Frosted Frog Christmas Ale | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Reviews by buschbeer:
4.24/5  rDev +14%

22 ounce bottle
Served in a tumbler

A - It is a dirty red color. I got an inch of tan head that didn't stick around long.

S - It smells like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it smells like cinnamon sugar. I want a candle that smells like this!

T - I taste a lot of cinnamon. The other Christmas flavors are there, too, clove, etc.

M - Moderate

O - The aroma and flavor of this beer are huge. I loved the smell, but the cinnamon flavor was almost overwhelming.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

This is normally NOT my kind of beer. I don't like gingerbread cookies or cinnamon in my beer...but this was just the right amount of both. It was fantastic, and I would gladly order it again!

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If you are not into spiced beers, stop reading now. This Is not the beer for you. If, however, you enjoy a nicely sweet holiday ale with a high enough ABV to warm you on a cold night, this is a good one. I poured this into a standard pint glass. The fizzy beige head dissipated quickly, leaving a trace of foam atop the dark reddish brown body. Cinnamon and ginger dominated the taste, leaving a very pleasant sweetness behind. It had a rich, semi-thick mouthfeel. This functions nicely as a dessert beer, or as an evening sipper. I'm planning on picking up a couple more of these.

3.31/5  rDev -11%

Poured into an imperial pint glass a nice deep garnet color with well defined half finger off white head atop,good richness and definition to the color.Aromas of cinnamon and clove mainly,I could tell right away this was gonna be a more heavily spiced winter warmer.Heavy cinnamon,clove,and nutmeg on the palate,not crazy sweet just spiced to the hilt,some faint toastiness underneath the spice does come thru after awhile as well some alcohol sweetness.Much like their pumpkin ale the winter warmer is too spiced up,I do like this better than the pumpkin beer but it's still not great by any means.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.55/5  rDev -58.3%

Black/brown with basically no head, lacing is visible. For such a dark-colored beer, the liquid is completely transparent. Aside from a wee bit of lacing, this brew looks totally unimpressive.

The nose is straight nutmeg--like overpowering, obnoxious piles of nutmeg. There might also be some ginger, perhaps some cinnamon, and maybe even a tad bit of spruce pine. My descriptors sound better than it smells, as the nutmeg really predominates. I knew a guy in high school that ate nutmeg to get high (apparently it contains some sort of psychoactive), and this beverage reminds me of him.

If I were to liquify a Yankee Candle and drink it, this is what I think it would taste like. It's so flavorful it's disgusting. Other than biting a flavored candle, I don't know what else to compare it to...maybe eating evergreen needles. The Christmas input is definitely there, but obnoxiously so. This liquid is so thick and messy that I will probably pour it. I jokingly offer that it might clog my Dispose-all.

I take another sip just to judge mouthfeel: thankfully, this beer is cold enough that it probably inhibits some flavor. It feels like old candy. It's sweet and [evergreen] piney, with a dose of Christmas bread-spice. It's the egg nog of beers. Do you want to drink a bunch of egg nog?

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks to Travita for sharing this bottle. The beer pours medium brown with an off-white head. The aroma is strong gingerbread cookies. The aroma is very spicy, it smells like Christmas. The flavor is more gingerbread with some great cookie flavored malt. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Not sure how they did it, but they made a beer taste exactly like you are eating gingerbread cookies. Very happy I got to try this one.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

2.32/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle

Palmer's Beverage Center
Columbus, OH

Ruby red and crimson with a thin head and nearly no lace left down the glass.

This beer certainly smells like Christmas. Aromas of spiced fruit cake, a huge amount of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg make for a big, appropriately holiday, aroma.

The beer's flavor is simply too much...too much cinnamon! There isn't much left here to taste but cinnamon, as it sort of burns and scorches your tongue. I can't help but think of YouTube videos of people trying to swallow spoonfuls of cinnamon as I drink this beer (that is, I try to drink this beer). It's almost undrinkable.

Medium bodied with a ton of carbonation. The incredibly high level of carbonation mixed with the incredibly strong, dominating cinnamon flavor makes this one tough to drink.

I won't have this beer again or recommend this beer to anyone.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had to plug the opening with my thumb and shake it up a bit to develop a nice two finger sized head. Pours with a deep ruby mahogany brown hue with khaki tan head forming with slow gurgling bubbles. Fine speckled lacing layers itself pretty evenly between sips, pretty attractive winter warmer meant for my Piraat chalice. Aromatics deep pie spice including cinnamon ginger and nutmeg with a slight citrus orange peel finish. Caramel sweetness is detected easily with minimal well hidden booze in trace amounts across my nares. The flavor is more pie spicing with caramel mild chocolate brown sugar glazed custard creamy tones. A touch of citrus amongst the nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon this is actually pretty damn enjoyable, I have to admit the first few sips I felt were cloying until my palate adjusted and I let it warm up a bit. Mouthfeel has a very balanced carbonation level rides smooth carrying spices and a creamy textured body without difficulty fuller bodied slow steady finish of alcohol burn that is really hidden compared to most of the winter ales available these days. Drinkability overall this one is a bit festive and after working 12 hours on Christmas day there's no better way to celebrate the beginning of a long weekend then by sipping on a fine spiced winter warmer out of Akron, OH. Amen, Halleleujgah, Wassail, WTF!

4.88/5  rDev +31.2%

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer is a deep amber-orange color with a bit of clarity to it and no lack of activity. A soft light orange head develops to nearly two fingers in height and manages to retain itself well and leave good, patchy lacing in its wake.
Right away I can tell this is one of the more heavily spiced Winter Warmers out there. I like the spicing and the whole tasty concept of the style, but the ones that get a little too heavy-handed in the spicing lose a lot of underlying flavors and any subtlety is completely lost. While I appreciate the heavy cinnamon and nutmeg, it's a bit difficult to find much of anything else going on. The malts do seem strong, and I get some caramel and breads along with a bit of herbal hops balance, but even that is difficult to pull out. It does show a very solid base beer, though.
The flavor is problematic because even the balance of hops and malts is lost with the spicing in the flavor as everything gets muddled. This is one of those examples of a brewer going over the top and losing complexity, balance, etc.
The mouthfeel isn't bad, smooth and chewy with ample carbonation in a medium body but just a bit too much bite.

Frosted Frog Christmas Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery