Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Ratings: 2,391 |  Reviews: 625

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

White top ('12) 22oz poured into softball sized snifter.

Poured with the thinnest of brown heads on top of deep black. No carbonation or lacing. Just what I was expecting.

All kinds of dark fruit aroma: plums and raisins. Maybe some brownie batter. When I first popped this I overlooked the tremendous oatmeal character. Just like how ginger ale's a little better with a dash of bourbon... you know what I'm talking about, same here. It's subtle but it rounds everything out.

Depth is the keyword on the taste. Starts a touch sweet, finishes perfectly bitter + dry. I get a little mineral content at first and then it reminds of of walking into a bakery: vanilla, coffee, cocoa being melted, (candied) dark fruits, oatmeal cookies, etc. There's a few bba stouts I've had that take me to "that place." This is definitely one of them.

It really sits perfectly on the palate. Extremely silky and creamy, much more so the the std BORIS. Just a touch of drying booze as it goes down.

Absolutely an awesome beer with tons of character and depth. The price point makes this a "once in a while" beer, but I kind of appreciate that model versus something like BCBS being unavailable 90% of the time. If you're reading this on a phone standing in an aisle, go for it, it's worth the money.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery