B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Barrel-Aged | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Barrel-AgedB.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Barrel-Aged
4.3/5
Outstanding

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

#586

Ratings: 2,418 |  Reviews: 629
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Vinyljunkie for this in a recent trade, consumed late at night to avoid the heat during the summer. Poured into a snifter.

A- BA Boris pours out black from the bottle and has a semi thick look. Once in the glass it stays black while no head was seen just some very faint skim, no lacing, which is expected. A few swirls brings up a dark brown skim on the surface. Towards the end of my glass I see some brown edges in the liquid.

S- Kind of threw me off because I got a lot of dark fruit which was not present in the regular BORIS, perhaps this is new for regular boris as I have not had a regular in a while. Big scents of bourbon with chocolate and even less coffee. Some vanilla and cream. Not being a fan of huge scents of fruits in my stouts that detracted from the smell.

T- The taste is much better as the dark fruit is still there but the other flavors take away from it. A nice amount of bourbon(not sure which type of barrel used) that comes out more with warming. Up next is a nice vanilla addition which melds nicely with the chocolate and light coffee mix. The oatmeal which is very big in the regular version is still here but very muted. A bunch of roasted malt while the hops are light, no bitterness.

M&D- The mouthfeel is actually lighter than expected, I would venture to say that it is above medium bodied with light carbonation. The alcohol is masked extremely well, it's almost non existant. All of the flavors stick around in the aftertaste for a bit. The drinkability is great and only gets better as boris warms, I wish I let it warm more before I drank it all because I was really feeling the last few ounces of it.

For a first time attempt at barrel aging something as great as BORIS, hoppin frog did a great job, although I have had much better attempts at bourbon barrel aged beers. Here is to hoping that future batches grow in complexity and more bourbon.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

After a long drive home I decided it was time to crack open a biggie that I have been dying to try, served chilled and poured into a darkness snifter, this one was consumed on 07/26/2009.

Appearance - The poor was black as night with a thin tan head on top. Not hanging around long it faded back into the abyss and left some light side glass lacing that webbed out decently.

Smell - Big aroma here. Lots of dark fruity notes which suprised me, but melted into rich vanilla and oak like notes that wrapped around a soild base of chocolate and coffee. Very well done.

Taste - Again huge here. There are loads of vanilla and oak notes that wash across the tongue first, filling the palate and really exploring the full spectrum of taste here. Chocolate and coffee move in but then the suprise, nice notes of plums maybe? Perhaps figs, where this fruit like note is coming from I am not sure but it is more then a welcome sight here and really serves to thicken the flavor. A long drawn out finish winds down with a light hint of vanilla and cocoa dacing on the tongue.

Feel - Big, but not too thick it is very well balanced. Despite the lack of the big head on it there is very good carbonation that works on all levels quite nicely.

Drinkabilty - Very nicely done again here. The ABV is deceptively smooth and none of the flavors overbearing. I literally thought it was outstanding to sip on and found myself indulging in a bit more then I thought during the course of the night.

Overall it was outstanding. One of the better barrel aged stouts I have had in a very long time. Why it took me soo long to get ahold of this one I have no idea but it was well worth it for sure. I would do this again any day, I may have a new favorite!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

After a second and third time with this beer, the subtlety is even more awesome and puts it above most bourbon stouts for me. Pours black with a small head. Aroma is big oak and vanilla with no bourbon. Flavor is vanilla, oak and a little booze but very subtle. Nice body and very easy to drink.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks RoyMunson.

Pours a dark, brownish black with a very tiny dark tan foam which leaves a thin crust behind. Pours fairly thick, though not a sludge machine like Dark Lord.

Smells faintly, very faintly, of bourbon, but mostly of mocha, chocolate, and vanilla. Mmmm..

Taste is surprisingly sweet, and mild on the bourbon. Clearly, these guys aren't of the "bourbon bomb" philosophy. The bourbon is understated and supporting, and there's both dark and milk chocolate along with a huge amount of vanilla, some sour oatmeal twangs, and a nice billowy dark sweet fruit background.

This is one delicious beer, I must say. It is not that thick, but it is perfectly carbonated.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

1st Batch. Bomber into a pint.

A - Pours black with a half inch mocha head that faded to a whispy layer and ring around. No real lacing.

S - Dark malts, dark fruit, vanilla hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla and mild bourbon. Some warmth in the finish.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation. Bourbon is not to heavy, pretty well done.

D - Pretty good for the ABV

4.43/5  rDev +3%

1st batch.

A - Black as pitch. Not much of a head. Just a slick of bubbles across the top and a ring around the glass.

S - Whiskey up front. Then chocolate notes as well as some roastiness.

T - The whiskey is more subdued in the taste than the smell. The chocolate and roasted malt pop more. Hints of vanilla and oak. Pretty tasty.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - Highly drinkable for a high ABV beer.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours pitch black with a minimal tan head that faded quick. Light aromas of chocolate, vanilla, coffee, wet oak, and a touch of bourbon. The taste is were this beer starts to shine. Burnt coffee, dark fruits, cherries, fudge, vanilla, some oak, and mild bourbon. Finishes sweet.As it warmed more oak and smoke became present. ABV is hidden fairly well, but is a tad warming going down. Mouth feel is oily and slick. With a good amount of carbonation. Drinkably is surprisingly too easy for this barrel aged stout. Recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a totally thick, impenetrable consistency. There was a thin layer of tan-colored, foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A big aroma of coffee, roasted malt, oatmeal and a hint of bourbon.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, coffee, oatmeal, a little hops and some bourbon in the finish. Alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not overwhelmingly so. Complex, chewy and tasty.

M: A good amount of carbonation and a slightly slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of, but definitely drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to obrienej to sending me a bottle of the first batch of BA BORIS. It's been sitting way too long. Love the original BORIS, so expectations are pretty high for this barrel-aged puppy.

It's dark & darker. Smell is subtle barrel & dark malts.

This is the shoe-pack of RIS. The oatmeal component gives this a silkly smooth slide not found in your run-o-the-mill RIS. That's the first impression, followed by the understated bourbon walking around amidst the wood, vanilla cookie, & malts that someone probably imported across the Styx. Damn! Not only is this really good, but the bourbon is nicely understated, & there are things going on here you don't see elsewhere. Only a few sips into this, but my lips are coated with goodness. I'm going to need some lip balm by the time my half of the bomber is gone.

Marvelous. I'd like to get another of these. Top-notch BA RIS. Get one if you can!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz. Viscous near black pour. Some brown bubbles, sticks to the glass a bit. Big bourbon aroma, accented with molasses, vanilla, caramel, just hints of roast malt. Taste is a real nice balance with the barrel on the stout qualities, not as potent as the nose. Roasted malt, chocolates with light amounts of dark red fruits. Vanilla, caramel, oak follow. Warming, but not as much as the aroma would suggest. Thick and full bodied. Finish is lingering toffee sweetness and oak barrel. The only thing I would say this could use is some more bittering of coffee and hops. I expect barrel aging to negate some of that anyways though. Good drinkability for the "size". A real nice variation on the excellent original Boris.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A big thanks to jwelsh who gave me a taste at the CAH. Poured from his bottle into a small tasting glass.

A: A dark black thick oily looking beer with minimal carbonation and head. Granted, this was only a small tasting glass so I didn't get the full effect of a pour. Minimal (if any) glass lacing.

S: Dark roasted coffee/espresso with some chocolate and some sweeter vanilla boozy smells.

T: My first taste comes in the form of cherry and chocolate sweetness followed by the darker roasted coffee and espresso flavors. The sweetness comes in the form of vanilla, caramel, sweet fruits coupled with the whiskey oaky flavors. Finish comes with more dark chocolate and a hint of bitterness. Very complex beer, excellent.

M: Medium, not as full as I expected, but certainly not thin. Low carbonation and the alcohol is certainly tasted.

D: High for a thick stout with the high abv. Sweetness is held in check and makes for a very drinkable beer.

Overall a great version of Boris with a bit more complexity that I'm not sure really makes it better than regular Boris. I love the regular Boris but the whiskey adds some other flavors that I'm not sure make it better. Different, but not necessarily better. Still a great beer.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours with the absence of all light with very little head, vigorous pour (who cares). The aroma was not overpowering, of choco-coffee. As for taste, I rate it a bit ahead of Speedway stout, chocolate, coffee (not overwelming), and don't ask me where this comes from, but I'm getting grapes too. Someone mentioned that it looks like motor oil... well it feels that way too. Overall, top-notch. I will buy, share and drink again.

3.29/5  rDev -23.5%

Batch2. Thanks to my bud Alex (Rhinos00) for hooking me up! This sample however was a casualty in shipping. The cap was loose and 1/3 leaked out so I cracked it the same night I received it.

Poured into my duckrabbit snifter. Beer looks very black and dead flat. The cap could have leaked all the carbonation. A few bubbles are on the rim, but it was wishful thinking that they equaled carbonation.

Smell is bourbon, but not overpowering, lots of vanilla, chocolate, clove and almost a cinnamon note. Fantastic!

Beer is flat thanks to the leak. Some prickles are felt when I swirl the beer in my mouth. Finish is roasty, chocolately, and dark fruits are mingled in. I like the sweetness from the bourbon and vanilla. The stout is not dry, so the palette stays refreshed, but the flatness gets to you.

Points come off for mouthfeel (flat) and drinkability (flat). Its a good thing I have more.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a motor oil black with a thin rimming of chocolate brown head.
Smell has a great chocolate and large malt presence with a barrel-aged boozey quality.
Taste is very chocolate malty in character sort of like a chocolate oatmeal cookie, fairly sweet.
Finish is pretty clean with a little malty/booze after-taste.
Drinks well at 9.4% but I wouldn't call it ridculously drinkable like many in its class.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of rich roasted malt, bourbon, bitter chocolate, and chocolate fudge. Flavor is bourbony upfront with a chocolatey finish. Mellow (alcohol-wise) for a barrel aged beer, which I appreciate, but I still think I prefer the original (??). Good beer still!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

...and I thought I was blown away by the regular BORIS. With more strength and complexity from whisky barrels, this beer is about as good as Stouts get.

Because of the wood aging and extra alcohol that are picked up from whiskey barrels, the beer has a tough time holding onto any strong head or from retaining well. But the beer shows a lot of burned amber legging that does appeal to me.

Those espresso and cocoa aromas still show up in force, the barrel aged version also has a stronger ester profile than the simplified and standard version. Stronger alcohols make an impact but in a more subtle way that doesn't bring extra attention to itself.

Flavors to the same: stronger and more ester-forward. Chocolate covered cherries, berries, and plumbs begin to shine a bit. More caramels, vanillans, and simple woodiness begins to richen the beer, again without gaining dominance but adding complexity. Simply a more complex flavored BORIS without any distracitons.

The same silky, velvety smoothness is unhampered by the added alcohols. The barrel aging may actually take the edge off of the beer, making it smoother textured. But a bit drier and warmer strengthens the argument for compexity without hurting the beer.

I guess the argument for or against the barrel aging would be in whether you prefer a simple and pure stout or a complex and varying stout. But this variety is a welcome addition to the near flawless standard version.

Thanks goryshkewych, this beer was insanely good!

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Batch #2- Purchased on 7/3/09.

A- Pours out slow with the look and weight of draining motor oil from a car. A very thin, dark coffee colored head fizzed up but was very short-lived. Im left with a shimmery, oily surface with small wisps of suds and a hairline ring around the edge.
Not much lacing, just little beads of foam that slide back down the sides of the glass.

The color is black with hints of black around the edges. If held up to the light some black begins to be visible.

S- Swirling this one around in a snifter really helps bring out lots of hidden aromas. Whiskey up front, vanilla, bitter sweet chocolates, raisins, prunes, figs?
The nose is smooth and round. It matches the body and taste.

T- Like the smell the whiskey is at the front but its not intimidating or overpowering nor does it linger. It makes way for roasty malts and a raisin-y/ prune-y sweetness, followed by the oak.
The finish is my favorite part of tasting this beer. Im getting a wonderful powdery, rich taste of bitter sweet cocoa and hot fudge syrup. Very pleasant.

M- Smooth, thick round. Very full body. The low carbonation helps play up the round feeling. A bit of alcohol warmth on the finish. BA BORIS is very sticky and chewy. I feel it resting in my stomach. This beer has some weight to it.

D- Sip this one slowly, enjoy it. This bomber is going to last me all evening.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a small roast coffee-colored head that leaves tads of lacing. Looks oily with a nice sheen.

S: Aromas of dark fruits, and prunes, apples, bourbon, vanilla and a tad of smoked and cocoa.

T: Dark, fruity stout with many of the aforementioned aromas playing out on the palate. The dark fruits are balanced nicely by the barreling aging aspects.

M: Thick, oily, a bit sticky and definitely chewy. A heavy one for sure.

D: A superior effort. Great sipper. Well balanced. Smooth finish.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went into my one of my favorite beer stores looking for the new Stones Anniversary Beer. No joy on the stones; however, I stumbled across a couple bottles of Barrel Aged Boris. I am a sucker for stouts. I really dig Boris and well throw whiskey in the mix and its a party. I left the beer in my fridge for longer than I would have liked. Dam!... The beer has set on the counter for 15 minutes its still a bit cold but into my pint glass its going. The beer will be allowed to reach a temperature I enjoy.

Appearance: The beer pours a nearly perfect blackness in my beer. All the light that hits the beer cannot penetrate the blackness. No opaqueness is noted to light. The head is the coloration of lightly creamed espresso foam. The head is about 1/4 inch. Nice retention of the head is noted. Thick lacing remains on my glass. This seems to be a very inviting beer.

Smell: Like regular Boris all the expected Imperial Stout notes are played well. Dark roasted, toasted and chared malt notes mingle in the aroma. The aroma of bitter sweet cocoa and dark roasted coffee. The aroma of the "whiskey" isnt subtle. The "whiskey" is a well played addition to Boris.

Taste: The whiskey is very forward in the flavor. The whiskey flavor is leading the charge and driving the flavor of Boris. The resulting combination kind of reminds me of Bourbon balls. Vanilla, dark semi sweet cocoa, a flash of coffee bourbon. I think I could get this same sort of effect adding a bit of bourbon to my own bottle of Boris.

Mouthfeel: Boris in this incarnation is still extra large and in charge. The beer has a full body. The carbonation is low but works very well. The beer seems a bit hot to the mouth.

Drinkability: The addition of the whiskey element turns this beer into a sipper for me. Its still draining from my glass at a fast rate. If you dont like whiskey - bourbon ect stay away as this isnt a beer for you. As for me I have another bottle in my cellar. I am curious to see what a bit of time will do for Boris and the whiskey in the jar.

This beer was all the hype a couple months ago. With another release in the close future, I decided to crack open my last bottle. Lets see if it lives up to the hype:

A: Just like the regular BORIS. Pitch black and thick. Head is very dark brown, but dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is very minimal.

S: Again, very similar to regular BORIS. Lots of oatmeal. Semi-sweet with hints of coffee and chocolate. The oak aged smell is present, but not overpowering.

T: It actually tastes a lot different than the regular BORIS. The oatmeal is very present, but the coffee and chocolate notes seem much more subdued. They are still present, but overpowered by the oaky notes. Very strong wood character with hints of whiskey. Alcohol seems much more pronounced. I think I prefer the original. This one is much more oaky and has less of the signiture Stout flavors. Actually reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher Heresy.

M: Super creamy and thick. Alcohol does rear its head in there though. Overall, very good.

D: This beer is a sipper. Very thick and rich in flavor. One bomber is more than enough for the night. I don't know why, but BORIS always puts me out. Its 9.4%, which is pretty moderate for an Imperial Stout...

Overall, this beer is very good, but not worthy of the hype. The comparison to Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is way off. This is more in the league of Weyerbacher Heresy, but this has a much thicker body. I have had better Stouts, and I have had better from Hoppin Frog, but this is still worth seeking out and buying.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Pours an opaque black body with some chestnut brown at the edges. A small, quickly fading tan-colored head. Thick sheets of sticky tan lace.

Sweet, complex aromas that include wood, evident alcohol, some brown sugar, toffee and a faint bourbon scent in the background. Zero detectable hops in the nose.

Flavors include bittersweet cocoa, more toffee and brown sugar. Detectable alcohol--reminds me of bourbon, with a vague phenol/woodiness and a powerful toasted malt character. Again, very little- if any detectable hops.

As full-bodied as they come. Velvetty texture coates the mouth with a lingering sweetness.

As delicious as I'd hoped, but the ABV would knock me out if I tried drink any more than this bomber.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to Dave for busting this out on New Beer Sunday - I promise we'll get to the Cigar City next time. Served in a Hopleaf tulip.

A - Minimal tan foam that dissipates immediately - had to check that we weren't drinking Brandy Angel's Share. Even giving a hard pour and sloshing it around didn't help. Pitch black - not even the tiniest bit of color at the edges when held up to the light. If this was a 13%+ R.I.S. I might have given it a 4.0, but for a 9.4% beer I expect at least a half finger of foam.
Edit - Upon trying batch 2, they seem to have corrected this issue. There was a finger of dark mocha foam with decent retention. Still minimal lace, though. Gonna bump it to 4.0

S - For only three months in the barrel there is a lot more whiskey in the smell than I expected (especially after the JD Blackbeerd). Unfortunately the whiskey smell is somewhat harsh and astringent - almost as if the barrels were from lower shelf swill. Lots of roast malt, some smokiness and wood, semi-sweet chocolate, a hint of vanilla. Not the hugest smell - I had to get my nose in the glass before I could really pick out the richness and depth.

T - The taste is a significant improvement, with a great balance of whiskey, coffee, sweet malts, lots of roasty bitterness, and a touch of barrel bite in the aftertaste. Much smoother and better integrated than the smell.

M - Typical awesome B.O.R.I.S. mouthfeel with tons of creamy oatmeal softness and tons of residual stickiness. Full bodied, with low carbonation, and minimal alcohol heat. Just wonderful.

D - The booze is well hidden, and the mouthfeel is delightful, but the roasty bitterness and barrel flavor are kind of palate destroying. The 7-8 oz I got to try was definitely the right serving size for this one. Great for an evening ender.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Pours black with a small frothy head. Light lacing.

S: Aromas of mocha, hazelnuts, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Full-flavored and a bit bitter. Earthy with prominent oak and vanilla flavors followed by coffee and bitter chocolate. Quite a lot of bourbon character.

M: Full-bodied with light carbonation. Sticky and dense.

D: Not quite as easy to drink as the regular BORIS; the bourbon is a bit too aggressive I think. With a year or two of aging, this one should be amazing.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Oh. Em. Gee.

In a line-up of phenomenal beers graciously supplied by JDV at his birthday tasting in Austin, which included the likes of Kate the Great, Brooklyn Black OPS, East End Toaster, Full Sail Black Gold, and Pisgah Valdez, Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. took the cake. Deniz may have cried, I'm not sure...

Sits a thick, seal-brown body in the tasting glass, letting in a little light at the edges to take on a mahogany hue. A fat custard head floats aimlessly atop, unaware of the deliciousness lurking beneath. Excellent nose on this RIS, as the oak-aging adds an intoxicating vanilla profile that complements well the espresso coffee and dark chocolate.

Too many flavorical (I just made that up) nuances to count. Chocolate, bourbon, immensely fruity tastes of blackberry and raisin...spiced wood, charcoal...the list goes on. This could have easily been a cluster-fuck of flavors, but everything is so well balanced in this beer that they all achieve a zen-like harmony across every part of the palate. Mouthfeel is no slouch, either. A hint of heat from the booze compliments a perfect carbonation level and a medium-thick body. I can feel my stomach warming with every sip. Bravo to Hoppin' Frog---I repeat: BRAVO! I thought regular old B.O.R.I.S. was amazing (and, rightfully so, it still is) but the Barrel-Aged version takes it to a whole 'nother level.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Super huge thanks to normyk for this great hook-up!

Pours a deep, rich black color, with dark ruby highlights. Very thin head of loose, dark brown foam. Retention is almost nothing. Lacing is in small spots and oily slick.

Wonderful, warmly inviting, nose. Scent of cinnamon toast. Big earthiness. Butterey oak. Coffee and semisweet chocolates. Vanilla toffees. Hints of dark fruits. Toasted oats. Beautifully warm bourbon/whiskey notes.
Complex, yet inviting.

Rich, roasted malts. More of that butterey smooth oak flavor. Nice, deep, rich, coffee flavor. Vanilla flavored cream. Whiskey notes are so tasty. They aren't buried, yet they don't smack you in the face saying 'notice me' either. Sweet breakfast oats, with butter and cinnamon sugar. My first time to say that I pick up notes of brownie batter in this one. Chocolate milk with dark chocolate shavings.
This is much more balanced than anticipated, especially for being so young. For comparison, I'll say that I love KBS, but I think it's a touch weak, in the bourbon notes area. GI BCS is phenomal, even if it's 'hot' when fresh, but it gets even better as it ages and everything blends together. This one is already beautifully tasty.
I'd love to age one of these, but I don't know that I'd be able to stay away from it.

Full-bodied. Very smooth and goes down too easy. Ultra low carbonation. Lacking in creaminess that would send this one over the top. I'd love to see them attempt this one again with a little more carbonation.

I'm surprised that this one claims 9.4%ABV. I'm trying, but I can't find it in my glass. This is super tasty and very drinkable.
Bravo to Hoppin' Frog! And thanks again, to normyk for sharing this with me.

B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Barrel-Aged from Hoppin' Frog Brewery