Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 2,392 ratings

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,392 |  Reviews: 625

4.47/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle 9,4% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
No bottle date.

Appearance: Boris appears thick and viscous during the pour (more so than I would usually expect from a sub 10% beer) and settles an inky black in the glass, with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges. Even the roughest of pours doesn’t yield much more than a thin layer of dark tan bubbles, while a swirl coats the glass in a thick brown residue and heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Oh wow, this smells fantastic! The whiskey barrels are certainly present (but don’t dominate the nose like bourbon barrels often do) and provide a fantastic creamy vanilla character to the beer, while the base beer provides notes of rich dark chocolate brownies, roasted malt, dark caramel and some molasses. As the beer begins to warm, a little dark fruit character becomes apparent alongside some liquorice and a little toasted malt.

Taste: Just as the nose suggested, this is absolutely delicious! Notes include: Deep roasted malt, rich dark caramel, bittersweet dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, liquorice and a little whiskey character in the finish. One of the few faults I can find (and it is a small one) is that as the beer warms, the barrel character seems to get a little lost behind the other flavours.

Mouthfeel: Given the appearance I wasn’t expecting there to be much in the way of carbonation, however surprisingly the carbonation is of a medium level and quite creamy. The body is just about spot on – full and quite sticky.

Overall: This was my first beer Hoppin Frog and I must say, I am very impressed. I can’t wait to get to the other beers I have from these guys.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sexy beer. Very dark and viscus with only a little dark brown head. This looks very tastey. Right up my alley as far as BA beers are concerned.

Bourbon forward. The beer smells dark, rich, umami-y, and a little sweet. Not too much of a roast/smoke smell here. The bourbon notes are oak, booze, vanilla, and toffee.

Awesome flavor! Wow is this good. There is a very strong booze and oak presence, which I really love in a BB stout. The flavors follow the smell nicely, although there is a very roasty taste that is covered in the nose--obviously a side effect of some hearty dark malt. This roast covers the sweetness some, which I think there could be a bit more of. While the flavors are delicious, my only complaint is that the beer is a little two-dimensional. I would love for some more nuanced bourbon flavors to come across.

The mouthfeel is excellent. Creamy, low-medium carbonation, full-bodied, and pretty heavy. While there is a syrupy consistency, the oils don't linger too much making this more drinkable than many thick BB Stouts.

Overall this beer was very impressive. I don't know if it justifies the high cost to play, but at the moment I have no regrets!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: dark burnt brown head forms on the pour. About a half a finger then dissipates to the edges of the glass. Pours pitch black with above average thickness.

Smell: Bright licorice sweet front to this brew. Malt and barley hit on the body of the beer. Sweet molasses adds to the brightness of this brew. Oatmeal hits on the body as well as the bourbon accents are light.

Taste: The sweetness theme continues here. A smooth front transitions into an bright oatmeal and dark chocolate. Nice hoppy accents in the body give it a unique twist. The barrel accents are light, I could use more of a presence. A roasted malt back end pleasantly bites and sticks on the palette long after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Clean, the body might be a little light for an RIS but nothing to get upset about.

Overall: I've liked all the Hoppin' Frog Stouts I've had so far. I expected a little more out of this one being the barrel aged version but it is still a very good beer.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery