Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Ratings: 2,389 |  Reviews: 625
3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Consumed on 8/28/09 next to the regular version and poured into a snifter. Thanks Torry. The beer appears black with a light brown head, decent retention, and decent scattered lacing.

Whisky is immediately apparent and dominant in the nose. Vanilla and tannins are noticeable, as well as cherries. Rich chocolate is present in the background. The whisky is pervasive and seems to swallow up the other aromas.

The taste opens up with bitter chocolate and strong booze. The whisky takes over almost instantly and drowns out the chocolate and oatmeal I so enjoyed in the reguilar B.O.R.I.S. The beer is very sweet and boozy and it becomes cloying.

Barrel Aging has been detrimental to the mouthfeel of this beer. It comes off thin and watery and nowhere near as satisfying as the regular version.

This beer could use some time to mellow out as it's quite hot and boozy. It became a chore to drink near the end. The regular B.O.R.I.S. is clearly superior.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Poured at cellar temp.

A: Darker than black (possible?). Small traces of brown on the edges but not much. Pour came with about a half a fingers worth of mocha head that dissapated quickly.

S: Dark chocolate and bourbon where the first thing to hit my nose followed by oak, vanilla and alcohol. Roasted malts and barley as well as small traces of the oatmeal character from the non-barrel aged version. Some dark fruits are also present, but very small, trace amounts.

T: Bitter dark chocolate mixed with bourbon. The roast characteristics are playing nicely with the oak, vanilla and caramel notes. Slight booziness is adding something to the flavor, but im not quiet sure. Dark fruits (figs and currants) are there but in very small amounts

M: A very thick imperial but I think the booziness is hurting it here a little. Pretty good carbonation for a imperial.

O: This is a good imperial stout that can only improve with time. Would love to see what some cellaring could do for the booziness that is hurting the mouthfeel a little. Planning on revisiting this sucker a year or two down the road.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A - THICK. Very dark, only the faintest ruby highlights when held up to the light. Not much head but what's there has a somewhere between Coca-Cola foam and the bubbles blown in chocolate milk. Plenty of lacing considering how little initial head there was.

S - Oak and vanilla bourbon. A very sweet and tempting aroma. It smells exactly like you would expect a barrel aged beer to smell like.

T - The flavor is very similar to the aroma, but the vanilla is less pronounced. As it warms the oaky bourbon alcohol is almost harsh.

M - Lighter than I expected from the aroma and appearance. The beer hits the tongue and goes down the throat like silk, but could use a bit more body.

D - Something I would buy again. This is a very well executed beer. I very good Russian Imperial Stout, but not the greatest.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

This beer is super boozy.
It's quite viscous and thick and pours well, but this beer needs a lot of age before it becomes worthy of being a premium barrel aged stout. It tasted almost like I poured a swig whiskey into the regular BORIS, which is a great drink. I have a feeling in 2013, this drink is going to be awesome, wonder if I have the patience on my other bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

S: Very sweet chocolate with a prominent whiskey note. Vanilla wafers, somewhat malty, slight mocha notes.

L: Fairly syrupy, dark black, little to no head.

T: Sweet chocolate up front with a pleasant coffee notes. Whiskey sweetness follows. Low bitterness with additional milk chocolate and whiskey. Finishes with a touch of coffee flavor, minimal roast. Fairly sweet finish. A grainy note as it warms.

M: Medium bodied, slick, but not very heavy. Alcohol makes a presence. Low carbonation.

Really liked this iteration over the normal version. Solid stuff, but not quite great.

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard black pressure cap and appealing fun label acquired at a Binny's in Chicago and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its reputation and ratings, though I wasn't blown away by regular B.O.R.I.S. "Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels." 9.4% ABV confirmed. 60 IBU.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger rich dark tan colour head of nice cream, great thickness, and pretty good (4+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque; nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I dig the luscious head; it's quite appealing. Right on the money for the style, overall. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Whiskey is quite pungent here. Spicy hot whiskey, dark malts, cream, caramel, smooth oats, chocolate malt. The whiskey hides the oats; they were much more prominent in the non barrel aged variant. Woody barrel notes. Roast. Dark fruits - dark cherry, maybe some plum. Sweet, sticky. Vanilla. Not finding any coffee. An appealing aroma that adds a nice little something to the base beer with barrel aging. There's motivation for barrel aging here; I like it. I'm concerned about balance, but I'm looking forward to trying it. An aroma that isn't quite moderate in strength, but is well above average whilst retaining subtlety. Intriguing. I don't detect any yeast or hop character.

T: More sweet than anticipated. Not as hot as the aroma might suggest. Lots of chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, and a bit of cream round out the body. Subtle whiskey notes hang about in the background, surging through a bit more on the finish - which doesn't exactly encourage the next sip. Not as roasty as I'd like, but there is detectable roast - which is more than I can say about many inferior imperial stouts. No floral or yeast character comes through. The sweetness bothers me after a while and definitely reduces drinkability. The chocolate notes are a highlight. I want more of the starchy oats like in the regular BORIS. Dark fruits never quite hit home, instead adding unnecessary sweetness without any real vibrant flavour. It's decently balanced, but its failure to emphasize any of its notes makes it come off a bit muted - or at least timid. The whiskey aging here is well executed, but there's an intrinsic heat to the whiskey. Little oak comes through but I do get some vanilla. A dash of spiciness from the whiskey. It's a tasty little stout, and I can see why it might have been the dog's bollocks in 2008.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sticky. Rolling oats add a nice smoothness without being too slick. Good carbonation. Nicely thick. Nice creaminess; it could do with more. Good body.

Dr: Drinkable in spite of its slightly present ABV. I've certainly had higher ABV stouts that hid their alcohol better. It's a sipper, but that's to be expected. I probably wouldn't bother with it in spite of its quality simply because while it's good, it's not exceptional. And at this price point, I can definitely get an exceptional stout. I look forward to trying more beers from Hoppin' Frog, but this didn't blow me away. I wouldn't mind trying it aged. I'd like to see them amp up the roast and amp up the oats. In my opinion, the oats are what set this imperial stout apart.

High B

Gets better as it warms.

3.72/5  rDev -12.7%

Batch 3 - Green Cap - Oct 2009. 22 oz bomber into a brandy snifter.

A - Pitch black body with a one finger high dark mocha head. The head has an almost red tint to it. Moderate lacing with low retention, the foam drops off the sides really quickly.

S - Super rich and decadent. A pleasant mix of roasted malts, vanilla, char, bananas, caramelized brown sugar and raisins. Very bourbon heavy with some alcohol present. Excellent.

T - Roasty malts followed by some candied figs, bananas, and liquorice. Finishes with smooth milk chocolate and bourbon notes of vanilla, oak, and toffee. Alcohol is a bit harsh and it leaves an odd roasty bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouth feel is medium bodied with decent carbonation.

O - One of the better shelf B/A stouts out there, but its a bit too boozy and sweet even with age on it.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

22 Oz. bottle. Red cap

A- I loved the appearance. Some people don't enjoy a dark ale with very little head, but I think it is an excellent and intriguing appearance. Certainly looks great in a like clear glass.

S- Strong alcohol smell, but it is what you would expect from a 9.4% abv.

T- Very strong taste. Best enjoyed by sipping slowly.

M- So strong that it doesn't sit smoothly.

D- See mouthfeel comment.

I really enjoyed this beer but it was very strong. I am usually a pretty fast drinker, but it took me about an hour to down this one.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of rich roasted malt, bourbon, bitter chocolate, and chocolate fudge. Flavor is bourbony upfront with a chocolatey finish. Mellow (alcohol-wise) for a barrel aged beer, which I appreciate, but I still think I prefer the original (??). Good beer still!

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery