Frosted Frog Christmas Ale | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

3.74/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Picked this up for 6 bucks at Giant Eagle on RT 8.

A - Nice to see this winter seasonal has held up well mild carbonation bubbles with a 1/4 inch of mocha head with decent lace. Color is a respectable deep amber brown.
S - Surprise! It's full of ginger and nutmeg... eh I expected so much but I am intrigued! I also get some molasses (like a gingerbread cookie) and some roast. No hops to speak of.
T - Chewy is my first thought then the malt kicks in with the hops and molasses to taste. Ginger really makes this very drinkable (as all ginger beers do) with a bit of caramel soaked bunt cake in the finish.
M - Serving this kind of warm I am surprised the ABV hasn't shown me much alcohol in the taste. Drinks with a medium body and slightly slick.
Overall I feel this beer is great even two months old! Quite a great winter warmer indeed even more so at 6 bucks a bomber!

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Arrived with an amber body and a very thin head which quickly disappeared. Taste and aroma highlighted holiday spices (cinnamon stood out to me); hints of peppermint. The body was medium with a smooth, even bitterness throughout.

I have to thank my friend Rick for buying this beer for me in a bar near Akron, Ohio, especially since we didn't know it was $15.00 for a tap beer (the few Hoppin' Frog bombers I find in Colorado also cost around this price-point!). Anyway, it was a fine tasting Xmas ale although there are others out there that I find more evenly balanced (i.e., Great Lakes "Winter Ale" and Anchor Steam "Christmas Ale") and way less expensive. Bottom-line: it's a fine tasting beer but not necessarily worth the money.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark reddish orange with small head. Smells like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. Smells like Christmas time. Heavy nutmeg and cinnamon flavor. Cinnamon last a while on the palate. Smooth base beer, but can't taste much of it through all the spice. Slight hint of booze and alcohol warmth. Definitely a nice winter ale if you are in the mood for sweet with the spice rack thrown in. Hits what it is going for, but really just fun for the holidays. Otherwise not my thing.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Hmmm...what to say about this beer??? It was my third 22oz of the night and also least potent in ABV. Hazy memory on this review. Very Christmas-y in theme and taste. Love the bottle so I drank it straight from there. It's got that nutmeg, allspice, pear cidery vibe. Slightly sweet. No hoppy element, registering 12 on the IBU scale. Poured a little sample out to check the dark brown color, normal amount of head. Wasn't too enthused overall with the taste. Def not a session beer! Couldn't drink more than one!

I must say the frog on the front is the best part of the beer.

4.75/5  rDev +27%