Hop Dam Triple IPA | Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by imaguitargod on 02-14-2010

Reviews: 138 | Ratings: 341
2.23/5  rDev -43.3%

On a perpetual IPA kick-and haven't tried any of Hoppin Frogs IPAs- so I picked this one up at VE.

A- Body is a nice hazy dark copper/amber hue. Pours with a minimal head which soon fades to a thick collar and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

S- The nose is very earthy. Earthy and herbal hops abound everywhere. A hint of spicy hops is in there too. Lots of alcohol astringency and a grainy malt backbone.

T- Herbal, grassy and spicy hops upfront. A hint of citrus in the background. The finish turns a little as the greeness of the herbal hops really comes out and a nail polish like alcohol astringency comes through as well as a grainy bitterness. Left to linger is a trace of herbal hops, and a big hop and alcohol bitterness.

M- Low to medium carbonation, and a slightly oily hop body-medium weight. Actually the body is done quite well and is the highlight of the beer. I wish more IPAs had a similar mouthfeel.

O- Esentially I wasted $18 on a disgusting mess. As I drink more I am really not liking it anymore although the mouthfeel is growing on me. Worth a try- if sharing with a million people.

2.28/5  rDev -42%

On tap at Hops and Pie. Dark orange, minimal head. Overwhelming aroma of paws an cheese, sort of foot like, Summit hops? Flavor was more Parmesan, extremely bitter and very unpleasant to say the least. I feel sorry for anyone who dropped $18 on this, it sucks.

2.34/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured a bright orange with lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of sediment. Easily the chunkiest beer I have ever seen. A light soap ring of a head.

Doesn't really smell all that hoppy for a TRIPEL IPA, a light medicinal quality with a bit of mineral.

The flavor is a big grassy bitter mess, mild toasted malts sort of sneak through, but its bitter herbal and grassy hops. It seems to be missing most of the tasty hop flavors and just full of bitterness and old lawn clippings with some alcohol sweetness.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, literally chewy.

This beer is an absolut train wreck of a giant IPA, will avoid in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Review from Feb 2012

Poured from a 22 I got from the brewery earlier this year. Should be fresh.

A: Pours a golden, almost amber color with a dense white head. Head slowly fade to just a ring around the exterior and leaves no lacing behind.

S: My first thought as I poured this one was overwhelmingly of fresh wet grassy aromas. As I smell the beer more I get some bubblegum and perhaps a bit of citrus and onion.

T: Taste is not as bitter as I was expecting from this "triple ipa". Flavors are hoppy and the oniony smell is translating into the flavor, which I don't care for. Mid sip grassy flavors are present along with a sweetness from the grain. As the beer warms I can taste more citrus/grapefruit flavors, but the onion taste dominates.

M: Great medium full body with a good amount of carbonation. This beer does not leave much bitterness behind. I've had IPAs that tasted more bitter than this.

O: While this was a well crafted beer with little to no off flavors I was expecting more. As noted above I've had single IPAs that taste more bitter than this and leave a more bitter aftertaste (ex: huma lupa licious). Also, whatever kind of hop gives that onion flavor (summit?) is disgusting. This reminds me of Gubna in that aspect, and I don't enjoy that beer either.

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, light amber color with lopsided off-white foam residue. Scant lacing remains on the glass and suspended sediment is heavy to the point of being distracting.

S: Light caramel and a trace of herbaceous and piney hops make for a smell that is unremarkable, considering the style, yet inoffensive. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with early artificial pine hop aromatics, muted butterscotch, and husky crystal malt that is backed by mild acidity. Flavors turn earthy in the middle, intensely English in the qualities presented by the hops, but a bit reckless. Columbus hop flavors become aggressive in the finish--very bitter with medicinal overtones that are not helped either by some late booziness that is present.

M: Medium viscosity, while it is astringent on the palate it stops short of disaster, with low carbonation.

D/O: Another kitchen-sink DIPA that embraces a more-must-be-better philosophy but comes across as muddled at best. Lingering astringent bitterness wrecks the palate, but no payoff is provided.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours dark bronze with a ton of floating sediment. Head is slight and soapy, leaving a thin sheen.

Aroma is caramel and toffee with a mild musty hop quality reminiscent of nugget hop, or wet hay.

Taste is more of the musty, nuggety hop funk from the nose, but much more pronounced, along with an intense piney quality that somehow doesn't match up. Very dry and woody with a touch of nut. The caramel and toffee also make an appearance, but are understated in the flavor. Finishes with tobacco and an odd musty funk.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Quite thick.

Overall a very unusual flavor. Musty and funky, with massive piney and floral undertones. Not what I was expecting.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

No bottle date. I'm assuming it's fresh.

A: Pours a clear straw/gold body with substantial off-white head. Retention isn't great, and neither is the lacing.

S: Solventy! Leafy, tea-like hops with pine and some citrus.

T: Not as solventy as the nose. Actually not a bad flavor. Dominated by leafy, tea-like hops with pine needles and a touch of grapefruit rind. My issue is that it's really harsh, astringent, and bitter. Not a lot of hop flavor but there is a lot of hop bitterness.

M: Full-bodied, heavy, with low carb.

D: It's not awful... But again, it's harsh, astringent, and very bitter. Not particularly enjoyable, and it's not something I would recommend as anything more than a middling benchmark of the style.

2.83/5  rDev -28%

Thanks to CaptCleveland for sending me a box overflowing with Hoppin' Frog, including this big bellower as an extra. Opened with a 1917 German cavalry sword & tossed into two glasses.

Pours a solid orange that could qualify as toxic sludge; it looks coiled to strike. Nose of dirty, earthy pineapple, punctuated with bitterness. Huh.

Hop Dam Triple IPA should have dialed back the malts & let the hops shine through; this wanders into muddied barleywine territory. Big sweet malts greet the palate with a crushing handshake, along with caramel, slight oxidation (never a fan), before the hops show their faces. But they're faces obscured by malts. Good bittering, but whatever flavors the triple hopping imparted are subsumed in a flow of malting. Light on carbonation & heavy in the tummy, really kicks the drinkability in the sac; my wife ended up finishing my half of the bomber.

I'm not sure, but I think this is too malty. Did I mention that? It is. Too many breweres triple or double everything & end with a malt bomb, & this is that. Not bad, but just a fingernail above mediocre.

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Appears a bright copper amber when poured into my Allagash chalice, off white khaki off white head forms thick after a vigorous pour. I can tell the body is a bi viscous after the pour and carbonation has a hard time keeping up with the loads of malt and hops pushed into this beer. Fine even speckled patterns of lacing with each sip form on the sides of my glass.

Aroma has a strong assaulting onslaught of hops going on including fresh cut green onions and strong aromatic citrus peels. This reminds me a lot of Green Flash DIPA, a bit of pungent Mary Jane and tropical fruit tones blend in as well. Alcohol comes through amongst the wave of hops, malts do back up the hops but this one has potential to burn nostril hairs.

Flavor has an abusive level of hop bitterness and flavor. Raw herbaceous hops collide with booze to provide quite the unbalanced beast, which is what your going for with a Triple IPA. Hop pellets loads hit the palate with Grapefruit rinds, pine, and more green onion. It almost numbs the palate, so much that the balance between the malts and hops is completely abolished even in the hoppiest brews around I love for there to be some harmony rolling between the barrage of hop bitterness/flavors with the malts and alcohol. This one hits me with the booze and hop abrasiveness, and that pretty much sticks around. My palate is shot for further drinking and savoring of any other brews for the evening. Really not an enjoyable experience going on here.

Mouthfeel, this brew numbs the palate with hop bitterness and alcohol burn, it doesn't hide the 10% abv at all this is a booze bomb. Between those two abrasive qualities it doesn't make for a pleasant experience, carbonation I have no complaints with but the alcohol burn in my nares and on my breath doesn't do it for me. There are plenty of DIPAs out there that have the same alcohol without the abrasive fusel quality.

Drinkability overall is pretty poor too damn extreme for it's own good, throwing loads of hops and malts doesn't always equate to good beer. I love most of this small brewer's efforts but this one most definitely strikes out with me, at a beerfest a couple years back I drank silk porter ran through a tower of coffee beans and it was mindblowingly drinkable and flavorful at the same time.

2.97/5  rDev -24.4%

It pours a hazy gold with large chunks of yeast in it. I poured gently into two glass without a full stop and left a half inch in the bottle, but the second glass still got yeast.

The smell is a nondescript hoppiness, the taste is similar with a strong bitter astringency.

This is just not an impressive beer, and I am skeptical that it is a triple IPA. The hop profile is just uninteresting and not particularly intense. Seems more like an average standard DIPA to me.

With the recent price gouging trend, I am incorporating value into my reviews. For the price, this should be one of best beers in the world. It as far from it. Go buy 4 bottles of Lagunitas Hop Stoopid instead (or 2.5 bottles of Pizza Port Hop 15, a 6-pack of Hop Slam, etc.)

First $18.00 bucks for a pint bottle, holy shit.

Poured into a glass from an ice cold bottle. Darker in color almost amber in color. Nice carbonation, poured aggressively it produced a 2 finger head. I do smell citrus and hints of pine.

The mouth feel is medium not overly thick but not thin. Nice carbonation.

I immediately get the bitter notes with a hint of citrus, I does have an aftertaste with some lasting bitterness. I am also getting a slight oiliness with the mouth feel.

Its good but the price and the aggressive bitter aftertaste would not bring me back to this one.

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to Ataraxia for this extra. Hop Dam pours a completely opaque color that lies somewhere between light-copper and swampy-brown. Murky to the core and obviously unfiltered, the off-white cap retains well for a brew with higher alcohol content and leaves an extremely generous amount of fat and sticky lacing along the sides of the glass. Even once the beer is gone, some white lace remains near the top.

I stick my face into the glass and my nose is hit immediately with a bunch of sweet malts. I find this problem (although I don't know if it should be considered a "problem" per se) often with "Triple" IPAs or IPAs that are "over the edge"... the malt bill must be large enough to stand up to the crazy overload of hops, and in turn, the beer becomes more of a sweet malty concoction rather than a hop-heavy bitter bruiser. The initial whiff of Hop Dam seems to be leading me down this road.

There are definitely some sticky citrus aromas, along with a light pungency of pine and floral hops, but there's no mistaking the huge malt backbone in this one. Lots of caramel, toffee, and butterscotch aromas that actually outplay the hops by quite a bit. Very sweet and almost candy-like to the nostrils. It doesn't smell bad, but I don't know if I wan't my IPAs to smell like this exactly.

As expected, the first sip induces a great amount of bread, toasted caramel, and super huge toffee flavors into my palate. The beer is quite heavy; sticky and thick and borderline chewy, which plays even more into the hands of the heavy malt bill. Hops are sadly secondary, but they do eventually surface once the initial malt-shock mellows out and subsides. They have a lightly citric, but mostly earthy character.

The bitterness provided by the hops barely puts a dent in the sweetness from the malt. I wouldn't go so far as to call Hop Dam "cloying", but I certainly don't want my IPA to be this sweet. Once the taste of the earthy, dirty, mildly-citric hops fades, the aftertaste is left with the leftover malt flavors. The palate finishes with big-time caramel and toffee that coats your taste buds to the (not-so-bitter) end. A little more lively carbonation would have help the thick, sticky mouth feel on this one.

It's not like this beer was offensive or tough to put down, but it doesn't really qualify as much of an IPA to me, let alone a "triple" IPA. I don't care how many hops actually went into the brew kettle - when a beer contains this much malt sweetness coming through in the final flavor profile, you are out of IPA territory. In my opinion, just a "meh" beer on almost every front - nothing exciting happening here, especially not for IPA lovers.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a dark caramel with a thin white head.

Dense hops on the nose. I think it might be too intense to process.

Extremely hoppy. Some boozy flavors, but the hop oils takeover. Its hard to appreciate much of the complexity. Pine cones, tons of pine cones. Very astringent on the finish.

Sticky, oily, full body.

I thought Mean Manalishi was too much of a good thing and this has 50% more hops than that. Overboard.

3.21/5  rDev -18.3%

picked up this kermit brew in a recent Ohio trip. Was excited to try it.

A - Poured into a pint glass (the first pour) was a nice dark orange almost amber color with a 1/2" white froth. The last pour brought out sediment that hung around the liquid like strawberry seeds in a smoothie.

S - Nice fresh pine hop smell with some malts in there too. not much fruit in there at all.

T - Slightly bitter pine with a dry flat aftertaste. Was a bit unimpressed here. At first the pine hops hit pretty good but the finish was just...lacking.

M - Bitter, mildly carbonated and slightly flat.

O - Not one for me.

3.22/5  rDev -18.1%

750ml bottle thanks to G311.

Pours cloudy amber in color with a small off-white head that fades.

Aroma is sweet and malty with iced tea and citrusy, herbal, and resinous hops.

The flavor is a like a hard iced tea mixed with an imperial IPA. Sweet caramel malt with loads of grapefruit, resin, and herbal hop notes.

Full-bodied and syrupy with fairly low carbonation.

A little disappointing overall. I wouldn't say it's below average for the style, but I wouldn't say it's much above average either. Not so easy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

bottle into a Duvel tulip
Taste is led by the nose. Grapefruit, pine, citrus, some sweetness but mostly hops and alcohol. Body is average for this style. I would love to describe the subleties of this beer but they are lost on me. As much as I love hoppy, these are intense and overpowering anything and everything else. As far as drinkability or sessionable - nope. The combination of the hops and the alcohol (and the expense) render this a one-time thing.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

Enjoyed on 3/29/11. Reviewed from notes

A: Pours a thick red color, slightly hazy w/ a half finger head. Dissipates quickly

S: Tropical fruit/berry smell in the hops. Some fruit caramel as well.

T: A very prevalent caramel malt along with a nice strong hop flavor, more subtle than grapefruit, more straight citrusy. Not as bitter as other DIPAs but no boozy taste either. As it warms a little bit of heat is noticeable.

M: Definitely a little syrupy. Good carb as well

O: Very drinkable for 10%. A solid DIPA but nothing outstanding on this one.

3.39/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

As I've grown to be more of a hop head over the years, attempting to see what the populist craze was really about, this beer has become more decadent to me. Although, still to this day, the obsession of overly hopped brews still gets on my nerves.

Most recently had on draft 2/15/16, this pours an orange-ish copper with a moderate white foamy head, aromas of dank hops with orange and grapefruit aggressively assault the senses.

A nicely balanced dankness hits on the nose as well as the tongue, to the point it almost develops a sour profile. To me, I appreciate sour more than the overwhelming bitterness some double/"triple" IPAs produce, so this is actually quite a tasty, pleasant beer.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Belgium fishbowl glass. Not fresh off the shelf, but should be less than a year old (no date on bottle).

A: Cloudy, murky orange color with a small off-white head.

S: Funky, resiny, floral aroma. I didn't find it citrusy or piney, just lot's of woody resin aroma with a bit of alcohol.

T: Some piney hop flavors, but again I get a resiny taste that dominates. It's certainly a bold hop flavor that hits you up front.

M: Medium to full bodied, low carbonation.

D: This doesn't feel as smooth to me as a Hopslam or even the HF Double IPA. More of a sipping beer for the diehard hop fan.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

Crimson colored with a minute white head that fades into a thin whispy top with bubbly sides.

Christ hop dam indeed. This is layers of citrusy, piney hops, gooey hops, and more. Rich caramel but then it's all drowned out with the hops.

Good beer hoppier than hell but not much balance. Reminds me of Moylans hopsicle. Just a tounge biting bitter bruiser of hopmouth enamours. Citrus, pine, grapefruit, aspirin, more bitter hops a hint of malt and more hops.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

first of all they did call this a triple IPA, so i can't expect too much balance, you'll see what i'm talking about in a few...

I paid 13.99

I poured the 22oz bomber in a duvel tulip, the head was about a half inch thick,

But before i poured it, i could see a lot of the sediment acting very lively at the bottom, so i was warned to pour carefully, i did that just to see how long it would take before the sediment started to fight its way into the glass. I should of drunk the rest out of the bottle but i didnt, so the glass was kind of cloudy,,that was my fault.

the color was a red,orange,gold,

The smell was of earth,pines,and how can i explain it almost funk or pleasant mildew

the taste was bitter as expected but enough malt sweetness to try and fight back.

this IPA is definitely for those who like bitter dominant beers, you will get your moneys worth.

Mouthfeel is astringent, this could cure a sore throat.

Drinkability is a about one bomber, if you want to evaluate what you just digested. the chemistry that went on in here packs a punch.

In the end i would by a another bottle just to break bread with my partnas.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was excited to try this out as IPAs and double IPAs are dominating my beer purchases over the past few years. Never having tried a triple IPA I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I also enjoy the pumpkin ale from this brewer. The appearance of this beer is very intriguing with a murky dark orange appearance, with a healthy contingent of particulate matter and with exceptional sticky lace of an off white color. The aroma is less Pliny like and more Wonder bread than I would have expected. The taste is notable for alcohol, the aforementioned bread, pepper, and some hop bitterness coming through. The mouthfeel is resiny as you might have expected with triple hopping. This ain't bud light. Overall I enjoyed this beer and I would love to try this on draft sometime.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – This shows the requisite orangish-brown color with a nice, moderate head that left some decent lacing.

Smell – The hops are huge here at the nose but not like a dry-hopped beer. There is some strong grapefruit, fresh pine, and a light floral character. The malts are almost absent but should step things up at the taste.

Taste – The malt does take it up one small notch here with some added caramel sugar but hops dominate the flavor. It’s a very strong grapefruit taste with a pine that’s almost pepperminty and lots of bitter leaf notes.

Mouthfeel – This is a big medium-bodied with bone wrenching bitterness. I like the thick, slick feel of the beer but was a bit put off with the bitterness in this style.

Drinkability – This is definitely a sipping beer that was a little blunt for my preference. I think the balance missed the mark but otherwise it wasn’t bad.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter on 3/29/10 upon returning from the Vampire Weekend concert

Hop Dam is a bold copper color, dense & only slightly cloudy. Around the edges are burnt sunburst highlights. The first pour was rather tame so as not to disturb the settled yeast. Even still, two fingers of foam was manifest with ease. After several minutes the head has thinned to a decently large swath of bubbles. Retention is thin but it lasts until the end. Lacing is very good at the start but gets thin & spotty by the end. Lacing is much better on the second pour.

It's densely hoppy & unabashedly so. I can say there are notes of pine & notes of the usual citrus suspects. I can say there are a lot of said notes. I can even say there are some floral hints. All of these would be as true as they would be surprising, considering the nature of this hop monster. Indeed, the aroma is awash in an intense hoppiness. What of the malts, then? I reckon they are there, somewhere. Incidentally, while there are overtones of solvent, they aren't as pronounced as I would expect based on a few other Hoppin' Frog IPAs (though as it warms, the solvent becomes more apparent).

This beer is viciously dry & scathingly bitter. The extent of these attributes is not apparent until after each swig. After the beer has gone, the dryness seems to create a vacuum of sorts with the only thing to fill it being residual bitterness. All told, piney bitterness - sharp & unrelenting - is the most appreciable characteristic. Lemon & grapefruit undercurrents offer spiciness but the citric qualities are pushed to the peripheries. I was actually hoping for more citrus juiciness & floral aspects to be featured which would round out the otherwise overly brash pine tar attack. Alas, this is not the case. As with the nose, malts don't stand a chance.

Technically medium-bodied, Hop Dam, in terms of perception, is essentially full-bodied. At the very least it's as dense a beer as the term "medium" can handle. Likely this is due to the sheer amount of pine tar-like resin. Interestingly enough there isn't much pronounced grittiness. I don't believe I have had a beer with so much resin but so little grittiness. Carbonation isn't too vigorous; while just enough, it stays out of the way. As mentioned above, there is a long lingering bitterness on the finish. Alcohol heat isn't particularly noticeable but the overall effect is definitely warming.

One bomber is all I can manage. All things held equal, drinkability isn't too bad, but it isn't great by any means. I can't fault it too much since this is a "Triple IPA" with indeterminably "high IBUs." While I have no regrets, this isn't an IPA (triple or otherwise) I would consider buying again. Maybe if I saw it during happy hour at Bodega - maybe. Hop Dam is borderline palate abuse. Better call HR, Hoppin' Frog took this one too far.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Hop Dam pours a light rust color. It looks mostly clear, and it's slightly red when held to light. An off-white, vanilla looking head crowns the top. It rises to maybe a finger, and falls quickly. Too much abv? Perhaps. Lacing was sticky and quite substantial.

The nose isn't very strong. It kicks off with a blend of the citrus usuals (grapefruit, orange, and pineapple). Indeed the hops are primarily citric, but feature some light floral and pine notes. It smells like some of the edge might have been shaved off the hops by the strong presence of caramel malt. Oh yeah, it's here. Sweet and sugary it is. It's tough to tell how the malt/hop war will shake out, but it smells pretty well balanced. Alcohol isn't very noticeable.

The flavor isn't all that interesting. Definitely not as good as I'd hoped. It kicks off with a sweet, sugary mix of caramel and toffee flavors. No big surprise there. Hops follow and give it a nice citrus blast of orange, grapefruit, and pineapple. Maybe even a little mango. The hop flavor is tasty, and it has certain degree of bitterness. But, the malts really degrade the hop effect to a large degree. There's some residual bitterness in the aftertaste, but there's some caramel sweetness too. It's not bad, but it's a little too balanced for me. I still don't quite get the 'Triple IPA' concept. Alcohol is blended well. It's slightly noticeable in taste, but isn't warm. It finishes slightly bitter and sweet.

Hop Dam has a medium body. Carbonation is light and restrained. It is smooth and has a nice feel. Drinkability is above average. The flavor's alright, but isn't great by any stretch. I guess it goes down easy for a 10% beer, but I'm not overly enjoying it. I'll finish the bomber, but that's more than enough.

I'm starting to believe that Triple IPAs just aren't my thing. Hop Dam certainly doesn't have a shortage of hops, but it has an over-abundance of malt that counters the hops' effect. It seems that that's the formula for Triple IPAs. I'm yet to find one that I really love. Hop Dam's alright. It's definitely worth a try. But, it doesn't hold a candle to Mean Manalishi. If you're looking for a relentlessly bitter DIPA, go for that one. If you're more in the market for a big, sweet DIPA (or Triple IPA, if you will) that has nice hop flavor and balance, this might be your beer.

Hop Dam Triple IPA from Hoppin' Frog Brewery