them and muted them a bit. While still enjoyable because I love bourbon, I didn't feel it was as balanced as BORIS. Would certainly have again and recommend, but wouldn't seek out considering BORIS is always on the shelves.

Original Score = 4 4 4 4 4
___
6/30/11 updated. Had a 2 year old bottle of BA BORIS side by side with BORIS, DORIS, and BORIS Royale on 06/25/11 and BA BORIS BLEW the other 3 out of the water. This beer with 2 years on it is amazing, and the bourbon really mellows a bit, making it a can't miss. My suggestion is get 2 or 3 bottles and forget about them in your cellar for 2 years.

Updated Score = 4 4.5 4.5 4 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove and opened up at Pliny the Younger release day (2/5/10).

A: The pour is a thick and black with no head to speak of.

S: A great nose on this beer. A fair amount of whiskey, but nice notes of vanilla, graham cracker, chocolate, roasted malt and molasses. All things I enjoy smelling in a -bal aged stout.

T: While the nose was quite good, the flavor is only "good". Milk chocolate and whiskey are the first two flavors I pick up, followed by some vanilla and char.

M: I really enjoyed the creamy, viscous texture this beer has on the tongue. While there's not much in carbonation, the beer avoids being too syrupy.

D: Certainly not a beer to sit down and drink a bomber of, but always an enjoyable experience, but perhaps a touch too sweet.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

650 mL bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet. Green cap. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Black, but not quite inky. Good mocha head but no retention. Some surface bubbles. I poured some into a pint glass for my dad and it has great retention. Huh.

Smell - Whiskey with some oak. Sweet chocolate malt. A lot of whiskey mostly, though.

Taste - Whiskey right up front. Chocolate malt all over. Less barrel but booze comes through. Very malty and chewy. Lots of oatmeal and a sweetness that recalls lactose, but probably isn't.

Mouthfeel - Chewy with a nice viscosity. Not really boozy, but it has a bite from the whiskey. Hot from the barrel, I guess.

Overall - Good, but too sweet for me. I'd like a bit more bitterness to balance it.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a GameWorks shaker pint glass.

Third bottle in our Hallowe'en mini-tasting. It pours a jet onyx topped by over a finger of light-ish brown foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, milk chocolate, oak, pumpernickel, and a slight bit o' whiskey. The taste has all of the aforementioned bits, along with molasses, vanilla, and caramelized brown sugar. The body is a light heavy, with a light carbonation and a farily chewy feel. Overall, a very good stout, decidedly better than the normal BORIS. It may just be strictly mental, but this was a mighty tasty offering, the highlight of the evening.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A gift from Fred Karm, a terrific guy and great brewer. Thanks! This beer appears black, with a slight brown hue near the crest when held up to the light. Nice head and lacing. This is a delicious beer. The oats work very well with the wood. The blending and melding of flavors is particularly well done. There is a slight warming alcohol note in the finish. The feel is creamy and smooth, yet crisp carbonation gives it a well-balanced and very enjoyable feel. I highly recommend this beer.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a solid black with a thinnish tan head that musters but then recedes. Smells of roast, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, light bourbon and oak with hints of dark fruit. The flavor is sweet with a roasty earthy edge. some chocolate but more roast and coffee coming through with a solid shot of bourbon flavor. Light vanilla and wood with a smattering of dark fruits to round it all out. Medium to thick body with a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. Wow this is a damn fine brew! The barrel thins the body a bit which I like because the regular version is thick and sticky. Very Nice brew.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bomber shared with friends and poured into a tulip. The brew appears black in color with a dark brown head. A swirl revives a finger worth of creamy froth that displays decent retention and produces spotty lace patterns on the glass.

The aroma is toasty and roasty with a scent of fresh oats and chocolate mingled with dark fruity alcohol notes. A bit of raw oak and a hint of spicy quality reminescent of raw oak.

The taste includes that previously mentioned raw oak, woody with roast and coffee. Some bitter chocolate and earthy grain blend in with some solvent alcohol that is a little fruity.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. A pleasant mixture of roasty and fruity character but with a raw barrel presence to mix things up. It is nice but for the price not something id revisit again anytime soon.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

I live probably 45 minutes to an hour from Akron Youngstown area, and this beer didn't make it's way to any of the usual good locals. Even Pittsburgh just started seeing this in limited quantities. I happened to stumble on the BA Boris while on vacation in Myrtle Beach at the Piggly Wiggly at Market Common.

Popped the cap and I was welcomed with a light wisp of carbonation escaping the 22 ounce bottle. The only difference on the label is the Barrel Aged (whiskey barrels) along with faint oak barrels stacked in the background. After a vigorous pour a minimal deep mocha tan head forms but dwindles rather quickly, body is as dark as any dark beer I've ever come across, pours like used motor oil. Lacing really grips onto my Allagash chalice with each sip fine evenly webbed patterns form on all sides of my glass. I guess I have to mention that this beer has legs, give it a swirl or two and you'll see it stick to the sides of your glass.

Aromatics offer the oak barrel effects including sharply charred oak, vanilla, and a light mist of bourbon. To be honest the smell has a very moist powdered chocolate doughnut edge with an air of booziness.

Flavor comes together but I still enjoy a regular B.O.R.I.S. than this barrel aged version any day, it's rare for me that the barrel enhances the standard beer. The biggest down fall of this beer was the price tag at $15.99, charred marshmallow with strong coffee and dark chocolate roasted malt character, a soft sweetness develops much mostly due to the oatmeal additions. Big whiskey and oak barrel finish adds to the complexity but doesn't take away from the base beer much at all in the flavor. A bit of booze and sour mash whiskey edges, with more charred vanilla oak ridden notes.

Mouthfeel is full bodied full roasted malt bitterness leaves a dryness but the backend brings on a searing edge of whiskey edge alcohol, carbonation levels are very moderate due to the oak aging mellowing out the CO2.

Drinkability overall is one of the most quaffable versions of an oak aged beer I've had, much more approachable than the Voodoo Black Magick. Some versions have killed me with booze this version was more complex and retained enough characteristics from the original beer to make it work well, I love this brewery and I can't wait to drink this year's offerings at the Steel City Big Pour. Last year they had the best of with their Silk Porter through run through a Randall full of espresso beans, they also ran their standard IPA through some hops.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery