Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

Reviews: 613 | Ratings: 2,351
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle poured into snifter

Pours a dark black with a slight brownish head that disappears quickly.

Smell is slightly sweet with some hints of bourbon.

Taste is dominated by the bourbon. Slight hints of vanilla with some sweetness.

Good bourbon flavor that mellows out a bit as the beer warms up. Nice to have another bourbon barrel as it is almost impossible to get BCS in my neck of the woods.

3.66/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Huge props to mwa423 for the FREE pour. Pours motor oil black and extremely thick with almsot no head at all. What head there is comes out a light brown. The aroma is a lot of malt and a lot of coffee. Not as sweet as I'd expected. The taste is way more coffee than I expected. For being barrel-aged it doesn't have near the whiskey aroma or taste that I expected. The mouthfeel is very thick, even for a 9.4% beer. all in all I'd say I'm dissapointed. For something this higly rated I'm dissapointed.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This bottle had a gold cap. I'm assuming that's from a later batch than what's listed here in the info section.

Appearance - Poured into my Stone IRS balloon/snifter glass. The head on this one is miniscule, not even half a finger high, and mocha brown in color. Low head is to be expected from the alcohol and barrel aging. Lacing is also very little. Color of the brew is black as the night sky when the moon and stars are hidden from sight behind dark clouds.

Smell - Up front, I'm getting mostly wonderful Bourbon aromas. Straight Bourbon smell that's quite noticeable and enjoyable (to me) but not overpowering, smooth vanilla, oak/wood, subtle Bourbon spice/alcohol, brown sugar, and sweetness. Behind that I get some rich chocolate syrup and dark chocolate, plenty of roasted malts, coffee notes, bittersweet overtones, and pleasant notes of dark fruit. Aroma is pretty complex overall, but I would say it's dominated by the Bourbon barrel aging. I find it wonderful, others might not.

Taste - This is a great tasting beer in my opinion! Plenty of the Bourbon flavor (but not too much), vanilla and what I can only describe as the taste of marshmallows, sweetness, brown sugar, a bit of spice from the Bourbon and from the alcohol, oakiness, chocolate syrup taste (in a good way) like in the nose, coffee, rich roasted malts, a bittersweet quality (that's towards the finish), and notes of dark fruits. Bourbon barrel aging is still the star here (and I like it).

Mouthfeel - Creamy and luscious consistency. Carbonation is pretty light. Body is closer to full. The finish is actually pretty smooth and medium length. Nicely done mouthfeel as well.

Overall - If you're a fan of subtler Bourbon barrel aging in beers, this one might turn you off a bit. I think it's pretty darn amazing. And it's not too overpowering, but it is nice and prominent. I don't know what it is about those Bourbon barrels, but I love my stouts to be aged in them. I'm honestly not even much of a Bourbon drinker, but I love the aroma of straight Bourbon and what the barrels can do to some good beer. I've heard or seen a few people compare this to BCBS, so I'm quietly looking forward to trying that as I've gotten some recently from some very generous people. And speaking of one of those generous persons, thanks SO much Tom/trxxpaxxs for this bottle of Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. (among other things) in the NOOB BIF Round 5! REALLY appreciate it Tom!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a murky black body with a tan sexy head! I love the look of a stout like this.

immediately smells of cococa, coffee, and whiskey fill the air.

the taste is hot with tastes ala the smell. I will say however the whiskey is def there and more notable than any other BA brew ive had before!

Very drinkable for the ABV but this brew puts a hurt on ones wallet at 18 bucks.

Overall a very good beer but I'll let my other bottle sit for a while.

NOTE: the day after I had a terrible headache. This was the ONLY beer I had consumed that night!

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Batch 1 from the brewery, reviewed from notes. Thanks to Seth for hooking this one up a while back.

A- Pure black, with a dark chocolatey colored head. The head falls of quickly, and there is no lacing at all.

S- Smeet and boozy. Some notes of vanilla, oak and booze, but really nothing crazy.

T- Nice and sweet. I get notes of chocolate and coffee primarily. Some hits of whiskey/oak but the booziness is the most noticeable addition.

M- Thinner and lighter than I remember regular BORIS being. Good carbonation though, and good flavor.

D-It was quite smooth, and easy to drink. Definitely didn't seem like a 9.5% beer.

The light mouthfeel and lack of barrel character were somewhat dissappointing. Not bad, but I prefer regular BORIS.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: Pours virtually pitch black. A force pour yielded barely a half-finger of dark, dark mocha head, with virtually no retention. Minimal lacing. If this beer had any head retention whatsoever, it would look just about perfect.

Smell: Bourbon, soy sauce, chocolate. Some alcohol. Surprisingly muted, overall.

Taste: Bourbon is the dominant flavor, but it blends well with chocolatey, sweet malts. A slightly unpleasant soy sauce-like flavor is hidden in there, but its mild. No hiding the alcohol in this one, and actually tastes boozier than the 9.4%. There is almost a sour note that comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Incredibly thick and creamy, and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: A definite sipper, and one that would be better to split with a friend. I like bourbon-barrel aged beers, but this is one where i like the original better - especially considering how exceptional normal B.O.R.I.S. is.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Gold cap version. Poured at cellar temperature into my Founder's snifter.

A: Deep, dense, dark chocolately brown. No light gets through. Thick, khaki colored head. Some lacing.

S: Chocolate sweetness with slight alcoholic overtones.

T: I immediately notice that this one lacks the strong whiskey overtones in the taste that I have come to love from many other highly rated BA stouts. Not terribly different than your standard oatmeal stout.

M: Heavy bodied. Medium carbonation. This one is missing the sweet, syrupy stickiness I love from BA stouts.

O: A very good stout, however it just does not stack up against the best.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sampled December 2015 from 22oz bottle in pint glass. Sampled side-by-side with BORIS The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Appearance: Pitch black, dark color, with a nice dark tan head. The head lasted a long time. Same as BORIS The Crusher.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong coffee aromas. Some hops in the aroma, as well as a sweetness from the oatmeal as well. The is a little edge that may be due to the barrel aging, that is not in the BORIS The Crusher. Nice combination and balance between the hops, oatmeal, and the malts.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt and hops. There is a hint of sweetness that may be due to the oats, but it has an excellent taste. There is also a very slight vanilla flavor with this. I don't know if it is due to barrel aging, but I do not get that flavor from the BORIS The Crusher. This vanilla flavor is very slight and does not detract from the other flavors, nor does it make the overall taste too sweet. The alcohol flavor is slightly stronger than BORIS The Crusher. The combination of strong hops and roasted malts and strong alcohol give this drink powerful flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy, probably due to the oatmeal. Strong alcohol which matches with the 9.4% on the label.

Overall: This was the first time I tried thbarrel-aged version of BORIS, but it is the third time I have tried BORIS The Crusher. I love both of these beers it. Overall this is an excellent stout. I enjoy both BORIS recipes, and like the added edge and flavors that the barrel aging adds. I will definitely look for this and buy it again.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

bottle courtesy of photomike

S: chocolate, vanilla, some light booze

A: Dark brn w/purple tinge. Minimal head

T: Same as smell but w/roastiness and booziness. Fruitiness gone, whiskey, Bitter burnt finish.

M: Medium. Not as smooth as regular BORIS

D: Drinkability is ok, but some boozey presence and not really smooth with the burntness, booze, and oak popping out in places.

Overall: tried next to regular BORIS, I preferred the regular version just a bit.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter...

A--BLACK. Head is limited but good looking brew.

S--Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. It is barrel aged, and you can tell in a big way with this brew.

T--Bourbon comes on strong in this one just as it did in the nose, you better like the it strong, or this will be over the top.

M--Silky smooth feel to this one.

D--Heavy, I would have trouble drinking a whole bottle myself, but I am going to have at it. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Superb beer! A beautiful blend of flavors ... no particular taste screams out ... nicely done, Hoppin' Frog! It pours deep black ... probably the darkest beer I've ever encountered. The hops provide a nice, delicate finish to each mouthful. Everything you'd expect from an Imperial Stout and more!!

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into big glass.

Appearance: Dark, thick - motor oil comes to mind - liquid which leads to a deep mocha colored head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing along the side of the glass. Holding this sucker up to the light, I can't tell if there are any bubbles because it's so dark.

Smell: Oh man. This reminds me a lot of BCBS at first sniff. Very bourbon-heavy, but lots of vanilla and caramel notes as well. Pretty complex nose overall. If this tastes even close to how it smells... I'm going to be in for a GREAT night.

Taste: Holllyyy bourbon, Batman. This has got quite the punch to it up-front! Definitely get the alcohol screaming through in this one, but it doesn't overpower the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/oat notes that persist as I drink this baby.

Mouthfeel: Has a little bit of a lingering bitterness to it. Not an alcohol or bourbon aftertaste, but more of a coffee taste. Very viscous in the mouth, but clean as it goes down. Pretty impressive.

Overall: I'd consider getting one of these bad boys to age, but as others have noted... it's pricey ($17 for a 22oz bottle at Ray's). I may have to get it next time I run to either Woodman's or DiscLiq, since I think it's cheaper there. Definitely interested in seeing how this ages, though, and how that bourbon-forward taste evolves.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Body is black as black can get. The head was a nice cocoa but didn't last very long. Lacing is very sticky. Plenty of chocolate and whisky in the nose. I also gets hints of cherry, molasses and vanilla. The bourbon is not overpowering in the least which is great. The whiskey is quite prominent in the taste along with the sweet graininess of the oatmeal. Dark raisiny chocolate is also strong. Carbonation is nicely toned down with barely a hint of alcohol warmth. One of the fewer barrel aged stouts I had and it doesn't fail to impress. Not quite up to KBS and BCS standards but it is getting very close.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

3rd Batch: Green Cap

Appearance: Very viscous and dark. No head retention whatsoever. Although it has very light lacing.

Smell: Alcohol heat, Whisky, Oak, along with light notes of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla.

Taste: Huge notes of Whisky barrel, its almost overpowering. The whisky notes hide the faint echos of dark chocolate and mocha. I am unimpressed with the taste in this beer. I am not sure which barrels were used but it picked up a lot of the harshness from the barrel.

Mouthfeel: It has an amazing mouthfeel which fully coats the tongue and has a very rich thickness.

Overall: This beer was ok, I would prefer a regular BORIS and a DORIS to this one. I think if it sat on the barrels longer it would smooth out a bit better.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours an inky black with an obvious thickness. Minimal head at pour but all carbonation disappears after a minute or two. The nose at first is vanilla and bourbon with a noticeable alcohol. Again, waiting a bit the alcohol clears and makes room for some toasted malts. The flavor is divine. This thing is all bourbon and vanilla on the tongue. An touch of alcohol bite warms the mouth and the flavors linger like custard. The mouthfeel is medium-thick and very pleasant. This is one of the best balanced barrel aged stouts I've had, and has one of the most complete flavor profiles.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This brew poured a dark, pitch black color. It shows bits of dark brown highlights. It had a nice ¼ in cap that was nice bubbly brown color, that falls to a nice foamy ring. A nice, spotted lacing remains.

The aroma on this one is a nice punch of sweetness. There is a nice dark chocolate, cocoa aroma at the front, with a hint of vanilla as it sits for a few minutes. The end of this brew has bit of a coffee touch and a nice hit of bourbon on the end aroma nodes.

Wow! This brew packs a punch when you take the first sip of this brew. There is a whole lot of complexity in this brew. It starts with a sweet, rich chocolate flavor that sinks into a nice, mild, but warming bourbon flavor. It then follows with some great flavors in the taste buds, such as coffee, vanilla, caramel, and more. Giving it a nice sweet flavor. But as it sits, the dark roasted flavors and even some espresso flavors hit and balance this brew out.

This brew is a nice full bodied brew, with a little, but nice amount of carbonation. As listed in the flavor, the alcohol warmth comes up and gives this brew a bit in the mouthful. It is overall smooth, and has a nice oily character.

This was a very smooth brew. The barrel aging on this brew, was done very well. Its not over done, and still has great flavors and complexity. This was a great pick up, and I will surely have to seek more Hoppin Frog Brews. Thanks Keith.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured black with a solid chocolate head. The head fell to a respectable skim for the duration with minimal lacing.

S: Bourbon jumps right out with a good sampling of vanilla sweetness. Enough roasted malt with chocolate and a bit of smoke.

T: Vanilla and charred oak out of the gate flow nicely into a solid roasted malt profile with dark flavors of chocolate, smoke and maybe a little burnt molasses. Its like oatmeal by the campfire. The bourbon starts light and early and waxes then wanes as the drink finishes. The finish is dark and clean with a hint of oats and raisin.

M: Seems a bit thin for the brew. It surprised me, but the feel was velvety and medium.

O: Great beer with a lot of the dark roasty notes that I like paired with bourbon barrel aging. Happy to drink it again and again. Think it would fair well head to head against some bigger name brews.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

1st Batch. Bomber into a pint.

A - Pours black with a half inch mocha head that faded to a whispy layer and ring around. No real lacing.

S - Dark malts, dark fruit, vanilla hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla and mild bourbon. Some warmth in the finish.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation. Bourbon is not to heavy, pretty well done.

D - Pretty good for the ABV

3.96/5  rDev -7%

I've received a couple of these bottles. I forget who gave me the first one, but this one was from Hayesez. Thanks, Erik!

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A - Pitch black with just the faintest of red hues on the edge as I hold my glass to the light. About a half finger width of mocha colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on my glass, though the head doesn't last very long.

S - Chocolate, a touch of otameal, some whiskey, and something a little weird on the finish. I can't tell if it's like a light rubber (think new tires in a tire shop) or new car smell. It's faint, but it's there. I'd like more whiskey, barrel, and more stout characteristics to come through

T - Huh. Uhm, some oatmel stout characteristics. Roast, hints of oatmeal, dark chocolates. And then that weird thing I smelled is present in the taste. I can't place what it is, but it just kind of tastes...well, off. Aha! It's like a cheap vodka taste that comes through in a vodka cran. It's a harsh boozy taste. I like my beer with a bite, but not a cheap alcohol tasting bite. We'll see how this does as it warms up.

M - Creamy, heavy body, minimal carbonation. This is just about where it should be.

D - I'll finish the bomber no problem, though I remembered my first bottle being a lot better. This one is just harsh, not smooth. Maybe I need to try another to give it one last fair shot.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Pours a dark black color with hardly any head at all. A tan, caramel color froth was thin and only covered 1/4 of the glass. A very thin ring of lacing remains.

S - Bodacious bourbon and booze scents with notes of fig & raisin. Very pleasant.

T - Wow. Incredible taste. Bourbon and booze for sure but the booze was not overpowering. Some dark chocolate, figs, and a creamy coffee taste as well. Just a great mixture of flavors here.

M - Smooth with mild/medium carbonation. Coats the tongue and mouth well but doesn't stick. Just leaves a tease of flavors after consumption.

O - An awesome stout. Highly recommend this frog brew.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature Snifter

Pours with very little head. What’s here is medium dark. Rapidly diminishes to nothing. You can repeat the process with a swirl of the glass. Surprisingly there is a little lace, though short lived.
Pitch black color.

The aroma hits you first with deep rich malt, followed by some dark chocolate and light Bourbon notes with some vanilla scented wood. Hints of dark yeasty bread and as this stout warms a little alcohol kicks in. Lasts. Enjoyable.

Crisp entry on the palate of delicious, viscous, extraordinarily rich malt, followed by vanilla, medium intense mouth drying wood, very distinct exceptionally rich dark unsweetened chocolate and cocoa. As this stout warms, a bit of the alcohol comes out, which I personally find very enjoyable. Very full mouth feel, with excellent acidity and fine carbonation. The flavor is very well balanced. Exceptional flavor profile.

Long, dry, wood influenced finish. Rich malts and dark chocolate that last forever. The dark chocolate sticks to your mouth like glue. Let’s say it again, viscous!

A very delicious and warming stout. Unbelievably rich!
The barrel ageing seems a little light to me but my tastes do lean towards aggressive wood.
That being said this is an extraordinarily rich brew on the palate with an exceptional finish.
Ridiculously expensive in my area at $22 a bomber, but it was worth trying one.
Recommended, and highly recommended if you can find it at a decent price.

After reading the other posts I have to mention that my bottle also had a "gold" cap, which means what?

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

22 oz bomber poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip. This one comes from my good friend and great BA TimKahl, thanks tim! Gold cap, no visible bottle date.

A- Pours a jet black, thick, viscous liquid that seems to gloop into the glass. Not the thickest stout ive had, but damn thick nonetheless. Small half finger dark mocha head sits atop the black-hole-dark beer in my glass. Head disappears into the beer leaving behind little blotches of carbonation reminiscent of spotty clouds on a clear day. Gosh damn if this isnt an attractive looking beer.

S- I feel as if my nose was just raped, and the culprit... is bourbon. The barrel aged whiskey absolutely dominates the nose on this one. The chocolate starts coming out as well as the coffee. More oak and bourbon, almost smells as if it could have been overdone...

T- Sweet on the palate, really bourbon forward. As the beer warms, the slew of delicious imperial stout flavors shine through. Chocolate, coffee, malts, toffee, sweet cream, caramel, more chocolate, sweet coffee notes, this is crazy... More oak notes, a nice bitterness to it. Sweet but not overdone, great balance.

M- Thick and lighter on the carbonation but right where i like my stouts. (Note: I constantly swirled my glass to rouse up a head and kill out the carbonation a little bit.)

O- I am fully impressed with this offering. The bourbon, for me, was a tiny bit overdone. I think a barrel aged stout should add some good oak and bourbon flavors, not completely mask the beer. Overall a fantastic BA imperial stout and is far above average. A great end to a shitty day.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

The pour is a classic: as black as the Dell I'm typing on, with no ruby highlights to speak of. Some minimal mocha bubbling makes a desperate stab at forming a head, but that fool's errand ends quickly as the light foam rapidly disintigrates to a few token wisps.

The smell is going to please those anticipating that a bit of Kentucky flavor will cross the Ohio border: Rich bourbon / vanilla notes take the lead, relegating the coffee and chocolate to a supporting role. Mouthfeel is as you would expect from a good RIS: thick and full-bodied, but not syrupy. The oatmeal gives this a velvety smoothness that I'm especially fond of.

The beer delivers on its promise: it is definitely bourbon-forward with some medium alcohol heat and vanilla / caramel flavors apparent from the get-go. Not as much pure bourbon as GI BCS, but more than enough to please those who store a low-ball next to their pint glasses. The sweetness does not become overpowering as it's balanced nicely by the requisite mocha flavors: chocolate and dark roast coffee. However, what's nice about this RIS is that it's not all about the bourbon or char. There is a complex array of deep fruit notes here: Black currants, plum and fig. To give you an idea of how this all blends, think bourbon-aged, milk-chocolate raisenettes. The alcohol could use just a bit of taming and keeps this from being as drinkable as some other offerings in the style. Just a year or two of aging could turn this impressive offering into one of the leaders of the impy pack.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Pour really thick like black oil in to the glass with a nice tan head.

Smell - whiskey, chocolate, vanilla, and hint of alcohol.very nice!

Taste - strong whiskey in the beginning with tons of chocolate, vanilla from the barrel in the middle and it ends with a finish of more vanilla and barrel taste. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very smooth thanks to the oatmeal in this. I've found that to in the case in all oatmeal stouts over had. The carbonation hits towards the end of this one.

Overall - its super solid with all the taste of a good barrel aged brew without any flavors that overpower but works together really well.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Gold cap poured into a Town Hall brewery globe on 6/26/11.

Pours like motor oil with a 2 finger mocha colored head that dissipates leaving no lacing. There is a nice brown resin on the glass but I would have like to see more lacing.

Smells of tons of chocolate and a little coffee. I thought this was supposed to be a beer aged in whiskey barrels... I don't smell any of that.

Taste has a lot more whiskey taste to it. Again lots of chocolate and a hint of coffee. The taste is tons better then the smell. Great job.

Mouthfeel is medium. Not a lot of carbonation and the booze is totally covered by the taste. No bite at all.

Overall this is a great brew. I would like some more lacing and the barrel aging doesn't really come through in the aroma but this is still a top brew. Reminds me of KBS.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery