Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 2,393 ratings

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,393 |  Reviews: 625

4.96/5  rDev +15.3%

Pardon my French but, holy shit is this good!

Arrives the color of a black hole at midnight during a new moon. No head at all.
Smell is amazing. Rich with malt, dark fruits, oak, whiskey, smoke. Probably the best balanced beer since Cigar City's oak aged Dirac.
Taste is great cold out of the tap but better once it has warmed 15-20 minutes. Notes of roasted malt, whiskey, dark fruits, smoke, oak. If you soaked a good fruitcake (yes, there are good ones!) in whiskey for a day it would be almost this good.
Full bodied, almost no carbonation. Smoothas a baby's butt. Rich as a rock star. One of the ten best beers I've ever had.

1.91/5  rDev -55.6%

Batch#4 2010 bottle - drinking it in 2013

Looks black
(appearance means nothing to me unless it looks gross)

Aroma is somewhat boozy. Roast, light chocolate, but more booze from the bourbon than the malt. A bit thin smelling.

Flavor is a hot mess. You get hit with cheap whiskey booze followed by over-roasted, charcoaled coffee beans bitterness. Alcohol burn lingers down my throat as if I'm drinking actual whiskey. Nasty char bitterness lingers as well. No oxidation mouthfeel so this is how this beer turns out aged. Some vanilla coating the tongue but overall this beer is nasty.

I haven't had this fresh, but if there's any proof that barrel-aged beers should be drunk fresh, this beer would be it. The regular BORIS is already such a wonderful robust stout, having this aged bottle leaves the impression to me that the barrel-aging ruins an already beautiful thing.

Also, this costs $18-$20 for a bomber.

(Disclaimer: my final rating does not reflect a fresh bottle nor what I truly think of the regular BORIS)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%