Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
4.3/5
Outstanding

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

#550

Ratings: 2,408 |  Reviews: 628

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

B.O.R.I.S. has a lot of variants -- this is the 2nd I've had. Pours dark and rather thick. Head is brown and inconsequential.

Smell is tobacco, coffee, some roasted bread. Taste is burnt toast, anise (black licorice), caramel, the wood of a charred barrel, chocolate-covered cherries that have been left on the frying pan too long, and cheap bourbon. Hoppy; and much more bitter and harsh than the Crusher/Oatmeal Reserve variant. This one, also at 9.4%, has a cloying alcohol aftertaste that gets worse the more it warms. Gets a little sickly and slick. Boozy can be done well. Here, I feel a headache coming on.

Any benefit of the barrel aging seems to have been missed, too much bourbon in the wood and burnt malt way too forward rather than mellowing, a silky vanilla undercurrent only barely there. You know how your wife says stouts are "nasty"? This.

I got a Hopping Frog logo cap, not sure how old this was as there is no date, and I did cellar it for 4 months. Longer might have mellowed the tastes? Careful with your BORIS.

3.22/5  rDev -25.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass. I can't for the life of me remember who sent this. Whoever you are, please BM me so I can give you credit. I should track my trades better. What I do remember is that it cost about $17 in trade (shows you where my priorities are, heh).

Anyway, I appreciate having the chance to try this.

A: Pours an opaque black body with a short-lived mocha head. The bubbles vanish into nothing; the beer looks completely still and leaves no lacing down the sides.

S: Lots. Of. Whiskey. I'm one of those guys that likes a little more balance; the base beer should hold up well against the barrel. It smells like the barrel won, here. I still get the base beer, with a rummy sweetness, chocolate, roasted malt, and molasses.

T: See above. Whiskey starts the taste, and it nearly pushes the beer into being over-sweet; with the molasses, chocolate, vanilla, and some raisins, I'm a little taken aback with how saccharine it is. The finish tips it slightly toward balance by bringing in some oaky astringency and coffee, but it's fighting a losing slide into sweetness. Which is what you'd expect from the style, admittedly -- but it doesn't stand far above the middle.

M: Very smooth and creamy, and I'm reminded that this is the oatmeal contribution. Low-carbed, but it goes down with a velvety presence. A small booziness. Quite nice.

D: Independent of price, this isn't in the upper-tier of barrel-aged imperial stouts. At $17 a pop I'm just going to ignore it.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle purchased in 01/2010. Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Pours near black. Heavy. Minimal dark khaki head. No lacing. No carbonation. Still.

Smell: Vanilla, oak, toffee, and whiskey. Lingering boozy sweetness. Malts are deeply roasted. Lots of chocolate and old coffee. Sweet roasted malts. Whiskey adds a nice balance to some of the rougher edges I expect from BORIS. Mild smokiness in the back. Overall on the sweet side.

Taste: Roasted malts. Deep sweetness. Whiskey pushes some vanilla but loads of toffee. Slight acrid age. Minor smokiness. Age has mellowed everything out. Whiskey dominates some of the mellowed parts of the beer. Light caramel sweetness with some old coffee. Some char.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth. Barrel aging has dropped the carbonation to almost nothing. Body is medium, but feels a little thin from the barrel.

Overall: Better than the standard.

A notch up from standard BORIS thanks to the vanilla, oak, and toffee from the whiskey barrels. Other than that, it feels like the same beer. Nice use of whiskey barrels.

3.18/5  rDev -26%

Note - trying this after Baptist which was amazing.

As a comparison, this one struggles to hide the abv and barrel ageing. Much more obvious alcohol presence making the aroma and taste sharp and less luxurious. Drying and more astringent finish.

Not bad, but you're going to want to find a few more people to share with to end up with smaller samples.

3.11/5  rDev -27.7%

Thanks to sweemzander for busting this one out of the cellar for us to share.

Poured into my tulip the beer is pitch black with a modest mocha hued head. Tiny bits of soapy lace fight to stay on top of the beer.

The aroma is full on whiskey. It's hard to pick out the other smells with the whiskey so pronounced. After some warming i can pick out hints of chocolate and coffee. I'm not sure if it's the barrel but I'm getting a solid dose of play-doh. This totally throws me off.

The flavor is pretty much all whiskey all the time. Hints of sweet dark chocolate and roast coffee are present but they keep getting pushed aside by the damn whiskey.

Full viscous body with very light if any carbonation.

Overall this bottle has at least a year on it and yet it was hot as hell. Too much whiskey for my taste. I will have to let my bottle sit for another year or so.

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a finger of dark brown head over a thick pitch liquid. Smells clean oak wood, vanilla, bourbon, char, coffee, chocolate, toast, and mild caramel.

Tastes waxy oak with bourbon and strong vanilla. The creaminess and sweet chocolate of the regular version of this is absent, a real shame. This is an example of a good that became a lesser beer by time spent in a barrel. Coffee and very mild chocolate. Drying oak and strong bourbon finish rubs me a bit the wrong way. Thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Decent, but hard to finish my glass.

3.04/5  rDev -29.3%

3rd Batch: Green Cap

Appearance: Very viscous and dark. No head retention whatsoever. Although it has very light lacing.

Smell: Alcohol heat, Whisky, Oak, along with light notes of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla.

Taste: Huge notes of Whisky barrel, its almost overpowering. The whisky notes hide the faint echos of dark chocolate and mocha. I am unimpressed with the taste in this beer. I am not sure which barrels were used but it picked up a lot of the harshness from the barrel.

Mouthfeel: It has an amazing mouthfeel which fully coats the tongue and has a very rich thickness.

Overall: This beer was ok, I would prefer a regular BORIS and a DORIS to this one. I think if it sat on the barrels longer it would smooth out a bit better.

3.02/5  rDev -29.8%

I poured this stiff beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and poured a very thin head that vaporized quickly. Most likely from the high alcohol. There was more of a chocolate hit than coffee on this one but the hoppyness was too much. I don't want a hoppy stout and the alcohol burned up any great taste left on the palate.I will not buy again.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery