Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Reviews: 611 | Ratings: 2,343
4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been waiting to try this expensive but awesome looking beer for a while now. Finally found a night to do it, watching the Bruins kick the Flyers...I finally get to see if it's worth it.

A: Opens with a soft but distinct ppsssttt, but the heavy pour yields only a very small dark colored head that doesn't even cover the whole top. The beer itself is pitch black, blacker than deep space with some nice lookin legs on the sides of the glass.

N: I could smell the roast and chocolate on the pour. I dive in deeper battling back the urge to start drinking, and find the roast is not as much as I expected. It has some heavy roast but not loaded like some other RIS. The same can not be said for the chocolate, which is loaded. Lots of bakers chocolate, coco nibs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coco crispies the cereal, etc. There's quite a bit of bourbon and oak with that, with a little vanilla. And with that is some woody esthers, like fresh saw dust almost. Then more dark malts, some crystal and caramel aromas, and hints of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Not sure if I should attempt to taste or just keep enjoying the nose, but alas I gotta. I take a mouthful, and the coffee and roast is a lot more dominant now. Still not sure heavy but def lets you know its there. Its super rich and creamy, smooth, velvety, and... umm... rich. It's very thick and syrupy and has legs on my tongue even. Then comes the chocolate, which comes in waves and feels like it's melting in my mouth (not my hand luckily). As it warms in my mouth the chocolate turns from a creamy milk chocolate to a bakers and dark chocolate and fresh melted cocoa nibs. The literal feeling of it melting in my mouth as it warms is really cool. Luscious and rich, it adds more sweet dark malts, with dark crystal and some toasty flavors. More sweetness with caramel, molasses, and gallons of malts. Some bourbon cuts through all the heavy beer (if I can call it that). A little oak and wood with all that, and even hint of vanilla as it warms. A little bitterness coming from the roasted malts but they did a really good job of keeping the bitterness at bay compared to most super heavy RIS beers. A slight hint of warming booze and taste of it.

M: Must I say it again... oh why not cause its so great, super thick and luscious, creamy, smooth, heavy and super thick, but almost no carbonation.

F: Still a little bitterness but its very little comparatively. Still semi sweet from all the heavy malts, with more lingering brown sugar and molasses, as well as tons upon tons of malts. It just sticks all over the mouth and I can practically feel it slowly dripping down with legs, like used motor oil does slowly down the oil pan. Lots of lingering luscious chocolate as well, all kinds still. Almost no more roasted or coffee flavors, just more smooth dark malts and chocolate. WIth all that is hints of lingering vanilla and a little oak, but not really any bourbon anymore either. Hints of warming booze... wait, no... yeah! I do get a little coffee now. On another sip as it slowly thinned on my mouth and evaporated, or I mean slowly fell off, I got some more lingering coffee and roast, but then was gone again. Long stickiness too as it just coats everything with a probably 1030 gravity liquid of really heavy viscosity.

Overall an amazingly tasty beer, with great smoothness and mouth feel. Drinks like it is 9.4% (which it is), some really nice malt flavors and lots of chocolate, hints of roast. Could have used a little more of teh bourbon and oak flavors, and some carbonation. Otherwise one of my new fav stouts (not top, but up there, probably top 5).

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Black-really a very, very dark brown. Nice tight cocoa head on top. Sticky lacing on the glass as it goes down. Rich espresso aroma with a faint touch of oak-just enough to make it noticeable. Deep, rich and chocolatey flavors right upfront. Roasted and espresso like flavors. Slightly hot, boozey bite to it. Nice oak flavors in the backround. Velvety smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Really well done all in. Not as in your face oaked as many beers seem to be. Damn yummy.

Thanks RoyMunson.

Pours a dark, brownish black with a very tiny dark tan foam which leaves a thin crust behind. Pours fairly thick, though not a sludge machine like Dark Lord.

Smells faintly, very faintly, of bourbon, but mostly of mocha, chocolate, and vanilla. Mmmm..

Taste is surprisingly sweet, and mild on the bourbon. Clearly, these guys aren't of the "bourbon bomb" philosophy. The bourbon is understated and supporting, and there's both dark and milk chocolate along with a huge amount of vanilla, some sour oatmeal twangs, and a nice billowy dark sweet fruit background.

This is one delicious beer, I must say. It is not that thick, but it is perfectly carbonated.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this one up from Jason over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville...

I enjoyed this one on Halloween night while enjoying the original "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis and the awesome theme music....

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this beer is the epitome of Halloween midnight black... Completely void of any light.... Slowly forms a very thin and quickly fading mocha head... Then it just sits there.. Heavy and thick looking.. Excellent looking...

There's no mistaking the barrel aging here...huge aromas of the bourbon mix wonderfully with the deep dark roasted malts, the hints of sweet dark fruits, the delicate smoothness of the vanilla and the richness of the dark chocolate malts... This is powerfully enticing and addictive...the complexity added by the barrels really does this one justice... The bourbon aromas aren't overpowering at all; they lend an extra layer here not usually found in others...

An incredibly rich and thick chewy mouthfeel, unbelievably thick and creamy... The burn of the bourbon is smoothed out perfectly by the sweet dark chocolate roasted malts and vanilla flavors as well as the tinge of dark fruits...this one is really delicious... The alcohol makes a quick appearance on the finish reminding me to enjoy every delicious sip....

This is definitely one of the top 10 brews that I've ever had... A sipper, for sure.... A masterpiece...

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Thick black and brown with a nice frothy mocha head that dissipates into a ring fairly quickly. Good frothiness as you swirl, and nice (but not super sticky) lacing.

S: Roasted coffee, whiskey, chocolate

T: Tastes much more smooth and complex than it smells. It's like you're drinking an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that's been dipped in sweet mocha. Bitter dark chocolate and roasted coffee, with a strong but nicely balanced whiskey kick. Some hints of vanilla and cherry. Earthly woody oatmeal undertones. You have to look for the hops but they're there, rounding out the phenomenal complexity.

F: Very thick, creamy, and sticky. Like I said above, it's like a liquid version of an oatmeal chocolate cookie.

O: A GREAT barrel-aged stout. One of the most complex I've had. I'd put it up there with barrel-aged Dark Lord for complexity and enjoyment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of Auslander, thanks for this gem Chris! Pours motor oil viscous with a super small brown head. No retention and lacing, obviously.

Smells like Raisinettes soaked in vanilla vodka...in a good way. I only get light woodiness from the barrel treatment, but it smells better than regular B.O.R.I.S. me thinks.

I think the oatmeal smoothness and mouthfeel shines better here. A nice complimenting fruit/chocolate aspect that seems smoother than the regular and even the aged B.O.R.I.S. that is nicely balanced by a big, drying alcohol presence. The wood is nice, not overly bold, but adds a nice layer of depth. It seems the overall scores for the BAL and non-BAL are about the same, but I think the barrel aged version is slightly superior to the ‘aged’ offering. Tasty stuff here!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Darkest brown with a super creamy fudge colored head that melts slowly to a mocha skim and leaves sheets of tan lace on the glass. The aroma of roasted dark malt, anise and toasted bourbon barrel is really nice, I could smell this beer for hours but..on the the drink. Molten fudge, rum soaked raisin, molasses, cocoa, freshly roasted coffee and a fairly heavy handed hop dosage that struggles to get through. As the beer warms slightly, the flavors grow more complex with mascerated dark fruity and nutty flavors blending perfectly with toasted oak. Rich and full bodied with an especially velvety smoothness. This is a truly decadent stout and is the best beer I've had from the Frog (no DORIS yet). A world class stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is Batch 3, the green cap. It pours a medium bodied, silky smooth midnight black in color with a beige lacing around the rim of my snifter. The aromas are of sweet milk chocolate, lightly roasted coffee, with a soft sweet bourbon, vanilla finish. The bourbon is exceptionally well played at this point in it's aging. It actually smells very, very similar to KBS at this point. The flavor gets even better. It boasts both sweet and bitter chocolates, lightly roasted coffee, light oak, a touch of vanilla and a perfectly well rounded and soft bourbon note to finish. This beer is near perfect. I really can't believe how well blended everything is and how well the chocolate, coffee, and bourbon intermingle. It is exceptionally smooth and doesn't overly stick to the palate, yet leaves you with a touch of chocolate, rye, and light bourbon. This beer was near perfect! I highly recommend trying this one aged.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The record heat in GA this summer will not keep me from this beer! As I was digging through the cellar for something to try I saw the BA B.O.R.I.S. and decided it was due to time to open it. Right in line with the robust, regular B.O.R.I.S. it pours black as night, no light getting through this beer, it even looks thick! A gorgeous dense, tan head rests atop... a head this dense, of course, leaves tons of lacing on the glass as you sip & enjoy the beer. The aroma is a nicely balanced cornucopia of roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, whiskey, and a bit of alcohol esters. Unlike some BA stouts, the barrel aging seems to be right on here, and does not overtake the aroma. The flavor is an even more pronounced version of the aroma, the roasted malts are right alongside coffee flavors, but along with a rich, delicious chocolate characteristic. Again in the flavor, the vanilla & whiskey hints from the oak barrel are there to accompany the beer, not overtake, but it does have a bit of an alcoholic heat to it. Mouthfeel is everything I want in a big stout, rich, velvety, and creamy, just perfect. I must give credit to Hoppin' Frog on this beer, with so many BA beers hitting the market these days, this one is definitely a stand-out that uses the barrel aging process to add complexity to an already outstanding beer, not overtake it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to several trading partners for hooking me up with bottles of this sweet beer.
Pours a dark, oily black with just a few bubbles, no head.
Mild aromas of dark chocolate, banana, molasses, vanilla, slight oak.
Wow, this beer tastes much much better than the aroma - there are huge chocolate, vanilla, and oak flavors along with banana and a nice pepper spiciness (where is THAT coming from?). The bourbon barrels contributed perfectly to the base stout - it's not too overpowering like many bourbon barrel stouts. There's just a mild bourbon taste with really more vanilla and oak coming from the aging.
The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with an oiliness that coats the mouth. The carbonation level is perfect for the style.
Drinkability is surprisingly high - if I weren't sharing this bottle I could have polished off the 22 ounces easily.
Overall this is a fantastic bourbon barrel stout and one of my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

22 ounce bottle in a snifter. with a sliver cap.

A: black, creamy head, nice lace,

S: whisky, coffee,

T: wow, this is regular boris with a improved complexity, well done the whisky is spot on.

M: creamy, with amazing body.

D: went down smooth, liked it more than the regular one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours black as night with a one finger, creamy, chocolate head. Retention and lacing are phenomenal.

S- Scent is mostly of bourbon and heavy malts. Sweet oatmeal malt is present, but mutedly so. Chocolate and coffee flavors are prominent once you are past the bourbon flavor.

T- Starts off with a boozy, bourbon flavor. It is intermingled with the chocolate and coffee malts, which are the most prominent of the malt flavors. Hints of the oatmeal base are present, but barely noticeable. Finishes with a slight coffee malt bite and a stronger whiskey kick.

M- Heavy on the palate, but so, so smooth. The oatmeal base provides a smoothness that most barrel-aged imperials can’t compare with. Alcohol is a little strong for a 9.4% ABV stout.

O- Overall, this is a delicious beer. The barrel-aging adds a layer of complexity, but the bourbon can be a tad bit on the overwhelming side. I need to try the regular B.O.R.I.S.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

A barrel-aged version of my favorite stout? Sounds like I need to try this.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip black as black could be. The head is very small and light brown in color. It shrinks immediately to just a thin collar and some stray bubbles.

SMELL: Now that's nice. Everything you could ever want and more. Loads of chocolate mesh with intense vanilla joined with notes of coffee, caramel, oak, and then shot through with the piercing aroma of whiskey. Can I get this as an air freshener for my car?

TASTE: Starts off rich and luxurious with immense amounts of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. The whiskey flavor and bite starts to creep in across the palate before giving way on the finish. In its place, the coffee really intensifies and lasts roasty and nutty the entire way through.

MOUTHFEEL: Wonderfully milkshake-thick, which is ideal in my book. The carbonation is lower where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Fine for the style, and fine for a chilly afternoon like this one. It'll last a while for sure, but I have no problem drinking the whole bomber.

While certainly a VERY different beer than regular B.O.R.I.S., this one should be world class on its own merits. Definitely seek this one out, as it's one of the best barrel-aged stouts I've ever had.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing this brew at our tasting. This review is written from a group audio review that also included BuckyFresh and TCHopCraver.

BA B.O.R.I.S. poured your typical imperial stout deep dark brown. It seemed quit opaque and while it lacked much of a head, when swirled it had a pretty amazing mocha brown head.

The smell was AMAZING. This was probably one of the best smelling BA stouts I have ever sniffed. Plenty of bourbon whiskey notes, loads of vanilla, dark cocoa, oak, coffee and burnt wood. I realize an aroma cannot be creamy, but more than one person described it as being just that.

The taste did not disappoint either as we were treated to a taste sensation of rich dark cocoa, coffee, caramel, burnt wood, bourbon, vanilla, oak and some toasted marshmallow. The spirit flavors were a bit more muted in the flavor, which is something that I enjoyed.

The mouthfeel was also excellent with a medium body and a wonderful sweetness. The carbonation seems right on and the finish is well balanced with a nice amount of richness and char.

This has to be one of the most enjoyable BA stouts I have ever had. I think this bottle might have had some age on it (we could not find a date) which may have mellowed a bit of the whiskey and improved our ratings some. I have had normal Boris before and really liked it, so I guess it should not be a surprise that I enjoyed this one as well. I would definitely pick this one up if you find it on a shelf somewhere.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours black with a small frothy head. Light lacing.

S: Aromas of mocha, hazelnuts, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Full-flavored and a bit bitter. Earthy with prominent oak and vanilla flavors followed by coffee and bitter chocolate. Quite a lot of bourbon character.

M: Full-bodied with light carbonation. Sticky and dense.

D: Not quite as easy to drink as the regular BORIS; the bourbon is a bit too aggressive I think. With a year or two of aging, this one should be amazing.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review taken from notes a week ago(March 2013)

Got this filled off tap at Ashland Beverage Center(Ashland, Ky.). Poured into a 16 oz brown flip top growler. I'm assuming this is the most recent batch. Cool looking Frog Head tap handle. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - This thing is a wicked black with hints of dark brown painting the bottom corners. Rich medium brown head sits nicely on top. Bigger and fluffier than I expected. The black liquid produces a good bit of stick to the glass.

S - Black English malts with big whiffs of sweetness and some ridiculously crazy dark fruit. Good roastiness to the aroma with a woodiness that grabs you. Sweet caramel and vanilla like bourbon aroma. A small hint of licorice and spice. This is how a big stout is supposed to smell. Black and no nonsense.

T - big and bold alcohol flavors give off a nice complex flavor. Bourbon barrel goodness with sweet notes of caramel and vanilla. Thick molasses like within the sweetness. Roasted black malt and a touch of dark fruit. Black licorice and the hop spices balance the flavor.

M - pretty damn smooth for a stout of this size. I've read this stout was a bit thin, but I get nothing but a thick mouthfeel. Smooth and luscious. Goes down very nicely and I found it fairly easy to drink compared to some big stouts. But hey maybe it's just bc it came off tap. Idk.

O - Hoppin' Frog is a fine brewery and they have a stout thats as good as any I've ever had. With all the focus going to a certain well deserved Am Double Stout this time of year this thing was kind of just sitting there on tap getting no attention. Well, I'll tell you now, this thing will grab your attention and blow you away with its all business style. It has the quality to stand beside anything in the world. I've never had the standard Boris, but the barrel aged version is top shelf. I think they use Heaven Hill barrels. I'd like to know which specific bourbon was in those barrels. Regardless I'll buy this again if it's available. A fantastic experience. A fantastic stout.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

White top ('12) 22oz poured into softball sized snifter.

Poured with the thinnest of brown heads on top of deep black. No carbonation or lacing. Just what I was expecting.

All kinds of dark fruit aroma: plums and raisins. Maybe some brownie batter. When I first popped this I overlooked the tremendous oatmeal character. Just like how ginger ale's a little better with a dash of bourbon... you know what I'm talking about, same here. It's subtle but it rounds everything out.

Depth is the keyword on the taste. Starts a touch sweet, finishes perfectly bitter + dry. I get a little mineral content at first and then it reminds of of walking into a bakery: vanilla, coffee, cocoa being melted, (candied) dark fruits, oatmeal cookies, etc. There's a few bba stouts I've had that take me to "that place." This is definitely one of them.

It really sits perfectly on the palate. Extremely silky and creamy, much more so the the std BORIS. Just a touch of drying booze as it goes down.

Absolutely an awesome beer with tons of character and depth. The price point makes this a "once in a while" beer, but I kind of appreciate that model versus something like BCBS being unavailable 90% of the time. If you're reading this on a phone standing in an aisle, go for it, it's worth the money.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Jet Black. Certainly has the 'Motor Oil' look. Small bit of mocha colored head around rim. Thick and Frothy.

S - HUGE chocolate & carmel and whiskey. Wow does that smell excellent. That puts a smile on my face. Vanilla and oatmeal come thru next. Great sweetness.

T - Awesome chocolate whiskey. Carmel. Sweet initially, bitter finish. A taste that lingers for minutes after tasting.

M - Exactly the velvety thickness you hope for. flavor combine superbly.

O - Excellent. One of the best Stouts i've tasted to date.

22oz. bomber poured into tulip glasses:

A: Aggressive pour which created no head just a lace of mocha on the top. The beer itself....well if you close your eyes really tight, so that not even a sliver of light can get in, that's how dark this brew is. It most certainly looks viscous, and rich.

S: The nose on this one is robust black coffee, bitter sweet dark chocolate, with notes of vanilla and butterscotch. Then just a touch of whiskey towards the end.

T: The chocolate and coffee marries very well in this RIS, leaving you with a rich dark mocha flavor throughout the entire palate. Very bitter sweet, whiskey showing through near the finish. Leaving your mouth watering for more.

M: Heavy, viscous, and creamy just how we would expect a great RIS to be. Little to no carbonation, with a warming sensation from the alcohol in the chest.

D: Hoppin Frog did a great job on this one, it is definitely "Bodacious", and we will be purchasing more in the near future. We didn't want this bottle to end.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage - 25.3 Plato, 60 IBU

A good example of how barrel-aging can elevate an RIS.

Motor oil black body, very thick. 1-cm dark brown head that disappears within a minute or so.

A harmonious blend of dark bittersweet chocolate, real quality vanilla, complex whiskey, used characterful oak barrel, roasty malts, bitter coffee, and toasted coconut that perfectly meld with each other to create a wonderful drinking experience. Some alcohol hotness is sensed in the tummy, but it is not too hot when you sip it. Very smooth and rich with just enough sweetness where things don't become cloying. The hop bitterness helps in that regard.

Full-bodied mouthfeel. Probably my 2nd fav barrel aged whiskey stout other than Founders KBS.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised this beer does not show up in the top rated listings. I was most impressed. Poured a tarry black with a thin, milk-chocolate colored head, like the froth on a cup of hot chocolate. Mouthfeel had a bit of pleasant oilyness that balanced against the dense malt. Liquor notes were present but not overwhelming. ETOH was also evident, but also not out of balance and without heat. Overall, a well-crafted Russian Imperial Stout.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Green cap. Poured into a snifter.

A: BLACK, BLACK, BLACK! There is no seeing through this one. There's 1 finger of deep brown head that dissipates quickly. A layer of film clings to the glass with sparse lacing. I'm loving it!

N: Rich dark chocolate, vanilla, deep roasted barley, caramel, deep roasted almonds and only the faintest of bourbon and oak.

T: Rich dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, pecans and cherry cordial upfront. Mid-palate brings in deep roasted barley, coffee grounds, chocolate covered raisins, a hint of coconut and something slightly tangy...apricot? Finishes with dry oak, molasses, charred chocolate, notes of espresso, another layer of vanilla and the subtlest of sweet bourbon.

M: Medium bodied, silky, smooth, warming, sticky and dry.

O: Oh yeah...beautifully complex and has everything right going for it. Top notch Barrel Aged RIS! Incredibly smooth with no alcohol presence.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear pitch black with an abundant head, chocolate in color. Half inch of head sticks around pretty well to a thin cap on the beer, some spotty lacing stays behind. Simply put, this is what I think of when I think of what a RIS should look like.

S - Bigtime bourbon notes hit first, as you'd expect. Nice sweet/smoky booze, very enjoyable. Pick up plenty of vanilla as well, integrated with the deep roast backbone of this beer. Plenty of sweet chocolate as well, this is one happy smelling beer.

T - I'm not one that likes a deep roasted stout, and I feel the BA does a huge service to this beer. It integrates a solid, but bitter, beer in BORIS with the sweetness and other benefits of the BA to make a great beer. Sweet vanilla hits first, along with distinct oak. Then it blends with that deep roast, to tune it down a bit, and results in an awesome roasted flavors with plenty of depth to accompany the vanilla/oak tones. The booze on this one is fully integrated, never got any "hot" flavors, just moves along to the lighter chocolate tones and finish.

M - Quite good, thick and velvety as I'd want it in a big BA stout.

O - So happy to finally try this one. Kind of "meh" on BORIS, but the BA does so much for this beer and puts it into the exceptional category for me. Complexity, big flavors perfectly integrated, balance...it does everything well.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorites. Bottled 22oz into a DFH Chalice.

A - Perfect RIS appearance. Pitch black body with an amazingly dark brown head. Lasts forever.

S - Awesome bourbon notes with a backbone of roasted malts and coffee. Bourbon is complimentary and not overwhelming. Everything works together wonderfully.

T - Just like the aroma. Big bourbon and toffee notes with a roasted malt rear. Woodiness and oh-so-slight alcohol burn in the rear end. The bourbon notes are incredibly smooth in the taste.

M - Fantastic mouthfeel. Carbonated just right with a perfect mouth coating. This beer is effing huge. Thick, chewy and silky smooth.

O - One of my absolute favorite barrel aged stouts. Right up there with KBS for me, and more accessible. Expensive, but it makes up for it in quality and availability. Make the splurge and try it once. I guarantee you'll want more.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

Pours a very oily and thick velvety black color. There is a thin quarter inch brown head that is nice and dense but it recedes slowly. Amazing.

Great oat notes start things off. Nice and roasted. Amazing cocoa powder that is rich, sweet and slightly bitter is followed with some really nice barrel notes. The nice brown sugar and slightly caramel notes are so perfectly blended with the RIS roast and the chocolate notes. Amazing nose.

Flavor is quite similar to the nose. The barrel aging definitely adds a lot to BORIS. Very delicious roasted notes with cocoa from the base RIS. Nice dark malts with good milk chocolate sweetness and also some nice oat and grain notes. The whiskey notes are very nice and add some nice caramel and some dark fruit notes. Mouthfeel is very nice and slick. Oily, velvety ands soo smooth. Nice strong medium body. 9.4% what?! The carbonation is

Overall. As stated previously. I enjoy this BA BORIS better than the base but I still think that DORIS is top dog. It is still and amazing brew and one of the best RIS out there.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery