Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
4.3/5
Outstanding

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States
hoppinfrog.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

#542

Ratings: 2,398 |  Reviews: 625

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle opened for Game 1 of the Bruins playoffs. Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass and sipped throughout the game. Batch 5, Red Cap.

Appearance: Dark brown to black in color. Not much head on the pour and no retention.

Aroma: Really deep roasted notes, a touch of whiskey, espresso, and dark cherries. The char and roasted malt notes are almost too overpowering. I was expecting a lot higher level of sweetness.

Taste: The burnt, roasted character is definitely strong here too. I am finding it a bit too bitter to really enjoy. Whiskey notes are definitely present, but really light. And there is the cherry note again. It's actually really heavy and functions as the only really sweeet counterpoint to the char. It doesn't mix great with the rest of the notes though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch chewy. A bit thiner than I would like from a barrel aged stout.

Overall, an interesting barrel aged stout, but fell way short of my expectations. The price tag didn't help either. The cherry note just didn't match eerything else for me and the smoke and roasted malt notes were bitter and unpleasant at times. Not a bad beer, but definitely on the lower end of the spectrum for the style (barrel aged stout) and way too pricey. Will not buy again.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: Black with ruby highlights. I always think these oatmeal beers look oatmeal-y (I look for chunks every time), but I doubt they really do. Decent cappuccino head.

Smell: Big roast malt, caramelized/burnt sugar, cocoa, vanilla, fudge coffee.

Taste: Molasses, roast malt, chocolate, fudge, espresso, vanilla, coconut. Not nearly enough bourbon. A few plums and dark berries as well.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and thick.

Drinkability: Average for the style. I was not particularly impressed by this one.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery