Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Reviews: 611 | Ratings: 2,346
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours an inky black with an obvious thickness. Minimal head at pour but all carbonation disappears after a minute or two. The nose at first is vanilla and bourbon with a noticeable alcohol. Again, waiting a bit the alcohol clears and makes room for some toasted malts. The flavor is divine. This thing is all bourbon and vanilla on the tongue. An touch of alcohol bite warms the mouth and the flavors linger like custard. The mouthfeel is medium-thick and very pleasant. This is one of the best balanced barrel aged stouts I've had, and has one of the most complete flavor profiles.

4.09/5  rDev -4%

I have rhinos00 over on BA to thank for this bottle. He hooked me up with this one in the Gentleman's Club BIF. This bottle has at least a year on it I belive. Served up in a tulip. Get on it.

A: Looks just like the regular BORIS. It has that shiny, inky black body that has some gloss to it. Its dark and not letting any light through whatsoever. Moving it around in the glass, you get that light yellow film being left on the glass. The beer appears to be thick and creamy. But yet again, there is pretty much zero head. There was a little bit of brown bubbles that came up, but they were minimal and disappeared quickly. No lace whatsoever. Has that somewhat boring look that the original had.

S: This shines here in the nose. First things first. The whiskey and wood really come out. This is nice and boozy with a good amount of vanilla wood notes. The best part is that it doesn't cover up the original BORIS aroma. Getting all of that hearty, earthy oatmeal that is nice and lightly sweet. Behind that you get the bitter chocolate presence, that is semi sweet and nicely bitter. This is great.

T: Hmmm. I will start off by saying this is good . . . probably a little better than good. BUT . . . the booze really overpowers this beer. The flavor profile is almost all boozy whiskey notes and vanilla. It kinda feels like a completely different beer without the BORIS base. I mean I am not getting any of the Oatmeal really at all that I got in the original. That was the best part for me. I am getting some chocolate notes along with some dark fruit (maybe plum, cherries and fig). With all that said, I still really like it but its a bit disappointing in some flavor arenas.

M: Coming across big and creamy like the OG BORIS. Has that nice weight to it that coats just enough, allowing flavors to linger and let you fully understand them. Getting a little more heat on the palate and throat than I remember from the original, but that may be my imagination stemming from the booze flavors. Aftertaste is all woody vanilla notes and booze.

D: This was interesting. Its really good but I feel a little let down. The best thing for me about the original BORIS was that huge oatmeal presence and this really doesn't have that at all in the flavor. The booze and whiskey notes really took over and completely changed the beer. Original BORIS became a standard for me, and I feel if you are going to screw with something, you need to make it better. And I truly can't tell you if it has become better and I fear it hasn't. Its good. Its quality, but it isn't blowing me away or making feel it improved BORIS. Ah well. Its still good and drinking well.

Serving Type: 22oz Bottle Vessel Type: Tulip Price:NA

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bottle obtained via Growling at the Moon from bb8189. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a DFH tulip, formed an uneven dark brown skim above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Skim recedes to the rim and the slighted swirling in the center of the glass, with heavy legs as well as slow-falling lace. Aroma is vanilla, oak, dark sweetness, and alcohol.

Taste begins with dark syrupy sweetness, a peek of dried fruits and hops in the middle, and then oak and booze come along and kick ass. Swallow finds slight numbing, and definite lingering warmth. Mouthfeel is slickery smooth, with good drinkability in that the depth and variety of flavors invites you back for more. Busy offering, but still a nice treat.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A gift from Fred Karm, a terrific guy and great brewer. Thanks! This beer appears black, with a slight brown hue near the crest when held up to the light. Nice head and lacing. This is a delicious beer. The oats work very well with the wood. The blending and melding of flavors is particularly well done. There is a slight warming alcohol note in the finish. The feel is creamy and smooth, yet crisp carbonation gives it a well-balanced and very enjoyable feel. I highly recommend this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

I've had the BA BORIS several times, but have never taken any notes. Cracked one open at Brodie's house-cooling party so I figured I'd toss up a review.

Poured into one of his pint glasses, the thick, black stout stacks up leaving a very dark brown head. The head looks extremely thick and sticks around for quite some time. Virtually none is left on the sides of my glass as I drink this one, but I gotta blame that on the glassware, I guess. All of the others that I have had have left large amounts of sticky lace throughout the drink.

Strong smells of vanilla-bourbon and chocolate. I really enjoy this beer, and the smell is a big factor. The barrels have really helped the B.O.R.I.S by giving them that sweet, vanilla smell. A bit of a detractor is the hot alcohol that comes with a deep breath, but this is minor in comparison to the big picture.

The taste is exactly what one would predict given the smell. Smooth. Damn smooth. Reminds me of Kate the Great in this respect...almost a velvety smoothness - and very creamy. Dark roasted malts give the roastiness to the brew, but there's a lot of other stuff going on in there as well. The sweet vanilla and caramel provide a great balance to a roasty coffee. The sweet is the initial flavor, before transitioning to this chocolate espresso. A deep, dark cherry rounds this thing off, before the bourbon finish kicks it out the door. Very impressive.

Still a bit hot. The flavor is excellent, but this will score a little bit lower on drinkability. Don't get me wrong, the vanilla-bourbon flavors from the barrel are what separate this beer to a great brew, but I find a bit more heat than I'd like. Being fairly available now-a-days, this is a beer that I keep downstairs and can go to when I'm running low on new stouts. Definitely a keeper.

Consumed: 4/17/2010

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

A barrel-aged version of my favorite stout? Sounds like I need to try this.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip black as black could be. The head is very small and light brown in color. It shrinks immediately to just a thin collar and some stray bubbles.

SMELL: Now that's nice. Everything you could ever want and more. Loads of chocolate mesh with intense vanilla joined with notes of coffee, caramel, oak, and then shot through with the piercing aroma of whiskey. Can I get this as an air freshener for my car?

TASTE: Starts off rich and luxurious with immense amounts of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. The whiskey flavor and bite starts to creep in across the palate before giving way on the finish. In its place, the coffee really intensifies and lasts roasty and nutty the entire way through.

MOUTHFEEL: Wonderfully milkshake-thick, which is ideal in my book. The carbonation is lower where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Fine for the style, and fine for a chilly afternoon like this one. It'll last a while for sure, but I have no problem drinking the whole bomber.

While certainly a VERY different beer than regular B.O.R.I.S., this one should be world class on its own merits. Definitely seek this one out, as it's one of the best barrel-aged stouts I've ever had.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Yum!

I have to admit - despite the cheesy labels, I'm continually impressed by the Hoppin Frog stuff I try. This one smells great, tastes even better - a nice dark color with a smoooth malty chocolate flavor makes is VERY drinkable, its SUPER smooth as you drink. DEFINITELY something I'd try again... hopefully soon!

Tasty!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been waiting to try this expensive but awesome looking beer for a while now. Finally found a night to do it, watching the Bruins kick the Flyers...I finally get to see if it's worth it.

A: Opens with a soft but distinct ppsssttt, but the heavy pour yields only a very small dark colored head that doesn't even cover the whole top. The beer itself is pitch black, blacker than deep space with some nice lookin legs on the sides of the glass.

N: I could smell the roast and chocolate on the pour. I dive in deeper battling back the urge to start drinking, and find the roast is not as much as I expected. It has some heavy roast but not loaded like some other RIS. The same can not be said for the chocolate, which is loaded. Lots of bakers chocolate, coco nibs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coco crispies the cereal, etc. There's quite a bit of bourbon and oak with that, with a little vanilla. And with that is some woody esthers, like fresh saw dust almost. Then more dark malts, some crystal and caramel aromas, and hints of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Not sure if I should attempt to taste or just keep enjoying the nose, but alas I gotta. I take a mouthful, and the coffee and roast is a lot more dominant now. Still not sure heavy but def lets you know its there. Its super rich and creamy, smooth, velvety, and... umm... rich. It's very thick and syrupy and has legs on my tongue even. Then comes the chocolate, which comes in waves and feels like it's melting in my mouth (not my hand luckily). As it warms in my mouth the chocolate turns from a creamy milk chocolate to a bakers and dark chocolate and fresh melted cocoa nibs. The literal feeling of it melting in my mouth as it warms is really cool. Luscious and rich, it adds more sweet dark malts, with dark crystal and some toasty flavors. More sweetness with caramel, molasses, and gallons of malts. Some bourbon cuts through all the heavy beer (if I can call it that). A little oak and wood with all that, and even hint of vanilla as it warms. A little bitterness coming from the roasted malts but they did a really good job of keeping the bitterness at bay compared to most super heavy RIS beers. A slight hint of warming booze and taste of it.

M: Must I say it again... oh why not cause its so great, super thick and luscious, creamy, smooth, heavy and super thick, but almost no carbonation.

F: Still a little bitterness but its very little comparatively. Still semi sweet from all the heavy malts, with more lingering brown sugar and molasses, as well as tons upon tons of malts. It just sticks all over the mouth and I can practically feel it slowly dripping down with legs, like used motor oil does slowly down the oil pan. Lots of lingering luscious chocolate as well, all kinds still. Almost no more roasted or coffee flavors, just more smooth dark malts and chocolate. WIth all that is hints of lingering vanilla and a little oak, but not really any bourbon anymore either. Hints of warming booze... wait, no... yeah! I do get a little coffee now. On another sip as it slowly thinned on my mouth and evaporated, or I mean slowly fell off, I got some more lingering coffee and roast, but then was gone again. Long stickiness too as it just coats everything with a probably 1030 gravity liquid of really heavy viscosity.

Overall an amazingly tasty beer, with great smoothness and mouth feel. Drinks like it is 9.4% (which it is), some really nice malt flavors and lots of chocolate, hints of roast. Could have used a little more of teh bourbon and oak flavors, and some carbonation. Otherwise one of my new fav stouts (not top, but up there, probably top 5).

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Enjoyed this one to celebrate my 24th birthday.

Black pour. Very small tan head retains well, and leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma is of sweet whiskey, charred malts, and oatmeal. Basically smells like a spiked black coffee.

Great subtle whiskey flavor. Barrel aging imparts a nice sweet, but not hot flavor. Lots of great subtle flavors rather than bold, overpowering ones. That said, BA BORIS has a monstrous roasted malt character, giving it loads of dark chocolate and coffee flavors.

Nice, thick, rich body. Carbonation is appropriate. Slight creaminess. Ridiculously easy drinker for a 9+% BA imperial stout. I set the glass down during the first contemplative sip, then immediately picked it back up for more. It was a challenge to let this one warm up. Great stuff.

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a snifter. Slow-blooming head, a rich chestnut color. Head quickly subsides into inky stillness with a touch of tawny at the edges.

Smell is fantastic, a mix of vanilla, wood, a bit of alcohol burn.

Taste has a bit of a tannic bite to it that I am not sure I care for. This beer is at its best at room temperature as this bite tends to subside as the beer warms up. Very nice bitterness on the finish.

It's nice but not extraordinary for me.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A - A nice dark brown color with some ruby on the edges. Small head that never amounted to much and quickly disappeared.

S - Not as much of a whisky smell as I would have guessed, some cocoa and coffee notes. Lot of roasty notes and some mild vanilla.

T - Better than I would have expected. Nice roasted taste with subtle bourbon and vanilla on the back of some minimally sweet cocoa and a present but not overpowering coffee flavor. Don't really notice the alcohol, and it finishes with a bitter touch.

M - Lighter side of heavy, pretty creamy, not tons of carbonation.

D - Really easy drinker considering what it is. I got through this bomber with no trouble, and was looking for more, dangerous.

Thanks to ne0m00re for this 22-oz bottle. Poured into snifters.

A = Opaque mahogany with a large billowy head comprised of a mix of small and large bubbles. Head is caramel with light reddish tint, recedes slowly leaving only very light lacing.

S = First and foremost I get a ton of oak smells with vanilla, marzipan, hot buttered popcorn, hot chocolate with melted marshmallows.

T = The flavors are better melded than I had expected from the smells, but most of the elements remain the same. There is a strong oaked vanilla flavor with a strong accompaniment of American coffee mixed with a semi sweet chocolate powder and heavy cream and perhaps only a slight amount of white sugar.

M = Heavy body, very full, creamy mouthfeel, creamy. Great mouthcoating.

D = This is very good, but I think small amounts are probably most appropriate. I don't think it is quite as approachable as the non-barrel aged version, but it is definitely a great beer.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Green capped bottle poured into a snifter on 12/17/09

Pours a dense brown & settles black. A thin, bubbly head dissipates almost instantly. Swirling the glass revives a bit of dark tan foam. Retention is minimal & mainly kept to the inside perimeter of the glass. Sporadic circles of lace toward the beginning, with no left by the end.

The nose isn't as potent as I would expect. It has an effervescent quality upfront. Still, there is a sharp bourbon booziness that is mellowed by the smoothness of oatmeal & oak. Hints of chocolate & roasted malts abound with a notable presence of dark fruits - namely prunes & dark cherries.

Smooth swaths of oatmeal lead into a solid chocolate middle which is the prevalent flavor here. Roasted malts are in the background; dark sugar undertones. Smooth & earthy notes of wood with notions of bourbon & vanilla. Hints of dark fruits on the finish. Very nice, indeed.

While full bodied & robust, BA B.O.R.I.S. isn't particularly dense or gritty. It actually has quite a bit of slickness to it. Very low carbonation is rather smooth. Alcohol heat is appreciable but isn't too harsh.

On the whole this beer is impressive & I found it to be quite enjoyable. Certainly it's one to be sipped. Worth picking up a bottle when it's around.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Thank you, Alex!

Jet black with a thin, brown head with rather poor retention and lacing, this still manages to retain more than a modicum of attractiveness. Beer goggles?
The nose is excellent. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, a little leather, cocoa, coffee and plenty of raisin, this is great stuff. A touch earthy too? The palate opens with chocolate, coffee and bourbon and plenty of heat. Alcohol, vanilla, chocolate are present. This is super smooth, much like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Sweet finish with medium roast, this is a great beer.

**Edit 15 Feb 2012**
Bottle, batch 1. Thank you, George!

I believe my last review was for batch 3. I don't have much to add, except that there isn't any leather. This is also a lot more oxidized, with port and raisins. The palate has an excellent blend of roast, chocolate, caramel and a rather wonderful bourbon character. Vanilla, (toasted) coconut and some bourbon. Excellent stuff, I'll let my scores stand. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Shared this at Dyan's place yesterday.

BA Boris pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and decent lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, with leather, tobacco, coffee and dark chocolate. Flavors replicate the nose in this fairly sweet stout, but it delivers more flavor then I was expecting from the aroma profile. The chocolate flavor really comes on strong on the palate, along with considerable coffee and vanilla. There is a hint of leather and tobacco in the long finish. Mouthfeel is fairly soft and creamy, and seemed to improve the longer the beer sat in the glass. Drinkability is good, with the alcohol well disguised.

Re-sampled on 6/28/11. Very little difference from previous version. Still quite excellent. Did find the aroma profile a bit more attractive, and so adjusted review score slightly.

This was a very easy to take, very enjoyable beer. Haven't had the regular Boris in some time, but this is clearly superior to the regular version of this beer (IMHO). Impressive.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Corsedonk snifter. Pours a perfect oily black, and thick. I'm loving the appearance already. A small frothy light brown head comes forth, but then slowly dissipates to a surface of creamy froth. Leaves thick creamy lacing that quickly slides down the glass.

Aroma is very pleasing with lot's of coffee and chocolate notes. Actually picking up a slight fruit in the aroma as well. Distant oak and booze scent.

Yum! Great RIS from Hoppin' Frog. Wonderful chocolate, malty, and thick mouthfeel/flavor. Coffee aftertaste, also when the whiskey flavor penetrates the tongue. Very mild bitter hops on the back of the tongue mid-flavor. Nice slight booze warming slides down the throat. A very solid and tasty RIS!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 1

Barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. is onyx in color. Completely pitch black. No light's cutting through at all. It's capped with a modest chocolate mocha cap. It might reach a finger deep if it's lucky. Love the color. It dissipates quickly and leaves a sticky, light lacing on the glass.

The nose is damn impressive. Roasted malts seem to be front and center, which is not unlike the base beer. I like that here. Light hints of chocolate and coffee are noted, and complement its roasted character. Bourbon is noted, but the approach here is very elegant. It's a modest bourbon scent that complements the other scents very well. I generally prefer this approach when it comes to barrel aging stouts, and this one's no different. Vanilla is noted late, but it's subtle. Alcohol is masked extremely well.

Let there be no doubt, Barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. is my kind of barrel aged stout. Roasted malts are very prominent and give it an excellent base. No surprise there. It's hard to mess up when you're starting with B.O.R.I.S. There are some light chocolate and coffee flavors, but they're very subtle. Nonetheless, they add quality depth and are effective.Bourbon is noted, but it is a very modest flavor. It's not intimidating or overpowering at all. Rather, it plays a complementary role, and plays it perfectly. Vanilla, molasses, and caramel are all secondary flavors. Lots of depth here. There's even a bit of a hoppy, bitter flavor that I'm pleased to encounter. I'm surprised given that this bottle is nearly a year old. I'm sure it's not what it once was, but it's still kicking. Alcohol is never too big of a factor, but is noticeable. It finishes a little bitter, roasty, with a touch of bourbon. Excellent.

The body here is medium, but leans toward thick with warming. It's definitely creamy and smooth once the temperature elevates a little. Carbonation is dialed down nicely. Drinkability is very high. I was apprehensive that a bomber might be a bit much. Not the case. It's not enough. For a big, barrel-aged stout, this stuff goes down far too easily.

Barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. is superb beer. I like the regular version quite a bit, but a touch of bourbon and vanilla flavor obviously goes a long way here. There really isn't anything negative to say. If you haven't had a bottle by now, seek it out. It's well-worth the effort. Here's hoping Hoppin' Frog keeps releasing this semi-regularly. Bravo!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a black opaque color, with no hints of light. A thick and oily look with a small creamy caramel colored head. The sweet scent of oatmeal hits the nose, followed by a whiskey fragrance, with touches of chocolate at the end. Oatmeal and malt sweetness is the strength at first taste that is soon overtaken by bourbon, whiskey flavor. A dried fruit flavor comes forward soon after, mostly of raisons and currants, finishing with a touch of grapefruit and citric bitterness. A very slick and oily finish that spreads out evenly, it finishes with a mild dryness on the back of the palate with a slight burn of alcohol. This is an in your face beer, an intense fragrance and flavor are top notch. A thick and dark look with the slick and oily texture make this a great night cap beer.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to the mothman for sharing this one.

Deep dark oily black colored body with a mocha colored head.

Smell is of licorice, oatmeal, bourbon and roasted malts.

Big thick roasty bourbon flavors come through immediately. Lots of licorice comes through as well. Very sweet and thick in the finish, with the wood barrel flavor coming in as well.

Big, thick, smooth syrupy mouthfeel. The flavor lingers on the tongue forever.

Good drinkablility for such a big beer and the oatmeal makes it smooth.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

Sampled at the 2010 Stout tasting in a Orval Chalice.

22oz bomber, from 2009.

Deep dark brown mahogany/black with zero head at all. Nose is very boozy from the bourbon but really nice flavor notes.

Taste is awesome, light richness and very crismp oatmeal finish makes it one of the best bourbon barrel beers I've had in a long time!

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this recently at a tasting along with the regular version.
Pours a dark brown almost black color with a slight tan head. The smell is way more pronounced than the regular version. Notes of roasted malts, barrel, coffee, and subtle sweetness. The taste is also way different than the regular version with flavors of dark chocolate, the barrel, with a slight bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium. The drinkability is good but it is a heavier beer. Maybe this one stands out so much to me since we compared it to the regular version, but I really enjoyed this one. My 2 cents is to skip the non-BA version and go find this one!

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

Did a side by side with this and regular Boris.

Pours very little tan head that fades down fast. Leaves no lace. color is a solid black, just like regular boris.

Aroma: licorice, dried cherries, chocolate, roasted malts, whiskey, sweet malts, oak, and vanilla. Much better than regular boris. Well done here.

Taste: Lots of fresh cherries with licorice. The whiskey is dulled down, but present. Some oak and vanilla. Lots of oats. Much better than the regular version.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, smooth, and velvety. Lower carbonation with a medium sized body. Ends roasted with some whiskey. Not bad, but a little dry.

Overall, this beer is much much better than the regular version and I can't stress that enough. It is fairly drinkable and something I wouldn't mind drinking again.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks goes out to goryshkewych and roopy40 for each sending me extra's of this. You guys are awesome!

Pours a deep black, with light visible only at the extreme edges. Doesn't pour any head, but a good swirl coaxes some bubbles out. No lacig either.

The nose is strong up front with bourbon and woody characters. I also get burnt malts, chocolate and oatmeal, a light coffee bean bitterness as well as toffee and caramel. Sweeter than I expected.

The taste takes a step back from the bourbon, although it's still there. Oaky, with chocolate and vanilla, roasted malts and tofffe, a light coffee note in the finish. Bourbon softer and in the background.

Mouthfeel is not as thick as I thought it would be, probably about medium. Not very viscous, and has a low carbonatoin. Drinkability is good, a sipper for sure.

Overall, I enjoyed this much more than the regular BORIS, as it just takes it up a notch. Good stuff, I'd be interested to find out how the DORIS turns out.

Sampled February 2010
A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces an almost four-finger thick, richly browned head. The beer is very dark, almost perfectly black color that is quite opaque when held up to the light. The head manages to leave some spotty lacing on the sides of the glass as the head subsides. The aroma smells of vanillin and sweetened toasted coconut up front. This leads into a richly toasted malt character that leans towards barley husk notes, sweetened dark cocoa, and a cream laden, sweetened, French roast coffee drink. Interestingly enough this beer is not nearly as complex as I expected from a Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout; I do like that this is very smooth and well integrated as the Bourbon character has not run rough-shod and hot over the aromatic profile.

The beer tastes quite sweet up front and finishes with a touch of Bourbon spice, acrid burnt malt, and a spicy carbonic bite that is a bit unexpected given that this isn't highly carbonated. Flavors of vanillin interweave with rich toasted coconut notes and the dark, chocolate like malt character to make this seem quite a bit like a rich desert. The body is rich and viscous as it lingers fatly on the palate without being cloying. As the beer warms up it loses some of the sweetness that was almost too much initially. This helps to bring out a rich, savory malt character that brings out a sort of salty, sort of smoky, definitely umami character.

A quite enjoyable beer whose biggest flaw is that it is perhaps a bit simplistic. This definitely needs to be drunk on the warm side of cool where the savory quality becomes noticed and helps to boost the complexity. The most pleasant part of this beer is that it doesn't get overwhelmed by the Bourbon Barrel aging, which is a huge relief to me.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Cheers Oskar, thanks alot for sharing!

Poured black as coal with light red tints at the edge when held up to a the light. Creamy thick head that dies out fairly quick and leaves some lacing.

Smells really fruity, especially of dark berries, blackberries first and foremost. Imagine blackberryjam on a piece of toasted rye bread, and a light note of coffee and a very light hint of vanilla in the back, or is it the oats?

Starts of with the toasted rye bread again, but this time the blackberries are accompanied by raspberries and an ever so light touch of blueberries. This is all followed by a little raisin and dried figs, all the while having the toasted bread along. Mid-palate it all transforms into a much less fruity experience, but with a rather bitter cocoa, and dark semi-sweet milk chocolate. There is cofee as well, and just after you have recognized these for the style signature characteristics, the creamy vanilla and oak notes push through and finishes thebeer off ever so smoothly, awesome.

Mouthfeel is creamy, almost overly creamy to me, and the carbonation is light and contributing to the creamyness.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery